What Now? Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Today. What about a month from now? Or two? I won't be able to fight."

"Alpha." He inhaled. "Stephanie." A light growl left her lips at his use of her name, but he continued on. "When you reveal you're carrying Cal's pup the attacks will stop. The pack will protect both you, and the pup. Anyone, within or without, who threatens you, will be torn apart by the others."

Three breaths, four. "Leave me."

"Alpha." Sampson left the room.

[My Alpha.] It was Paul.

She huffed. [Yes, Paul.]

[We need to address the transfer of assets.]

------

Lyssa was in court, with Emmett by her side. The Wyeth Alphas had decreed that, to minimize their exposure, he would be the only pack member there to support her.

Ronnie was suing her for defamation and emotional distress.

And, not only was Emmett her mate, he was also a witness. He had been there, in wolven form, when she had thrown Ronnie out and he had returned to harass and attack her.

Some of their old friends were also there to testify. They stared daggers at Lyssa. There were also a couple of young women there. Her lawyer had found a couple of his ex-girlfriends.

------

Nathan was still on desk duty. He had healed from his wounds, thankfully, but, while they were looking for the men who had shot him, the police force was much more interested in him. His cousins were on administrative leave as anyone Severn was suspect.

They were being investigated. Internal affairs was reviewing their cases and a couple of them had been there for a couple of decades. Thus far they had found nothing unusual.

There had been complaints of police brutality but no evidence of excessive force had been found. The couple of instances of weapon's discharge had been found justified. A second review of the incidents reiterated the conclusions. So, after looking at the big things, they were down to reviewing old police reports and were running out of steam.

A couple of the humans on the force complained that they had been denied promotions because the wolves had an unfair advantage.

The highest level of scrutiny was for an incident involving the death of one of the Severn wolves in the line of duty. It had been a dozen years prior but the interest level was high. The result wasn't a complete surprise, however, Andrew Severn had been shot in the head.

Fortunately for the members of Severn pack, they had good service records and the detectives had closed an impressive number of cases. Also, they made up a good portion of the local police force.

As Nathan's spouse, Joanna had found herself under heavy scrutiny herself. With all the whispers and stares, she had had enough and had dropped out of school. She was now at loose ends.

---

Patrols of the packs' range had changed. Whereas before they had run outside edges of their ranges as wolves, they now walked or ran their circuits in human form. The size of the ranges meant they included public roads. Because there were roads, there were curious people with cell phones and cameras.

Some people had actually camped outside the gates of Severn and Wyeth. Some held signs that said things like 'Humans first' or 'Monsters live here'.

Some of their suppliers backed out of contracts saying they were invalid because they weren't human. To those who supplied meat, however, the packs were the bulk of their revenue. The contracts remained, but prices went up. While they had the lawyers threaten to sue for discrimination, the packs were also working with some local, district and state politicians to see if they could be included in the listing of groups that could be targets of hate crimes. That way discrimination against them would be considered a crime. As a large block of potential voters, they held some sway.

Exposes and you-tube videos were posted, most not worth the bandwidth they took up. Some were grainy videos of actual wolves and most were posted for titillation of the masses.

People were keeping children and pets indoors and were keeping particularly tight rein on their daughters.

Unfortunately, if only for the attention, some female was bound to say she'd been attacked and ravished by a wolf. Lyssa worried about Emmett because of his distinctive coloring.

And, while they all had birth certificates and most had social security numbers, licenses and deeds to property, officials were insisting on inspecting the properties - afraid of captives, torture, or mistreatment of livestock.

In addition to sparring, they began to practice pegging rocks at airborne targets. Guns were few in any pack other than Severn; they certainly didn't need them to hunt, and they had little chance now of getting any. But you could pitch a decent-sized rock at one of those little flying drones and bring it down.

Emmanuel, as a minor, was shielded from most of the furor. He knew the adults were worried and that things had changed but not why or what to do.

Emmaline was in a tizzy and had begun to spend time in the bunker. Emmanuel would curl up with her and they'd comfort each other to sleep.

His father had told him not to go to the cottage alone. It was too far for someone to come if he ran into trouble, especially since he couldn't send.

Everyone chafed at the restrictions. It was spring and a great time to go out and run.

