Where No One Has Gone Before Pt. 05

Story Info
The saga continues as the mystery deepens.
17.6k words
4.85
9.4k
26

Part 5 of the 9 part series

Updated 06/10/2023
Created 06/24/2021
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Where No One Has Gone Before, Pt. 05

I suggest you read "The Armstrong Incident," and the first four parts of this story to fully understand everything that takes place here, although it's not a requirement. It might also help to read "The Plant," as parts of this story refer to events in that series.

Many thanks to those who offered comments and constructive criticism on my previous stories. For those who want to say this or that would never happen, remember this is my universe, a place where nearly anything can, and often does, happen. At least on paper...

And now, the disclaimers:

For those who want to say this or that would never happen, remember this is my universe, a place where nearly anything can, and often does, happen. At least on paper... In addition:

  1. Characters in this story may participate in one or more of the following: Smoking, consumption of adult (meaning, alcoholic) beverages, utterance of profanities.
  2. All sexual activity is between consenting adults 18 years of age or older.
  3. Statements or views uttered by the fictional characters in this story do not necessarily reflect the views or opinions of the author.

Please refer to my profile for more on my personal policy regarding comments, feedback, follows, etc. (Yes, I DO moderate comments) And please remember, this is a work of fiction, not a docu-drama...

...

End of "Where No One Has Gone Before, Pt. 04"

"Starbase One, this is Enterprise. We have completed docking and are on station power," she announced.

"Roger that," a female voice replied. "Welcome home, Enterprise." After five years of traveling faster than light, it felt somewhat strange to be standing still. Leesa punched another button on her console.

"All hands, this is the Captain. Stand down all stations. Prepare to disembark. Ship's formation in one hour." She turned to me with a wistful look on her face. "Well, Bill, I guess this is it."

"Yes, ma'am, I guess so."

"It's been a pleasure serving with you. And an honor," Leesa said, giving me another sisterly hug, and I returned her hug.

"The pleasure, and the honor, are mine, Captain," I told her. She looked around the bridge one last time and sighed.

"I'm going to miss this ship, Bill. It's been my home for more than ten years. Take good care of her for me, please."

"I will, Leesa. I promise," I told her. After bringing our stations down and securing the bridge, I made one final check to ensure everything was ready, then headed for the hatch to join the crew in our final formation of the voyage.

...

And now, "Where No One Has Gone Before, Pt. 05"

For the first time in five years, I stepped through the main hatch and found myself outside the hull of the Enterprise. Leesa was right behind me. Being the ship's master and commander, she was, by tradition, the last to leave the vessel. Everyone else was already on the large platform standing in formation.

Leesa took her place at the head of the formation, and I took my place one step behind her. The Chief of the Boat, Command Master Chief Swanson, smartly saluted her after calling the rest of the crew to attention.

"Posts!" Leesa commanded, prompting Master Chief Swanson to take his position toward the back of the formation. Officers and enlisted chiefs followed suit in the formation. Leesa and I turned as Alan came forward, resplendent in his uniform, his four stars gleaming. Leesa saluted smartly as she reported to him.

"USS Enterprise reporting as ordered, sir," she barked. "All personnel present and accounted for." Alan returned her salute, then softened a bit.

"Welcome home, Captain," he said. "It's been a long time."

"Yes, sir, it has," Leesa replied. We spent the next 45 minutes presenting promotions, commendations, and medals to crew members, including Kyra. I proudly pinned the commander's silver oak leaves on her uniform. It was difficult, but I resisted the urge to take her in my arms.

I couldn't help but notice Kyra's parents, Tom and Gloria, watching the ceremony. They smiled and applauded when Kyra received her commendation and her promotion. I also saw my parents standing close by. For some reason, Dad chose to wear his old Corps uniform. They also smiled and applauded when Kyra was recognized.

After the crew had received their accolades and promotions, Alan motioned for Leesa, Jim, and me to form up in front of him. He took an ornate folder from his aide and turned to everyone assembled.

"Ladies and gentlemen, I have the distinct pleasure of promoting three very deserving individuals today. Not only are they being promoted - they each will be starting their new jobs as of today. Captain Leesa Hawkins, it is my distinct pleasure to promote you to the rank of Commodore. You are also hereby directed to report to the newly-formed Star Fleet Academy in San Francisco, California, where you will serve as the Academy's first Commandant of Cadets. Congratulations."

