Where No One Has Gone Before Pt. 05

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

We caught up with Don over a light lunch, then went through our tests. Kyra did well enough to earn her fifth-degree black belt, and I got certified as a Grav Tac master. We finished the day, then drove west to the small town of Hard Rock, where the old Jones adobe sat.

We stopped at an old store on the town's main street to get a map and a few things to munch on. I couldn't help but notice that some of the locals looked at me rather oddly.

"What's that all about?" I asked Kyra as we got back into the car.

"I don't know," she responded. We followed the signs and finally got to the tiny adobe house where my ancestors had lived so long ago. We walked around the property and finally went inside. I saw the large photo of my great-grandfather Elijah on the wall. He wore the uniform of a Union cavalry sergeant, and I was amazed at how much we looked alike.

"That is just too uncanny," I told Kyra, as chills went up and down my spine.

"Yes, it is," Kyra agreed. "It almost makes me want to run that genetic memory test on you to see what shows up." We looked around the tiny house's interior, amazed that so many people lived here in such close quarters without the benefit of electricity or hot and cold running water. How did they do it?

We took many pictures before leaving, but I felt... strange. I'm not a person who believes in the paranormal, but there was something about this place and the man in that uniform that I couldn't shake. We left the adobe and stopped for a steak dinner before leaving the town. Again, I noticed people looking at me strangely, and it irritated me enough to ask the waitress about it.

"Well, we don't get a lot of visitors out here," the young woman said. "Plus, you look an awful lot like... him," she added, looking at something on a far wall. We turned to look and saw a larger version of the picture at the adobe. So, that was it. "I mean, you could be twin brothers or something."

"What if I told you he was my great-grandfather?" I asked. The woman looked at me, then back at the picture, then nodded.

"I can believe it," she finally said. "So, are you two looking to settle down here?"

"No, we just stopped to see the old adobe. We're on our way west," I told her.

"You were at the adobe?" she asked, sounding as if she had left something unasked.

"Yes, we spent the day out there," Kyra said.

"Did you... see... anything odd out there?" the waitress asked.

"No, I didn't," I said. "Did you?" I asked my wife, sitting across the table from me, and she shook her head.

"Other than a picture of a man who's the spitting image of my husband, no," Kyra said. "Have you ever been out

there?" my wife asked the waitress.

"Yes, ma'am. A few times. Creeped me out. I always felt like someone was watching me," the young woman said.

"Well, that place has been there for over 250 years. I'm sure it has quite a history. That's perfectly normal," Kyra told her.

"Maybe," the girl said. "So, what can I get for you folks?" she asked, changing the subject.

"This is real meat, right?" I asked. The girl chuckled at that.

"This is west Texas, sir. That's all we served here. None of that fake New York stuff in this restaurant." Kyra and I both laughed.

"Outstanding," I told her. We placed our order and watched as she left. I turned to my wife.

"Do you really believe what you told her?" I asked.

"Actually, I do. It's funny what the mind can do sometimes. She went out there, no doubt expecting to experience something. And she did. It might have been nothing more than the wind blowing tumbleweeds around, but that's all it would have taken. After all, it is a very remote location with no electricity and it's been there for over 250 years. Don't tell me you felt something out there."

"Actually, I did. Although I'm certain it's just coming face-to-face with the image of an ancestor who looks like me and knowing he lived there with his family over 200 years ago."

"So, nothing supernatural?"

"Hardly," I said. "I deal with facts, not superstition. But I am curious to know why Dad never mentioned it to me before."

"That is a good question. Maybe he was trying to spare you the feelings you're having right now."

"That could be," I said. "Maybe I'll read that journal and see what my great-grandmother had to say."

"I think that would be a good idea," Kyra confirmed. Our food arrived, and we savored the meal without another mention of the adobe house or the people who lived there so long ago. As we left, I glanced at the large photo on the wall and felt another chill. I noticed - and felt - the curious stares of more than one patron as we walked out of the place.

We put the town of Hard Rock behind us and headed north. On the way, we made love in New Mexico and Arizona before hitting the state line. We had plenty of time - and quite a bit of our back pay, so we made a detour and went to the Grand Canyon, then on up to Yellowstone before coming back to Las Vegas. So far, we had christened 19 states by my count and were enjoying ourselves to the fullest.

