Who's Watching

Story Info
She cheats, he's shot. Who knew and didn't tell?
13.2k words
3.92
58.8k
52
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

### The End?

It had been a long day, once again my team and I had worked late into the night. Crunch time is like that and I, as the lead programmer on the game needed to be there through all of it. Often, like tonight, I'd be the last one to leave the office. After I'd set the security system, I exited the office and then the building, headed across the parking lot to my car, a red BMW 650i Couple, for the short ride home.

My mind contemplating that we had finally broken the back of this project. We'd gone a week with the bug numbers declining. Sure, we still had several hundred to clear, but the find rate had declined and my team had kept up a steady fix rate. Two more weeks and we'd have a gold master to send off.

Halfway to my car, I realized I wasn't alone. I heard the footsteps of someone rapidly approaching me. Thanks to my thoughts being distracted by the project, I'd forgotten to start my music playing allowing me to hear the footsteps.

I turned to face the person coming at me from behind. I couldn't tell you what the person looked like or even whether they where a man or woman. All I saw was the gun in their hand, a gun pointed at me. Seeing it, my instincts went to duck and cover, and my body tried to duck down.

The gun flashed and the bullet ripped through my body, just above my heart, shattering the bones in my shoulder. Falling backwards, I hit my head on the boot of the car behind me before sliding down into a sitting position looking up at the shooter, silhouetted by the street lamps dotted around the parking lot.

The gun flashed a second time, or maybe it was six or seven guns that went off given that how many I saw. The bullet, there was only one, shattered my lowest rib on the same side as the first.

Barely able to keep my eyes open, I saw the shooter step forward and aim the gun again. At that moment, I hoped that my wife, Maggie, and my daughter, Emily, would forgive me for not being around anymore. And for all the time that I should have spent with them that I spent working on the next great game. I truly regretted all the time crunch time I'd worked over the last decade rather than being with my family.

Several people started yelling from somewhere, I would have sworn I recognized some of the voices. It didn't matter the gun went off again anyway, biting into my left leg. Then I watched as the shooter turned and ran away.

Moments later, a face I recognized leaned over and looked at me. Helen, a graphic artist in charge of our user interface design and implemented, and spoke to me. Trouble was I couldn't hear her.

Another face appeared, and then a third. I knew them both. Greg, our assistant producer, and Steve, the AI programmer, looked at me then glanced at each other with concern written all over their faces.

The world began to blur and fade away then. I fought to remain awake. I fought to keep my eyes focused on Helen, but I lost the fight in the end.

Next, I looked up into the eyes of someone I didn't know with my chest on fire. As the world faded back to black, I noticed the paddles in his hands. I'd died, he'd brought me back.

### Waking Up

Pain, not like I'd just felt but still pain that was the first thing I felt. I opened my eyes opened, and I saw the reason I felt the pain, a dull ache really, in my leg. A nurse, by the uniform, had a hold of my leg and was flexing it back and forth. Working out the muscles in the leg that I'd just been shot in.

I tried to speak, but I found my throat to be extremely dry. So, only a scratching grunt game out. Enough to have the nurse drop my leg onto the bed and turn to see my eyes watching her.

A few hours later, doctors had seen me, nurses had watered me with ice chips and I felt a little better, Well, I could talk at least. I seem to lack the strength to hold my own cup and it took all I could to raise my arm off the ground let alone do anything more.

But, at least I was alive.

I learned I'd been in this long term facility for ten months. That my only visitor had been my daughter but she hadn't been by in six months. It was her phone number that they had on record as my next of kin. They couldn't tell me anything about my wife or about my shooting.

The notes also asked for the police to be contacted should I wake. Which turned out to be my first visitors.

"Mister Alan John Atkinson?" asked the older of the two that came asked.

I nodded, he introduced himself, Detective Kevin Griffiths, and his partner, Dario Bosi, before asking if I could answer a few questions about my shooting. Which I agreed to, then I recounted what I remembered of that night. With that out of the way, the questions took off in a direction I didn't expect.

"Mr Atkinson, how long had you suspected your wife of having an affair?" Detective Bosi asked. Drawing a sharp look from his partner.

