When You Know, You Know

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Since it was just supposed to be the five of us, I knew I was on my own tonight. I'd already gotten ready so I figured what the hell. I'd still go out and at least have a few beers.

~ no problem. Tell Pops I said hi if you can get him calmed down lmao ~

~ will do. You still goin out? ~

~ yea fuck it. Already ready. I'll see what hell I can raise lol ~

~ I'll call ya on our way back, if ur still out we'll swing by ~

~ sounds good ~

Their grandpa, or Pops as we all called him, had Alzheimer's and every now and again had a breakdown at the home. He wasn't too far along with it yet, so he still knew who everyone was, but sometimes it just took his grandkids to calm him down.

A few minutes later I headed out to the truck, fired it up, saddled up, and pointed my truck towards town. The Phillies had the day off today so instead of streaming the radio broadcast on the drive in because I couldn't watch it, I filled the fifteen minute drive with some country music, singing along and enjoying myself. Even if I was riding solo tonight, I'd have a good time.

A few minutes later I pulled my truck into the cracked pavement parking lot of the only bar in town, ironically named "The Bar" and shut it down, hoping out of the truck and heading towards the door.

My second recovery had been a good one, since a few months ago hoping out of the lifted truck like that would have killed my knee, now, I didn't even really feel it. Part of me thought about trying to play again, but I when I ran and felt a little pain I knew it was truly over. That and I wasn't signed to a team, and who would take an injury prone AAA catcher?

Shaking the thought from my head I grabbed the handle to the door and made my way inside and up to the bar, grabbing the stool on the end. The place wasn't dead, but it wasn't crowded either.

I had chosen my seat purposely for the reason that it had a great view of the tv in the corner, which at the moment, was playing the Red Sox and Orioles game. Even though the Sox gave me my chance to move up in the league, they weren't high on my favorite teams list, but I always rooted for them nonetheless.

Tonight, they were beating the Orioles six to four in the seventh, so I just settled in to watch the end, knowing the Mets and Braves game was on after. That would be a better game.

I was going back and forth between watching and making small talk with other patrons I knew and Ashley, the bartender. Ashley and I graduated the same year in high school, so we were always friendly with each other.

It seemed ninety percent of people in town knew who I was. I was the local kid who almost made it, but in their eyes, I did make it. Luckily, the stardom wore off really fast, and by this point I was just a regular Joe to them, but every now and again someone would still buy me a beer.

"Riding solo tonight?" Ashley, or Ash as I called her, asked.

"Yep. Connors' grandpa is going crazy again," I laughed.

"Poor guy. He was one of my regulars for years," she said sadly. "Other than that how's he doing?"

"Other than that, he's doing good I'd say. I've stopped and seen him a few times since I've been home."

"That's good. He was always a great guy," she smiled.

"You're tellin me," I laughed. "I think he was at every baseball game we ever played. Cheering on his grandsons and the rest of us."

"I know," she laughed. "In high school we ALL were at every game. Somehow you guys made baseball more important to the school than football," she added with a laugh.

She didn't get a chance to say anything more since another customer motioned to her for another beer, so she flitted off to take care of him and I turned my attention back to the game.

By this time, the bar was filling up. Most of the tables were still empty but there was only two or three seats left at the bar itself. I figured at some point I'd wind up giving up my seat, opting for hanging out in the corner shooting pool with whoever wanted to play, which was usually a good number of people.

"This seat taken?" I heard from a feminine voice behind me.

"Nope," I shrugged as I turned to look at her, gesturing towards the seat.

I was momentarily taken aback by the sight of her. I would have to admit, she was objectively the most beautiful woman I had ever seen in my life. In real life or any other form of media. She was absolutely stunning in my eyes.

She wasn't your typical 'beauty queen' type. That wasn't MY type. She wasn't caked up in makeup, I didn't even think she was wearing any. She was in worn Tigers baseball cap, a Luke Combs t-shirt she obviously got at a concert, a form fitting pair of jeans, and a pair of square toe cowboy boots that I doubted had ever seen a speck of dirt in their life. Outfit fits my type? Check.

She had long, thick, wavy auburn hair that flowed freely down her back, with a few luscious strands hanging loose around her face, almost framing it. Her face was the definition of perfection, framed with a cute pair of glasses, her fair skin lightly dotted with freckles leading me to believe she had some recent Irish heritage running strong in her genes.

