WildSpace - Voyage of the Naginata Ch. 04

Story Info
The crew of the Naginata's further adventures.
9.5k words
4.8
1.2k
2

Part 4 of the 8 part series

Updated 04/15/2024
Created 03/11/2024
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Hello readers! I am overwhelmed by the feedback! I am grateful. Here's part four. Soooo... The entire story is completely rewritten, and is read to upload. I will try and get it up as fast as I can, but I am going in for a big surgery on april 1st, so it may slow down for a week or two. Thanks for your patience and enjoy!

Cali stood in the smoldering wreck of the engine room in tears, her shoulders slumped. "It should have worked, she knew what she was doing." She looked around. "What could have gone wrong?"

Serra sat with Kat's head on her lap as Saphina tended to Kat's wounds. "How bad is it?" Serra asked, her voice was shaky and weak.

"I... I don't know. I'm not a doctor, but it looks... bad." She said with tears in her eyes. Il'taira stood silently in the doorway to the small med bay. Soon, Cali and Lexi joined them.

"We're at a dead stop captain, engines are still running though- '' Lexi stopped short when Serra looked up at her. Tears streamed down her face. Cali wept hard. Il'taira held her in an attempt to comfort her.

"Please be okay." Serra said over and over. After a few more minutes of the crew standing in silence, Cali and Lexi wandered away.

"What the hell happened?!" Lexi asked her.

"I don't know. Katarina and I had a repair plan that we agreed would work, and I know it should have. I left her to get started while I was going to tell Serra what we had planned." She quietly sniffled, "This is my fault!" She said, slamming her fists onto a counter.

"Don't," Lexi approached her. "This is not your fault. Do not do that to yourself. Katarina is a competent engineer, shit, she's got skills enough to replace any of us." She poured two drinks and offered one to Cali. "Just figure out what went wrong and don't let it happen again."

"Wise words." Saphina said as she entered the mess.

"Thanks." Lexi smiled at her.

"Cali, we have faith that you'll get to the bottom of it." Saphina encouraged her. Cali gave them both a weak smile and took a drink.

Back in the med bay, Serra continued to sit, weeping quietly and stroking Katarina's hair. "You have to be okay, do you hear me? Kat, I... I..."

Il'taira stepped into the room and moved next to her. Serra looked up at the pale skinned Kurn. "Can you... help her?"

"I don't know, but I will try." She said honestly.

"Please." Serra said between sobs. Il'taira nodded and knelt next to Katarina. She closed her eyes, held her hands over her body. Black, smoke-like tendrils reached out and wrapped around her. The dark energy enveloped the body and began to pulse. Her brow furrowed as she tightened her focus on the task. Beads of sweat began to form on her forehead. She grimaced as the pulse seemed to grow. The entire room grew gloomy and noticeably cooler. Serra could see her breath in the air which startled her. She began to worry as Il'taira let out a soft grunt.

"Il'taira?" Serra whispered. She replied with an upheld finger and gritted her teeth as she let out a low growl. Finally, she collapsed back onto the ground breathing heavily. "Are you okay?"

Il'taira nodded weakly.

"H... hey..." A weak vice could be heard between the heavy breathing. Serra looked down at Katarina.

"Hey... yourself." She smiled through her tears. Katarina turned her head to see Il'taira breathing heavily on the floor. "My... Empress..." Il'taira nodded at her.

"Not... Emp..."

"Shh... don't push yourself." Serra said quietly. Kat turned her face back to Serra and smiled weakly. "S... Serra..."

"Yes?"

"I...I... love...y-"

Katarina passed out.

"I love you too." Serra whispered and stroked her face.

Cali retreated back to the engine room and sat on a bench and just surveyed the damage. She began to weep.

How could I let this happen?! It should have been a routine fix. I can't understand what possibly could have caused an explosion. I've done stuff like that before with no issues... I'm never going to be allowed on this ship again! I-

Just then, Il'taira staggered in. Cali looked up at her, utterly defeated, but her sadness turned to concern upon seeing Il'taira struggling to stay upright. She ran to her and caught her.

"What's wrong?! Are you hurt?!"

"No..." she moved to the stool. Cali helped her sit. "I expended a great deal of energy to help Katarina."

"Did it work?" Cali asked.

"I... I don't know, but she did wake up and spoke." Il'taira said. "But she passed out."

"I'm sure you did all you could." Cali said holding her.

"I did..."

Later, Il'taira sat on a stool in the engine room watching Cali go through every tiny detail. "Talk to me girl." She said quietly while reading over the logs, inspecting equipment and thinking over the steps she and Kat made. For a moment, Il'taira thought she saw a faint spark of blue-green light coming from Cali. She cocked her head and opened her mouth, but before she could speak.

