WildSpace - Voyage of the Naginata Ch. 08

Story Info
The end (?) of the adventures of the Naginata.
10.3k words
4.67
983
1

Part 8 of the 8 part series

Updated 04/15/2024
Created 03/11/2024
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Above Huin'ni Prime, the gunship, Mellain's Fury hung in low orbit. Deep in the ship a giant of a man donned his black and copper plate armor. A long cloak with a deep hood obscured his features. He attached the chains from his belt to a large metal bound book, mag- locked a heavy pistol to his hip and pulled his battle hammer off a stand and set it, head down on the ground next to him. He gasped the tome and opened it. After finding the correct page, he began to chant an invocation. A faint red aura surrounded him momentarily. He closed the book and let it fall to his hip. He lifted the huge hammer and rested it on his shoulder. He marched down a long, dark hallway until he reached a well-lit room with several people running around and shouting. The thrum of machinery filled the area. He frowned and stepped into the room with a stomp. The echo of his foot falls alerted the room full of people that he was arriving. As he breached the doorway, a single man approached him.

"Master, all is ready for transport, we managed to surpass their teleportation blocks. Shall we proceed with a test run?" He asked nervously.

"No." His voice was like rolling thunder. "Mellain and Arkhan will protect me." He stepped up on the dias. As it powered up, runes around the edges of the dias started to glow. Machines whined up and thrummed like a beating heart.

"Get on with it!" He growled loudly. His powerful voice boomed over the machinery noise, much to the terror of the workers. Switches were thrown, nobs tuned to a precision setting. The machinery began to whine and the thrumming shook the room. Soon a flash of bright light filled the room, a boom like thunder rang through the room, when it faded away, the large figure was gone!

In the medical facility, Cali lay prone on a bed, in a dimly lit room. Machines beeped quietly as they monitored her vitals. Il'taira sat next to her, deep in meditation. She attempted another probe into Cali's psyche. She had gone to her limit this time. Her exhaustion was threatening to do her harm, but she refused to give up. She would die to bring Cali back. Then she began to remember when she told Cali that was what would happen. She would sacrifice herself to save the young engineer. She probed deeply, but to no avail. She was beginning to believe the worst.

Cali's spirit was gone.

The darkness became overwhelming and she began to get lost. Not only in the darkness of Cali's mind, but her own sorrow. Over the last few days all of the crew had attempted to console her, but she could not be consoled. She felt a great deal of guilt.

As she brought her mind back to "reality" Il'taira thoughts began to wander to her past as a child of "cursed origins". As a youth, she didn't really think she was any different. She knew she looked different from either of her parents, but they never gave her any idea that it was a bad thing. In some remote area of Wrolmar there are even writings of the Kurn like her being revered as sages, shaman and soothsayers. However, as she became an adolescent the sideways glances, the whispers and rumors started. Threats started getting louder, as superstitious bigots got bolder. which caused her father to become distant and neglectful. He didn't want to be "blamed" for her... defect. Her mother continued to be fiercely protective of her daughter and defended her nearly daily.

One day, her father, on the verge of leaving them to save himself, was approached by a liaison of the royal house. They offered to take Il'taira into protective "captivity" to lessen his burden. He was offered a very large amount of money and a position in his local counsel. He jumped at the chance to be rid of the stigma of having a "tainted" offspring. The day the men in black robes came to take their daughter was a nightmare to her and her mother. She was scared, confused and lost. She was being ripped from her home and family and put into a frightening situation. She could very vividly see her mother's face from that day, tears streaming down her face, screaming and reaching for her daughter as these strange men took her away.

The first few weeks of her new life were almost exclusively in a small, unremarkable room. A bed, small dresser, a chair and a privy. If she knew what a prison cell looked like, she assumed it was this. She was visited several times a day by an old woman with dull white skin and gray hair who brought her food. She did have to admit, the company and the food was the highlight of her day. It was the best she ever had. Once a day, about two hours after lunch, she was visited by another woman. Fierce red skin and jet black hair with a single white stripe. Her eyes were cunning but also very wise. She never even mentioned her skin, she only ever talked about her life, and if she'd ever "heard" anyone's thoughts.

This line of questions confused Il'taira until, after months of this routine Il'taira unconsciously answered her questions before the woman asked them. The next day she was moved to a larger room with a bigger plush bed, books to read and even a small enclosed courtyard where she could sit in the grass and feel the sun on her pale skin.

