When the Bastard is a Nice Guy

Story Info
The sad tale of Ben, John and Melinda.
11.1k words
34.1k
45
0
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
pietro108
pietro108
512 Followers

Just so you know dear readers, this is a work of fiction.

I wrote it for fun and I hope you read it for fun!

It has an Australian context, so I apologise to those who don't understand, 'Stralian'!

Many have commented on my propensity to not end my stories to their satisfaction, but that is how I usually write, leaving the reader to imagine. I hope in this story, I have given those readers enough closure to satisfy them!

Enjoy!

When The Bastard Is A Nice Guy

Before the marriage:

She was into sales when he first met her. He had come home from college and was spending the summer holidays with his folks. It was his first year at uni and he didn't do the usual student escape to the beach. He loved his parents and decided to spend the holidays with them. Besides, he kind of owed them. They were after all, paying his tuition fees.

The doorbell rang and he raced downstairs to open it. There, in glorious splendour was an angel. - Carrying a cane basket. -With an Avon badge. "Hi. I'm Melinda, your local Avon representative. Is the lady of the house at home?" Ben was speechless. "Umm, sure. I'll get my mum. Mum, it's Melinda, the Avon representative," he yelled up the stairs.

"Right Ben. Be down in a minute. Ask her in."

"OK. Umm, come in Melinda. I'll take you to the lounge." Ben showed her the way and they both sat down. He couldn't take his eyes off her. She was impeccably dressed and made up as if she was ready for a night on the town, not in a slutty way, but in a professional way, as if she was off to an opera performance. Her long brown hair was carefully tied back. The shadow she used on her eyes accentuated the greenness of them. It was these eyes which stared back at him with a hint of amusement.

"So, do you often take to staring speechlessly at women, umm Ben, was it?" Melinda asked with a hint of a smile.

"Umm. No. Oh sorry. I didn't mean to be rude. Yes, it is Ben. It's just that you surprised me. I wasn't expecting someone like you at the door. Oh God. That didn't sound right, did it? When I say that, I mean, you really are very beautiful and it took me by surprise. Sorry."

By this time Melinda was having trouble holding back her chuckles. "It's OK Ben. I am usually greeted by the women of the houses I visit. Most of them know me, but this is a new neighbourhood for me. I am expanding my area. I dress like this so that I can sell my products more easily. I am, after all, selling beauty products." She then paused and seemed to stare at Ben in the same way he was staring at her so embarrassingly before. This time she seemed a little uncomfortable. "So how come you are here? Do you go to LittleMount High?"

"No. I used to, but now I am studying accounting and business at Perth Uni. First year. I am just home for the summer vacation.

At that point, Mary, Ben's mum, came in. She briefly studied the two youngsters and greeted Melinda. "Hi, I'm Mary Jefferson, Ben's mum. And you're?"

"Hi Mary. I'm Melinda and I'll be your Avon representative," stated Melinda as she stood to shake Mary's hand. "It's lovely to meet you. I hope I can interest you in some of our new products, but if not, I will leave a brochure behind and see you again next week." They both sat down beside each other on the larger lounge seat and left Ben sitting rather awkwardly on his own. This was women's business and he was way out of his league.

The two women were discussing in depth the pros and cons of some sort of lipstick which Melinda magically produced from her cane basket. There followed a similar process with a whole range of beauty products which, again, Melinda produced from her basket. It seemed that she had samples of the whole catalogue in that basket.

"She must have everything in there," Ben mused. "It must take some effort lugging that basket around the streets and still look so perfect."

Mary interjected his thoughts. "Ben, could you get us some cool water. Melinda, I'll take each of these," she said as she isolated some of the products.

"Mary what usually happens is that you order them with me now and I will get them from my supplier. I will then deliver them next week, along with the new catalogue. I aim to visit each week, especially during the school break."

Ben couldn't help thinking, "She's going to be here again next week? Cool!"

The ladies said their goodbyes and Ben led Melinda to the door.

"Maybe see you again next week Ben," Melinda said with a hint of promise. "I'll try not to surprise you so much then."

