What the Hell is Going On?

Story Info
Is it a prank?
6.4k words
3.71
59k
59
Story does not have any tags
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Skippy47
Skippy47
1,830 Followers

WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON?

As usual, Harvey was in his recliner with a beer in his hand watching a ballgame on the big screen TV. Betsy went upstairs after dinner chores. He had no idea what she was doing. He didn't particularly care. As far as he knew, it was just another night at home. Just before 7:00, however, the doorbell rang. Before Harvey could get up, Betsy yelled from upstairs, "Harvey, could you get that, please?"

"Sure. I was going to anyway." He went to the door and opened it to find a nicely dressed man who was not familiar to him.

"Yes, can I help you? I hope you're not selling something."

"No. I'm here to pick up Betsy."

"For what?"

"We have a date."

Harvey's eyes bugged out. "You and my wife Betsy have a date?"

"Yeah."

Harvey stood there a moment trying to figure out what to do, "Let me go get her." He went to the bottom of the stairs and yelled up, "Betsy, your DATE is here." He was expecting her to say, 'What date?' or 'It's not really a date.' Instead, she said, 'Tell him I'll be right there.' Harvey just stood and wondered what was happening. When she reached the living room, she was dressed in a short party dress showing lots of cleavage and a face with lots of makeup. Harvey asked, "Betsy, tell me what the hell is going on?"

"I'm going on a date."

"Married women don't go on dates with anyone except their husband."

"This married woman does. I am sick and tired of spending my nights looking at you drinking beer and watching curling or some other exciting sport. The most I get out of you is a belch or a fart. And you don't even apologize anymore when you do! When is the last thing we did that was exciting? If you can't provide me any attention or an occasional opportunity for fun, I'll find someone who can." She was poking her index finger in his chest for emphasis. "Now, don't wait up for me. If I get lucky, I may not be back until morning." She stomped out slamming the door behind her.

Betsy got into the waiting car and told the driver to take off. Once away from the sight of the house, he stopped and the two started laughing. Betsy spoke, "I wish I had a picture of the look on his face. It was priceless. If that doesn't shock him into changing from a sloth into a regular person, I don't know what will."

"You don't think it might piss him off and make things worse?"

"I doubt it. He'll probably just sit there and wonder what happened. I'll be back before he can get too upset. I don't think he would consider divorce so quickly but I'm willing to take the chance. I probably shouldn't have added that part about not being home until tomorrow. Oh well, too late now. The way our marriage has been going, I think I might rather get a divorce than continue like we have been. Damn him. I love the big lug head to death, but I just wish he cared more about himself and us. Oh well, drive around the block and I'll go back in and see how he's doing."

After a loop of the neighborhood, Betsy and her 'date' pulled into the driveway and parked. Harvey did not come running out as Betsy was half-expecting. She went in and didn't see him in the living room although the TV was still on. She made a quick check around the downstairs and called for him upstairs. No response. Next, she called him on his cell phone. She heard a ring. It was coming from upstairs. Betsy ran up and saw his cell phone on the nightstand. His wedding ring was next to it. She made a quick scan of the room. A few of his personal items were missing. "Oh shit!"

Betsy ran downstairs to tell her friend what had happened and check the garage for his car. It was gone. The man asked, "Where do you think he is?"

"He probably went to a bar to get drunk. At worst, he might even spend the night in a motel. I imagine, he's pouting like a little kid. He'll pay for this when he gets back and has gotten over my joke. On the other hand, his leaving may be a good thing after all. If he feels bad for forcing me to go out on him to get him motivated, I don't mind letting him keep feeling bad for a little longer."

Harvey did not come back or call that night, nor the next morning. Later the next afternoon when Betsy couldn't take it anymore, she called Harvey's personal secretary well after he should have returned from lunch. "Barbara, would you connect me with my husband, please."

"No can do. Betsy, what the hell is going on? Harvey comes staggering in this morning and tells me to shut up and listen. He tells me that he is taking the day off because he has lots of personal business to take care of. Then he asks me who handles our company's health insurance. I told him the girl's name in the HR department that handles health insurance. That did it for him wanting to talk to me anymore. He left without saying thanks or anything. That's not like Harvey at all. Do you know what happened to him? Did some close relative die or something?"

