Who Watches The Watchers Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Catrina: "State Republicans have called the 'Disinformation Governance Board' a suggestion by Democrats to be used by Democrats to suppress Free Speech. They say that Democrats consider any Conservative ideas or opinions to be (air quotes) 'disinformation', and that saying the truth that Climate Change is a fraud would be suppressed by that board."

Meredith: "And well it should be. Anyone opposing Climate Change should be suppressed. The First Amendment should not apply to that kind of hate speech."

Catrina: "Take it up with the Iron Crowbar, Meredith. Let's go to break..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Boom." I said as my Angels and I sipped coffee and watched in my office.

"Looks like Catrina got Meredith back." said Tanya, with a wicked gleam in her eyes.

"Cat got your tongue, Chief Deputy?" Teresa said wickedly to Cindy. A green crowbar was waved in her very specific direction.

"Mind your manners with me." Cindy replied. "I still outrank you. But to your point, I'm not going to hash it out in here. Nothing I say will ever change the Iron Crowbar's mind, and nothing he says will change mine on it. Besides... the science is settled."

"It's settled, all right." I replied. "It's settled that it's a fraud, and being pushed by Democrats as a means of implementing their creed of 'From each, according to his ability; to each according to his need.'. But enough on that. Teresa... what are Todd's lobbyists telling him about Legislative activity on county consolidation and un-merging the Town & County?"

"Uhh, I don't know." Teresa said. "If they've said anything to Todd, he hasn't told me."

"Why did you suddenly think of that?" Tanya asked.

"It's been gnawing at me since the Bettina Broadcast this morning." I replied. "If the budget committees aren't even meeting, then their members are working on something else. And the Sheriff was right: Katherine Woodburn has clout, but not enough to carry SBI Reform and/or that 'Disinformation Governance Board' by herself."

YIC: "Ergo, they're doing something behind the curtains down there, and the only issue I can think of that's a potential hot button is the re-districting/re-organization issue."

"We haven't heard a word about that." Tanya said agreeably. "We've been thinking it's because the Budget is consuming everything. But that could be a smokescreen, too."

"How does Governor Marshall feel about that issue?" Cindy asked. "Would she veto the legislation? And I doubt they can put it in the Budget bill."

"No, they can't." I said. "And I have no idea what the Governor thinks about it...except that it will make her campaign coffers a lot richer."

*KNOCK!* *KNOCK!* *KNOCK!* *KNOCK!*

The door opened to reveal Chief Sean Moynahan. He said "Mis-ter Crowbarrrr, Mizzz Iron Wolf, you're with me. Get your Duty Dress jackets. If you wouldn't mind driving, Mister Crowbarrr..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

11:00am, Wednesday, March 3d. A stage with a podium holding a bank of microphones had been set up in the State Capitol Rotunda, where it normally was for big announcements. The Press had gathered in front of it, wondering like everyone else what was going on; Sheriff Griswold would be jealous of Governor Marshall's ability to prevent leaks.

Teresa and I were invited to watch from the right side (as the Press looked at it), near the stage. With us was SBI Inspector Britt Maxwell and SBI Lt. Norm Chow. And, to my surprise, FBI Assistant Special Agent In Charge Karina White was with us.

"They come down on you like a ton of bricks yet?" I asked Karina.

"Officially, no." Karina said. "Julius Jefferson won't be touched; he doesn't play the race card, but they're afraid he will so they're not touching him. Tim Jenkins received an informal reprimand, and he's young enough that that won't hurt his career."

"But unofficially?" Karina continued. "I'm weighing my options. One of them is retirement and go do something else. Another is to weather the OPR and see what they're going to do------"

Just then Police Chiefs Sean Moynahan, Molly Evans, and Frank Soltis came onto the stage. An instant later Governor Sharon Marshall appeared, walking side-by-side with Wes 'Coldiron' Masters.

"Thank you for coming." Governor Marshall said as she stepped up to the microphones. "I am here to announce my selection for Director of the State Bureau of Investigation... Wes Masters!"

Most of us not in the Press pool applauded. Governor Marshall said "Wes Masters has been a man of high integrity from his days as an Army Officer to his service with the Midtown Police Force, the Town & County Police Force, and with the Internal Affairs Division of the City Police."