Alan pinned Leesa's new rank insignia - a single silver star - on her shoulders. He shook her hand when he finished and congratulated her on her new rank and assignment. Then he turned to me.

"Commander William Jones - I remember the day you first reported to me on the USS Armstrong. You were a Senior Lieutenant at the time and served as my weapons officer. That is a mission I will never forget. I have followed your career closely, and I take great pride in promoting you to the rank of Captain. I am also pleased to announce that you will take the center chair as master and commander of the USS Enterprise. Congratulations, Bill. You've earned it."

"Thank you, sir," I said in response as he pinned the eagles on my shoulders. I heard applause behind me as Alan shook my hand. Then he turned to Jim.

"Lt. Commander James Decker - Believe it or not, son, no one has yet to match your scores at the Academy or at Advanced Operations School. I've kept my eye on you ever since I saw you at the Academy. I take a great deal of pride in promoting you to full Commander, to serve as the Executive Officer of the USS Enterprise. Congratulations, Commander."

"Thank you, sir," Jim said as Alan pinned the silver oak leaves on his shoulders. They shook hands, and Alan turned to the assembled group.

"We have one small bit of business yet," he said, motioning to Master Chief Swanson, who smartly marched to the flagpole in front of the formation. He lifted the colors and stood at attention behind Alan.

"Attention to Orders," Alan declared, prompting the formation to snap to attention. "By order of Star Fleet Command, Commodore Leesa Hawkins is relieved of her post as Commanding Officer of the Enterprise." Swanson marched forward, presenting the ship's colors to Leesa, who accepted them. She turned to face me.

"I stand relieved, sir," she announced.

"From this moment forward, Captain William Jones is directed to assume his new post as Commanding Officer of the USS Enterprise," Alan announced. I turned to face Leesa and accepted the colors from her.

"I accept my post, and the responsibility that goes with it, sir," I stated. After taking the colors, I faced Master Chief Swanson, who took them from me and replaced them in the holder, returning to his post.

"Captain Jones," Alan said, handing me a small envelope. "Your first mission as master and commander of this vessel is something a bit unorthodox. I would like you to give myself and a select group of individuals a short trip aboard Enterprise to help us appreciate what you and your fine crew do on a daily basis. When can you be ready for launch?"

"The engines are still warm, sir. We can be ready in an hour," I replied.

"Very well, Captain," Alan smiled. "Prepare to launch in one hour."

"Aye aye, sir," I responded. "Master Chief Swanson. First shift on station. Everyone else at their posts. We launch in one hour." Swanson snapped to attention.

"Aye aye, Captain," he barked before turning to the crew. "First shift to stations. All personnel report to your posts. Launch in one hour. MOVE!" The crew bolted from the formation and ran back into the safety of the giant vessel. I turned and saw my parents approach. Tom and Gloria were close by.

"Congratulations, son," Dad exclaimed, giving me a manly hug. "Captain of the Enterprise. Damn. I'm so proud of you boy."

"Thanks, Dad," I told him. He turned to Kyra and gave her a hug as well.

"And how's my lovely daughter-in-law?"

"I'm doing great, Pop," she said. "You're looking good!"

"Well, it's that mountain air, you know. Nothing like it!" He turned to Alan. "Admiral, it's good to see you again," he boomed, shaking hands.

"It's good to see you as well, Master Chief," Alan said. "You ready for the ride of your life?"

"Wait," I interjected. "You're on this exhibition?"

"Hell yeah," Dad said. "Why do you think I got all dressed up? I wanna see my boy in action!"

"Mom, are you coming as well?" I asked.

"Of course," Mom said. "So are Tom and Gloria. And a few others. Bob and Carol Decker are here as well." I know they were Jim's parents and saw the surprise on my new first officer's face.

"Well, Jim, I guess we'd better give our guests a smooth ride," I said. "Better get to it."

"Aye aye, sir," Jim said with a smile. He hugged his parents and headed into the ship.

"Who else is coming?" I asked Alan.

"No one important. Just the Senator who provides our funding," Alan said with a wry smile. "Of course, I'll be there as well as Commodore Hawkins. I'd like to see how well she trained you."

"Well, I guess we'd better make this a good run, then," I joked. Alan chuckled at that.

"Please do. It's nothing fancy, just a quick run around the block," Alan said. "We should be back in a couple hours. And before you ask, I've already had our guests cleared by medical." That took a load off my mind.