I guessed she was about five foot five, with a body made of dreams hidden behind that Luke Combs t-shirt. I was never the best at guessing a cup size, but I'd call you crazy if you told me they were anything less than a D-cup. Letting my eyes travel further down I could tell she had an amazingly small waist that flared out to an even more amazing set of hips, baring what would no doubt be a world class ass if she ever turned around, that flowed into nicely toned and shapely legs. She was perfection, that much I was sure of.

"Should I do a twirl?" She asked with an impossibly cute giggle, clearly letting me know she wasn't upset with my gaze.

"I... uh... I'm so sorry," I stammered before trying to save it. "I just don't think I've ever seen you in here before, I was just trying to remember if I knew you."

"It's fine," she laughed as she climbed into the bar stool. "You probably don't recognize me. I'm fairly new in town. My family just moved here this winter. I just graduated from nursing school, so moving back home with the family brought me here."

"Well, on behalf of the entire town, welcome to our town," I laughed as I motioned Ash over to grab me a new beer as well as let the newcomer place an order. "I'm Jack," I added, offering her my hand.

"Tegan," she said in kind as she shook my hand. "I'm just happy everyone here seems to be nice."

"Everyone knows everyone here. There's no room to be an asshole," I said with a chuckle. "Plus, the bar is good so that's two things we got goin for us here."

"I came in here for lunch the other day, so I'd have to agree with ya," she said with a smile that could achieve world peace. "What's your story Jack? Grow up here?"

"Yep. Born, raised, and set my own roots here. They call it a comeback town. You either stay, or if you do leave, you wind up coming back," I laughed. "All in all it's not a bad place to live."

"So far I'm really enjoying it. It's quiet," she mused. "Did you stay here, or are you one of the ones who came back?"

"I got out for a little while, thought I'd stay gone, but right about now, I'm real happy I came back," I said with a sincere smile, still in disbelief that this beautiful woman would want to spend her time talking with me.

"What do you do?" She asked after taking a long swig off her Corona.

"Semi driver," I said before taking a pull off my own PBR before laughing and adding. "If you ever buy pickles, just know I'm the one who got em there."

"My hero," she laughed, feigning a damsel in distress.

"What about you Tegan, what's your story?" I asked with genuine interest and a smile.

"Not much to tell. I grew up by Gaylord. Went to college and nursing school in Kentucky, and moved back with my family after graduation. Dad had to move my mom and younger brother here for work."

"So just graduated nursing school, that would put you at what? Twenty four?" I asked.

"Twenty five," she corrected. "Took a year off between high school and college to work and save up some money."

"That's not a bad move," I allowed. "Everything's so expensive now."

"Ain't that the truth." She laughed, "I'd guess you're what? Twenty five as well? Somewhere around there."

"Twenty seven," I corrected.

"Well hello Jack, truck driver, age twenty seven," she giggled as she stuck out her hand again.

"Well hello Tegan, recent nursing school graduate, age twenty five," I laughed as I shook her hand again.

"Are you meeting anyone here tonight?" I asked, praying the answer was no.

"That's the plan," she answered. "Met a few girls when I moved in so we're meeting for drinks."

"I probably know them," I laughed, feeling relief that she didn't say she was meeting a guy.

"Everyone knows everyone here," she giggled, parroting my words from earlier. "Tigers play today? I haven't been able to sit down and watch a game since moving home so I'm all but lost."

"What makes you think I'm a baseball fan?" I asked with a lopsided grin.

"Phillies hat, sitting alone at the bar right in front of the tv, watching the game intently? Call it an educated guess." She laughed.

So she's drop dead gorgeous AND likes baseball? Dream come true right there... maybe I could convert her to a Phillies fan.

"You found me out," I chuckled. "Yea they played earlier. Six five. Got the win over Texas."

"Big baseball fan?" I asked as she took a swig from her beer.

"Dad worships it, so I didn't have a choice growing up. Guess it rubbed off on me," she said with a shrug.

"Then we'll get along just fine," I said with a smile.

"That was the deciding factory?" She asked with a half frown, though she couldn't hide the smile in her eyes.

"No, uh..." I began, not sure how to save that fumble.