-----

Lyssa sat heavily in the first chair she came across and scrubbed her hands over her face. She then tipped her head back against the back of the chair and closed her eyes, heaving a big sigh.

Emmett quietly walked up behind her and put his hands on her shoulders.

After a couple of minutes, she raised a hand to place it on one of those on her shoulder. She then opened her eyes and looked up into her mate's concerned face. "Guess we should go talk to the Alphas, huh?"

"Yes, dear heart, we should."

She rose with another sigh. He laced his fingers with hers and they went in search of the Wyeth Alphas.

The judge had dismissed the defamation suit since it was difficult to impugn the reputation of a man who had hit a dog with a crowbar, blackened a girlfriend's eye, and torched a house. The judge also, grudgingly, acceded to the fact that the police couldn't protect everyone and that women who had taken out restraining orders were sometimes still killed by spurned partners. He believed that the potential for violence gave her reason to hide.

However, Ronnie was awarded a settlement for emotional distress. His arm held a scar where Emmanuel had bitten him and he still feared he could turn into 'one of them'. Emmanuel had been in wolf form when he delivered the bite; the young typically only used wolf or human form. And all the humans that had been changed were bitten when the wolf was in intermediate form. Something about the duality of that form imparted the ability to make the transition from human.

The settlement amount was substantial and would eat into the pack's finances.

----

Lorelei had had an interesting reaction to Thomas' change.

She was taken aback for a few seconds and he watched her face carefully. He expected fear, screaming, and stepped back to flee when she smiled, said, "Cool," and stepped forward to touch him. "Glad I'm not allergic," she murmured.

Their fur was short in the intermediate form and better resembled the undercoat. Therefore, it was quite soft.

They had fucked while he was in that form and she had enjoyed the feeling of his fur against her skin. Unfortunately, they didn't know if he could make her pregnant, so he still had to wear the hated condom.

She had then asked questions, while running her fingers through his fur. He had put her off, telling her she couldn't tell anyone or he wouldn't be allowed back.

He did answer one question as he fell into a postcoital doze. "Does your family know you're a werewolf?"

"'Course."

When they woke from their sated sleep, however, his admonition seemed moot. The airwaves were filled with reports of a police officer turning into a wolfman, including a grainy, jerky video. And a small child (between the name and picture they weren't sure of its sex) talking about a little boy changing into a dog.

She turned to him, mouth open. "Do I still have to keep it a secret?"

He turned to her, back in his human form, and took her lower lip in his teeth while tugging at the ring in her nipple. "Yes."

She groaned. "MMmm. OK."

Lorelei realized Thomas was right a couple of days later.

Although she regaled her girlfriends regularly with some tales of her sexual exploits and she almost burst to tell someone her secret, the world had gone a bit mad.

There were threats of violence, of rounding them up, of locking them up. And worse. An ebay auction for a werewolf skin got into the tens of thousands before it was pulled from the site. Of course, there was no indication the person behind it actually had one.

Lycanthrophiles protested against lycanthrophobes. Taunts grew to pushing, shoving, and punches. A young woman ended up with a knife wound.

So, she kept quiet.

And enjoyed the benefits of fucking a werewolf.

---

Sharilyn, healer of the Ross pack, scoured the records of her Madam Alpha, her Alpha. Looking over her injuries, the reports of her heats, and the eating diaries that Derek had started for her. Her Alpha's heats were irregular and they were trying to find a means to predict them.

She'd heard the Alpha had seen the Wyeth's healer and was irked that her own Alpha had not come to her. She was trying to figure out what was wrong. Finally, she snapped shut the files; she'd had enough. [Alpha!]

[Healer. What is it?]

[I need to speak with you.]

[Is your need urgent?]

Sharilyn's conviction faltered somewhat. [Umm, no.]

[I'll find you later.]

[Of course, Alpha.]

There was a lot of paperwork involved in changing the ownership of the pack's assets into her name. As a matter of course, she also had to establish beneficiaries. Stephanie named Sampson to most, Amanda to others.

She worried the pen, growled at everyone.

After four hours, she could stand it no longer. She called a halt and ran outside.

Sampson sent Mathias to shadow her. As their Alpha, and pregnant, she needed to be protected with the current tumult. Of course, she could take care of herself. Without Calvin, she was the pack's best fighter, but people, humans, could be out there with guns. Or worse.