"I got it!" She snapped her fingers. "At least I think I do."

She hurried to the power transfer conduit where the explosion seemed to ignite. She checked it over and tapped the pipe with her spanner. "This is it!"

Il'taira smiled at her, "What happened?"

There was a tiny fracture here." She said, motioning to the pipe.

"A fracture?! How?"

"My best guess, it likely happened during our escape from Wrolmar. Remember how badly the ship shook during breaking atmo?"

"Yes, it was scary." Il'taira agreed.

"The fracture must have happened at the moment, and rerouting the power through here at nearly double standard recommended levels caused it to weaken and eventually rupture." She explained.

"I'm glad you figured it out." Il'taira said. "What's next?"

"Well, we can't go back to jump space, the whole system will get stressed and overload the other capacitors. We need to replace the broken parts and then recalibrate everything." She explained.

"Okay."

"We need to make planetfall or a well-stocked space station. This is going to be an expensive repair." She stated. "The VoidStar would be best, if we can make it."

Later, the crew gathered in the lounge and Cali gave them the rundown. Laying out the repairs and computer system work that will need to be done. She paused and shifted nervously.

"Cali? Is there anything else?" Serra asked.

"Uh, yeah. I could really use Katarina's help."

"We all know that's not possible at the moment." Serra said, slightly annoyed. "But maybe we can hire some techs to assist you with the repairs."

"Yeah, I guess." Cali replied. She kept her gaze low, not making eye contact.

"Cali? Are you okay?" Il'taira asked, putting a hand on her arm.

"Huh? Oh... yeah." She mumbled something and hurried out toward her quarters.

"I know you're new, but do you have any idea what that was about?" Serra asked.

"She feels awful." Il'taira said. "She blames herself for the accident and Katarina's injuries. She's really beating herself up over it."

"There's no way anyone could have known that would happen." Lexi said.

"Agreed." Serra added. "That was completely unpredictable."

"She knows, but that doesn't mean she didn't blame herself." Il'taira said. The group sat quietly for several minutes. Then, one by one, they all got up and went their separate ways. Serra went to the med bay and sat with a still unconscious Katarina. "I meant what I said Kat." She whispered. "I do love you. I know... I know... in this universe, love isn't a thing most of us ever experience. I know it hasn't been very long, but with everything we went through... you've always been so strong and such an inspiration, my life since meeting you has been... so very fulfilling." She sighed and sat in silence.

"I don't think we should break our mate bond just yet. I rather like having that connection with you, even if it was... not exactly real. I know it was supposed to be a ruse and never meant to be permanent, but... I like the idea." She smiled to herself. She looked at the warrior lying there, weak and vulnerable... she began to cry. After a time, she jumped when she felt a hand on hers. "Kat?!" She looked down at her. Katarina's eyes were slits, barely open and moist.

"Hey... Captain." Her voice was barely above a whisper and very hoarse.

"How do you feel?"

"Tired... and I hurt... all over." She said weakly.

"I'm sorry." Serra replied sympathetically.

"How?" Kat licked her lips, trying to moisturize them. "How... is Cali?"

"What?"

"Cali, is she okay?"

"She wasn't hurt. She wasn't in the engine room." Serra said.

"I know..." she took a deep, ragged breath. "How IS she? I can imagine she feels bad about... all of this."

Serra nodded, "she is really beating herself up over it."

"Can you have her come in?" Kat asked.

"Oh... sure." Serra went to the comm panel and flipped the switch. "Cali, would you please come to the med bay?"

"On my way." She replied. Moments later, Cali arrived at the doorway. "Captain?"

"Cali, please, come in." Serra smiled at her. She entered and stood a few feet away. Katarina sat up with Serra's help. Cali's eyes grew wide.

"Kat!"

"Hi Cali." Kat's voice was still weak, but getting stronger.

"Hi, are you...?"

"I'm okay. But, how are you?"

"Me?!" Cali looked at her in disbelief. "I didn't get hurt."

"Maybe not physically..." Katarina replied.

"Cali, I told her you've been beating yourself up over the accident." Serra said.

"But-"

"Cali, please..." Katarina strained as her voice began to weaken. "Don't blame...yourself." She collapsed back onto Serra's arms.

"That's enough for now." Serra said. "You need your rest Kat." The Kurn nodded and closed her eyes. Serra shifted and let Kat lay on the bunk. She took one last look and walked over to Cali. She put her arm over the engineer's shoulder and they walked out.

"She doesn't blame you Cali." Said reassured her. "She understands the risks of space travel, and she knows there's nothing either of you could do."

"I guess." Cali replied.

