All Comments on 'When We Were Young'

by Thefireflies

Sort by:
  • 36 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Thank you

Beautiful story, thank you.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Slow

But worth the wait. Very nicely done.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
73,000 Words

A nice story (novel) where the happy things happen to the good people. A pleasant interlude. Thank you for all that world.

AZTT2AZTT2over 3 years ago

Lovely with great characters.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago

The fact that I was so hooked a page in that when I saw the "22" at the bottom I only sort of groaned but decided to press on regardless speaks volumes for how good of a setup you have here. 22 pages is a very ambitious project - easy for a writer to get lost in and even easier for readers to skip because it does feel daunting - and I'm happy to report that you absolutely nailed it. Maybe this is a weird compliment, but the way you put into words the minefield of post-breakup awkwardness when you do happen to meet each other is so compelling that I was physically wincing a couple of times during the first and second meeting of Isobel and Erin. To be that realistic in a story so fundamentally sappy (in the best way, of course) is really hard, and you managed beautifully. Thank you for taking the time and for sharing this with us!

Also, I hold you personally responsible for not getting any work done at all this morning.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago

The last three pages got fairly boring.

Overall it was 15 pages too long.

And, please, learn to use the correct first person pronoun (I and me) correctly.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Epic

Next level.

Cheers

ThefirefliesThefirefliesover 3 years agoAuthor

Thanks for the comments thus far, I’m glad most of you enjoyed it :-)

SisterJezabelSisterJezabelover 3 years ago

Queenslander! Epic tale. Had me hooked way past my bedtime. You have such a way of telling stories and letting them evolve. Thank you.

ThefirefliesThefirefliesover 3 years agoAuthor

Thanks SJ, I like your stories too! (Check them out, dear readers ;-)

dsmith74dsmith74over 3 years ago
Home

Having grown up in South East QLD this reminded me so much of my youth and some good & bad choices.... Everything about this story was perfect!

Hope it wins!! 10stars if i could!

OmenainenOmenainenover 3 years ago

What a wonderful story! I loved the characters, I loved the flow, and once I got into it it didn’t feel as long as it was. The ending was a bit too sweet for my liking, but wrapped things up beautifully. Thank you for this! I’m gonna go read your older ones now.

RollinbonesRollinbonesover 3 years ago

You can't teach cadence a smart woman once told me. And your writing flows perfectly. Something many people never achieve.

I love that a Liam got a cameo. They are usually extras.

You're use of setting was wonderful and pulled a fellow queenslander right inside your prose. I knew the streets and visited many of the derelict buildings in another life many years ago in the late 90's. Further, your use of Australian music pulled me into the timeframe of your story.

The sex was gently graphic and lovingly described.

The plot was honest, compelling and flowed easily.

5 stars. Will be checking your other stuff out.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Wow!

I don't know who you are or what else you might write/be writing. Whatever and however, please preservere. Your writing is outstanding!

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Grin on my face

You know the feeling when you realize that you have a big grin on your face, and you've had it for a while but weren't really thinking about it?

I have that now.

This is a well written story. You describe scenes and actions without being tedious, emotions without too much repetition, and yet I've been reading for hours and gotten to know Erin and Charlie.

Thank you.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Professional

Has the makings to be a professional writer.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago

22 pages.....couldn’t stop.....was supposed to do some house cleaning for coming house guests today.....wife is going to kill me.....

AfricanbluAfricanblualmost 3 years ago

Loved it, brought npback awesome memories …IceHouse Great Southern Land

Thank you

e5jerseye5jerseyover 2 years ago

Outstanding story! 22 pages and I couldn't stop. Amazing, rich characters and story. Absolutely loved it.

Smiffy69Smiffy69over 2 years ago

Really enjoyed this story, even he length. The only downer for me, is that Charlie was still somewhat crippled. The good guys should come through right in the end, not damaged. Just my minor thing!

DistantConstellationDistantConstellationover 2 years ago

This is terrific. When you feel it, your characters come alive, and it's very good to read.

A writer's note - I suspect most of your readers could have written a full description of the wedding before the last couple of pages. You told us about Debbie's dream, and Jack's place in the mountains, and the new carriage, and ... it's just an example of how the story, beautifully written, nonetheless followed a well-marked path. Readers like to be surprised a bit - they like their characters to exhibit new depth, to be revealed in new ways. I suspect Erin, who has seen hundreds of weddings, might have liked it too.

This story never surprised - be bold! Consider what you accomplished in "A Pair of Lost Socks", in contrast to its companion, "Heather's Exquisite Map." The latter was pleasant, a good "4", but in my view just that. But "A Pair of Lost Socks" I thought was full of serious strength.

Nonetheless, thanks - very much appreciate the courage of putting one's writing out there in the world, especially when the craft is so self-evidently taken seriously.

Horseman68Horseman68about 2 years ago
Epic.

Truly one of the exceptionally best romance stories on this site or elsewhere — in every way. Thank you.

paulyepspaulyepsalmost 2 years ago

What a great story … I loved it .. you are a truly talented writer. Thanks for this !!

NoLongerAnonNoLongerAnonalmost 2 years ago

This is one of the best romance stories that I have read. It's by no means too long. In fact I feel more use could be made of Isobel and Joanne, who disappear from the story too quickly. I found the scene where Erin looks through her shoebox particularly poignant. Although generally very well written, I did pick up a problem with the homophones heal/heel and steel/steal.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Absolutely beautiful!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Good story, but way too wordy! The same story could be told more efficiently, & just as effectively, with half the words, and would be twice as interesting. Also why the crutches at their wedding? Considering the progress made in the first several months, after the injury, a year & a half later he should have had no need for crutches!

Boyd PercyBoyd Percyover 1 year ago

I never left a comment but gave it a 5!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Amazing story. Thank you so much for sharing this treasure. My favorite part is how real the people are. Makes me think about my life and what's important.

FranziskaSissyFranziskaSissyabout 1 year ago

Romance par excellence …… Soooo beautiful so lovely …… unfortunately we do need getting kicked hard in the guts before becoming a better self ….. but getting a second chance is something special a d hopefully will turn into an endless ocean oflove ….. thank you for sharing this sweet tale

💝💝💝💝💝💝💝💝💝💝💫💫💫💫💫💫💫💫💫💫

AnonymousAnonymous11 months ago

Just over 16 pages of their drama and then you just jumped into 18 months later.....nice way to fuck up a good story by rushing it and dumping on the end

AnonymousAnonymous11 months ago

5 stars BUT the end was too rushed....18 months came too soon

OU8ME2ICOU8ME2IC10 months ago

This is beautiful love story. Now one of my favorites. Well written with believable character dialogue. Where their emotion's come across the page to the reader. Sadness, sorrow, anguish, hopefulness and joy to name some. Thank you for the time and effort you gave to allow Erin and Charlie to tell their story. Cheers

AnonymousAnonymous7 months ago

Wow, this was a damn fine read. It was entirely captivating, through and through. The characters were great, the story flowed slowly but purposefully, outstanding on the whole, thanks for sharing...!

6King6King3 months ago

⭐⭐ 1/2 Way too long with a fucked ending.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 months ago

Too fucking long

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userThefireflies@Thefireflies
Thanks for dropping by my story page. I like to write for pleasure, mine and hopefully yours. I still have many story ideas, I'm just excellent at procrastinating, even when I do get time to write. So, my dear readers, please be patient. A quick word about typos: they are prob...