Stephanie ran, zigzagging across the range. She ran from her responsibility. She ran to take stock of her body. And she ran just to run.

Silent feet trod spring grasses, old leaves. Small, soft green leaves brushed her coat. She inhaled. Prey.

She brought down a rabbit after a brief chase and quickly ripped into the carcass. Warm flesh. Warm blood. It tasted so good.

Stephanie licked the blood from her muzzle and curled up in the sun. Mathias stood watch nearby and reported the location and condition of their Alpha.

Dinner she decided to have in the Alpha suite. She was in no mood to have all of them stare at her.

She sent the steak back, twice. The third time it came back thick, warm, and bloody. That, she ate with relish.

Sharilyn came to the suite that evening and knocked. "M.. Alpha, I must speak with you."

Stephanie did not look forward to this conversation but it wouldn't be any better if she waited. She couldn't put it off forever. She thought of some of the things Calvin had done, things he had taught her without her knowing. Sharilyn would be upset she hadn't been consulted would also tell her to keep the pup. What Sampson had said made sense but...

Sharilyn waited and was about ready to give up and talk to the Beta when Stephanie called out. "Enter."

She screwed up her courage, squared her shoulders, and walked in. "Alpha, I understand you saw Wyeth's healer while..."

"I'm having a pup."

Sharilyn stopped dead. "Alpha?"

"I'm. Having. A pup."

"That's wonderful." Sharilyn looked to her Alpha, who did not look particularly pleased. Her voice softened. "But it is, Alpha. Another pup for the pack. An heir to Alpha. The pack will be pleased. It's too bad..." Sharilyn stopped, seeing the look on Stephanie's face. "I'm sorry, Alpha. May I examine you?"

Stephanie sighed. "Can you do it here?"

'It won't be complete, but yes."

Stephanie disrobed. "I want this kept secret."

"No one else knows?"

"Sampson."

"It will be good for pack morale. On the bed, please, Alpha."

Stephanie laid back and gritted her teeth as she was poked and prodded. Sharilyn hummed and felt and examined her lower body with more intensity. A growl crawled up her throat. "I'm sorry, Alpha, but with your history, I want to be sure you won't be harmed by carrying your pup and that you will be able to support him as he grows."

"Him?"

"Just an expression, Alpha. All but one of Sabine's pregnancies were male pups. She had so much trouble keeping a pregnancy. We took to keeping her in bed."

"I can't do that."

"Alpha." Sharilyn exhaled and stood. "You will if it's needed to bring your pup to term." She walked into the bathroom and washed her hands. "I would like to do a proper exam but everything looks fine. Let me know if there is any bleeding."

Stephanie swallowed. "Of course."

---

Sampson and Phil had been moved into a larger space, displacing a pair of the pack's younger males.

Phil was waiting for Sampson to come to bed. He was worrying the seam on the edge of the chair. And he was worried for Sampson. The challenges of the day before scared him and he wasn't sure it wouldn't happen again.

The pack was unsettled, upset. They were the only pack led by a female, and, for some, a female who had been an Omega only a couple of years prior.

Sampson finally walked in, looking very preoccupied. He sat heavily in the other chair, put his head against the back of the chair, and sighed.

He felt Phil move around behind him. Fingers gently stroked his temples, then dropped to knead his shoulders. "What is it? What's wrong?"

"I can't say. She told me not to tell anyone."

There were only a couple of 'shes' who could do that. Most likely would be their Alpha. "The Alpha, something's wrong?"

"No. Not exactly." He caught himself. "I told you I can't say."

"OK. But shouldn't the pack know?"

Sampson sat upright. "Drop it!" he growled.

Phil tensed at the growl but forced himself to relax and circled to the front of the chair. He half-whispered. "OK. Can I pick something else up, then?" He smiled, kneeling before Sampson. He ran his hand, slowly, up Sampson's thigh. Sampson sucked in a breath.

"That won't solve anything."

"But you'll sleep, instead of worrying."

Sampson looked into those blue eyes, framed with blond curls, looking up at him with concern. "I'm sorry I've been out of sorts."

"Ah, my Beta, let me take care of you." Phil got up, leaned forward, and kissed him. [Beta, get naked.] Though Sampson was the pack's Beta, in the bedroom Phil was more forward, more dominant. While one hand cupped the back of Sampson's head, deepening the kiss, the other was roaming his body, working down his chest to the bulge that had formed in his pants.