"Umm, sure Melinda. Sorry about my rudeness. It's a d... See you then." He closed the door before he could embarrass himself further as she walked back down the path. Ben stared at her through the glass door insert as she rounded the gate to the next house. Her ass looked divine. Actually, all of her looked divine. She was dressed and made up to look like a professional businesswoman with all the confidence in the world. It was the cane basket which was the anomaly. Yet she must be almost the same age as himself. He was nineteen, so she must be eighteen, if she was not yet at Uni. Melinda seemed to pause suddenly and glance back to Ben's house. "Did she just do that?" Ben thought.

"She seems like a lovely girl," Mary called out. "I think she will do very well in this neighbourhood. It is great that she carries all of the items in the sales catalogue. Sometimes it's hard buying something just from the small picture in a brochure. I tell you, she has the poise and confidence of a real saleswoman and the looks to go with it." Mary glanced knowingly at Ben, "Don't you think?" she laughed. "You couldn't keep your eyes off her the whole time she was here. I think I even saw your tongue hang out and a bit of drool escaping your lips!" This time she was in full on gasping chuckles.

"Yes, umm. Oh, come on mum. I wasn't that bad, was I?"

"Just joking son. She is very pretty though. I am sure you will meet her again next week. She said she walks this neighbourhood every Tuesday, in case you're interested." Again, the chuckles as she disappeared upstairs, leaving Ben to his thoughts. Thoughts of an angel named Melinda.

The week dragged on. Ben had promised to take care of all of the yard work while he was at home. His parents also had a wish list with myriads of maintenance-type projects for him to complete if possible. He attacked these with vigour. Although he was a 'booky' type of kid when he was younger, he was always by his dad's side when he was fixing this, or mending that. This gave him a set of hands-on skills which came in very useful at times. At uni, he was actually known as, 'Mr Fixit'. Many of his friends would come to him if their bikes needed fixing, or their bed needed adjusting. His own bed didn't need adjusting, however. His friends approached the whole freedom of uni life with gusto, dating every person at will and sleeping with anyone willing. Ben focussed on his studies. His parents worked hard to pay for his tuition and he felt honour bound to not waste their money and trust. Not that he was a saint. He dated some women and even had sex with a couple, but it wasn't why he was there. He managed to keep the new-found freedom in perspective.

He was up a ladder, hot and sweaty, cleaning the front gutters, when the angel appeared again.

"Hi Ben," she said from behind him.

It was all he could do to not fall off the ladder as he turned to face her. "Oh, hi Melinda," he replied. "Mum's inside. I'll go get her." He managed to climb down the ladder with some dignity and face Melinda.

"I surprised you again, didn't I?" she asked amusingly. "I promised that I wouldn't do that this time. Sorry."

"Yes, you did. But it was a pleasant surprise." Ben couldn't believe that he just said that. She seemed to like what he said however and Ben felt emboldened. After his mum and Melinda had completed their business, Ben met Melinda as she was leaving. "Umm, Melinda, I hear that the 'Extras' café sells the best cream donuts in town. Could I take you there one day?" Ben could feel the blood draining from his face as he asked the question.

Melinda looked at his eyes for just the shortest second, smiled the most beautiful smile that Ben had ever seen, and answered, "Why sure, kind sir. Here is my phone number. Call me next week. This week I am fairly busy with my street rounds." She gave Ben a card, all printed very professionally, with her details. Melinda Hines, Avon Representative, 0403178211.

Ben took the card as if it was a precious treasure. He was still looking at it when Melinda exited the yard. A brief glance back and that smile again and she was gone.

"Pretty smooth move Romeo," stated Mary.

"Mum! Were you listening to that?

"Yep. Good move though. She is a wonderful young lady. I see a very determined, hard-working girl. She is going places. I can tell. I would advise you not to let that one go." With a loud chuckle, Ben's mum disappeared into the house, leaving Ben dumbfounded, yet excited, clutching the card.

The first date went very well. Ben and Melinda hit it off from the very start. The first date progressed to a second, then a third and soon they were inseparable. Melinda always made it clear though, that she was devoting time to her selling. Many times, Ben was put to the side while Melinda pursued her business aspirations. It became a normal aspect of their relationship. Ben was not phased by this trait in Melinda. He actually admired her determination and perseverance to succeed at what she set her heart on.