I sputtered, "having an affair? What the fuck are you talking about? Where is my wife? She'll tell you she's not having an affair with anyone!"

"Mr Atkinson, my apologies for my partner's ill-timed question. But, I regret to inform you that she was indeed having an affair with Isaac Gall. Do you know him?"

Maggie having an affair with someone. There was no way this was true. She was my whole world until Emily had been born eighteen, no nineteen now I guess, years ago. Just as I'd been hers. After that, it had been the three of us. We loved one another, and we loved our daughter, the proof of our love. They were why I worked as hard as I had. I wanted them to have everything they wanted. I could not comprehend her having an affair, it made no sense.

As for this Issac Gall, the name rang a bell but I couldn't place from where.

"I recognize the name, but..." I started then paused. Remembering who he was.

"He was my daughter's middle school English teacher," I told them.

"Yes, that's how we figure she met him. Did you know he lost that job?" Griffiths asked.

I shook my head, "no."

"He started an affair with an eighteen-year-old at the high school. Broke the school districts rules, but not the law. So, he lost his job and found he couldn't get a job teaching again. Anyway, his father suddenly passed away and he found himself in his second career, running the local coffee shop."

"G Cafe," I said, thinking about the place my wife loved to get her coffee from.

"Yes," he replied. "We think this is where your wife and Gall met again."

"That would be right, she loved the coffee in that place. I'd rather drink sewer water though," I told them.

"That would be the opinion of most of the town I would say. He barely broke even we've discovered."

"I still don't believe my wife is having an affair with this man. I can see how they would see each other regularly, she would go there often but an affair seems to be a big stretch to me."

"Okay. Let's try another line of questioning and we'll come back to that. Does your house have a security system?"

"Yes."

"What kind of system? Features?"

"Basic stuff really. Alarms on the garage, front and back doors. Motion detectors in the downstairs rooms. All with a direct connection to the alarm company we use."

"No cameras?"

"No. I didn't like the idea of them having a record of my life sitting on their servers. Too many security breaches with these internet companies to feel safe. Why?"

"Did you install any cameras yourself?"

"No, the only cameras in the house would be my digital SLR camera and the ones built into our laptops. Again, why are you asking?"

"There are cameras throughout your house. We recovered a DVR system hidden in the basement that had recorded nearly a month's worth of footage leading up to your shooting."

"Who put them there?"

"We and your daughter assumed it had been you. That you suspected your wife was having an affair. She couldn't figure out how you knew though. She didn't suspect."

I didn't either. Until you told me, I thought my wife loved me as much as I love her.

"Wasn't me. So, who was it? And what did you find?"

"Proof of the affair. Proof that your wife and her lover planned the attack on you. Phone records showed that you called your wife about half an hour before you left your office. Immediately after that call, she called Mr Gall. From the video we have, it was to inform him you'd be finishing up at work soon and to get down there."

"Fuck! She wanted me dead. Why? You have videos of her with **him**?"

Images of my wife with another man, with that weasel of a teacher, ran through my head. I felt nauseous. I also felt anger, she was willing to kill me for him, for my, our, things. She wanted me dead, so she could keep the house and the car. She saw more worth in them than my life. My love for her died with that realization.

"She had convinced herself that you were having an affair as well. And she wanted to take everything from the marriage including the million-dollar life insurance policy she had on you."

Life insurance policy? He couldn't mean my work one, I'm not sure I even mentioned that to her. But, I don't remember signing any paperwork for one recently.

"What life insurance policy?"

"The one you took out nearly two years ago," he told me.

Two years! Just how long had her affair been going on. My stomach lurched again. It didn't matter, she did it. She's dead to me. Or she should be dead to me.

"I don't remember doing that. I have one through work, I think that's worth two years salary. On my base salary, no bonuses, that's two hundred and twenty thousand."

"We found that out as well," he replied.

"Okay, so, where is the wife and her lover? And do you know how long had they been together?"

"For the first question, the earliest we can track by is seven months before you got shot. So seven or eight months, probably not longer."