She began to have regular visits throughout the day by teachers who talked a great deal about mental powers and the supernatural. She continued to hear the questions in her mind before they were asked. She even learned to move small items with her mind! She began to understand just how different she was, but didn't understand why she was here.

This lasted a few months, until a man came to visit her one day. He was tall, powerfully built and had a certain air about him she couldn't quite figure out. He was obviously very important, but she couldn't be sure. He would take her out into the courtyard, sit on a bench with her and just talk. Never about abilities, or her "condition", rather he would just talk about life, what she hoped for her future and even her dreams. He seemed to focus on her dreams, even bringing in a scribe to write down the details of her dreams.

One morning, after breakfast, the man came for a visit. That day he brought her a small gift. An amulet she should wear whenever she leaves her room.

"What's this?" Il'taira asked as she put the silver cord around her neck and held up the silver and black metal amulet.

"Is a very special amulet. I need you to wear it whenever you leave your room." He said.

"Leave my room?!" She looked up at him wide-eyed.

He chuckled, "Yes, this amulet will allow you passage throughout much of the palace."

"Palace?" She looked at him confused.

"Yes, you've been living in a secluded area of the Wrolmar royal palace." He said.

"But..."

The man smiled and put a gentle hand on her shoulder. "Il'taira," it was the first time she'd heard her name spoken since coming to this place. "This is your home now and you can go almost anywhere you like."

"I don't understand."

"I'm giving you some freedom from this room and your life... but," he paused for a moment, his face turned very stern and serious. "I need you to work with a teacher."

"But, I have been, sir."

"This will be a different teacher. She will help you find your full potential."

Il'taira nodded.

"Good." He smiled warmly. "Oh, one other thing. I need you to listen to your dreams."

"Listen to my dreams?"

"Yes, remember when someone would talk with you about dreams? Well, I want you to really focus on your mind and thoughts as you go to sleep at night. I will have paper and a writing utensil brought to your room."

"What should I think about?"

"Nothing."

"But-"

"Il'taira, just whatever thoughts enter your mind, remnants of your dreams... anything you think might be of interest, no matter how insignificant you may think it is, write it down. Your teacher will discuss your writings with you and take the papers away. They will always make sure you have enough to write down whatever you feel like you want to."

"Yes sir." She nodded. "I understand."

The man smiled and stood up, she stood as well. "Thank you Il'taira, I truly appreciate your willingness to help the Empire."

His words confused her, but she smiled and nodded at him. He nodded and turned to leave.

"Oh, sir!" She called him. He turned and looked down at her.

"Yes?"

"What's your name?"

He smiled, have a slight chuckle. "It's Haston."

"Very nice to meet you... Haston."

He smiled and nodded to her. After he left, Il'taira sat and dwelled on the man's name, she thought it sounded familiar. A few moments later...The Emperor?!

In their suite, Serra and Kat lounged on the plus couch just relaxing and taking a moment for themselves.

Serra has been in a whirlwind of "excitement" ever since the Kurn duo (and later trio) arrived on her ship. Now she sat in peace and comfort with a woman she never thought she'd be able to love like she did. Planning to marry in the next few days, the two of them had gotten so comfortable with each other, they could sit in silence and just smile at each other. Serra did break the silence.

"This is so nice!"

"What is?" Kat asked.

"Being here, with you, without a care in the galaxy."

Kat smiled and nodded.

"I mean, we'll have to get back to work once Cali is on her feet again, but it's nice to have a break. Especially after... everything." Serra said.

"I'm sorry about that... all of it." Kat replied somberly.

"No! Please don't do that. I would go through it all again if it meant being with you... getting married." She grinned.

"Yeah, that's the best part." Kat agreed with a genuine smile.

"Tell me something."

"What?"

"If you had ended up finding a different ship, would you be back in Wrolmar? On the throne, or a Lord Marshall again?"

Kat thought for a couple moments. Then smiled at her. "Most likely I would have retaken my position as Lord Marshall, but... I suppose that depends on if I had convinced my brother or father to return."

"I see." Serra replied.

"That's a strange question, why do you ask?"

"I was just curious if you think if you went back, you could have permanently changed the Empire." Serra elaborated.

"I would imagine, if I took the throne, I could, but as Lord Marshall, I couldn't. I wouldn't have any real power. And I would never want to repeat the mistakes of Kered'un the Dread."

"Who?"