We thoroughly enjoyed the two days we spent in Las Vegas. Sure, we did some gambling and won a little money - not much, but enough to pay for our drinks and the shows. Then we turned west toward the Bay area.

We arrived at Star Fleet Academy just a day after Leesa and George returned from Hawaii. Leesa looked well-rested, tanned, and happier than I had ever seen her. She hugged us, then stood back and looked at us.

"Where have you two been?" she asked.

"We've been all over the place," Kyra said, pulling out her camera to show off some photos she had taken of our trip. "How about you? Did you enjoy Hawaii?"

"You really have to ask? Who doesn't enjoy a Hawaii honeymoon?" Leesa asked, her face turning a bit red.

"I know that look," Kyra teased. "You obviously enjoyed yourself."

"Oh yes, we did," Leesa said with mischief. "George even tried surfing. That was a hoot!"

"So, where will I be working?" Kyra asked. Leesa escorted us to an office where Kyra would spend time putting together the counselor curriculum, then took us to the quarters she would use while here.

"So, when do I start?" Kyra asked Leesa.

"Well, I'd say the sooner the better. Go ahead and get your stuff situated, and I'll introduce you to the staff you'll be working with, okay? Bill, there's a shuttle leaving for Starbase One in three hours. I suggest you be on it. Admiral Simmons has already been asking when you intend to return."

"If I didn't know any better, I'd say you're trying to get rid of me," I joked. Leesa laughed.

"No, it's just that I've been through one or two of these refits, and I know how demanding they are. I'll leave you two alone to say your farewells now."

"Thanks, Leesa. And - it's good to see you again," I said. She smiled her acknowledgment and left. Kyra and I pulled her stuff from the rental and carried it to her temporary quarters. When we finished, I took her in my arms and kissed her deeply.

"Do you realize this will be the first time in ten years we've been apart?" I asked.

"I do," Kyra said sadly. "And I'm already missing you."

"I'm missing you too," I told my wife.

"Call me when you get to the ship. I promise I'll be up every weekend," Kyra said.

"I'm holding you to that, Commander," I said with a slight smile. "Well, I'd better get going. I still have to return the rental. And I don't want to keep the Admiral waiting. I love you."

"And I love you more, spaceman. Thank you for the last month. It was the best vacation I think I've ever had." We kissed again, and I felt the pain of her absence when we separated. I got to the spaceport, returned the vehicle and paid the bill, then climbed into the shuttle that would take me back to Starbase One.

"About damn time you got back to work, Captain," I heard Alan say when I stepped off the shuttle. We shook hands as he approached me.

"Good to be back, Admiral," I said.

"I hope you enjoyed your sightseeing tour of the country," Alan joked.

"Yes, we did. Very much." We climbed into a motorized cart that would take me and my luggage back to the ship.

"They finished the stress-test on the Enterprise," Alan said as we took off. "There were a few areas that needed to be addressed, but she's held up well given that she's been at light speed for the last ten years. Anyway, a lot of the interior work has been completed, and things are going according to plan. The old engines have been removed and they're preparing everything for the new ones."

We got to the bay where Enterprise sat, and I looked at the ship. Alan was right. It did look odd without the two faster-than-light engines, but I knew they would be replaced soon enough. I saw some work being done in the next bay and asked about it.

"They're laying the keel for a new ship - the USS William Shatner," Alan said.

"They're naming a ship after an actor?" I asked. Granted, it was the 20th-century actor whose role as "Captain Kirk" helped make Enterprise a household name for an entire generation. Still, it was something else, knowing that an interstellar vessel would be named after him.

"Well, not just any actor," Alan said.

"I guess you're right," I responded. We continued up the gangplank and entered the vessel. The place was a flurry of activity as crews worked to replace cabling and circuitry inside the walls. We dodged the workers as best we could and made it to the quarters Kyra and I would share - the quarters once occupied by Leesa and George. I put my things away and changed into my flight suit before heading out to my ready room.

When Alan and I arrived, we found more workers surrounding the stations. I saw Jim and motioned for him to join us in my ready room.

"You look good, Jim. I trust you had a good vacation," I said.

