Who Watches The Watchers Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Karina White said "But Nash offered me a deal. He said I could put in my retirement papers, get my full pension, and go do something else, and he wouldn't stop it. I went him one further and said I would retire, but only if Jenkins and Jefferson were cleared of any wrongdoing, and allowed to stay where they are now. And if he didn't accept, I'd fight him to the last ditch, and I would make damn sure it would go very public and be very messy."

Karina: "He agreed, so the OPRs were closed, Jenkins's reprimand rescinded and pulled, and my retirement papers were accepted. Jenkins is staying in Southport, working on Organized Crime like he loves doing. And Julius is still on Jack's team."

"What's left of it." I muttered.

"Yeah." said Muscone. "It really sucks. And Karina was just starting to put together a good team. I hope they'll stay with me and Julius."

"So, Karina," I said, "where in the SBI will you be working?"

"Goddammit, I know better than to bet against him!" Jack muttered as he turned and handed Karina a $100 bill.

Karina said "That's something I wanted to ask your opinion about, Don, but privately. Well, Teresa can stay, of course."

"We'll go get ready for lunch, then." said Chief Moynahan. He, Jack, and Tanya exited the room.

Karina said "I've been offered one of two positions. First is Assistant Director of the SBI working directly for Wes Masters. Like the SBI Director position, it's political; appointed by the Governor, and I can be kicked to the kerb if the Administration changes hands."

Karina: "The second position is a Lieutenant in the SBI-OER's first region. Britt is going to have people in each of the State's six regions, doing the OER mission in that region for her."

The State has six regions upon which State functions are devolved. Each region has a State Attorney, a State Crime Lab, and other State functions and oversight of State functions at the county level.

Karina: "I'll be the SBI-OER Lieutenant for the northwest region that includes the Town & County and the University. Norm Chow will have the northeast region. And other regions will be filled during this year."

I nodded. "And you want my advice on which position to take?"

Karina said "And if you want me in your region or not."

"I definitely want you in my region." I said. "As to which position to take, that's depends on what you want to do. The Assistant Director position? That's like a military XO, you'll be running the shop while the Director deals with the Governor and the outside influences. It's prestigious, though, and you'll have tremendous State-wide influence."

I continued: "But that regional position is more like being in the field, doing Police work, investigating things. And that might be where you're happiest."

Karina nodded and said "I was remembering being told that you refused the Police Chief job, because you wanted to keep being a Detective as long as you could. And good people everywhere are grateful for that. But you'd have done just as well in the Chief's chair."

"Well," I said, "it may only be one region, but at least you'd be holding the reins in that region. But in the end, it's just up to you, and what you want to do."

As we got up to join the others for lunch, I thought that Karina had just found a good home for herself on Jack Muscone's FBI team, and she was certainly one of the 'good guys', and a woman and Agent of honor and integrity. And the God damned Swamp Frogs had forced her out. Yes, it was good for the SBI to be getting someone of her abilities and personal qualities, but I felt shaken as I realized that as far as the Federal Agencies were concerned...

... the Swamp Frogs were winning.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Karina led us to Classroom 'E', where a catered lunch had been brought, paid for by The Office of The Governor of The State. In the room were a whole lot of people:

Sheriff Griswold and Chief Deputy Cindy Ross from the TCSD, Chief Moynahan, and Deputy Chief Tanya Muscone, and now me and Teresa of the TCPD, represented Town & County Law Enforcement. Midtown PD Chief Frank Soltis was there, and Detective Nell Bell was present, acting as Chief Soltis's bodyguard as Teresa served as mine. Molly Evans was in civilian clothes, though dressed very nicely.

EAD Owen Lange, Special Agent In Charge Jack Muscone, Assistant Special Agent in Charge Karina White, Supervisory Special Agent Melina Allgood, and Special Agents Julius Jefferson and Tim Jenkins represented the FBI. Supervisory Special Agent Dwight Stevens and Special Agent Kevin Pitts represented the DEA.

SBI Director Wes 'Coldiron' Masters, SBI Inspector Britt Maxwell, and SBI Lieutenant Norm Chow were also here, all in civilian clothes. Wes Masters looked like he'd not worn civilian clothes in quite a while; he would be purchasing some new suits and having them tailored sooooon.

And Governor Sharon Marshall was present, sans entourage. She had had a meeting on the University Campus this morning, and had left her entourage there and snuck over to our humble Headquarters.