The Naginata floated freely in space, her engines had gone cold and the generators purred quietly keeping life support and environmental controls fully operational. Lexi sat in the pilot's chair staring out into space. Saphina entered quietly and leaned against the captain's console. Lexi looked up at her and smiled. "How is she?"

"Stable, but I'm not sure." She replied. "I am praying to Mellain to bring her back to her former strength."

Lexi snorted and sighed as she looked out the window again. Saphina frowned, "Listen, I don't need you to believe in Mellain, but I can't have you running down my beliefs. The Kurn are very spiritual." She explained and walked to the other side of the bridge.

"I'm sorry Saph, I didn't mean anything by that." She said and stood. She slowly approached her and put her hands on Saphina's wide hips. Saphina looked into Lexi's blue eyes and smiled. "I know you didn't. You just have to understand my faith is very important to me as it is for all Kurn."

"Okay, I am sorry." Lexi said. Saphina kissed her and hugged her.

"You're forgiven." Saphina sighed.

An alert chime broke the quiet.

"What now?!" Lexi growled as she sat in the Ops chair. She brought up her monitors and scanned the readouts. "Shit!"

"What?" Saphina asked.

"Ship approaching, intercept course."

"What do we do?"

Lexi flipped the comms switch, "Cap,I need you on the bridge!"

"On my way!"

Soon, Serra entered and took her seat. "What do we have?" She said activating her station.

"We've got a ship incoming!"

"How far?"

"100 clicks and closing fast."

"Saphina, have a seat in Cali's seat." Saphina nodded and sat. She flipped the comms, "Cali, what's our engine situation?"

A few moments passed, "Cali?"

"Yes, we have our standard engine power at 67%. No jump drive or star drive."

"Do we have shields?"

"Yes, shields are 100%" Lexi said. "Weapons priming."

"Hail them." Serra said.

"Sending..." Lexi paused for a few moments. "Nothing."

"Damn!" She gritted her teeth and released the manual flight controls to her station. "Get ready!"

"Here they come!" The ship was now within visual range. A magnification of the ship was on the main viewer. It was closing fast! "Brace yourselves!" Serra said as her hand gripped the pilot stick.

"Shots incoming!" Lexi said. Serra slammed the stick hard to the side and the Naginata swung right and "dove". The ship wasn't a fighter, it's a freighter, not built for aggressive maneuvers, but was still relatively nimble.

"Missed!" Lexi shouted.

"Return fire!" Serra commanded. Lexi fired a full array of shots at their aggressor. "Burst away!"

"Damn! I could really use Kat's pilot skills right now!" Serra said as she fought to keep the ship moving tactically. Just then, the Naginata was hit by two shots!

"Lexi?"

"Shields caught it." Lexi looked over her panels. "What?! Shields down to 74%"

Serra pulled hard on the stick and came around. She slammed the throttle and gritted her teeth. "Fire everything!" Serra shouted.

"Full array!" Lexi shouted. Three shots were absorbed but a fourth and fifth got through. At the same time, the other ship fired. The Naginata shook and groaned as one got through the shields and hit the hull.

"Shields at 58%." Lexi said.

"Cali, I need a boost to the shields!" Serra yelled into the comms.

"I can give you a little more, but they are fluctuating wildly, that's why that last shot got through." Cali explained, "with all the rerouting I can't push her much harder than I am."

"Do it!" Serra replied as she shoved the stick forward. The Naginata spun slowly, groaning under the stress of the sudden change. Her weapons Roared death as the enemy replied in kind. The ship rattled violently, Lexi nearly fell from her chair, but the latest attack hit home!

"Their shields are collapsing Cap! I'm firing for their thrusters!" Lexi paused. "Hit! They aren't going anywhere!" She declared as pieces of the enemy thruster spun away into space.

"Nice work Lexi!" Serra said bringing the Naginata about.

"Shields at 32% and holding." Lexi said cycling the weapons back up again.

"Rerouting main cannon power to the shields." Cali called.

Behind Serra, Lexi chuckled.

"What?"

"We're being hailed."

"Put it through."

"Well fought my friends." The voice was smooth, almost sarcastic.

"What do you want? Why did you attack us?" Serra said, all running in adrenaline and struggling to calm her voice.

"It's what we do." He replied.

"But why?"

"We're pirates." He stated in a matter of fact tone. "We want to raid and loot your ship." He added.

"That's not happening." Serra replied.

"Oh no?"

"The fight is over, you lost." Serra said.

"Over? Lost? That's all a matter of... perspective." He replied confidently.

"Cap, there's a large power buildup in their main engine core." Lexi said in a low tone.

"Power down your ship!" Serra demanded. The voice just laughed over the comm.

"Their power levels are still climbing!"

"Cali, route everything you've got to the engines!"

