Whatever it Takes, Moxie

Story Info
The day she dumped her mean boyfriend she had a lucky break.
3.2k words
4.3
6.2k
3
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

By Egmont2022

Chapter 1

Hal Ray and Moxie George met by accident, as other couples have come together by accident when driving, riding, skiing or whatever.

Moxie and Tobi, her boyfriend of 19 months, met for Saturday lunch in the outdoor section of the Barnyard Country Café to discuss whether it was time to become engaged.

Chatting began amicably on engagement planning but when wedding day thoughts were broached, disagreement emerged, pushing discussion into an unforeseen stalemate.

Tobi threw down a virtual anchor: "No way do I want a church wedding."

"Oh, come on, Tobi. Don't be so adamant when this is only a preliminary discussion."

"Now hear this Moxie, you can talk and plead until blue in the face, but for me the three-ring circus known as a church wedding is off the agenda, irreversibly. If you insist on a simple ceremonial occasion, I'll wed you on a boat, beach, train or indeed mid-field immediately after the big match at a football stadium, but my preference is to marry in a Registry Office."

"But Tobi, I've dreamed about having a church wedding since I was a small girl, and the expectation of experiencing my church wedding has never diminished."

"Stop your bleating, Moxie. Just accept that it's not going to happen if it's me you wish to marry."

Turning red in the face, Moxie dry-sobbed, "This is your final chance to back off a bit and negotiate to reach an amical agreement."

"Grow up. Moxie. Jettison you rubbish girlie dream."

She stood and hissed furiously, "Go bury your head, you arrogant dickhead. I'm dumping you, and that's absolutely non-negotiable."

She stomped off highly distressed, jumped into her car and when speeding out to the road wiping away pesky tears, she accidentally clipped the tail-end of a new hybrid-powered car, inflicting minor damage that nevertheless Moxie thought could cost a couple thousand dollars to reinstate as new.

Moxie ran back to the vehicle she'd clipped and the owner was already inspecting the damage.

"Fuck, look what you've done," he said, not bothering with a greeting or looking beyond a glance at the tear-faced young woman.

"Sorry, I really am."

He looked at her more carefully and asked, "Are you okay?"

"No, I've just broken up with my boyfriend on the cusp of our engagement."

"Oh, that clearly explains your aggressive exit from that off-street parking area. Look, I'll take a phone photo of your number plate for security. Then meet me in the supermarket parking area down this street a bit. I don't want your ex-boyfriend seeing you in this embarrassing situation."

"Oh, you feel you can trust me to follow you to our new meeting site?"

"Yes, I trust you until proven it was foolish to do so."

"Omigod, you show signs of flexibility."

He smiled and said, "That's because you're cute, even distressed, miss."

Still rather dazed, Moxie briefly cherished hearing that description, 'cute'. She was almost tempted to hug her slightly scruffy but wonderfully pleasant victim. He'd recognised she was emotionally distressed,

They met as arranged in the supermarket carpark.

"Hi, I'm Hal Ray."

"What, the Hal Ray who hosts the Guitarist's Hour on 2JB-7 at 9.30 on Thursday nights?"

"That's the one," Hal said, surprised.

"I'm Moxie George, owner-operator of Moxie's Fashion Boutique.

"Oh, that Moxie. I've heard my recently married sister and her two married girlfriends rave about you and the brilliantly targeted merchandise in your boutique."

"Oh. Really? Is Maxine Ray your sister?"

"Yes, the cabaret singer. Dad and I often accompany her on guitars when she sings at non-commercial events."

"She's lovely, Hal."

"Yeah, and so am I, according to some tame critics."

Moxie laughed and said, "Look Hal, I'm awfully sorry I've fucked up your obvious new car.

She smiled and added, "My insurance company will get it back looking spanking new."

"Moxie, it's your decision but I suggest you just agree to pay what I'm charged to privately fix the light mess. It should be under $2000. Any insurance company will bill you far more than that and may even increase your insurance premium when it comes time to renew cover. I have reliable mates who work in the vehicle repair industry. However, this suggestion places you at a risk that you may not be prepared to take, and I'll accept that."

"You are a guitarist and so you have my trust and I'll go with your suggestion. The heavy bumper on my 4WD vehicle is not even dented. Here's my card."