Eight months? But the life insurance policy was two years old. Did that mean there were others? Or did that mean the life insurance that she was looking out for her and Emily should something happen to me? I wonder if she would clear that up for me and tell me how long, how many affairs she'd had. But that first needed to know where she was.

"Your wife was very nervous when we interviewed her. Enough that she became the prime suspect. When we got her phone records, and we discovered she'd been talking a lot to Mr Gall. Including the night of the shooting, we interviewed her again. This time down at the station. We also brought in Mr Gall. Their stories matched a little too well, but we had no evidence yet to link them conclusively to the attack on you."

"Okay, so you let them go?"

"We did and planned to have them followed. However, they took off straight from the station. Mr Gall managed to escape to Mexico. Shot himself rather than allow himself to be arrested and deported. He left a confession."

"My wife? Was my wife with him?"

"She hasn't been seen since she left the station that day. We don't know where she is."

"You're still looking for her?"

"Yes, but there hasn't been a sighting of her in all this time. No accessing her funds, nothing from her phone, no relatives are admitting to her having contacted her. She just vanished."

"My daughter? Do you know where my daughter is? She's not come to see me for a while I'm told."

"She hasn't heard from her either. As for where she is. She moved out west for University. I'll check with the nurse on the desk to make sure they have that contact information. My guess is they do, but it will take her time to arrange a flight home."

Did out west mean she went to the University of Washington, I wondered. She'd talked about going there, it had been where her grandfather, my dad had gone and where I had intended going. Until, well I put together a game and sold it. That lead to a job offer. Just for a year, I told myself and my parents. We finished that game and it sold really well. My royalties off that game would have paid for my studies two times when all was said and done. I rolled into another game, this one based on an idea I had pitched. My parents tried to get me to go to University before it was too late. But, I couldn't leave my baby behind. I wanted to see my game across the finish line.

Two years later, we finished the game, I'd met Maggie and Emily was on the way. Marriage followed and University didn't seem so important anymore. Well, for me at least. Maggie went back and finished her Computer Science degree. We'd met when I had been volunteered to give a speech on game development at her University.

I wished now that I'd listened to my parents and gone back to University. No, that wasn't true because then I wouldn't have Emily. All the pain in the world was worth it to have her in my life.

"Did her boyfriend go with her, do you know?"

Please tell me he didn't.

"Boyfriend?"

Does this mean he didn't go with her?

"Yes, her boyfriend. Jake Evans."

"I don't know. His name hasn't come up in the investigation."

Surely, they would have talked to him? Emily seemed to spend every moment she could with him. I'd kept quiet about my dislike for him, Maggie had thought him to be harmless and a phase and not to worry. But, maybe if they didn't talk to him then maybe it had been a phase and she had gotten over him before all this happened. I'd just not noticed to wrapped up in the overtime and the rush to get the game done.

"I guess I have to wait and ask her then."

"Seems that would be best."

"So I guess you guys have two mysteries to solve now, maybe three."

"How so?"

"One. Find out what happened to my wife. Two. Who put the cameras in my house. Three. What happened with Jake Evans."

He laughed lightly, "that last one is for you I think. But, yes, we need answers now to the first two. We'll be in touch, Mister Atkinson."

### New Beginnings

The next morning, they transferred me from the long term care facility for coma patients back to the hospital to begin my rehab. The nurses seemed happy about that, seemed all their patients usually left in a wooden box.

Waiting at the nurse's station on the ward they took me was my daughter, tears rolling down her face as she saw me coming in.

Her face told of joy at seeing me and disbelief at seeing me actually awake and alert again. Finally, the joy won out and she rushed over to me. She kissed my cheek, held my hand and told me how happy seeing me awake made her feel.

A nurse had her return to the station while they got me situated in my room.

Seeing her, alone, drove home that the detectives hadn't lied to me. That my wife had had an affair and that she and her lover had planned to kill me. Up until seeing her, I'd drifted back into believing they'd got it wrong somehow. That finding her would clear it all up. We'd be together, a loving couple again with an amazing daughter as proof of that love.

"How have you been?" I asked as soon as she entered the room.

