All Comments on 'Where the Buffalo Roam'

by SouthernCrossfire

Sort by:
  • 38 Comments
jetpacksamjetpacksamalmost 3 years ago

"He stuck his finger in the end of your what?"

Wonderful story. Chapter 2 possibly?

Thnk you.

corrytonmancorrytonmanalmost 3 years ago
Excellent story!

Thoroughly enjoyed this and I sincerely hope it wins the contest! I look forward to reading more of your work.

AnotherChapterAnotherChapteralmost 3 years ago

A fun Read! Fred and Barney would love it. Yabba-dabba-do! Kept my smiling through the whole thing. thank you!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

Great story. Creative concept and well written and edited. Hope there is a sequel

HarddaysknightHarddaysknightalmost 3 years ago

I enjoyed this romance. Nice job. Thanks for posting.

AnnaValley11AnnaValley11almost 3 years ago

Wonderfully written - great characters, excellent dialogue and almost believable. You have my vote for sure

DCCoffeemanDCCoffeemanalmost 3 years ago

Fun story with a nice ending. Thanks!

allansbulletallansbulletalmost 3 years ago

"The Suitably Shorn and Depilated Sisterhood of Beautiful Bisonettes" had me howling with laughter! Could hardly read further for the tears in my eyes! Great story - keep it up! 5 stars all the way!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

Very fun and romantic story.

Vegasrails2Vegasrails2almost 3 years ago

Now that was a fun read, thanks for sharing

mcollectmcollectalmost 3 years ago

Thank you for the wonderful story. Now to find and read the rest of your works. Yes it was that good!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

Loved it

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

Very nice story. One little nit. Her saying she was in love with him just didn’t ring true. They had minimal interaction leading up to the planning and she did most of that by herself. As a result, it didn’t quite read like a romance. Hope you do well in the contest.

SouthernCrossfireSouthernCrossfirealmost 3 years agoAuthor

Author's Response: Thanks, everyone, for the comments, favorites, follows, and votes! I'm glad so many are enjoying the story. For those who asked for a continuation, I won't be doing a chapter 2, but I do have a sequel in mind where Alan's best friend from the big city is invited to small town Bettleys Corners to be the best man in Alan and Nessa's wedding.

Regarding Nessa saying she loved Alan, even Alan questions whether it was true or if it was a late night "sweet nothing," and he never says it to her, knowing he likes her but not sure how much. True, they hadn't spent that much time together early on but she's attracted to him even though she can't act on it due to the divorce since she keeps coming to see him about things (and they talk so much he closes the store at 6:40 in one case) and even has him be her sponsor. Then, "Nessa and I met fairly often as the months passed, and we actually started getting to know each other, though she shied away from discussions of the most personal issues...." In other words, she refused to get too close due to the issues noted in the story, but it was a slow progression from soon after the start with interest on his part and hidden desire on hers (due in part to the divorce issues and the first person narrative). Love, maybe, maybe not, but with interest on both sides, the slow progression, and the desire on both their parts to continue to see where it goes, readers will have to determine whether that feels enough like romance to them. Hope that clarifies it at least a little.

Thanks again,

SC

barcomberbarcomberalmost 3 years ago

Forgot to comment on the "Depilated Sisterhood " gag. That was too good to be just a throwaway, lots of scope for development.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

Another well-written story from you. I enjoyed it tremendously and I hope to find more stories by you later.

MountainMan1336MountainMan1336almost 3 years ago

Great story, I gave it 5 stars. My only problem is, now I have to look up that Duct Tape/WD40 joke online.....LOL

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

"Home on the Range" is also the state song of Kansas.

teedeedubteedeedubalmost 3 years ago

Great story. Easy read. Fun. Thanks for sharing.

HOG57headHOG57headalmost 3 years ago

Good story. Thanks for writing it!

zonozzonozalmost 3 years ago

Great story. Enjoyed your usage of little trivia facts but you fell into the same trap many writers find themselves in; Kansas is not flat. Certainly there are portions, relatively small areas, that are indeed flat; but the majority of the state is covered in rolling hills of varying sizes and the western 2/3rds of the state doesn't have much in the way if trees so you can you have virtually unobstructed views for miles and miles which can give those not paying attention, the appearance of flatness. Florida is the flattest state. Kansas ranks 7th.

Here's your top 10 flattest states ranked in order from the flattest to the least flat.

Florida

Illinois

North Dakota

Louisiana

Minnesota

Delaware

Kansas

Texas

Nevada

Indiana

And here's a link to show you some of Kansas' differing elevations.

https://www.onlyinyourstate.com/kansas/ks-10-places-not-flat/

SouthernCrossfireSouthernCrossfirealmost 3 years agoAuthor

Thanks for all the new comments! They are greatly appreciated.