"Well, if you'll excuse me, I have work to do," I said.

"We'll come with you, if you don't mind," Dad said. Tom and Gloria stood next to my parents.

"Of course," I said. We turned and headed back to the ship. I saw Tom look up at the giant vessel in amazement before entering.

"My God, that's a big ass ship," he declared.

"Not nearly as big as the man commanding her," Dad proudly remarked. At that moment, I felt ten feet tall. Dad had always supported my career, but hearing him say that in public meant more to me than all the medals and commendations I had earned over the years.

We entered the vessel and made our way to the bridge. Our guests looked around in awe, taking in the highly advanced stations.

"Senator John Jacoby, Captain," one of the guests said, extending his hand. "This is quite a ship."

"Yes, Senator, it is," I said. "And worth every penny it took to build her."

"I'm sure it is," he said with a smile.

"If you'll excuse me, Senator," I said before turning to the crew. I motioned for Jim to take my old seat. He looked at me a bit funny, then sat down and began his countdown, receiving status reports from the other stations. I looked at the center console - Leesa's old chair.

"Go ahead, Captain. It doesn't bite," I heard Leesa say from behind me.

"It just feels... strange, not having you at the conn," I told her.

"Get used to it, Bill. This is your ship now." She smiled, then left to join the other guests along the back bulkhead where temporary seating had been secured. I looked at the center chair for a moment, then sat down and looked at the envelope Alan had given me.

Opening it, I found that he had already filed our flight plan. The trip would take us around Jupiter, then return to Starbase One. A short flight, but enough to give our guests some good memories. I handed it to the navigator, who encoded the plan into the system. I looked around and saw the bridge was a flurry of activity as everyone worked to prepare for the launch.

"Status, Number One?" I asked Jim after about a half-hour. He smiled when he looked at me, then gave his report.

"All stations report ready for launch, Captain," he said. "Outer hatches sealed, bay depressurized. Star Base Command is ready to retract umbilicals and gangplanks."

"Give the word," I told him.

"Aye aye, sir," Jim responded as he gave the directions. I felt the umbilicals retract and noticed the slight flicker indicating the ship was now on its own power. I heard a ping from the console attached to my chair and looked to find a message from Base Flight Control.

"We are under our own power now," I heard Leesa inform our guests.

"Opening outer launch doors," the tinny voice said from my chair

speaker. I saw the giant doors in front of us slowly slide open. I pressed the intercom button and made my first announcement to the crew as Captain.

"All hands, this is the Captain. Stand by for launch." I began the now-familiar rundown.

"Ops," I called out.

"All systems go for launch," Lt. Rios replied.

"Engineering!"

"All systems nominal and within normal parameters. Go for launch, Captain," said Lt. Commander Michaels from the engineering station.

"Weapons!"

"All systems calibrated and locked, sir. All weapons accounted for," the Weapons Officer said.

"Comm!"

"Communications five by five, Captain," the senior communications officer replied.

"Navigation!"

"Course laid in and locked, Captain. ETA to Q-Point 15 minutes," said Lt. Trujillo, the senior navigator.

"Number One!"

"All personnel present and accounted for, Captain. All systems and stations report go for launch," Jim said. I punched a button on my console.

"Starbase One, this is Enterprise. Request clearance for launch."

"Clearance for launch approved, Enterprise," said a voice from the communications speaker overhead.

"Maneuvering thrusters only. Ahead one quarter, helm. Take us out," I said.

"Aye aye sir," the helmsman replied, gently pushing her controls forward. I felt the ship slowly move forward and heard slight gasps from the guests behind us. This was nothing, I thought, but I could understand their reactions. I saw the doors get larger as we inched forward, and then we were clear of the bay and in open space.

"Oh my," I heard Gloria gasp as Earth appeared before us. We slipped past our home planet, and I knew we were on our way.

"We are clear and free to navigate," Lt. Trujillo said.

"Ahead full," I ordered.

"Ahead full. Aye aye, sir," the helmsman repeated. I felt the extra g-forces as the ship's speed increased.

"Engineering... status," I remarked.

"All systems go, warp bubble forming," the engineer said.

"Set vector for Q-point," I said.

"Aye aye, sir," Lt. Trujillo responded, as his hands flew over the console in front of him.