"Okay, I guess. I didn't take the shortcut to here that you did. I lived through the year, you just took a nap. The worst part, that being sleeping beauty for a year didn't help you in the looks department."

I laughed, my first one since I had woken up. "How are you really? How have you coped with everything?"

"Good dad. Really, it's you that should be answering the how are you question, not me.

"As for how have I coped with everything. Well, Helen from your office helped the most. She moved in with me at the house and basically got me through Thanksgiving and Christmas last year then was there for graduation and helped get me to University.

"She fought social services to become my legal guardian and her paying rent to live in the house is what keeps the bills paid. I ... She really came through for me, for us, in a big way."

"I always like Helen. I'm glad you had someone there for you. What happened to Jake?"

Emily's face soured at the mention of him. "He didn't like me spending time at the hospital instead of with him. He kept pestering me to use the empty house time for us to get together. Then, a week after you got shot, he was gone. Never heard from him again. His best friend told me he'd lost his job and moved back in with his parents. But I know that to be a lie. His parents died, he lived with his grandmother until he left school then got his own apartment. I asked at the Staples about him, weeks later. The manager told me he just phoned them and said he couldn't come back."

"Fucking loser. You're **so** better off without him."

"Why didn't you tell me that at the time dad?"

"Your mother convinced me that if I said anything, you'd attach yourself more to him."

"Fuck that bitch. I wasted too much time with that fucking loser. Dad, next time fucking tell me you don't like. Okay?"

I nodded, "sure."

"No, I mean it. Mom, she's a fucking bitch. I bet she like losers like him. I want your opinion, good or bad. Please."

"I will, honey. So, is there anyone new in your life?"

"Not really, there is one that might be something. He only just got the courage to talk to me and then I got a call and had to jump on a plane. So, when I go back, we'll see where it leads or if anything happens at all."

"What are you studying?"

"Computers. I'm like the building, Engineering side of it though. Not what you do. I built a digital scale. Just a pressure sensor and three LEDs to show the number. But it worked! First time too!"

I smiled at that, then soured. Her mother had excelled at school too. Hearing Emily, brought back memories of Maggie coming home to talk up her successes at school.

"What's wrong dad?" Emily asked concern painted over her face.

"Just old memories, honey."

"Of that fucking bitch of a mother of mine?" she spat.

I nodded, "yes, she did well at school too. I think you get your smarts from her."

"I get nothing from her dad. You're the smartest person I know. If I got my smarts from anyone it's you. The only thing that bitch is good for is rotting in hell!"

"What happened after I was shot? Or is this all from finding out she tried to kill me?"

"Well her trying to kill you **is** enough, but between when you got shot and when she disappeared, she changed. She changed a lot.

"The first week or so, she was the doting wife and mother. Spending every waking moment at the hospital. Except for school, I was there with her, so I know. We ate at the hospital, I did homework at the hospital. She slept at the hospital too, sending me home. So I had fresh clothes and showered for school the next day.

"When you didn't wake up after that first week, she changed. She'd dress a little slutty. Would say she was going to the hospital but frequently, I'd show up there after school and she wouldn't be there.

"The police started to interview everyone close to you. Helen told me they started with everyone at work. Your friends at your Sunday morning pick up soccer game. Finally, they got to me and then mom.

"After they talked with mom, she seemed on edge. Always seemed to be looking over her shoulder. She wouldn't drive the same way anywhere two times in a row. That shit made me late for school a couple of times when she convinced herself she was being followed."

She sighed, looked around the room, then continued. "When the police asked her to come in for a follow-up interview, she had trouble putting the phone back on the receiver because hand shook so badly. Yet, she still went. After she'd taken me to school.

"I walked home that day. I thought at the time that she'd gone to the hospital after the police and lost track of time. But, when she didn't come home I started to worry. I called the hospital and they told me you'd had no visitors that day. I had my laptop open looking up the number for the local police station when Helen called. She always called on nights she couldn't pop into the hospital to see you back then.

"I told her the bitch was missing and she insisted on coming to our house, she left work to come over. I'm pretty sure she took a lot of shit for it. She slept in the spare bed that night, and together we went to the police station the next morning.