All Comments on 'When help is needed'

by Cromagnonman

Sort by:
  • 9 Comments
FreakyReReFreakyReReabout 16 years ago
Disappointed.

I have to say I am very disappointed and a little angry at how this story was written. I have a personal experience with rape and sexual assault and I do not think you handled this trauma accurately. In the beginning of the story, your character is planning to kill herself and a couple hours later she's having unprotected sex with a man she doesn't even know. Many victims of sexual assault are extremely nervous and agitated by men, especially strange men that appear out of nowhere and issue a coffee invitation. Oh and I have to say the off hand comment about an abortion was very insensitive and pathetic. It's a very touchy subject so I won't delve deeper into it. I know this this is a fiction story and you probably didn't mean for anyone to really take anything from it, and some would say I'm being mean or rude or whatever, but I just needed to say this. I mean no harm, and I wish you no ill. In fact, you do write well and I have read a few of your stories before. Thanks.

CromagnonmanCromagnonmanabout 16 years agoAuthor
Rebuttal

I have experience with victims of rape and in no way did I intend to belittle the impact of this trauma. What I was endeavouring to highlight was that it was Deb's inability to talk to her family because of her father's attitude, in particular to rape. This was the reason that she was contemplating suicide, not the rape itself. That she could have dealt with if she had been able to find help when it was needed.

It was the release from the feeling of guilt and humiliation as a result of her father's attitude, and the restoration of her faith in God and man, that was the main thrust of this story.

I also intended that there be a comparison between the sexual experience of being raped and a caring and loving relationship.

srgeeksrgeekalmost 15 years ago
Dale, a good guy behaving badly!

Given Dale's position and Deb's vulnerability, he took advantage of her emotional state by having sexual relations of any kind with her at that time. A few weeks later it may have been different (she might have been sufficiently stable emotionally for such a decision). An emotionally broken person is in no condition to make life altering decisions and/or actions, especially those with a high potential for negative outcomes. Anyone who encourages or acquiesces such decisions or actions is NOT a friend.

<P>

Sexual activity with another always has a high potential to be life altering.

<P>

What did she mean when she said her father lost his plot?

<P>

<I>-- srgeek --</I>

tazz317tazz317about 12 years ago
FAITH MOVES MOUNTAIN OF WOES

and a thorough investigation helps. TK U MLJ LV NV

tazz317tazz317over 10 years ago
I GUESS JUMPING WAS NOT THE CORRECT DECISCION

standing up, being counted and a little trust in your fellow mankind TK U MLJ LV NV

Sam37Sam37about 10 years ago
A strange tale

As with many of your stories, the timeline requires a bit of suspension of disbelief.

Anon on 12/7/13: of course there are more hypocrites in church. Where else would you have them be? They won't find redemption elsewhere. Besides, in order to be a hypocrite you must HAVE a belief system with which your actions contradict. In the absence of the belief system, one cannot be a hypocrite.

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
NOT A VERY NICE STORY

found it hard to get my head around this one...something just did not gell...

HighlandLaddieHighlandLaddieover 7 years ago
A STRANGE STORY

from her going to jump off the cliff and then jump in to his bed and all in less than 24 hours.....no way.....too far fetched....but glad they got the bastard for rape and the father for perverting justice....hope they buy plenty of Vaseline as they will need it...should castrate all rapists and cut their cocks off....

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 month ago

A very difficult story to rate.

Technically it deserves a five.

As a tool of learning about the devastation rape so important it deserves a five.

In making the reader feel uncomfortable, successful.

Read it and decide for yourself.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userCromagnonman@Cromagnonman
I'm a pretty normal average male, chronologically well over 18 but psychologically I'm not so sure. I have been writing as a hobby for many years and now that I have time on my hands I am looking to become more professional at it. I enjoy reading, morning walks along the river...

SIMILAR Stories