Sampson exhaled. [Can't get naked this way.]

Phil chuckled against his lips. [I could manage something.]

Sampson's hands went to Phil's shoulders and he pushed, gently. Phil pulled at Sampson's lower lip as he moved back. And Sampson rose, looking up slightly at the younger male. Phil was a couple of inches taller.

While keeping eye contact, he dragged his shirt over his head. Phil had a slight smile on his face at the sight and smell of his mate. And he licked his lips at what would come next. His eyes followed the two strong hands to the waistband and held his breath as the button was released and the fly unzipped. His voice was a whisper, "Slowly."

At that one quiet word Sampson's attention shifted away from the cares of the pack to the young male he now shared his life with. With a slight smile, Sampson turned and began to push the pants off his hips. Phil bit his lip. "Leave the shorts."

Sampson bent down. Phil sucked in a breath at his view of his mate's ass, muscles flexing as Sampson removed shoes and socks. Phil had gotten him, finally, to wear something other than tighty whities, though he still hadn't worn the red yet Sampson's hips were covered in blue. Phil stepped forward, placed a kiss between his shoulder blades as Sampson straightened, and slid his arms around the older male's body. One hand moved up, to tweak a nipple, while the other slid down to flirt with the waistband of those shorts.

Sampson closed his eyes as his heart began to race. He felt the hands, felt the firmness of the shaft behind him.

Sampson's hand reached for any part of Phil he could get to. Thigh. Hip. Shoulder. He got ahold of Phil's hair and dragged his face down for a kiss. Their mouths were hungry, questing. Then, a nip, a touch of the tongue, warm breath, lips on skin, fingers searching. And the scent. They were enveloped by each other's smell.

Their bodies filmed with sweat, particularly where they were skin to skin. Other fluids rose as well. Pre-cum welled from the stiffened lengths of both. Sampson pushed back against Phil's hardened staff. And Phil ground himself into Sampson's ass, groaning.

Phil pulled away a bit and shucked his pants, grasped the waist band of Sampson's shorts with his teeth and dragged backwards. It was an interesting idea but didn't quite work, the front snagging on the head of Sampson's cock. So, Phil reached out, sliding his hands inside the shorts, lightly stroking Sampson's length before pulling those blue shorts off.

Sampson got his knees under him as Phil slid forward, the front of his shaft moving up the cleft in Sampson's ass. After a couple more light thrusts Phil covered his cock in saliva and began pushing in, groaning as he did so. Sampson exhaled. Phil stroked him while moving slowly in and out. He tightened his grip slightly and Sampson began thrusting into his hands. As he pulled back, he drove Phil deeper. It wasn't too long before Sampson groaned and stiffened, shuddering.

Phil gave him a few seconds of recovery before grasping Sampson's hips and beginning to pound. Phil unleashed his torrent and collapsed, kissing the side of Sampson's head. "Mm, love you."

---

Madeline was nestled against Erich's side. She had been clingy, edgy, worried. It was the height of planting season and, though the gardens weren't far from the back of the house, she had resisted going out without two or three males. And, still, any noise had her whirling, cringing. He had no idea how to help her and, unfortunately, had too much to do himself right now.

Erich was both a Beta and Wyeth's best tracker and, as a consequence, was very busy. Though he fell into bed exhausted at night, his dreams were plagued by nightmares.

The den overrun by humans.

Fire.

Men with high powered weapons.

Pack members, wolves he loved, Madeline, being hurt, killed.

The pack had high level meetings, the Alphas, himself, and Emmett, the first Beta. They talked strategy, security, and noted anything unusual on their range. They talked with the other packs and shared ideas and strategies. In addition, he was teaching several of the pack to read sign. They had good eyesight, smell, and hearing, which was even better, in some respects, in wolven form. They could all hunt and follow a track but reading signs and tracks took thought, or insight.

The next best tracker in the pack was a 15 year old female.

Mercy was tired and getting frustrated. Some of the things she was trying to show them were pretty simple and she didn't understand why they couldn't see it. It was so obvious.

And, on top of that, she was running along with a number of the sweeps, just as Erich was.

At least, sometimes when she went out with a sweep, Jamie was on the run.