"Yes sir, it was terrific," he told me.

"So, where are we at with the refit?" I asked. Both Alan and I looked at Jim.

"We're on schedule, sir. The stress test is complete, and all issues have been addressed. New cable is being laid throughout the vessel in preparation for the new engines. The IT infrastructure is being upgraded as we speak and new communications gear is being calibrated for installation."

"Good," I said, looking over the thick refit manual. This thing had over 300 pages, and right now, we were at page... 18. There was still a lot of work to do.

"I know you have a lot on your plate right now, Captain, but I wanted to update you. We received a message from the Independence."

"That's Captain Hurbi's ship, isn't it?" I asked. When I first reported aboard the Enterprise, Ryan Hurbi had been my superior officer and had been promoted to Captain when we returned from Alpha Centauri.

"Yes, it is," Alan said. "He reported the same anomaly. In the same area of space the other reports originated from. After consulting with Command Staff, we designated that area of space as a no-fly zone until we get your final report. It put a crimp in his flight plan, but he's adapted."

"Interesting," I said.

"We thought so as well. The anomaly disappeared after he left that sector of space. And we detected a transmission aimed at Earth almost immediately after Independence left."

"Any idea who received the transmission?" I asked.

"No. None. It was a broadband transmission, and we were unable to determine its destination," Alan said.

"So it's looking more and more like there's an intelligence behind it," I mused.

"It would seem so, Bill," Alan said. "At any rate, we've got some specialized comm gear set aside. It will be installed as part of your refit."

"Understand, Admiral."

"Well, that's about it for now, Captain. I'll be in touch," Alan said.

"Thank you, sir," I responded.

"I'd better get back to it, Captain," Jim said.

"Alright, Jim," I said. "I'll see you in the morning, unless you need something." Jim nodded, then left to carry out his duties.

The next four months were extremely busy ones as the refit of Enterprise took place. Every system on the interstellar ship was replaced, including all its infrastructure. Every wire, knob, switch, and console was taken apart and replaced.

The work seemed to never end. It was a 24-hour-a-day, seven-day-a-week process that included extensive testing, calibration, and more testing. I learned to master the art of the power nap during that time, as it seemed my communicator never stopped pinging.

I could take a few minutes now and then to read my great-grandmother's journal. It was an exciting read that made me think of simpler times before the advent of the light bulb. I found Grandma's

writing surprisingly easy to follow, which surprised me, given how people expressed themselves in the 19th century.

Her love for my great-grandfather Elijah was also quite evident, and reading between the lines was somewhat erotic at times. I'm sure she never expected her musings to be published for the whole world to read. I doubt she would have been so open about her feelings for her husband if she had.

She described their trip back to Indianapolis from Hard Rock, Texas, without getting into detail. She wrote about the evenings they shared their love under the stars. It was easy from her writing to picture a young couple next to a covered wagon, making love in the light of a roaring campfire.

She often described her husband as a "man of justice" who put his family first and demonstrated his willingness to defend his clan more than once. She wrote about an incident in which a man from New York had tried to pressure Elijah's father to give up his tiny homestead. One day, the man shot Elijah's brother and kidnapped her, Grandma wrote.

"But my Elijah came through, like a knight in shining armor, his square jaw firmly set as if in stone," Grandma wrote. "He dispatched the three men who took me captive with the elan I have come to expect from him."

"I would have loved to see that," I said to no one in particular as I sat in my quarters. Unfortunately, the demands of my job didn't give me much time to read Grandma's journal. I was lucky to get through a whole page before something required my attention. By the time the refit was complete, I still had not gotten through a quarter of the book.

The worst part of this time was not having Kyra with me daily. True to her word, she called me every night to fill me in on her day's work. Leesa was thrilled with what she had put together, and Kyra expressed particular pride in the way the instructors accepted what she had done. She made it to Enterprise for the weekends, which made the whole ordeal bearable.

I was in my ready room one day about a month before launch day when Jim tapped on the open hatch. I set the mission briefing down and called him inside.

"Yes, Number One, what is it?" I asked.

"Our new Operations Officer has reported aboard, sir," Jim said. "She wishes to see you if you have a minute or two."

"Of course, Number One," I said. "Who is she?"