The summer holidays ended and Ben returned to uni. Melinda entered uni also, studying business management and economics. She chose these as necessary pre-requisites to a career in high end business. She wanted to go places. Her relationship with Ben only deepened over that year and they both realised that their relationship was going to result in marriage. Melinda's mum had died during that last year at uni, which made it a very difficult time for her. Her strength and determination, again, carried her through, along with Ben's emotional support and love. Ben had started at a local LittleMount accounting firm, learning the business. Ben proposed to Melinda just before she graduated. Of course, the answer was, 'Yes', delighting all of Ben's family.

The Honeymoon phase:

The wedding was a joyous affair. Everyone there witnessed the love and devotion that these two had for each other. "She's a keeper Ben," Mary whispered to Ben as he watched his bride mingle around the hall. "Do right by her, or I'll have your balls!"

"Mum! There's no need to talk like that. I love her like nothing else. Of course, I'll do right by her. You and Dad brought me up to always do the right thing. What do you expect?"

"I'm proud of you Ben, as is your Dad. If he was still with us, he would tell you so to your face. You did well to choose her. Now go join your bride." There were tears of joy in Mary's eyes as she turned and found some distant relatives to catch up with. Ben reminded her so much of her long dead husband.

The next two years were hectic for the young married couple. Ben put in the hours required to finally start to get good at his job. Very good in fact. Even after such a short time, some of his colleagues hinted that he could start up on his own and do very well if he so chose. Melinda also was progressing up the ranks of management in her career. These advances had a cost. They were constantly tired. However, the strength of their love and their basic common sense allowed them to weather this storm. Often on a Saturday night, they would be sitting, cuddling on the lounge, when they would just burst out laughing at the week that had just passed. This was their way of dealing with the stresses of each of their prospective careers. Of course, regular sessions of tender love making also released the stress valves and re-affirmed their devotion to each other.

It was during one of these de-stress cuddle sessions, or 'high-powered executive centring activities' as Melinda jokingly called them, that they both started to say, simultaneously, "Babe, we need to talk."

The talk:

They fell into stunned silence at their obvious synchronicity.

Melinda broke the silence first. "Ben, I have been offered a promotion."

"Wow Love. That was quick. What is it to? I also have something to discuss with you, but you carry on first."

"It is a senior management position. My boss called me in to his office today and couldn't sing my praises loudly enough. He said that in all of his years, he has never seen such a determined, skilled employee. He continued to say that the company was expanding to the East Coast and that it needed someone like me to drive it there." She paused. Her green eyes only seemed to sparkle a deeper shade of green at her excitement.

Ben's eyes were teary with pride for his beautiful, talented wife.

"My boss also said that if you and I wanted to have children, to do it now because this position would only demand more and more of my time." Again, she paused to let the enormity of that statement settle in. "There is a two year lead into this position, so..."

"Melinda, Melinda, that is wonderful news. I have wanted us to start a family for some time and I know you have too. I know of the perfect time to start!" The smile in Ben's eyes hinted at a night of unbridled love-making, this time with no condoms. Melinda melted into his arms. She knew that look and loved it.

Even with all of the joy and excitement that the news brought, there was a hint of sadness in Melinda's eyes. Ben picked up on it straight away. "What's up Babe? Is there something else?"

Melinda looked Ben square in the eyes and said in a low voice, "There is a cost Ben. It will mean I have to split my time between here in LittleMount and Sydney. It is a two week rotation. I will be away a lot and with children, that is going to be hard on both of us, but particularly you." The last statement was said with a deep sigh of resignation, almost as if this fantastic career opportunity would not happen.

"Melinda, my love. This can happen. My news is that I have looked into starting up my own accounting firm which would operate here from our home. My boss gave his blessing to my aspirations, saying that although he would be sad to see me go, he could see that I could make a great start and that if I specialised more, he could throw consultation work to me. Don't you see, with Mum's help, the children will be fine. I want you to fly my wonderful, determined, talented dove."

Melinda dissolved into tears. Gasping tears of joy. Her loving husband wanted what was best for her and was willing to sacrifice a heap to make it happen. That night was a joyful, intense expression of their love and devotion to each other as well as an excited hope that their family had begun to expand.

The bad news:

It didn't.

The doctors were dumbfounded as to why a young couple such as themselves were unable to conceive. God help them, they tried so much that the physical act of having sex became a chore. Very few were the times that they actually made love. Sex was an act determined by body temperature, menstrual cycle timings and moon phases! Fertility drugs were administered and eventually abandoned.