"I'M what happened to him. I pulled a stunt that backfired. Once I talk to him and kiss his ass a while, I'm hoping he will return to normal. Now, can you transfer me to that girl in HR?"

"Sure."

"Human Resources, Rhonda."

"I'd like to speak to Sylvia, please."

"She's in orientation with a new employee right now, can anyone else help you?"

"Can anyone tell me what Harvey Strickland did today with HR?"

"I can pull his record, but I have to have his permission to give you any information."

"I'm his wife. Can't you tell me anything?"

"I can look up your coverage under his policy. Hold on, let me look... That's a coincidence, we are supposed to contact you today anyway. You are to be officially notified by mail that you are no longer covered under your husband's health insurance. You can retain coverage for 180 days before it will expire if you pay the premium. That's the only thing he changed."

A stunned Betsy just whimpered, 'Thank you' and hung up. "Why would Harvey take me off his health insurance?" Then it hit her. She immediately went to her computer to check their online accounts at the bank. The checking and savings account had both had half the money withdrawn. "Oh, shit. He's in the process of divorcing me."

Betsy couldn't decide what to do next. She had not pondered long before her phone rang. It was their life insurance agent and friend, Larry.

"This is Betsy. Hi Larry."

"Betsy, can you tell me what the hell is going on? Harvey came in here, cancelled the automatic withdrawal payments for your life insurance and changed the beneficiary for his life insurance to the girls. No money is to go to you. In addition, the automatic withdrawal to pay for the life insurance has been transferred to a new account. He said he was sure that he wanted it that way. I'm going to have to send you an official notice about the change of beneficiary and the termination of payment for your life insurance. I'm sorry. I assume you guys must be splitting up. Betsy, I'm sorry about this. Please come see me as soon as possible to keep your life insurance from lapsing. Am I right about you two divorcing?"

"Yeah. Thanks. I can't tell you anymore right now."

"Well, you really didn't tell me anything."

"Yeah." She hung up.

Two minutes later, their lawyer, neighbor and friend Doug called. Betsy answered numbly. "Hello."

"Betsy, this is Doug. Can you tell me what the hell is going on? Harvey came in here and changed his will to where the kids get everything of his, and you get nothing. He also took you off the list of people who could be a medical POA for him. He refused to tell me why and said he didn't care if I told you. Then he asked me for a referral for a family lawyer. I assume you two have had a major problem and are considering divorce. Look, I can always change things back if you guys get back together. I sure am sorry that this is happening. Marilyn and I think the world of both of you. I have to run now but I wish both of you the best."

Betsy replied weakly, "Okay."

The next call was from their twin daughters who were rooming together in college. "Mom! What the hell is going on? Dad called us all depressed. He said you were dating and screwing other men. Then he told us he was going to be out of touch for a while so you could have the freedom to date others before the divorce. He said he has taken care of our future college expenses. We tried to ask questions, but he ignored us. He said to remember he loved us and hung up. Mom, we're scared Dad is going to harm himself. Can you tell us what happened to get him so depressed?"

"I am the one who has him depressed and I've been trying to find him to apologize. The problem is that I haven't had any luck finding him. Maybe I can try... Hey, I'm getting another call. Maybe it's your Dad."

"Call us back."

"Hello, Harvey?"

"No, this is your mother-in-law, Doris. What the hell is going on? My son called me crying like a baby. He said something about you gang-banging a bunch of men in some night club. He sounded drunk, so I wasn't sure how much of his story was true. All I know is he was very depressed. Anyway, he said he was going to solve the problem by giving you your freedom. Worst of all, he thanked me and his father for raising him correctly. Then he apologized for betraying his upbringing by letting us down. He said good-bye. I didn't like his tone of voice. He hung up before we could ask any more questions. He didn't answer his phone when we called him back. Betsy I'm scared he might do something stupid. What has happened between you two?"

"I've been trying to get Harvey to get out of his empty nest rut and enjoy life with his wife. I decided to do something crazy to shock him out of his doldrums. I pretended to go on a date with another man. I was out of the house for ten minutes. TEN LOUSY MINUTES! When I returned, he was already gone. Today, I've found out that he has done some things that look like he's going to divorce me. I've tried to find him so I can stop this madness, but I haven't tracked him down to talk to him."