As we came in, Kevin Pitts met us at the door. "Everyone, Inspector Troy and Lieutenant Croyle of the SBI were the pilots of the Life Flight helicopter that brought me to University Hospital, saving my life. And Commander Troy and Commander Croyle, along with Commander Muscone of the TCPD, arranged for my protection while the doctors fixed me up. I just want to say thank you to both of you in front of everybody."

Everyone began applauding us as Pitts man-hugged me and full-on hugged Teresa. I absorbed the ovation as stoically as I could. Teresa's face did not change; nothing new there.

"I want to thank all of you for coming in on a Saturday." said Governor Marshall. "I would do this more publicly, but you deserve the accolades you are receiving now without Press hostility. So let's get started."

Governor Marshall: "First, DEA Agent Kevin Pitts is awarded the Governor's Gold Medal for his role in uncovering City Police corruption, for warning the SBI, and for enduring physical torture at the hands of dirty Federal Agents. Agent Stevens, will you do the honors?" Stevens pinned the blue-ribboned medal on Pitts's suit jacket and everyone applauded.

Governor Marshall: "For acting in a very timely manner to stop a dirty Federal Agent from murdering an SBI Agent, Chief Deputy Sheriff Cindy Ross is awarded the Governor's Gold Medal." Sheriff Griswold's mustaches twitched merrily as he pinned the medal on Cindy's uniform shirt.

Governor Marshall: "And for acting in a similar manner to stop a dirty Federal Agent from murdering another Federal Agent, Deputy Chief Tanya Muscone is awarded the Governor's Gold Medal." Jack Muscone pinned the medal on his wife's uniform jacket.

Governor Marshall: "For flying the Cobras that took down two 'bogeys', as I'm told they are called, Police Chief Sean Moynahan and State Patrol Sergeant Winthrop are recognized. Sergeant Winthrop could not be here today, so I will be awarding his State Citation of Honor in the near future. And for now, Chief Moynahan is awarded the Governor's Gold Medal." Molly Evans had insisted on pinning the medal onto the Chief's uniform jacket, and she did so as everyone applauded.

Governor Marshall: "Dr. Leonard Cordell and Paramedic Kevin Randolph could not be here today, but they are receiving Governor's Gold Medals for being part of the Life Flight, as well." Everyone applauded.

Governor Marshall: "SBI Agents Terence Johnson and Matty Graves could not be here today, but I will soon be awarding Agent Johnson the State Citation of Merit for his undercover role in this case. And Agent Graves will receive the State Citation of Merit for this case, and also the State Citation of Honor for his years of sacrifice as a deep undercover Agent, putting many drug distributors behind bars." We all applauded.

Governor Marshall: "And our final two awards... Teresa Croyle and Don Troy flew the life flight mission under the duress of being fired upon by the bogeys. I'm pleased to report that during this case, Teresa Croyle accepted an appointment as an SBI Reserve Lieutenant, which made her eligible for the State Citation of Honor, which is now awarded to her." Everyone applauded as I pinned the ribbon on Teresa's uniform shirt.

Governor Marshall: "Inspector Troy also piloted that life flight mission, and he did so much more. I'd like to read a letter that was sent to me, if I may." She looked at Teresa, who nodded vigorously in agreement.

Governor Marshall read the letter she'd taken out of her pocket: "I've had the honor and privilege of working for Don Troy for nearly a decade. We've all been amazed at the way he has solved crimes and brought the worst criminals to Justice, and at severe risk of his life and damage to his body."

"But I can honestly say that I have never seen him as on top of his game as he was during this case." the Governor read. "He was one step ahead of the Swamp Frogs every step of the way, anticipating their attempts to arrest and make disappear Captain Masters, organizing the rescue of DEA Agent Pitts, and helping SBI Inspector Maxwell bring charges against the true criminals in the City Police. Captain Masters and Agent Pitts are still with us, and Justice was fully served, because of the Iron Crowbar. Signed, Teresa Croyle, Lieutenant Commander, Town & County Police."

Everyone applauded. Teresa was standing next to me, and I put my arm around her shoulder and brought her in for a sideways hug. She put her arm around my waist and hugged me back.

Governor Marshall: "And so, for his work on this case as well as others, at risk of life and limb, it is my pleasure to award Reserve Inspector Troy the State Citation of Valor." Everyone applauded strongly as Teresa pinned the ribbon on my uniform shirt...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

As we were finishing the catered lunch, Maggie Ross appeared, carrying baby Ben Jenkins. He quickly became the center of attention, and everyone ooh-ed and ahh-ed over him. And Governor Sharon Marshall was especially happy to see him.