"Fine, you should hear from me in three or four days. Are you okay to drive home or should I drive you in your vehicle and return here in a cab?"

"Thanks, but no, I'm fine now." she said, kissing him lightly on the cheek before saying bye.

"Oh wow," Hal breathed, watching her hips sway a little and she walked to her pick-up and thinking that the beauty newly released on to the dating circuit looked prime for marriage.

He muttered, "Call her within the next 48 hours about a date."

Hal called Moxie next evening and said it was Hal Ray with a firm price for the reinstatement of the backside of his car.

"Oh yes, my kind and understanding victim. Please shoot."

"The quote is $832.00 at mates rates. Rob will order the parts and do the work on Sunday in his own time at no charge because it's for me."

"Marvellous. Text me the quotation with your bank account number and I'll pay the amount into your bank account immediately."

"Thanks, and bye, Moxie," Hal said, having decided to delay suggesting that they date

"No wait, Hal. Please allow me to treat you to a nice restaurant meal tomorrow evening."

"Oh, fine and that's generous of you. I suggest The Goode Brothers?"

"Great, I love it there. Our family go there on special occasions. I'll book for 8.00 and meet you at the restaurant."

Moxie had just been seated at the table by a waitress when she looked up at a commotion at the entrance and saw arriving Hal Ray being greeted noisily with hugs by Neville Goode and his sister-in-law Maisie Goode, who was married to chief chef Fargo Goode.

Interesting, she thought, being friendly with the Goode family, with Maisie and her mother regular buyers at her boutique.

Maisie bought Hal to the table and announced, "Here's your VIP date, Moxie love."

As the maître d' walked off and Hal sat after wordlessly kissing Moxie gently on the lips, she said, "My VIP date?"

"Restaurant greeters have a habit of being expansive with words. I went through music school at university with the chef here Fargo Goode, he on double bass and viola and I on guitar for our degrees. Fargo dropped out in the third year after he got Maisie pregnant, and he switched to a culinary degree because Maisie worked in her parent's restaurant and the younger Goodes hoped to ultimately take over the restaurant.

Hal said, "The Goodes have called me several times in panic to play incidental music when their booked musicians failed to show."

"But that doesn't explain the Goodes' apparent affection for you."

"Well, I'm a sociable guy emitting some appeal and you have no idea how the management of a restaurant this size and ranking is on a Saturday night with patronage already in a festive mood when they realize that they are being dished up recorded music."

"Okay, I believe what you say, but disbelief lurks."

"Consider this: When I suggested leaving repairs to my vehicle to me and I would cut out the insurance company, why did you not reject the suggestion thinking my eyes were too close together or whatever? And why when I just kissed you without warning, you didn't object and instead kissed back rather sweetly. I'd expected you to pull away mildly pissed off with me for being so forward so soon."

"I... I ... Moxie stopped, and dropped her gaze. Sighing. she murmured, "I accepted it because I recognise you as a kind and sociable guy who is very convincing and I must admit is attractive."

"Maybe so, Moxie. But I'm still not Superman and am not invincible."

"Thank god for that, otherwise I'd be unable to keep up with you."

He eyed her and coolly asked what that her saying he was her new boyfriend?

"Yes, no, I need time to consider that."

"Why?"

"Because I don't wish to be rush into such a thing."

Hal said relentlessly, "Why not?"

"Because I... because I..."

"Then how about a two-week trial?"

"Omigod."

"Is that a, yes?"

"Yes," she sighed into a giggle.

He patted her arm.

Moxie looked at that spot on her arm and said, "I believe that you'd do well at convincing animals to walk in twos to board Ark 2."

"Omigod," he laughed. "A very datable female who possesses genuine humour."

The waitress took their starter drinks, food and wine orders, and Moxie turned serious and said, "I guess you don't sell car insurance so what do you work at?"

"I own the franchise and manage the Perfect Note Music Store in this city. A year after my acquisition, I successfully hit on my bank to finance my purchase of the vacant warehouse behind my store and with that spacious facility, I now have contracts with most schools in and near the city for my team to repair and refurbish school-owned musical instruments and to on-sell instruments that I am replacing for them."

"You must be a very busy person?"