Regarding zonoz's info, Kansas is never specifically mentioned in the story, but with the title coming from the state song (which I deliberately didn't mention but which was noted by another commenter) and some triangulation of the points given (and a few deleted for brevity; can you believe it?), one can be reasonably sure Ashantie County (also never mentioned, but sharing its name with the creek) with Bettleys Corners and Creek City is somewhere in NW Kansas (or maybe SW Nebraska, or just over the line in Colorado). Similar to how a famous author once placed a fictional location, I figure it's somewhere a little east of Oberlin, a little north of Bird City, a little west of St. Francis, and a good distance south of Colby but well north of I-70. Since I've never been to Kansas, I did several Google maps street views in that area and everything looked flat and mostly treeless, but as zonoz said, everything looks flatter over long distances!

Ravey19Ravey19almost 3 years ago

Fun, entertaining and a great read. Perhaps there could have been a little more tension between them until the day of the nude festival when he pitched in helping out but that's minor. Surprised that in such a small community he didn't know where she lived and the address must have been on the application form but perhaps that was just an opening conversation piece to get to the door being unlocked, etc.

Another great story. Looking forward to your next one.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

Well developed and written. Enjoyable. Thank you.

SmuttyandfunSmuttyandfunalmost 3 years ago

Terrific Story! Love how you make the reader feel like they're there in the small town, getting to know all the characters. I read this a while back and enjoyed it, but for some reason my comment didn't show up. So... Five stars all the way! Great work!

jlg07jlg07almost 3 years ago

The characterizations were just awesome. Great job. Wouldn't mind a part 2. 5*

invisible_bridgesinvisible_bridgesover 2 years ago

Frothy fun. You're good at homing in at a precise tone and sticking to it. Also good at inhabiting your stories with vivid supporting characters.

.

I think you might have done more with the mystery aspect of Nessa. When Alan would ask her out, he (and we) should have gotten more of a sense of inner conflict within Nessa. The mystery of the sources of that conflict might have added some dramatic bite to the proceedings. As it stands, she seems to be sending out signals of indifference to Alan's tentative attempts at courtship. Wouldn't she be afraid of destroying his feelings for her through her repeated rejections? Shouldn't we see that fear?

.

Anyway, it's a pleasure to visit your worlds. They are worlds wherein people matter, and the actions these people take or fail to take have meaning.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

How do you get change from 3 bills for an order of $21.97?

Great story.

clearcreekclearcreekover 2 years ago

change from a 20 and 2 singles leaves 3 cents

Very fun story

a_reader_from_germanya_reader_from_germanyalmost 2 years ago

SC again presented us what I'd like to call a feel-good-story. As others have mentioned, it's easy to pick up the mood and the groove of it, the personal is likable and I get the feeling they might be real. But well, all of this and more good things have been mentioned in earlier comments.

I wonder how a fundraiser like the one Vanessa organized would go down...

I do appreciate the references. Having lived in eastern Germany, we, like most of our compatriots, weren't able to travel westwards, so to speak. But we weren't as isolated as it may seem. The tv was not the only source of information, but as far as the mentioned references go, the western german tv was the carrier of many U.S. tv shows and movies. So as a child I too watched "Fred Feuerstein" ("The Flintstones"). As a teenager, "Detektiv Rockford" was one of my favourite tv- shows. Everything was dubbed. This was customary in both parts of Germany by the way. On a side note, out of curiosity I watched some snippets of movies and series in the original version later. With a little patience it's easy to come to the conclusion that you can't beat the original. Many phrases or funny stuff is difficult to adequately translate and shape in a way that allows in-sync dubbing. A notebable exception is everything with James Garner in it. The German actor lending him his voice did such a good job, I'll never get used to watch the "Rockford files" in any other shape, way or form.

I also watched most of Garner's movies repeatedly, at least those produced before 1990, plus the "Rockford" tv- movies.

dirtyoldbimandirtyoldbimanover 1 year ago

LOL great story oh Grand Poo bah.

Aussie1951Aussie1951over 1 year ago

Great story but bloody hell it finished far too abruptly for my liking unless your planning a part 2 to this story. ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

PatrickThomasPatrickThomasabout 1 year ago

Loved the story. Thought the Aussie’s comment has some validity.

AnonymousAnonymous8 months ago

It perfectly conforms to the Romance suggestions, so t has to receive a 5.Don't miss it.

AnonymousAnonymous6 months ago

5+! (Would have doubled the profit margin by having a few “Suckin’ & Fuckin’” booths!🤪

AnonymousAnonymous5 months ago

Great story but I don’t think he would have still been interested after being told rudely so many times to leave her alone! I’ve heard that no means no. Why was it so hard to say I’m going through a divorce right now? LM

kaotic2kaotic23 months ago

I loved this. Thank you.

AnonymousAnonymous3 months ago

Dolores was a fat skanky bitch. Desperate and dumb Allen.

Nessa was a fuck up

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userSouthernCrossfire@SouthernCrossfire
4/4/24 Update: "Crossed Paths," a story of old friends reuniting, was recently published for the Wicked Games challenge, in which everything isn't as it seems. Hope you'll read and enjoy! If you're looking for something older, you might try "The Valentine's Dance," a late 1...