"So, it is your fault my son is planning on killing himself. Let me tell you something: If he dies, I will hold you personally responsible." CLICK

Betsy couldn't think straight. She called all the local hotels and motels. Harvey was not listed as a client at any of them. Betsy called the police and tried to put out a missing person's report telling them that she feared he was going to kill himself. That info made no difference. She would have to wait another day before reporting. Betsy took some sleeping pills to sleep although the thought of killing herself if Harvey died crossed her mind.

She woke up groggy and turned on the news on the television. Local Channel 3 had a News Alert playing a live interview on the site of an accident :

"This is Lamar Jackson with TV3 news on the scene. It appears that Bender's Curve claimed another victim or victims last night. We're here with Sgt. Cantor of the state police. Sgt. Cantor can you tell us exactly what happened?"

"It appears that a vehicle went over the cliff. You can see that he or she managed to avoid the strongest part of the reinforced guard rails. The driver either got unlucky or he knew what he was doing."

"What does all the evidence tell you so far?"

"With the absence of evidence of thread marks that would be here if he tried to stop, it looks like the driver could have blacked out, been intoxicated from alcohol or drugs, or might have committed suicide."

"How did you find out there was an accident in the first place?"

"It was called in by a driver coming in the opposite direction. He's right here." The camera panned to a young man. The reporter went over.

"Young man, what's your name?"

"I'm Sean Carpenter. Am I on TV?... I just want to say hello to my mom. Hi, Mom." He was grinning ear to ear.

"Sean, tell us what you saw."

"Well, I was driving home when I saw this big truck heading my way. He was weaving some then came way over into my lane. I slammed on my brakes, and he suddenly swerved back to his right real fast and went into the guard rail and off the cliff."

"Can you describe the truck?"

"Sure, it was a red Ford F-150, probably a 2019. It had a Western Kentucky Hilltopper's decal on the rear window."

"Did you see who was driving it?"

"No, the truck's brights were on and I only got a brief glimpse of the person driving. He looked like a man. I don't think there were any passengers. That's all I know."

"Thank you."

"Sgt. Cantor, have you called in help for finding the truck that crashed through the guardrails?"

"Well, we don't know for sure what it was that went through the guardrail. We assume it was a truck now because of what Mr. Carpenter reported. There's no way to see from here what it was. There is a team we have for mountain search and recoveries, but they are doing a search and rescue in another part of the state right now. I'm not sure when they might be available to go down there and check it out."

"But what if someone is still alive down there and needs medical help?"

"Then you will have been at the scene of a genuine miracle. No normal person could have survived that drop on those rocks. I would not endanger the lives of anyone unqualified to attempt to make an expedition just to find out. We'll just have to wait for the Mountain Rescue Team."

Betsy didn't have to wait to assume what had happened and who was dead. She started mourning as soon as they said 'red, Ford F-150 with a WKU Hilltopper sticker.' She ignored the ringing phone. It was going into her third hour of bawling by herself before the twins got there. When she didn't answer phone earlier, they became worried and hurried back home to be with her. Their grandmother had called and told them the news on the TV about the red F-150. Despite not having a body, they were nearly certain that it was their father was at the bottom of the cliff.

The oldest twin answered her mother's phone when it rang. A law firm's name was on the ID line. "Hello, this is Betsy Strickland." She almost could not say the last name for chocking.

"Mrs. Strickland, my name is Chris Andrews. I am an attorney in the same office that your friend Doug works in. I was retained by your husband to represent him in the divorce proceedings. I should probably not be calling you, but Doug talked me into it. The Riverton Police from Caldwell County contacted me. They got called to the scene of a mugging. The person involved suffered a head injury. His wallet and keys were stolen. He was taken to the Emergency Room and went to surgery soon after. The John Doe was induced into a coma to ease pressure on his brain. The one thing he did have on him was his motel room key. They traced it back to a Harvey Strickland. Among the papers in his room as a copy of POA that made me in charge of his divorce settlement. That's why they called me. Your husband ordered me to handle the divorce because he didn't want you to have to deal directly with him in any way.