"Not unduly, my principal roles are overall management and supervision and to launch new business ideas. The latest idea was launching a phone-in booking service with a deposit lodged by online banking for school choirs and orchestras seeking outside engagements and for small bands and other musicians attempting to make it professionally."

Putting down her empty cocktail glass, Moxie said. "And I guess you have ideas how I might fit into your scheme of things?"

"Oh, that was a simple equation after noticing your looks, splendid body and experienced a taste of your personality and being told you play the guitar. Further, you had just broken up with your boyfriend, I was without a regular girlfriend currently and..."

"And one and one make two. Bravo."

"Excellence understanding, Moxie."

"Thanks, Hal, And I assume you expect to dine well and then take me to bed to ensure I rate up to your expectations and from there it would be plain sailing?"

He grinned and said, "You're on to it."

Moxie eyed him unblinkingly.

"Well listen to me, buster. No one takes Moxie George to bed simply because her nipples have firmed. First, I need to know more about you and for you to learn more about me. I'll need to meet your family and for you to meet mine before we get really intimate. By the time we get through those conditions, in all probability we'll be hanging out for it and more than ready to start moving along like a well-oiled couple. So, what do you think of all that, Mr Smoothie?"

"It's not an unreasonable requirement, Moxie. Whatever it takes. is fine by me."

Chapter 2

Moxie rang the doorbell of the impressive Ray's home and Hal's elder sister, who was unaware who was the guest for the Sunday night family dinner, screamed, "Omigod, Moxie!"

They hugged and Moxie explained the reason for her arrival.

Maxine said excitedly, "This is a surprise. My brother rarely manages to date anyone as classy as you, Moxie."

"Spare me the bullshit, Maxine. I have to say I'm nervous about what your mother will think of me."

"God girl, where's your confidence? Mum is likely to orgasm on the spot when she finds her spoilt son has finally managed to date a babe who exceeds her expectations."

Hal emerged and kissed Moxie fully on the lips for the first time and she virtually floated beside him into the lounge.

Before Hal had time to introduce Moxie to anyone, his blonde mother fashionably dressed in black, low at the neck with the hemline at midcalf, rushed from the couch and seized the attractive dinner guest by both hands and said, "I'm Marcia, Hal's mum."

"I'm so delighted that you are Hal's date tonight. I'd asked Hal what his new find looked like and typically, in the economic language of males, he said carefully, "She's swell and rather charming."

"Call me Moxie, Marcia. That lack of detail you just mentioned is common male-speak of the younger male generation, everything relating to females is uttered cautiously and even defensively until they become closely attached to females who'll expand their guy's vocabulary and refine their ability to deliver narrative spiked with emotion and in expansive detail."

Marcia said. "Brilliantly vocalized, Moxie. That's my mother Irene who's clapping in delight at hearing your lucid explanation. She lives with us. Beside Irene is her life-long friend Isobel who lives in a retirement village and with them is Petra, our youngest child. Ogling you is my husband of 35 years, Stephen."

"Hi, Moxie," Stephen said, coming across and kissing her on the cheek. "Welcome to our home. I suspected you must be really something because Hal really clammed when I attempted to prise more out of him about this new friend. All he said was to be prepared to be truly impressed."

"Omigod," Moxie said, laughing. "Now prepare for the letdown of possible gigantic proportions."

There was brief silence before Marcia said confidentially, "There's no chance of that happening. I'm already aware accidentally, by taking your hands in mine, that you have quite strong hands for a woman and suspected that you could be a guitarist and/or active sportswoman."

"Yes, I became competent with the guitar in my teens and have a degree in music. I swim regularly for fitness, play tennis in the summer and touch-rugby during winter."

Stephen said cheerfully, "Ah, perhaps we can have a jam session after dinner with Marcia on piano, me on drums, Petra on flute, Maxine on electronic keyboard and Hal on bass guitar and you Moxie with the instrument of your choice."

Marcia asked, "What will it be for you, Moxie?"

"Is a violin available? I also sing a bit."

"Mum pull out your violin and tune it as it hasn't been used in months."

As Irene walked off, Moxie said, "Great and thanks for allowing me to play your violin, Irene. Don't go to too much trouble with tuning as my personal competence rating is guitar, piano, flute, clarinet and lastly violin, that is roughly the order in which I gained my introduction to those instruments except I first began singing a little after I began to talk."