Governor Marshall: "Captain Masters was working to expose corruption at the highest levels of the City Police as well as rogue elements of the US DEA, when they attempted to indict him for the crimes they committed... allegedly committed, I guess I should say. Working with the SBI, Captain Masters overcame the corruption. This was plenty enough to show me that Wes Masters is the man I need to lead the SBI into a new era of integrity and trust."

More polite applause, but I could see that the rabid animals of the Press were getting restless, eager to attack the Governor and her choice for SBI Director.

Governor Marshall: "As SBI Director, Wes Masters will keep the SBI on the path of a law enforcement entity that will support local jurisdictions and help clean up corruption. He also will not be tolerating threats to Free Speech, such as the terrifying notion of an unConstitutional 'Disinformation Governance Board' that would suppress Free Speech and persecute good Citizens that dare to speak views that are not in jackbooted lockstep with the Radical Left."

I began clapping loudly at that, and was joined by a few others. The Press was becoming visibly angry.

Governor Marshall introduced Wes Masters, who came up to the podium and said "Thank you, Governor, and thank you for your trust in naming me to the SBI Director post. I am grateful to my former colleagues of the Midtown Police who are here with me now, especially Chief Moynahan, who taught me a whole lot and kept me to a higher standard."

Masters: I appreciate Commander Don Troy being here. He pushed me to achieve the highest possible standards for myself and the Police Officers under me. I'm looking forward to working with him as SBI Reserve Inspector, and looking forward even more to working with SBI Inspector Britt Maxwell. This State is extremely lucky to have a watchdog of her caliber, her integrity and her ability."

When he was finished, Governor Marshall said "Would you like to take some questions from the Press?"

"Why not?" said SBI Director Masters. I could give him a host of reasons why not, I thought to myself. But it wasn't my Press Conference.

"Tim Sioban, KSB News." said Sioban as the first to be called upon. "As Director of the SBI, will you help Governor Marshall implement her racist policies of persecuting hardworking Undocumented Workers by turning them over to ICE for deportation?"

Masters: "The SBI will continue to enforce the law and fulfill our mandate. Next question."

Sioban said "To follow up, you're saying------"

"I'm not accepting follow-ups." Masters said in his fast way of talking. "Next question from another reporter." He called on Amber Harris.

"Amber Harris, KXTC Channel Two News." said Amber Harris. "Director Masters, you just praised Donald Troy for setting a high standard when he had to be pardoned by racist Governor Val Jared for raping a woman in his custody. Do you really want to associate yourself with Donald Troy?"

Masters didn't miss a beat: "I can say that I certainly know how Commander Troy felt when he was falsely accused by the U.S. Government, and even set up to be framed with forged documents. And lied about by dishonest KXTC reporters, too." Teresa and I fist-bumped.

Amber: "What if there was solid proof that Troy committed the crimes for which had to be pardoned?"

Masters said "I'd say it's a moot point, Amber. Why are you even bothering to bring it back up, much less harp on it? And Commander Troy has done far more good for our Citizens of all races than you ever have."

And that was the beginning of the end of any remaining civility in the Press Conference, which was ended by Governor Marshall's aides very soon after...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

There was a luncheon for Director Masters in the Governor's Office in the State Capitol, and Teresa and I were invited to it, as were Chiefs Moynahan, Evans, and Soltis, Britt Maxwell and Norm Chow.

Governor Marshall made a point to compliment and thank Teresa and me for the life flight that saved Kevin Pitts. And then she made a point to have Teresa sit beside her at the lunch table and talk to her and get to know her. I was happy to see that... if something happened to me before Carole came of age, it would be up to Teresa to carry the legacy of the Iron Crowbar. And she would need allies like Sharon Marshall.

"And just what the hell is up with Amber Harris?" said Frank Soltis as we were eating. "You were right, Coldiron, that stuff with Don Troy is done, overwith, moot. Why bring it up?"

"Personal hatred." replied Britt Maxwell. "Just sheer hatred, and trying to goad Don into doing something rash."

"I think it's a lot more than that." Molly Evans said. "Saying she has proof Don committed crimes, even though he's pardoned and has the Federal Immunity Agreement? It's almost like she's... blackmailing you, Don."

I said "She's just trying to start up stuff. And I appreciate your words of support in your answer to her, Coldiron. But let's change the subject... Governor, what's going on with the Legislature and the Budget?"

"Oh, is the Legislature in session?" Sharon Marshall quipped, making us all laugh at least politely. Then Marshall said "First of all, I invited Corey Coons to the Press Conference and to this luncheon, and he declined."

