When God Closes a Door

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Jacob moved on, but his eyes continued to wander back to Kimberly and me. Carol then slid up next to me.

"Michael, you're looking really good," she said as she took my hand. "And your wife is gorgeous. I didn't know you had gotten married."

"We'll be married seven years in March," Kimberly said with a smile as she hugged my arm.

"Both you and Jacob are looking well," I replied and then asked. "How is your daughter doing?"

Carol cringed at first but then smiled. "She's doing great. Tammy is in the second grade, and her brother, Jacob, Jr., is in kindergarten. Do you guys have any children?"

"Two," Kimberly answered. "Micky, Jr, is in kindergarten, and Charlotte is still at home with me. They're both doing well. Thank you for asking."

Carol moved on after that, and shortly after that, Kimberly and I drifted away to find our table. The meal was excellent, and the speeches were, thankfully, short. The CEO of Sable simply assured everyone that nobody's job was in jeopardy for at least the next year and that he looked forward to the merger.

When the dinner was done, the music started in earnest, and Kimberly and I took several spins around the floor. I think the young kids of today have really missed the mark when it comes to dancing. Slow dancing with someone you love is such an intimate thing. It can connect two people almost as much as having sex.

Sometime during the evening, I felt a tap on my shoulder. When I turned, I found Carol standing there. Kimberly turned to see what I was looking at, and her eyes narrowed when she realized it was my ex-wife.

Carol smiled sweetly at Kimberly. "Could I borrow your husband for a dance?"

Kimberly looked at me and then smiled at Carol. "Just as long as you remember where to bring him back to."

I guided Carol out onto the dance floor, and we danced in silence for about a minute.

"Michael, I just want to apologize to you for what Jacob and I did to you back then," she said with true remorse in her voice. "You didn't deserve any of it. But when I discovered that I was pregnant with Jacob's child, I knew we were through. I decided to make our break quick and simple. I never even considered how much it would hurt you. I shouldn't have allowed Jacob to talk me into the scorched Earth policy we used. That was totally uncalled for."

I chuckled a little. "As people say, it's either water under the bridge or water over the dam. It doesn't matter now. We've all moved on. Besides, I sort of did deserve some of it. I did beat the crap out of Jacob. Apparently, I didn't damage his testicles too badly because you've had a second kid."

Carol giggled at that. We danced for a bit in silence, and I decided to bury the hatchet between us once and for all.

"Look, Carol," I began hesitantly. "I admit, I was very bitter when you left me for Jacob. It did take many months to accept losing you, but now we're both happily married with kids. I've come to believe that this was what was meant to happen."

Carol chocked out a harsh laugh, and when I looked at her face, a tear was running down her cheek.

"Did I say something wrong?"

Carol just shook her head. "No, Michael, you didn't say anything wrong. It's just that it isn't what you think. On the surface, everyone thinks we're the perfect couple. And for the first year, I would have agreed with them. But Jacob is just a charming manipulator. He uses people and then discards them. I know that he's cheated on me many times. But he isn't as smart as he thinks he is. Every time I find out he's cheated on me; I cheat on him."

My mouth dropped open, and Carol noticed. She chuckled.

"It's a hell of a way to live, I know," she said sadly. "I should have left Jacob when I found out what he was really like, but I was too ashamed and too proud. Michael, I am pleased that you found happiness, but I will always regret that I tossed you away. You and my children are the best things that ever happened to me."

We continued to talk until the song ended. Then Carol accompanied me back to my table and thanked Kimberly for letting her borrow me.

As Kimberly and I were dancing our last dance of the night, it struck me that her advice all those years ago had been spot on. If I had refused to move on from Carol, it might very well have consumed me. I guess it's true what they say, when God closes a door, he opens another one. When I lost Carol I was totally devastated, but then God let me find Kimberly. And I can't even imagine a life without her.

"So, what did you and Carol talk about," Kimberly finally asked. "Is she trying to get you back?"

I laughed and kissed her. "Like she has any chance of doing that."

"Good," Kimberly said as she put her head on my shoulder. "Just remember that I'm a jealous one-man sort of woman. I'll cut your 'you know what' off if you ever try to leave me. I only bring it up because I heard that their marriage isn't all sunshine and rainbows."

"Carol told me the same," I agreed, "but I think they'll stay together for the children. After the kids are grown, I wouldn't put any bets on that marriage surviving. What a sad way to live your life. Anyway, Carol did tell me something that I found amusing. I know that she was not at all amused by it, and I'm pretty sure that Jacob isn't going to find it amusing when they get home tonight."

"What's that?"

"Carol was standing behind her husband, and he didn't realize she was there. Jacob was staring at you when he said, "That fucking Michael won again."