"Relax Jack I'm just messin with ya," she laughed. Her laugh was musical.

"Good. I wasn't sure I could recover from that one if you weren't," I laughed back.

We sat and chatted for the next hour. Talking about anything under the sun. I honestly couldn't remember having a more pleasant conversation. It didn't hurt that she was the most beautiful thing I'd ever seen in my life.

I wasn't good at reading signs and cues from women, but I had a feeling she was enjoying it immensely as well. I bought her her second beer, desperately searching for any excuse to talk to her longer. I was a little heartbroken when her friends finally walked in the door.

"I've had a wonderful time tonight Jack," she said with a sincere smile. "We'll have to do this again sometime."

"I'd like nothing more," I smiled back, hoping she could see how sincere I was.

"I'll be sure to see you around," she said, flashing me another heart melting smile and touching my arm as she got up and moved to her friends.

No time for further goodbyes. As quick as she came in, the most beautiful thing I'd ever seen left. I couldn't even get the words out in time to ask for her phone number. I knew I'd see her again. In a town this small it was almost impossible not to, but regardless, I wish I'd have asked for her number so I could at least know WHEN I'd see her again.

Figuring my night at the bar couldn't get any better from this moment, I decided I'd head home, build a fire, and take it easy. I set some cash down on the bar in front of me, knowing exactly what my tab was going to be, and motioned to Ash that the money and her tip were there, and made my way out the door after finishing off the last of my beer.

I spent the fifteen minute drive home thinking back over our conversation, trying to remember every word, every smile, and every laugh. God she was beautiful. I knew I was hooked. I just hoped it wasn't a one time thing.

I built my fire, kicked back with some good music, and relaxed the rest of the night. I kept finding my mind wandering to her. I could say it a thousand times a day, every day for the rest of my life, but the words could never do her justice. She truly was beautiful.

**

On Sunday I made my way into town to do my weekly grocery shopping and stop by the twenty four hour ATM at the bank. I always tried to draw my weekly spending money out on Sunday's and make it last through the week. I was usually pretty good about that.

As I was pushing my cart up the aisle at Larry's, the local grocery store, I found my mind once again drifting to her. I was lost in my own thoughts as I mindlessly put the items I knew I needed in my cart.

"Jack?" I heard from behind me, snapping me out of my daydream.

"Coach!" I exclaimed as I turned to my name.

"How ya been kid?" He asked, walking up to shake my hand.

"Can't complain. Good job. Good house. Livin the dream," I said. "How's the team lookin this year?"

"Need a little guidance, especially behind the plate and with the bats," he smiled at me. "If only there was someone around here that knew how to catch and hit at a big league level."

"Deal." I said with a laugh before he could say anymore.

"Really?" He asked in surprise. "I thought it would take more convincing."

"Coach you know I'd take any excuse to be on a ball field," I laughed.

"True. I'd been hoping I'd run into you so I could ask." He chuckled.

"You could have just called," I said with a grin.

"True, but I didn't want to put you in a spot."

"Fair," I said with a shrug. "Practices still at three?"

"That they are," he said, sticking his hand out to shake on the deal.

"I get off at three most days, I can probably be there by three thirty."

"Works for us."

"Can't wait," I said with a smile.

"Sorry about the knee kid," he said with sincere sadness in his voice. "You were definitely something else."

I'd heard it all before. All the condolences. Sympathy. All that junk, and I was tired of it, but coming from Coach, it didn't upset me. I knew he understood. Threw out his arm pitching in the minor leagues himself, so it wasn't just a sentiment someone couldn't understand coming from him.

"It's all good," I shrugged. "I had my run. I got to play in a World Series. Can't really complain about that."

"No, no you can't," he laughed. "See you tomorrow at the field."

"Wouldn't miss it."

**

I flew through work on Monday sitting on cloud nine. I'd never considered coaching before, but hell, the more I thought of it, the more excited I became. I knew I knew how to do the stuff, and I'd sure been coached enough in my life, so I was hoping I could at least halfway be a decent coach to the kids.

Luckily, I had to pass my house on the way up to the high school, so I quick whipped in my driveway, ran inside, threw on my baseball pants, grabbed my baseball bag and my cleats, and headed out the door back to the truck and head to the field.