"You should've invited Katherine Woodburn, Governor." Teresa said, with her quirky humor that probably only I truly understood. "I can't wait to hear her reaction to naming Coldiron SBI Director."

"It's going to complicate thinnnngs." drawled Chief Moynahan.

"Maybe not." said Sharon Marshall. "Katherine has her plan, and she's going to do what she's going to do, no matter who I'd made SBI Director. All I've done is taking a whining point away from her. But to answer your question, Don, the Legislature is truly and badly deadlocked."

Governor Marshall: "There are two political Parties, and to hear the Media tell it, everything is divided along Party lines. But that's not quite true. There are huge divisions within the Parties. The Press is calling one group the 'Black Caucus', but it's not every Black in the Legislature. Only a few radicals like Tasheeka Harris are calling for defunding the Police. And the Radicals are not all black: Nina Cortez is Hispanic, and she's as rabid at Tasheeka."

Governor Marshall: "And on the right side of the aisle, the split between the Conservatives and the Establishment Moderates is growing wider and more strident. Wilson Hammonds truly would rather destroy the Republican Party than work with the Conservatives. They call him 'Mitt Romney Hammonds' behind his back."

Governor Marshall: "I've been able to talk to most of the Democrats, even if we don't end up agreeing. But Hammonds is the most obstinate son of a bitch I've ever met. If he remains influential, then there will be no Budget, and we are screwed."

"I'm more optimistic." said Chief Moynahan. "I believe that the disaster of a State Government shutdown will be sooo severe that the Legislators will act with 'motivated self-interest', and they will pass something. Maybe the Cerone and Molinari plan, but they knowwww they must pass something."

Wes Masters said "Having worked in The City and having seen the riots last year... I don't think the far-Left, radical Blacks have that motivation. They would just as soon see the Government shut down as not."

"Do they have enough backing to stop a Budget, though?" asked Frank Soltis.

"If they have the backing of the Media... yes." I replied. "And that's what I think it comes down to. If the biased, dishonest, and corrupt Mainstream Media can successfully blame the Republicans for any shutdown, then there will be no Budget. But if the Media sees that the People are not blaming the Republicans, but are blaming Democrats or both Parties equally... they'll tell their Democrat allies to retreat, and the Molinari-Cerone Plan will come to pass, pun not intended."

Sharon Marshall looked thoughtful at that as we turned to other subjects and finished our lunch...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

It was nearly 4:00pm when Teresa and I got back home. Chief Moynahan was staying in Midtown to a party for Masters, where he'd be able to talk with current and former Midtown PD people he had not seen in a while.

When we got to Headquarters, I found Carole Troy and Marie Steele in my office, doing their homework. Edward Steele had been talking to Sheriff Griswold in the Chief's Conference Room, and they invited me to come in.

After I got some coffee, Edward said "I picked up Marie and Carole today for Stephanie, and it gives me a chance to tell you what happened at the Council Meeting last Tuesday."

"Sure." I said. "What happened?"

Edward: "The request by Cindy Ross to pave a road and lay water and gas to her property and others nearby was routine. They'll have septic tanks, so sewer is not an issue. The so-called study approved it just as routinely. And so did the Council... 9-0 with Kelly Carnes voting 'Present'.

"So Silas voted for it." I said, immediately seeing the issue.

"And without a whimper of protest." said Edward. "Not even a word spoken about it. And what really bothers me, is that when he voted for it, I looked over at him... as did just about everyone else. And he had this look on his face, like he was getting one over on us. It just gave me a weird feeling."

I nodded, then said "What was the attendance like?"

Edward said "That's the other thing. There were a few green-shirted Environmentalist Wackos there. They didn't cause any trouble, but just as soon as the vote on Cindy's submission was made, they got up and walked out."

"Hmmm...." I said halfway to myself. "That is... a 'strangeness'... especially Carnes not voting outright against it..."

Part 20 - Cleanup on Aisle 5

11:00am, Saturday, March 6th. Chief Moynahan called me into Headquarters for a meeting... with the Feds. He told me to pick up Teresa on the way, and I did.

As we drove through Town in my Police SUV, Teresa said "Todd leased a plane while his is under NTSB scrutiny, and Aunt Clarissa is on it on her way to Lake Charles right now. She had refused to tell me anything until our case was over, but she told me all about it last night... and I saw why."

Teresa proceeded to tell me what Clarissa told her she'd learned about Teresa's birth and her mother Sarah's death. When she finished, I said "How do you feel about that?"

