All Comments on 'When Thunder Rolls Ch. 02'

by YouDidWhut

Sort by:
  • 40 Comments
swedishreader1swedishreader1about 6 years ago
Nice.

Well written as always and loved the fact that it was not all saccharine sweet but gritty and real.

5*

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago
Just ok

For my part I judge your stories to Bandit. Best story I've ever read on this site! This is just ok. Not great. But that's just me. Your incest series was/is great. The civil war stuff. Just ok. 3 stars.

DragonRider55

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago
5 Stars

I am compelled to leave a message after reading your comments and those left by Anonymous - 'Just Ok'.

All stories, novels, books are subjective and whether they are liked or not is down to the individual reader, I'm not saying 'Just Ok' is wrong - but he or she are so wrong!! :)

When Thunder Rolls is, like the rest of your submissions, an excellent story and I really hope that you continue it. You get 5 * from me and if I could give more I would. There is humour, empathy, sympathy and a damn good story to boot. Who could wish for more. Thanks. gj

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago
Well started and a good second chapter

You obviously know a lot about the Civil War. Most people don't know that the South was paying 80% of the revenue for the Federal Government via tariffs on goods imported from England and France. Shooting at Fort Sumter (a Customs House for the Government) wasn't accidental.

Well written, please continue.

AxelottoAxelottoabout 6 years ago
Not usually a historical romance fan, but

I like the realism you mix into the romance elements. And while you are telling something about history you aren't beating the reader about with it, it comes out in the story, not in infodumps. Wish some other historical rom writers (here and in publishing) would learn that lesson.

5 stars as far as I'm concerned.

Lit_ZombieLit_Zombieabout 6 years ago
I try not to comment much, but...

This story is so enthralling that i just have to say something.

I honestly felt like I was there. For so many reasons. I live in Manassas Virginia, though technically it's classified as Bull Run. And I have walked the battle sites. Hell, I drive past the 'Stone House' everyday on my way to work. That's the site of the battle of Manassas.

I'm from NM but my family got here at about the same time as Jamestown. We went west. And I'm sorry you chose Texas or the 'drain pipe of the south west' as your destination. But, anyway, I needed to say that I had family on both sides. And the way you are telling this story really resonates with me. I can admit that I have ancestors that owned slaves. My mother has a scanned copy of a letter showing that (his literal name) 'The old nigger' did such and such. I'm not proud of it. but I'm glad I know for sure.

I firmly believe that the south went to war for states rights. I do admit that if I was there and knew what I know now, that I would have been on the Union side. I was in the Marine Corps (another reason why your story caught me up, very good job on the way that the military speaks!) and its God, Country, and Corps. I don't believe in God. I do however, believe in my country, regardless of whomever is in charge. It's the people that are supposed to have the say anyway.

This was supposed to be a small comment but, I decided that it was worth the long read. Keep writing, PLEASE.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago
More Please

Awesome story. Can't wait for the next installment.

Crusader235Crusader235about 6 years ago
Excellent

Just an excellent read, and history lesson too. 5 Stars, and please continue.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago
A great story

Historical fiction seems very popular right now, perhaps because they're strongly grounded in reality. In addition to continuing developments and well written turn of phrase, this story has a strong feel of authenticity to it and the author's knowledge of the period shows.

Also an interesting note about buffalo soldiers. I'd heard the term plenty of times but never knew from where it originated.

Enjoyable stuff. Please keep it up.

dwoelfledwoelfleabout 6 years ago
This is a wonderful read

Your blending of history and romance is a lot of fun. Please keep going to the end.

AnnaValley11AnnaValley11about 6 years ago
It was worth the wait and I will patiently wait for Chapter 3

You do yourself a disservice.

Bandit was, undoubtedly, a superb story and I enjoyed it immensely. However it was a complete tale in itself.

This story is its equal and, when it is fully written, will be recognised as a classic. This chapter built on the first beautifully - like the first it allowed us to learn most about Thad. This also had a mix of good and evil with good prevailing. It is a slow burn but that is a strength not a weakness.

I am happy to wait patiently for the next episode in the romance which is unfolding. I am looking forward to learning more about Beth and the other characters which you have developed so well. Please don't feel presurred to rush - you are a master storyteller and it shows.

