Winding Creek Pt. 02 - Home

Story Info
Lucas is not pleased with the happenin's at the ranch...
9.4k words
4.68
5.9k
13

Part 2 of the 2 part series

Updated 04/20/2023
Created 09/18/2022
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
JDDebaum
JDDebaum
59 Followers

Lucas lingered near the corrals edge, some sixty feet away from the end of the porch where J.D. and Tiffany set in the early afternoon breeze. With a quilt neatly folded over his legs and the old flint lock rifle he near always carried restin' in his lap; He looked not like the man he was, but neither like the man many folks were whisperin' about.

Miss Tiffany was always near J.D., tending to him with the love n respect of an oldest daughter. The only time she left his side was when her son had need fer his mother. She'd become a sight more fidgety, a tad to thin and almighty quiet. She mostly avoided eye contact with Luke, save fer one long look while she nursed John. Luke had smiled softly and was rewarded with the same, first one he'd seen from 'er since his return.

Sheriff Rivers had come calling an hour or so after sunup. Linda sent him toward the half open door in the loft.

"Hello in the loft."

Lucas, near finished with his shaving after his tub bath, stepped into the early morning light from the sliding door below the loft.

"Mornin' Sheriff."

Relaxed and slow, the sheriff took out a fresh store-bought plug of tobacco...

"Mornin' Lucas. Good ta see ya back."

... n bit off a corner, keeping his hands chest high 'fore lowering 'em to rest on the saddles horn.

"How's J.D.?"

"Miss Debra says he's gittin' better every day."

"Good to hear... Good to hear."

Luke could see the questions twistin' up inside the man. He let the awkward silence hang a bit in the slow warming morning air.

"There gonna be anymore shootin' Lucas?"

Direct, not like the city. Luke only half smiled.

"You might have some answers fer that Sherriff. I still ain't figured out all the particulars yet."

Luke took a moment, finishing with some shaving soap still on his face.

"Yur not asking about last evenin'?"

The nervous man rolled his shoulders n slowly shook his head.

"Every man there called it fair Lucas... most even justified."

Luke studied the man J.D. had often called friend.

"I appreciate that Bertrum... When Judge Pickett due again?"

"Any time after next Tuesday... No later then Friday"

Luke turned on his heel and headed into the barn. Bert Rivers took note of the Walker Colt holstered in the center of his back. Luke stopped and looked over his shoulder.

"This call just business Bert or you gonna step down and share a word?"

The aging man who only took to sheriffin' for the thirty-two dollars a month and a place to sleep while he set his small spread right weren't comfert'ble. No sir, not comfert'ble at all... 'Cept it was plain that Lucas Blake was not done talking yet.

This young man were no longer 'the shadow' as he were often referred to; always near the two girls n watchful n when he weren't there, with J.D. n listenin'. No Sir. This was J.D.s own 'adopted' son. And if you weren't sure that he were not pleased what he's found comin' back home, you'd be a gawd damned fool.

In the still cool barn, Luke rinsed his face n slipped on his hot ironed linen shirt.

"Tell me 'bout Jack Seasons."

Fading grey eyes met Lukes stormy green ones.

"You knowed he were always a bully Lucas. Started throwin' his weight around a bit more after Miss Tiffany n him run off to get married... Then figured he was bull of the woods after J.D. took ill."

Bert Rivers took special note of the long, nimble fingers workin' the only bone buttons he'd ever seen on a mans shirt.

"What about three fingered Mike?"

It were the way Luke askt made the older man shift just a bit.

"Ran into a little money I'm told... added a room to the back of the livery n 'nother corral. Prettied up the place a bit. Rumor has it he got one of those mail order brides coming from somewhere in the east."

The tooled black leather settled low on Lukes hips.

"The man's a liar and a thief. I'll be seein' him Friday when I bring the family to town."

The Walker Colt slid easily into its holster. Luke tied it down.

"I hope you'll be there when I do Bert."

The words were out before the Sherriff could stop'em.

"That'll end it?"

The black coat swung through the air, slipping over his arms and then settlin' nicely on Lukes shoulders. The Sheriff saw the tightening of the young man's jaw.

"What's happened to the ranch Bert? Where's at least one hand."

The words were stoney-cold.