"You must be married to a psychologist, asking questions like that." Teresa quipped. I chuckled, then she said "To answer your question, I don't know. I've always known I was lucky to go to full term and be born. It was (air quotes) 'the Lord's will', Father Romano told me, and everything that happened was our karma."

Teresa: "In the past few years, since my father died in such a pitiful state at Shady Acres, I've wondered at times what took him to that state. He died old, though he was not that old. And what happened the night my mother died.... I can see how that added to his personal hell."

Teresa: "And then... I remember what he said to me on the night Alexis died, and I clear my mind of it all. I can't reconcile it. So I just don't know if knowing all that helps me, but I do think it helped Aunt Clarissa, a lot."

As we parked and walked to the side door to go inside Headquarters, Teresa said "One other thing Aunt Clarissa and your mom observed that surprised them but not me: the residents of that town give you the credit for liberating them as they do me. You, the Iron Crowbar, are as revered in my childhood hometown as you are in Apple Grove... and here."

"Sure you don't want the red crowbar, to continue the legacy?" I asked as we walked down the hall towards my office.

"I'm sure." Teresa said. "And why do you keep talking about giving it to me? Things getting to you?"

"Now who's the psychologist?" I quipped. Then I said "I think you're about to get your answer..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Chief Moynahan was in the Main Conference Room with Deputy Chief Tanya Muscone, her husband, FBI Special Agent In Charge Jack Muscone, FBI Assistant Special Agent In Charge Karina White, and DEA Supervisory Special Agent Dwight Stevens. At the Chief's bidding, we went inside and sat down.

"Others are coming in, and we're having a catered lunch." said the Chief. "But we have a few things to tell you before they get here. Dwight?"

"Thanks, Chief." said Stevens. "First, I have to apologize to you, especially you, Commander Troy. I badly underestimated how corrupt the Swamp Frogs are, and how deeply they've infested all the Federal agencies. I should've given your warnings much more credence."

"Welcome back to the right side." I said. "I take it that Tommy Ridley was their marked card sabotaging you?"

"Not much gets past you." said Dwight Stevens. "Yes, we're we're beginning to find out just how much of a role Tommy Ridley played in all this. When I started our investigation, he was brought up from St. Louis and I was told he wasn't known to the City Police. What I didn't know, but we've uncovered in the past few days, is that Ridley might have had a lot to do with those L-sugar-laced drugs in St. Louis disappearing and being sold off." (Author's note: 'Sugar And Spice', Ch. 01 and particularly Ch. 03.)

Stevens: "In this undercover case, which we named Operation COLDIRON but could not tell you that, Ridley was giving everything to the Swamp Frogs. They knew what we were doing, what we were finding out, and that the SBI had their own investigation going. Thank God Ridley never figured out Matty Graves, though Lieutenant Walker got close."

"Did Ridley give Walker the info on Graves, that he existed and was embedded?" I asked.

Stevens: "I don't know, and they're both dead so we can't be sure. Ridley also was very likely the one who helped the Swamp Frogs get a device on Pitts's car and advised them on where to waylay Pitts so that he could be captured. And ditto that for Walker when the Swamp Frogs decided to cut bait and start eliminating the loose ends."

"Don't hold your breaths waiting for me to utter one word of sympathy for Ridley." I said. "Teresa, let's put Cindy in for a medal for cleaning up that trash."

"Thank you, Dwight." said Jack Muscone. "Why don't you go ahead and get ready for lunch."

Dwight got up to go. I also got up, and went around and extended my hand, and he shook it. I 'looked' at Teresa, and she also came over and shook Stevens's hand, though a bit more reluctantly. He exited and we sat back down.

"That was nice of you." said Jack Muscone.

"He's one of the good guys." I replied. "And you're going to need him in the future."

"Sooo, Mis-ter Crowbarrrr," drawled the Chief. "Care to guess what we're telling you next?"

I allowed my head and then my eyes to 'wander' over to Karina White, then stare at her. I said "So what happened with the Martin Nash OPR?"

"Nope, nothing gets past him." Karina said to Jack.

Jack Muscone said "It turns out that Martin Nash bypassed Nate Grimes, and was conducting the OPR on behalf of the brass in Washington, specifically the Department of Homeland Security and the National Security Agency. And Robin Isley was out for blood; she was very bitter that they allowed you to walk out of there."