"Q-point is where the Captain or whomever he designates gives the word to engage the faster-than-light engines," I heard Leesa inform our guests. I was glad she was there as I didn't want to explain all this. I had enough to do just keeping my nerves under control, knowing that every move was being evaluated by two seasoned ship commanders, a powerful Senator... and my Dad. I felt the g-forces increase as the ship gained speed.

"Now at max-Q," the helmsman said.

"Very well," I said. Once again, I heard Leesa patiently explain the statement to our guests.

"ETA to Q-point one minute, sir," Lt. Trujillo said. I pressed the ship-wide comm button on my panel.

"All hands, this is the Captain. Stand by for light speed," I announced. Afterward, I glanced at Jim, who gave a knowing smile and a slight nod. Unlocking my chair, I swiveled around to face our guests.

"Master Chief Jones," I said, causing the guests to look at me in anticipation of my next statement. "Would you care to give the word, sir?" Dad's eyes grew wide as he understood the meaning of my question.

"Uh, yes, sir. I'd be honored," he said with a smile.

"Very well, Master Chief. Make it so," I replied, returning his smile. I saw the looks of approval on Leesa's and Alan's faces and knew I had done the right thing. I swiveled back around and took a deep breath. Pucker time.

"Helm, at my command," Dad said with an authority I knew all too well. "Stand by to engage light speed."

"Aye aye, Master Chief," the helmsman replied. I looked at the countdown clock.

10...9...8...7...

"Stand by," Dad announced.

4...3...2...1...

"Engage!" I had experienced this many times, but it never failed to excite me. The transition to light speed and beyond is unlike anything one can imagine. For a brief millisecond, everything seems to stand still, and then...

"Now at Warp 1.03," the helmsman announced.

"Roger that, helm. Steady as she goes."

After I caught my breath and saw the familiar rainbow effect as the ship accelerated to a speed just a bit faster than light, I unlocked my chair. I swiveled around to check on our guests. Except for Dad, Leesa, Alan, and Kyra, the faces of our guests seemed frozen in a state of... shock? Awe? Wonder? Perhaps a bit of all those emotions.

"How is everyone holding up?" I asked.

"You... you do this all the time?" Gloria finally stammered, looking at Kyra, who smiled back before responding.

"All the time, Mother," she said. Gloria looked at her daughter with an expression I couldn't read, and it seemed to fall between pride and amazement.

"How do you manage it?" the older woman finally asked.

"Oh, it grows on you after a while," Kyra said.

"What do you think of her, Master Chief?" Alan asked Dad. "After all, you helped design her."

"This is a kick-ass ride, Admiral," Dad exclaimed, drawing laughter from the rest of the bridge crew, myself included. I looked at our official guests and wondered how they fared.

"What do you think, Senator Jacoby?" I asked.

"I have to agree with the Master Chief, Admiral," the older man said. "That was a kick-ass ride. And I flew hypersonic jets when I was in the Air Force. I'm very impressed." He looked at my father before continuing. "Did you really help design this?"

"Sure did, Senator. But these engines are far beyond what I helped design," Dad said.

"Master Chief Jones helped design the original frame for this craft and some of the original systems you see here, Senator," Alan interjected.

"Wait... Master Chief Jones... Captain Jones... Are you two related?" the Senator asked.

"Yes sir, we are," I answered. "The Master Chief is my father." The Senator smiled as he nodded his head.

"Well, Master Chief, you must be proud of your son, commanding the ship you helped design."

"I am, Senator," Dad said. "I couldn't be more proud of my boy."

"Listen, we have some time before we reach Jupiter. Why don't I give you a nickel tour of the place?" I asked.

"That sounds like a splendid idea, Captain," the Senator said. "I'd love to see more of this ship."

"Consider it done," I said. "Number One, ping me when we reach Jupiter if you would please."

"Yes, sir," Jim said. I got up and led our guests off the bridge and took them around the vessel, introducing them to the available section heads. Kyra, Leesa, and Alan had already seen all this, but the others enjoyed the tour immensely. I felt the ship drop out of light speed as my wrist communicator beeped, and I knew we were approaching Jupiter.

"Yes, Number One?" I asked.

"We are approaching Jupiter, Captain," Jim's voice said from my communication device.

"Thank you, Number One, I'll take our guests to the observation lounge," I told him before signing off. I escorted them all to the observation lounge so they could get a good look at the gas giant below. Gloria and Mom gasped when they saw the huge planet below, the Red Spot swirling.