"Oh, good gracious dear, what a musician you are."

"But except for guitar, I'm below professional level on all accounts, Irene."

After dinner, when retired violinist Irene, with arthritic fingers, was handed rattles to shake musically, and she went off to the bathroom before joining the ensemble, Stephen said, "Moxie, what's your choice to start us off?"

'Yellow Submarine' will get us loosened up and as a special request I ask that for our final number we play 'Good Night Irene' as I used to sing it to my grandmother Irene from when I was about six until her death three years ago. I sang it at her funeral."

"Great choices," Stephen said. "I have one amendment and that is please play and sing it solo on my acoustic guitar. It's possible that Irene will love you for you making her feel special."

The band sounded good and players had a great time and when Stephen noticed that Irene's head was beginning to droop, he went off and returned with his guitar.

"Okay, final number. This is the request of our musical guest. Take it away, lovely Moxie."

The other musicians moved away, leaving Moxie standing alone with Stephen's guitar and facing Irene.

As she gently strummed the tune that she was about to sing to get a feeling for the guitar, Moxie said to Irene, "For most of my life since turning six, I sang 'Good Night Irene' to my maternal grandmother Irene who taught me the words and had a friend, a retired school music teacher and singer, refine my techniques. You heard my sing-along contributions this evening, but now you'll hear me hopefully as near as I can get to my unrehearsed and near-enough perfect pitch and light-fingered guitar strumming."

"Oh darling, how beautiful of you to share this especially with me."

Moxie smiled at Irene and began the final number.

It was a beautiful rendition, with Marcia holding her sobbing mother while dabbing at her own eyes. At the conclusion, everyone applauded, with females sniffing.

"Amateur singer my behind," Irene sobbed.

"I've heard that song 1000 times in nigh on seventy years and what I've just heard would rank near to the top of that one thousand." Irene said, holding her arms out to Moxie to hug her.

Later, when Hal and Moxie were in a tight clinch enjoying their final kiss of the evening, Hal said: "Oh boy, does my family love you and hope that I can hold on to you."

"You're doing a fine job of capturing my interest," Moxie said, plunging Hal into another long, sloppy kiss.

Laughing, he wiped his lips, and said, "Would you be willing to join me playing at the Goode Brothers' restaurant?"

"If free, in emergencies only."

"Fair enough. I accept that condition."

"Thanks, bye darling."

"So officially it's darling now?"

"You established that with your dynamic kissing. Feel free to arrange a... err.... an ntimate for us next Saturday evening to midday Monday."

"Sounds great. Will it include sex?"

"What do you think?" Moxie asked.

"Next Saturday is the end of our agreed two-week trial at dating. When we wake from an exhausting night of love-play, we'll be well-placed to judge if the trial has ended successfully. Oh, you'll need to have dinner with my family during the week"

"Agreed, Wednesday or Thursday would suit me. I'm excited about your brazen suggestion of a dirty weekend."

"Great, make the bookings pal and surprise me," Moxie said, giving his butt a powerful squeeze before breaking free and climbing into her car and driving off with a huge wave through the opened driver's window.

The final view she had of her new boyfriend Hal was via the rear mirror. He was standing still looking in her direction and rubbing his chin thoughtfully. Was that good or bad?"

She had no idea and switched to thinking what clothes to pack for their upcoming mystery weekend.

"Do whatever it takes to nail him, Moxie," she cried exuberantly.

An hour later, when almost asleep, Moxie took a phone call.

"You should see what I've got in my hand," Hal said huskily. "Are you up to 15 minutes of phone sex?"

Moxie said seductively, "My fingers are poised, ready to strum. I have a good feeling about this evolving relationship, Hal."

"Yeah, we are both committing positively to it. I'll now assist you to get yourself off by talking positively and very erotically to you, my hot Roxy."

"Ooh! Be imaginative and don't hold back, darling," she cooed, thinking it had been brilliant and fortuitous of her to dump Tobi Lovelock, who had revealed himself to be a dull, selfish and thick loser.

"Hold your phone down close to your groin to magnify the squishy sound emitting from your busy fingers," said her man.

Pushing down her phone, Moxie immediately felt an internal wet rush pass over her fingers and dribbled from the mouth in ecstasy.

"Way to go, Moxie," she gurgled.

The End