"Got it!"

Serra slammed the throttle and turned the ship to the left and up. As the Naginata accelerated away, the enemy ship exploded! The shockwave threw the ship into a spin as the engines stalled.

"Shit!" Serra exclaimed as she attempted to restart the engines. "Cali?!"

"The conversion matrix is fried! I'm working on a bridge to bypass-"

"Get it done! Lexi, take over." Serra said, jumping up, she paused, then rushed out.

"Take over?!" Lexi replied.

"I'll be back!" Serra said from down the hallway. She ran to midship and into the med bay. Kat was sitting up in her bunk, obviously very shaken.

"Hey, are you okay?" Serra asked.

"Yes, what's going on?" Katarina asked.

"Pirates." Serra rushed to her side. "Are you okay?" She reached out to Kat's head.

"I'm okay... we Kurn are made of strong stuff." She smiled at Serra.

"Good, I was worried with all the shaking and sudden maneuvers. "She said.

"How's the ship?" Kat asked.

"Shields barely held together... Apparently, when the other ship self-destructed, the shockwave of energy... fried the conversion matrix." Serra explained.

"Self-destruction?"

"What? What is it?" Serra asked.

"Did they contact you?"

"Yes, he was very self-assured, even in defeat." Serra explained.

"Ghint."

"What?"

"Those are the tactics utilized by the Ghint. They were an ally of the Crimson Empire, but now a bitter enemy." Kat said. "If it was them, it was likely a drone."

"That ship sure didn't fight like a drone."

"There's a control ship within the system, there has to be."

"Which means we gotta get out of here!"

"Right." Katarina slid off her bunk and reached for her breaches.

"What are you doing!?"

"You're going to need my help." Kat said.

"But you're-"

"I'm fine," she kissed her, "Get to the bridge, I'll go help Cali get us moving again."

Serra nodded and reluctantly made her way back to the bridge. "Anything on the scanners?"

"No, why?"

"Kat said that it might have been a drone ship and a control ship from the Ghint will be in the area." She explained.

"The Ghint?"

"I don't know, but Kat said they are dangerous and never alone." Serra said.

"Wonderful!" Lexi replied, sarcastically.

In the engine room, Cali was hard at work trying to patch up even more damage.

"Cali, what can I do to help?" Katarina asked as she entered.

"Kat?!" Cali smiled and ran to her. "I'm so glad to see you on your feet!" Kat opened her arms and Cali hugged her, causing Kat to wince in pain. Just then Il'taira entered.

"Lady Katarina?!"

"I'm fine." She answered her. "Cali?"

"Right, I need to switch out this transfuser and bypass the conversion matrix.

"Okay." Kat said, slipping on some gloves. She immediately got to work. Kat moved a little slower, but hurried as best as she could. They rushed around the engine room working in tandem. Within minutes, Cali stepped to the main control console and pushed the start sequence. The lights flickered, but the main engines roared to life!

"Hell yeah!" Cali shouted.

"Nice work chief." Kat said and gave her a high five.

"You too."

"Nice job ladies!" Serra called over the comm. The ship began to vibrate as it struggled to push power through every system. Il'taira looked up and around with concern. Cali approached her, "it's fine, that's just the ship waking up."

Il'taira nodded with a worried smile.

"Cap, I've got another ship incoming! MUCH larger than the last!" Lexi said.

"Dammit! It's got to be the control ship." Serra flipped on the comms, "Kat, if you're up to it, we can use you on the bridge."

"On my way." She replied, and rushed off, an obvious limp in her stride. Il'taira took Cali in her arms, "I'm glad to see that you are okay."

"Why wouldn't I be?" Cali asked.

"I know you felt awful about what happened to Katarina." She replied.

"Oh... seeing her up and about has made things... easier, I guess." Cali said.

"I'm here." Kat said getting into the pilot's chair. "Control ship?"

"We think so." Serra replied.

"Okay." She flipped on the comm. "Cali, I need you to push everything you've got into thrusters. We've got no jump capability, but we need to get out of this system now!"

"On it!" She called back.

"Sorry Serra..."

"By all means." She sat back.

"Lexi, reroute all power from the weapons to the shields. Let's see what we can get."

Kat turned the ship about and pushed away from the oncoming ship. The ship was on a slow and steady acceleration pattern.

"Okay, all power to shields, we only got 67%." Lexi said.

"That will have to do." Kat replied. She pushed the Naginata as fast as she could go on an escape vector away from the incoming ship. Saphina stood next to Lexi as she continuously scanned her monitors. She crouched next to her and put a hand on her thigh. Lexi looked at her, smiled, and turned her gaze back to her console. Then, Cali entered the bridge and took her seat.