I was wearing a t-shirt with the high school logo on it, even though our colors were blue and yellow, so it looked a little strange with my red pinstriped pants from the Phillies. I knew I'd have to run into "The City" as we called it to get a pair of plain white ones, or at least ones with just a blue stripe.

I pulled up to the baseball field while the kids were still running laps, so I wasn't in a rush to get my cleats on and head towards the dugout to drop my bag. Coach met me with a big smile and a clap on the back as he walked back towards me.

"Good to see you Jack. I'm sure the kids will be thrilled to have a real life major leaguer teaching them to hit," he laughed.

"Just don't oversell me Coach," I laughed. "What's the plan for the day?"

"Game tomorrow, I hope you can make it. It's not till four thirty over in Lexington." He began. "So we're just going to take BP, some fielding drills, and run through some game situations. Light stuff. They've been playing decent, just making a few dumb errors here and there and not giving our pitchers run support when they're struggling."

"Fair enough. Just tell me what you want me to do, and I'll do it," I said with a smile. It felt good to be back on a field.

"I've been thinkin Jack," Coach began.

"Oh no," I chuckled as I waited for him to continue.

"The assistant job is yours if you want it. I've just been having parents fill in when they can. The pay is zero dollars but it's fun," he laughed.

"Let's just see how the first couple practices and games go before all that," I said with a smile. "So what do you want me to do today?"

"Run the practice," Coach said seriously. "It'll be good for the kids to get a change in pace, and it'll probably help motivate them if they're doing what you would do before a game."

"Coach you know my rituals come right from what you taught me in high school," I said with a laugh.

"Still, it's got your own touch. We've lost the first four of the season, maybe a change in pace will help," he shrugged.

"Fair enough."

"BRING IT ON IN BOYS!" He called. Those were my favorite words to hear when I was playing for him. Guy definitely liked to keep his teams in shape.

"We've got a special guest here with us for a while," he began as the kids gathered around. "This here, as some of you may know, is Jack Wilson. Played a good handful of years in the minors and spent a year in The Show with the Phillies. Graduated high school right here. Some of you have probably seen his name in the trophy case. Listen to him. He knows what he's talking about. We're going to change things up a little today. We've got the double header tomorrow, and we need a pair of wins big time, so we're gonna have Jack here take us through practice, just like how he would before a big league game. Jack, take it away."

"Thanks Coach for that warm, but over sold introduction," I laughed. "He's definitely over blowing it, but yea, if it's alright with you guys, I'll work with the hitters and fielders today, and Coach will obviously take the pitchers, because, well, I can't pitch for shit."

That got a laugh from the players. I planned on just doing normal drills with the fielders, since third base was my backup position so I was halfway decent at that, and then spend a good amount of time in the cages. I had a coach in AA who would always say, you can't win if you don't score runs, but it's easier to win if you don't let them score either. Basically a joke saying as long as you out score them, you can't lose, and since coach said we were lacking run support, I figured cage time was a higher priority.

Practice went really well. I could tell right away that the errors these kids were making in the field were purely physical. Coach had done a good job ingraining the mental part of the game into them, so luckily most of the issues just came from a lack of skill, not know how. That can be trained rather easily.

I felt bad for Coach. It's hard to teach every aspect of the game to a group of kids by yourself. You can't split them up into groups. It's everyone working on the same thing, so unfortunately that led to a lack of specialized training in areas that needed it.

By the time we were done running fielding exercises, I could already see an improvement in their game. Ninety percent of it was just a lack of confidence and reps. Our two catchers though, they needed some work. One of them just started at the position, the backup, and the other was only ever a backup growing up, and was now thrust into a starting spot as a senior since the starter graduated last year. Luckily, I knew what made a catcher and would spend considerable time in the future working with them.

When we got to the cages I saw more of the same. Just a few tweaks were needed in a few players swings here and there. Coach was a pitcher, so batting wasn't his forte, so fixing a bad swing wasn't real easy for him. I'd never had to teach anyone anything before, but I was proud to say I felt like I was doing a good job of it.

When we all came back together at the end of practice, we were going to run some game situations, and since all of the pitchers were loose, we'd let them each pitch an inning, unless their pitch count got over twenty, then we'd swap them out. Everyone except the starter for the next day, he only got ten pitches, half as a challenge, half to keep his arm fresh.