"He was Emperor before my great, great grandfather and the last of his line. After he ascended to the throne, he named himself Lord Marshall and used the Crimson Empire's forces to hold all under his iron fist." Kat explained. "There was no one to counter his methods since he was in the throne and commanded the armies."

"Oh..." Serra replied, standing and moving to sit next to Kat. She snuggled close and sighed. "This is the best." She said.

"Agreed." Kat said and kissed her head.

Lexi and Saphina strolled along the bizarre. Saphina was unusually quiet ever since they arrived, and even... distant. Lexi thought that maybe time would bring her back around. She took a deep breath and finally broke the silence.

"Saph, I'm going to grab some food down there." She pointed to a restaurant down the causeway.

"Oh okay," she paused, seeing a familiar looking woman in an elegant dress walking arm in arm with a well dressed, blue skinned alien man.

"Saph?"

"Oh, sorry. I'm going to find a restroom, could you order me some food and I'll be right there." She said with a sweet smile. Lexi's defensive feelings faded away and she returned the smile. After Lexi headed off, Saphina rushed to the area where she had seen the woman. She needed to see if it was who she thought it was.

When she arrived, she realized it was an opera house and she was severely under dressed to actually enter. She tried to see past the crowd, catching a glimpse of the woman, but was unsure as to her identity. Defeated, she slumped her shoulders and headed back to the restaurant. Moments later, she felt a hand on her arm. Turning to see who it was, she was shocked and correct that the woman was indeed Ginny!

"Hi Saphina." She said with a smile.

"Hey, what are you doing here?" She stepped closer to her.

"Right after you left, an affluent client of mine wanted arm candy for an event here, it was just lucky that you were going to be here." Ginny explained. Saphina just watched her speak with a smile on her face.

"Well, it's wonderful to see you again." Saphina said quietly.

"It sure is." Ginny agreed. The two of them stood and smiled at one another for a moment. "I'm sorry Saphina, I need to get back..."

"Yeah, me too." Saphina replied with a sigh. They quickly hugged and parted.

"Bye." Ginny waved to her and hurried off. Saphina watched her go and vanish into the opera hall.

"Goodbye."

As Saphina arrived at the restaurant she saw Lexi sitting with a test full of food waiting for her. At that moment, a loud crash followed by a scream caught their attention. Lexi leapt from her seat and rushed to Saphina's side.

"What the hell?!" She grabbed Saphina's hand. "Wait here." She said and made her way to the causeway.

"Wait, where are you going? They have their own-"

Another crash interrupted her. Lexi looked out into the passage.

"Shit!" She swore under her breath. She looked on as a unit of ten Black Coats from the Organization troopers stormed in, knocking people to the ground and causing havoc. Lexi crept back to Saphina.

"What's going on?" Saphina said very worried.

"The Organization is here." Lexi said as she watched the doorway.

"Why? What are they doing?" Saphina was obviously scared. "Why would they do this?"

"I think... " Lexi swallowed. "I think they might be looking for me."

"You?! But why?"

"I think that the Templar who boarded the Naginata sold me out." She said.

"But why?"

"The Organization doesn't like losing their property." Lexi said.

"Property?! What are you talking about?"

"We need to get out of here!" Lexi said as she scanned the area, looking for an exit. Not seeing a safe way out, she turned to Saphina and looked at her intensely. "When I say now, I need you to run to the right and don't stop." She said.

"But-"

"Please, I need you to get to safety and find the others." Lexi insisted.

"Okay." Saphina nodded grimly.

"Ready?" Lexi asked. Saphina nodded. Lexi pulled her close and kissed her. "Be safe."

"You too."

"Now!" Lexi shouted and launched herself at the lead Black Coat, knocking him down, wrenching his gun from his grip, shooting him in the head. Saphina dared a glance over her shoulder as she ran and she saw Lexi dive into another doorway shooting at, and hitting more Black Coats. She ran as fast as she could, passing security forces and into a "safe" area.

She made her way to the area where her suite was. She could still hear the chaos in the distance, and worried for Lexi. Just as she reached the door to Kat and Serra's suite, the door slid open.

"Saphina, what's going on?!" Kat asked her.

"Lexi is fighting Organization forces in the bizarre!"

"What?!"

"She said to come find you."

Kat stepped past Serra and Saphina and looked back at them. "Saphina, I need you to go to the Naginata and in my quarters, in the large black case are the Gauntlets of Mellain, bring them to me."