"I know I'm supposed to kiss babies on the campaign trail," Sharon said, "but I really want to meet this little guy."

Cindy handed Ben to the Governor. Photos were taken. First came one with the Governor of the State holding Ben, with Cindy to her left and Tim Jenkins to her right. Then Cindy asked that Molly and I join a picture, since we were blood kin, and I stood by Tim and Molly by Cindy for that one. Then came one with Benjamin Antonio's namesake, Sheriff Griswold, and his grandmother Maggie Ross with the Governor and Ben. Finally, Tanya held Ben as the Governor and my three Angels were photographed with him. It is possible that Your Iron Crowbar asked for that pose to be struck...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

The lunch was over, and Governor Marshall made her goodbyes and left, freeing everyone else to leave. EAD Owen Lange spoke to Jack Muscone and Karina White, then came up to me and said "We need to talk. Main Conference Room."

"Here comes your answer about the red crowbar." I whispered to Teresa as we followed the Federal Agents and Chief Moynahan into the Main Conference Room. The Chief sat at his usual spot at the near end of the table, but to my surprise the Federal Agents sat on the far side, EAD Lange to the Chief's immediate left. I sat to the Chief's right, and Teresa to my right.

"You did a remarkable job, both of you." said the EAD to start the meeting. "And I admit that you did that remarkable job in spite of us, not because of us. Having said that... there are going to be times when we cannot tell you everything, and this case was one of them. Dwight Stevens was technically correct to want you to sign an NDA, since the case was ongoing. The bottom line, Don, is that sometimes you're just going to have to trust us."

I could sense that Teresa was about to get angry at that. I said "I could say 'right back at you', Mr. EAD. By now you have seen enough to know that you can and should trust me completely. And that goes for Commander Croyle, as well. Stevens telling her she had to leave the room crossed a line with me, no matter how (air quotes) 'technically correct' he was."

EAD Owen Lange did not relent. "I understand that in order to work together, we are going to have to trust one another. It's a two-way street, though." He paused, then finally got to the crux of the matter.

"Don, we've done well together, for the most part." he said. "We've solved some cases together, and we Federals could not have solved some of them without you. Having said that... I cannot tolerate what happened at the Federal Building again. If you ever try to bluff me again by threatening to turn in your FBI credentials and not work with us anymore... then I'm going to have to take up those credentials and part ways with you."

The tension in the room could be cut with a katana. I merely said "You thought I was bluffing?"

"It doesn't matter what I thought." said Lange. "What matters is that we come to an understanding of mutual respect going forward... what?"

As he'd been speaking, I'd brought my personal iPhone out and was making a call. When it answered I said "Bring him on in.", then disconnected. Chief Moynahan winced; he knew what was coming.

And what was coming was the door opening to admit Molly Evans... and our son Ian McDonald Troy. Ian was wearing khaki pants, a blue shirt, darker blue blazer, a lot like what his great uncle Dr. P. Harvey Eckhart always wore, except that Ian was also wearing a clip-on tie. He looked warily (to put it nicely) at the Feds as I got out of my chair.

"Stand up here on the chair, Ian. I want you to see this." I said. Ian climbed up as I took my FBI Consultant and 'dark agent' credentials out of my pocket.

I said to Ian "I told you that I was going to do this one day... and today is that day." I slid the credentials across the table to the EAD.

"Whaa?" Ian said, as if he'd just been given a surprise birthday toy. "For real, Dad?"

"For real, son." I said. "I am no longer part of the FBI."

"Thanks Dad!" Ian exclaimed as he practically launched himself at me and gave me the biggest bear hug he was capable of giving. I hugged him back, mostly to keep him from falling out of the chair, and I took hold of him and put him down on the floor.

"Why don't we go home and put in that new line on the Troy Transcontinental Railroad?" I said.

"Yeah!" said Ian. I followed him out the door, not looking back at anyone, with Molly following us. We collected Maggie, Cindy, baby Ben, and the Sheriff, and made our way out of the Police Station.

"I was a-fraaaaid he'd do that." said Chief Moynahan as he looked out the door and down the hallway after us.

Teresa turned on the EAD. "Why'd you do that? Why'd you push him like that? Especially when he just so eloquently proved to you all how right he was, and how good he is."