"I am obligated to tell you that you are not allowed to see him in the hospital. I am basing this decision on very clear verbal instructions Mr. Strickland gave me regarding his relationship with you. Your children, however, may visit him but I have a say in his treatment."

"What? He's my husband. Of course, I can see him."

"I'm sorry, but the POA he signed gives me and me only the decision-making power regarding the divorce and his medical care. I must follow his last verbal instructions. If you wish to hire an attorney to challenge this, go right ahead."

"Aren't the divorce proceedings cancelled because of his condition?"

"No, ma'am. I was given clear directions to pursue the divorce regardless of anything else although I don't think he foresaw getting mugged."

"Does that mean that all the financial, insurance and beneficiary actions he took are not going to be reversed?"

"Yes ma'am. Those were all completed by him and as of this moment, I see no evidence he wants them changed back."

"Of course, you can't. He's in a coma. This is ridiculous. I tricked my husband into believing I was going on a date with another man. When I returned to tell him it was a joke, he had already left. He got rid of his cell phone so I couldn't tell him it was a joke. There is no reason for a divorce and no reason for the actions he took towards a joke."

"I mean no disrespect, but that is what you say now. I have to go by what Mr. Strickland instructed me to do and confirmed in writing. I have no choice but to act how I have done. I hate to have to tell you this, but you will be served at work tomorrow as per Mr. Strickland's request. Once you have obtained an attorney, have him or her contact me about how to proceed."

"I don't care what you say. He's my husband and I'm going to see him if I want."

"I forgot to tell you. The envelope you will receive contains a restraining order against you to stay at least 1000 feet away from him. The petition he wanted is very generous. He stated that he wanted you to have a chance with the man you really wanted now."

Betsy informed the people present in her house of what the lawyer had said. Most couldn't believe what had happened. Betsy said she was going to the hospital no matter what they said. The girls agreed to accompany her. It didn't take long.

The hospital didn't have a copy of the restraining order, but he was not allowed any visitors because of the Covid restrictions on all hospital patients. They said that once he was moved to ICU, he could have limited visitation from one person at a time for ten minutes every two hours. Betsy and her daughters went back to the house unsatisfied.

By the time that Harvey was put in ICU, the restraining order had been delivered. One twin at a time was able to visit for what good it did. He was unconscious and if he understood anything they were saying, they couldn't tell.

In a few days, the Mountain Search and Rescue Team had found the truck. The man behind the wheel was assumed to be the mugger. Harvey's wallet was there with several of the hundreds from the $6000 were missing. The several bottles of rare Kentucky bourbon found were probably the reason. One was more than half empty.

Time went on. Betsy was in a financial bind. She had half of the assets but none of his income which he no longer had after his sick time and leave time had been paid. Harvey had neglected to transfer the deposit of his check to the couple's joint account that paid the mortgage and other bills. Betsy did hire an attorney who petitioned the court to give her access to half of the money left in the wallet.

Finally, it was time to take Harvey off the coma producing drugs and bring him back to consciousness. When he awoke, he said he did not know who he was. Temporary amnesia was the diagnosis. Lynda, one of the twins was the one who brought pictures and bring up memories to jog his memory. The efforts were futile. Nor did he remember the lawyer who had his Power of Attorney. In his condition, he was not deemed cognizant enough to break the POA.

When Harvey came out of his coma, he was given a memory quiz to see if there was any amnesia. Harvey had quickly figured out that was what they were doing and immediately decided to pretend amnesia. He was told his daughters wanted to see him.

Carol, the other twin was the first to see him. He asked her who she was. "Dad, I'm one of your daughters, Carol. You were mugged and went into a coma. We've been waiting to you to wake up."

"We?"

"Yes, my twin and Mom, your wife."

"I have a wife?"

"Yes."

"Why isn't she here?"

"She can't come right now. You two had a misunderstanding and you have a restraining order on her."

"Oh my goodness, does she want to harm me?"

"No, Daddy. She is not a threat to you. You got really mad at her."

"What for?"

"She pretended to go on a date with another man. Before she came back to tell you it was a joke, you had left and started divorce proceedings. Now that you're awake, you can cancel all that."

Skippy47
Skippy47
1,830 Followers
12