I awarded this chapter 5 stars; I just wish I could have awarded 10

Thank you most sincerely for making my evening

Stephen

TwoGunKidtgkTwoGunKidtgkabout 6 years ago
Forget the views

I love this story! More please.

wapentakewapentakeabout 6 years ago
A joy to read

As an Englishman, I know little about the American Civil War and cannot comment on the historical accuracy or otherwise of this work; I do however, know a good story when I read one and this tale is well worth the five stars that I and others have given it.

I look forward to reading more of the adventures of Thad and Beth.

rightbankrightbankabout 6 years ago
A wonderful love story

Shannon and Thunder are the stars. Geography and the era add drama and intrigue. That the characters are genuine and colorful make it fun to read.

Thanks for continuing this romantic saga I look forward to reading more.

.

WordcraftWordcraftabout 6 years ago
Another Historically Accurate Chapter!! BRAVO!

YDW, There are only a handful of authors I check for new stories or chapters. You are one of them. Thank You!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago
Really Enjoyed It

I was very happy to see -02 appear. It continues an excellent story that is both informative and entertaining. Thank you.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago
I almost didn't read this.

The description indicated Thunder Rolls was just a war story. It is really an honorable Confederate officer searching for a new life after the war story.

This is a riveting story and very well written.

Thank you YouDidWhat. I will be watching for more of your writings.

gary

tazz317tazz317about 6 years ago
NOW THE CHARACTER EMERGES

but life is still hard while living in the aftermath and rebuilding, TK U MLJ LV NV

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago

Looking forward to the next chapters

AWAKADSAWAKADSabout 6 years ago
Repost Direction Decisions

Sorry, a little finger trouble misdirected below comment to chapter 1.

There is one problem here, albeit taking into account that this was a fresh start for all after a devastating civil war with all the sorrow, personal loss and recrimination festering between brothers for many years after, that the relationship between Thaddeus and Elizabeth was founded on lust and need, not love.

This is confirmed by the fact that although Elizabeth pleaded with Thaddeus not to go after the cowards in retribution to the direct threat directed at Elizabeth and her defenseless child, she relented eventually, knowing that his actions may be the cause of his execution since for several years he would not be recognized as a true citizen with any rights and in fact virtually an enemy to the Confederate States. However, upon his safe return, after dealing out justice to rebel Confederate State cowards the recrimination “…I lost my son! I lost them all because a bastard like you hunted them down and killed them…” spewed forth demeaning Thaddeus and accusing him of being a murderer and a lesser man.

And then, including previous similar demeaning altercations, “You have your chance Thaddeus and on your head, be it. But understand this young man, you may have bitten off a bit more than you can chew with me.” Surely this indicates a lack of respect towards Thaddeus hinged on the age difference between them. This could well point towards a relationship where Thaddeus would not be able to take his rightful place as the head of the family should this relationship develop and result in marriage.

Now the question that arises is that if Thaddeus, by any miracle or even divine intervention remains there once reconciliation or acceptance from Elizabeth’s side had been established, could he trust Elizabeth not to go off at a tangent again should an otherwise mild crisis crop up in the future? Will he accept that he has to pussy-foot around Elizabeth?

I doubt that very much due to the dialog so far. I would be inclined to so say “Run Thaddeus, find a woman to grow old with that would respect you and unflinchingly support your decisions and actions, and love you regardless of any shortcomings”. But, that is only but a dream, right?

So, YouDidWut, what are you going to do? In my humble opinion, tread lightly, fix this budding relationship and give your story a chance to the hall of fame. Excellent so far, high 5, you have talent and have researched the facts surrounding this tragic period thoroughly.

DogFuzzDogFuzzabout 6 years ago
Confused

While I enjoyed chapter 2, I was unsure how to voice my comments. I read the comments by Awakads and said, “Yes”. He nailed my feelings and stated it so well. So sir, there seems to be some joint opinions on your future direction. Thank you and for listening to your readers.

BAnde53507BAnde53507about 6 years ago
Five Stars

My only complaint for this chapter is that it is too short. More please!

Hamp67Hamp67about 6 years ago
Compelled to comment...

I have never commented to any story I have read on this or any other site. Over the past day and a half I have read every one of the stories you have posted, finishing with this one. I did not expect to find this level of quality or originality on this site, I am not easily impressed, but I am with your story telling none the less. Just made you my one and only favorite author. Keep up the great work.

rickydean56rickydean56about 6 years ago
Don’t make me wait

Sorry but I prefer to read complete stories. I don’t like waiting months for the next chapter. I will make you a favorite and come back so please finish.