"It is what it is." said the EAD, at the very least taking it in stride. "Again, Commander Croyle, you did an amazing job yourself. If you'll excuse me, I have to be getting home myself." He picked up the credentials and left the room, going down the back hallway towards Classroom 'E'.

The corridor to Classroom 'E' and the Intel Center was empty, save for one person. Melina Allgood wordlessly looked at him. He held up the credentials, and Melina plucked the 'dark agent' ID from the EAD's hand.

"Take him off the FBI Consultant rolls." she whispered. "The Swamp Frogs will think they've won and that he's done with us, so maybe they'll leave him alone. And when the time is right... I'll give him this back." she finished as she held up the 'dark agent' ID...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Dad quit! Dad quit the FBI!" Ian shouted as we came into The Cabin.

"He did?" said Paulina Patterson, then looked up at me. I just nodded. Ian rushed upstairs to tell Jim and Ross. He was one happy kid.

"Daddy!" Carole said angrily. "Why did you do that?" She was not happy.

"Is there a problem here?" I asked, and more curtly than I should have.

"Yes!" Carole said. "You and Pete's stepdad have to work together!"

"And we still will." I said. "Just with me not being part of the FBI any more."

Carole was not mollified, but Laura resolved the issue by saying "Carole, why don't you, Marie, and Tasha go wash up for lunch." I nodded, and the girls went upstairs, followed by the redoubtable Bowser. For the record, Buddy was in the attic room, supervising the continuing construction of the great New Lego City and the mighty Troy Transcontinental Railroad.

"Ian is the happiest I've seen him in quite awhile," growled Sheriff Griswold. "So I'm not going to say you were wrong to do that..."

"But was it truly the wisest thing to do?" asked Laura as we adults (and baby Ben) gathered in the greatroom and sat down on the sofas.

"No, it wasn't." I said, surprising them. "It was a great resource to have, and I was able to work on a lot of cases beyond our State's borders. But it was the necessary thing to do... and a matter of honor."

"Oh." Cindy said. "Alpha male games."

"May I?" I asked, then took Ben into my arms and held him. "Hey Ben, are we alpha-males?" Ben made a noise and moved his little arms around, then settled down again.

"Yes you are!" called out a voice from the doorway. The door had opened, and Teresa, Todd, and their boys had come in. The boys headed upstairs as Teresa and Todd came over and sat down with us. Teresa continued: "Don is right: it was the necessary thing to do. The disrespect they showed him during the entirety of this case was inexcusable."

"My only question," Cindy said, "was exactly when did you decide to do it? And it was long before that meeting today after lunch."

"Not much gets past you." I said in the form of a quotation. "You're right. I first started thinking very seriously about it when Dwight Stevens wanted Teresa to leave the room before briefing me. I cannot have my Angels's integrity and honor disrespected like that."

"Awwww." chorused my Angels, Paulina and Molly as one voice.

I continued: "And then there was that confrontation in The City with the EAD. He knew I wasn't bluffing, but I also showed him up in front of others, and if our roles were reversed I might have reacted more quickly and more strongly than he did."

YIC: "And then Karina White was forced out of the FBI, and with hardly any pushback that I could see. I don't blame Jack Muscone, and I think he's starting to get tired, as in chronically tired of all of it. But I do blame the EAD and the FBI Deputy Director for not pushing back, and letting Martin Nash run roughshod over Karina."

Cindy said: "She gave herself up for Tim, and for Julius Jefferson. And she's working with the SBI-OER now, which is going to be good for the SBI and the State... good for Governor Marshall and bad for Katherine Woodburn."

"And she has her well-earned pension." I said. "But I still did not appreciate the way she was treated. Anyhoo, it's been building up, and I realized even as I was going into that meeting with the EAD that it was just time."

Laura said "I hope you're right. You do realize you've played right into the hands of the Swamp Frogs. They'll be celebrating tonight."

"Have I?" I asked. "We'll see."

I stood up and handed Ben to Our Sheriff, who did not protest at all at getting to hold baby Ben. And then I heard the tinkle of a dog rabies tag on a dog collar. As Laura announced lunch and was about to go upstairs to get the boys, I waved her back. I snuck up to the stairs and looked up. Yep, Carole was sitting there, halfway up the stairs, having been listening to our conversation. And she was fiddling with Bowser's rabies tag.

I came on around and up the stairs. "Soooo," I said to my firstborn child, "are you once again listening to conversations that do not concern you?"