Ever the loyal handmaid, Saphina nodded and rushed off. Luckily, the Naginata's bay was close and she would return quickly.

"Shouldn't she stay here where it is safe?" Serra asked.

"She'll be fine, I need those gauntlets."

"You're the warrior." Serra winked at her. An explosion rocked the area. Kat pulled a small slug pistol from her boot.

"Hey! You were supposed to turn that in."

"Oops!" She grinned.

"Serra, I need you to stay safe, you need to stay as far away from the-"

"No."

"Please my love, I need you alive if I'm going to marry you." Kat said with a smile. Her full, dark red lips made Serra swoon.

"You better come back to me." She smirked.

"I'll always come back to you." Kat replied and pressed those full lips against Serra's.

"Yum!"

Just then, Saphina returned, struggling to carry the huge gauntlets. Kat handed her pistol to Serra and took them from her.

"Thank you Saphina." She said, sliding her armored hand into one of them. As soon as it was locked in place, Serra could hear a faint hum of power. Then she put on the other and flexed her fingers.

"Truly the warrior queen or the Crimson Empire indeed." Saphina said fondly.

"Never to be queen again, my friend." Kat said. She nodded to them and bolted down the hall. After she disappeared around the corner Serra took a deep breath and slowly exhaled.

"She'll be fine Captain." Saphina reassured her. "Oh, I have something for you as well. She grinned and pulled out Serra's two finely crafted slug pistols.

"Ooh! Good girl!" Serra said and checked their load. Saphina then handed her for quick loaders. "Stay put." Serra said and ran after Kat and the chaos.

"Oh Starshine!" a voice called out. Serra slid to a halt and spun around to see Kyree with several of her mercenaries holding Saphina and Kyree held a pistol to her head.

"Kyree?! What are you doing here?!" Serra growled.

"I'm here... for you my love." Kyree said. "And to kill your friends, so they won't be in our way."

A large hooded man appeared and took up position next to Kyree and swept back his hood.

"Hawk?!" Serra gasped in disbelief. "How?"

Hawk walked past her and toward the fighting. Serra watched him hurry down the hall, then she turned back toward Kyree who grinned at her. Then, she shoved a small tube into Serra's gut. Electricity jumped and danced around the end of it and through Serra, knocking her off her feet.

"Serra!" Saphina screamed. Before she could stoop to help her, she was struck on the back of her head and fell unconscious.

Elsewhere, Kat battled her way through Organization troops trying to get to Lexi, who has become trapped in a shop. Her broad swings and brutal blows sent Black Coats flying ten feet back! Bodies lie broken, bleeding and near death at her feet. The Gauntlets of Mellain humming a happy time of violence. Several took aim at her at once, they tried to shoot, but the gauntlets, when held together in front of her, created an energy shield. Seeing the shots being deflected, four men charged at her. Kat raised one gauntlet high in the air, then drove her fist hard down to the ground. The shockwave created knocked them off their getting dazing them. Another brought an assault carbine to bear and opened fire. The bullets bounced off the gauntlets and struck the ground near her. Before she could charge him, a shot rang out, exploding his head! Kat looked toward the shot's origin to see Lexi. Kat smiled and sighed, but before she could say a word, a huge figure appeared out of the smoke and swatted her away.

"Lexi!" Kat screamed.

The figure stepped into the clearing and lifted his huge hammer and brought it to rest on his shoulder.

"Time to die...princess." He growled.

"Khaine? What are you doing? You were an ally to the throne!" She said,

"Your family no longer has a claim to the throne, you have been charged with treason. After I kill you, your brother and father are on my list."

"What?!"

"Prepare for execution!" He said and he advanced in her position. He pulled his hammer off his shoulder, taking it in both hands, it began to seethe in eldritch energy. "Arkhan, guide my hand!"

"Come on!" She growled.

The huge man charged her and she braced for his initial attack. The blow came down, aimed at her head, but Kat rolled out of the way. She flexed her powerful thighs and launched herself at him. Her massive gauntlets almost screamed as they "hungered" for the battle. Khaine's speed was shocking, he deftly stepped back and batted her to the ground. The impact caused her to see stars as she rolled. Kat got to her feet but her legs were suddenly weakened. She shook her head and narrowed her focus. She could see Lexi just starting to stir. Kat gave a brief sigh of relief that the tattooed woman was at least still alive. Kat drew up to her full six and and a half feet and flexed the fingers of the mighty gauntlets as she rolled her shoulders.