"Lt. Commander Elizabeth... Travers, sir," Jim said, handing me her service record. Shocked, I looked up at him and took the folder.

"I... see. Please send her in, Number One," I said. Jim stepped aside and motioned to someone next to him. A reasonably petite brunette entered the ready room and stood at attention in front of me, her eyes staring straight ahead.

"Lt. Commander Elizabeth Travers, reporting as ordered, sir," she barked.

"At ease, Commander," I said. She put her hands behind her back and relaxed somewhat, but I could tell she was still on edge. I opened her service record and glanced through it. She got high marks from the Academy, graduated third in her class at Advanced Operations School, and served on the Independence under Captain Hurbi.

"You seem to have an exemplary record, Commander," I said. "And I'm pleased to see you have some interstellar experience as well. Captain Hurbi speaks highly of you."

"Thank you, sir," she said.

"I wasn't aware that Jason Travers had a child, Commander," I told her. Elizabeth's eyes flashed, and she looked down before speaking.

"Commander Travers was my uncle, sir," she said.

"I see. Are we going to have a problem here, Commander?" I asked. The last thing I wanted was a relative seeking revenge.

"No, sir. None," she replied. Her face softened, and I could tell she had something important on her mind. "Permission to speak freely, sir." I detected an edge in her statement and drew her out a bit.

"Please," I said. "Why don't you have a seat first? Would you care for something to drink? Coffee? Tea?"

"Coffee would be perfect, sir, please. Black, if that's alright," the young woman replied. I poured a cup from the dispenser and handed it to her. She took a sip before speaking.

"What's on your mind, Commander?" I asked.

"I was 15 when my uncle left to join the Armstrong, sir," she said. "We didn't exactly part on the best of terms. When I heard what happened, I was furious. At him, for what he did, and at you. But after I learned the whole truth of what happened, I was... glad that it happened. I was glad that he was dead."

"That's not exactly a healthy emotion to have for a job like this, Commander," I stated.

"I know, sir. I spent years in therapy. I joined the Corps hoping to follow in my father's footsteps and... I always wanted the opportunity to serve with the man who jettisoned Bull Travers into open space," she explained. "I wanted to... thank him... thank you... for what you did. When this opening came up, I grabbed it as fast as I could."

I let her words sink in before responding. This was a troubled young woman, but her service record indicated that she was more than up to the task. And I knew that if there was a problem, the psychological profiling at the Operations School would've spotted it. There was something more to this story, but I decided to let Kyra sort it out. I nodded my head in response to her words.

"That was a long time ago, Commander," I said. "And there's no need to thank me. What I did was self-defense."

"I know, sir," Elizabeth said. "But I still feel that I owe you a debt of gratitude."

"I appreciate that, Commander," I said, hoping to put her at ease. "And you can show that gratitude by continuing to do the kind of job you did for Captain Hurbi." I looked at Jim before continuing. "Is her companion on board yet, Number One?"

"Not yet, sir," Jim said. "She's not due on board for a few days yet."

"Very well," I responded. "After things settle down a bit, I'd like to invite you and your companion to dinner with my wife and myself. I'd like to get to know you a bit better, as an officer and a person."

"Thank you, sir," Elizabeth said with a smile. "I know she would like to meet you and your wife as well."

"Good. Then it's settled. Anything else?"

"No, sir, that's all. Just... Thank you for giving me an opportunity."

"You're welcome, Commander. It's a pleasure meeting you. Welcome aboard," I said, standing up to signal the end of the meeting. We shook hands, and I turned to Jim. "Would you please escort Commander Travers to her quarters, Number One?"

"Of course, sir," Jim said. After they left the ready room, I sat down and looked through her service record. It was pretty impressive, but then again, so was her uncle's. I was curious to know what her story was. I felt I knew what it was, but it left a knot in my stomach. I discussed my suspicions with Kyra that night.

"You might be right, sweetheart," she said after I shared my thoughts with her. "That's a very sensitive subject, for certain. I'll have a talk with her, see what I can come up with, but you need to realize that whatever we discuss is confidential."

"That's fine with me. I invited her and her companion to join us for dinner sometime soon."

"Good. That will help break the ice. I just hope having her on board doesn't trigger your nightmares."