Please

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 6 years ago
Please continue

It is not nice to leave the story unfinished.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 6 years ago
Great Story

This is a great story, I just hope there is more coming. Please?!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 6 years ago
FTDS

Please, finish the story. Keep writing....yours are the best stories of any genre I have read on any site. More please!

TarlosoTarlosoover 5 years ago
Nice work

It's been a good read, period perfect and interesting. Nice to see your coming back as I hope to enjoy more of this enjoyable series

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
A small correction.

Excellent story and extremely well told, yes, I would like to hear more. Now whether that involves the same characters, or introduces us to others,,, that is up tp you.

Please be aware, this is from memory. The 9th Louisiana NG (there was some alphabet soup that followed,, I really do not remember. Was formed in 1863, not 1866. It was formed during the war. Louisiana fell under the North's control early,, and yes, formed of black soldiers and two black officers. I think the fact there were two black officers is the most telling and important point.

Your inclusion of Chamberlain and a demonstration if his respectful and generous treatment of a surrendered Confederacy speaks to your knowledge of history. It is appreciated by me.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
I wonder if the response differences is due to the tags

and the period in which the story is set. Certainly not to the quality of the story or the interest in the characters from this reader who first read civil war history at about the age of 10. Thank you.

SonofCalliciousSonofCalliciousover 5 years ago
Good tale

I just read Bandit, then clicked your name to see what else you have written and found this.

I believe, in response to your author's note, that the difference is the historical significance of this story, particularly coming from the vantage point of a Confederate officer. There were a few very small issues with historical accuracy that chafed me, but the story line, the character development, and attention to detail drove this one.

Why this story did not get as many views as did Bandit, I don't know. The titles lead to two different thoughts, and for those of us who browse the lists looking only at titles, and perhaps the miniscule blurb attached, Bandit catches the eye more quickly. I do not suggest changing titles. It is just a thought as to the click rate.

General Richardson and the Buffalo Soldiers indeed played an important role in the west, and to those who know and understand military history, General Richardson is on par with nearly any fighting officer we have ever fielded. He was indeed known for his fairness and justice and had the respect of the Apache as a great war chief.

travaynetravayneover 5 years ago
Please continue

The artistry, craftsmanship, historical authenticity and sheer drama of this story has left me breathless. Please, please continue with the tale of Thaddeus, Beth and Shannon.

BoyertownBoyertownover 5 years ago
WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN?

You are an incredibly gifted writer. You have an ingrained ability to pull the reader in almost immediately with your word choices. It is an easy read, yet one full of emotions and anticipation. Not too many writers have this innate skill. Congratulations! I am one of your true fans.

johsunjohsunover 3 years ago

Good story. I enjoyed the comment on the age differences in married couples after the US Civil war. I've heard that after WW1 in France a similar thing happened as they lost a large percentage of a generation of men.

NewOldGuy77NewOldGuy77about 3 years ago

Again, well done. A 5 star effort.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

I am still wondering why Beth slapped Thad's face. Exactly what got her so upset? Her excuse seemed so illogical and feeble that it just did not count as an explanation.

Now I know that to us mere males women's decisions are as unfathomable as they are illogical (that is how they appear to us men anyway) so maybe that is the reason the author did not proffer a decent excuse.

A female friend won a large amount of money at the races. The winning horse was named Curly Wave. She had bet heavily on it coz she just knew the horse would win coz she had just had her hair done that day. Can't fault the outcome, just the (il)logical reasoning.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

I think both you and SaddleTramp make admirable use of reasearched historical backfround. There is so much amazing and factual history avaiable that many stories can arrived prepped with a factual background.

You make excellent use if this and I'm really enjoying this story.!

oldpantythiefoldpantythief12 months ago

Very emotional and intense, but I loved it.

linnearlinnear7 months ago

Just wonderful.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userYouDidWhut@YouDidWhut
Every god and every demon, every heaven and every hell is inside you. Hey everyone. My 20th story posted today and I wanted to say thanks because it’s been a while since I said thank you for following along. So, thank you. It means more to me than you will ever know. Thank...

READ MORE OF THIS SERIES

SIMILAR Stories