Finally, the myriad of medical specialists came to an agreement. Melinda and Ben would not be able to conceive a baby.

This devastated both of them. They were worn out to their core. Melinda often dissolved into tears and many the night, Ben just held her as she processed the fact that she would never be a mum. Ben did not know what to do. He comforted her when she was sad and held her tight when she gasped those sad sighs of resignation. He was also feeling the pain of never being a dad.

This lasted for two months when suddenly, Melinda woke one morning and a new determined look crossed her face. She bore a straight, confident look and showed the same steely deep green eyes she once held when she was determined to succeed at one of her goals.

"Ben, I am going ahead with the senior exec job. I will tell my boss that as of next week, I will begin." She finished her statement and looked strangely at Ben. He could see the instant change in her and while it frightened him a little, because of her total lack of consultation with him, he admired the fact that she had overcome her sadness and emerged into that determined, confident person that he knew so well. He sensed that it would be a new beginning for their relationship, but, hey, that's what he signed up for when he made those all-important vows way back when.

"I love you Melinda. Welcome back. You know I will support you with whatever it takes." She cried tears of joy as she held Ben tightly. This hug lasted forever until with a sharp intake of breath and a squaring of her shoulders, she left for work.

Then followed a period of intense training for Melinda and lots of comforting hugs from Ben. He had made the leap into establishing his own business from home and was pleasantly surprised at the positive feedback he received. Within the short time that it took Melinda to fully embrace her new role, he was well and truly onto a firm path with his own accounting business. The extra hours that Melinda was forced to spend training and familiarising was used by Ben to expand his own business. Whilst their time together was diminishing, they both felt secure in their relationship. Both being very pragmatic people allowed them the common sense to appreciate the time they had together without feeling neglected or bitter. The elephant in the room was always the lack of parenthood, however. After so much heartache, it almost became a written rule to not bring up that subject. The future was their goal. Ben in his business and Melinda in her role as a high-end executive.

A new phase:

Then the night of the big announcement came. They were both settled into a rare at-home dinner, when Melinda quietly stated, "Ben, love, it is time for me to spend time in Sydney. The boss says I am ready to take on the big guns in that town on behalf of the company."

Now, Perth is not a small town. It is a city known as the western outpost of Australia. It is the hub of the immense iron ore industry among others, which are situated in Western Australia. But Sydney is where all of the real action is. Sydney is the centre of all of the huge export industries. Wine, Coal, iron ore, sugar, wool, along with numerous other primary industries, all have their head offices there. If a company wanted to make it for real, they would need to have a strong presence in Sydney. Ben knew that as did Melinda. They both knew that the ask of Melinda would be extremely challenging. Melinda, with her natural confidence and determination to succeed, approached the task with excitement. Ben, with his unremitting love for Melinda, approached her challenge with pride.

They finished their meal and prepared for the next phase of their relationship. Melinda would spend two weeks in Sydney and two weeks in Perth. In between would be the five and a half hour flight infamously known as the 'red-eye'. Ben was resigned to not hearing from Melinda each and every night. The two hour time difference, coupled with her penchant for long work meetings made this improbable and accepted by both of them.

Months of this schedule became the norm and they both settled into it quietly. Ben would see Melinda off at the front door as she entered the taxi to the airport. They both would be dreary-eyed, worn out by the night of intense love-making prior to Melinda's departure. The sex shared on that one night had to last over the next two weeks and they both approached the task with vigour and passion. Phone calls between them would be fairly brief and at irregular hours as determined by Melinda's schedule in Sydney. These calls were enough to maintain a comfortable intimacy while Melinda was away. On her return, the taxi would arrive and Melinda would disappear into bed for at least twelve hours after hugging and kissing her husband. The 'red-eye' flight always had this effect on her and it wouldn't be until her second night home, that they would again fuck like bunnies, followed by a long period of love-making, re-establishing their closeness and love for each other. Melinda would then emerge into her role at the Perth office of the company. Ben's business now had a very firm client base and he was becoming well-known amongst the Perth accounting firms as a reliable and knowledgeable entity in the field of forensic accounting.

pietro108
pietro108
512 Followers