"Why is the family that took me in and been a friend to near every man, woman or child with-in sixty miles strugglin' Bert."

Sherriff Bertrum Rivers needed to spit, empty his plug filled cheek of sour tobacco juice. He didn't dare do it now.

"When Miss Tiffany started seein' Jack, folks around here wondered why J.D. didn't put a stop to it. Then they run off n come back married. Seasons made it a show 'bout having Miss Tiffany as his wife... Spent a lot of time in town, drinking a byt to much n on more n one occasion... M'ybe saying things he shouldn't. You knew the man Lucas..."

He did.

"And no one said a word."

Luke's words were cold. Hard. The Sherriff actually swallowed the foul liquid.

"W-weren't their place most figured."

Luke's back stiffened, eyes blazing.

"Even those that called J.D. and his family friend..."

It was late mornin' when Miss Debra, seated at the top of the porch stairs, began accepting late payments and the excuses n such that often went with 'em. She'd smile at 'em as she made notes in her black ledger book. Several may have noticed the smiles warmth were dependent of the lateness of the payment due.

Word traveled fast 'bout Lucas Blake's return and the happenen's of the evenin' before... The growing arrival of folks stood truth to that.

Luke, he jist lingered. Close enough they could see the low hung holster under his freshly brushed broad cloth coat and best linen shirt, yet fer enough away as not to invite conversation.

He thought about his family; They knew where he'd been last evenin', but didn't ask 'bout the happen'ns. They'd wait til Luke wanted to say, if he ever wanted to. It'd been Miss Debra, sittin' with him in the late-night air while Linda napped in her father's chair who quietly touched Luke's hand. Luke looked up at the woman that had been both mother and mentor n soon enough, they were under the massive sycamore that hid most the ranch house from the flats he'd crossed to reach Winding Creek not to many hours past. Twas the same place her and J.D. sometimes talked 'bout the more important things n' the same place she often had given Luke gentle direction or some stern advice when needed. Now it were the words of a mother tendin' her family speakin' to him.

"You were mostly missed the last year or so Lucas. When word was heard about Tiffany and her marriage, J.D. would stand under this tree for hours, fretting about what he was going to do. She'd made a choice Luke, against his word to run off and marry that man. Then one morning, Tiff was sitting on the porch crying with John held tight in her arms, her left eye blacked. She'd sneaked away from them and back home under the cover of night."

There was a long-tired sigh that slipped from her lips and then lay hard between them.

"Things went south after that. J.D.s anger ate at him until he took ill. Word spread fast Lucas. Things looked as bad as they could be until I saw your smoke trail. When I told J.D. you were back, it was the best night's sleep he's had since Tiffany run off."

The quizzical look she received from Luke hadn't changed since their first meeting on his arrival to the ranch so many years ago. Crossing her arms to warm the chill of the night, she held Luke's questioning eyes.

"The only person J.D. never kept a secret from was me Lucas. I always knew his plans for the future... This ranch... And you. The only thing he was wrong about was Tiffany. I knew better than he did about the girls, though I seldom corrected him on those matters."

A smile tugged at the corner of her long day's face.

"I knew it was Linda since the day you carried her all the way home when she fell outta that old, bent over oak tree near the school. J.D. could never figure why you carried her instead of leading her home on ol' Whiskey. Linda's never forgotten that day, though you seemed to when Tiffany started to come of age."

Luke stood there in silence; the first tear he'd shed since his mother sent him west gathering in the corner of his right eye. Her face changed then; Softer maybe.

"I could smell the black powder on you when you came back from town Luke..."

She ran the tips of her calloused fingers over his cheek.

"...more importantly son, I saw the ache in your eyes. It's not easy doing what you know you have to when those you love are in trouble... or worse, been hurt. J.D. always knew you'd make a fine man. Now, the whole territory will know how right he was.

She took his hands in hers circling her thumbs slowly over their back.

"You are the son we lost just after we were first married Lucas. J.D. brought you home to me after we finally accepted there'd be no more children after Linda. The girls were at that age that worried us both and you did more than temper that fear. You became that son Lucas... We both love you for it."

She turned to look toward the edgy, black skyline.

"I'd like to stop at the church. It'd do the house good to plan a wedding. Maybe put a stop to some of the tongue wagging that'll surely follow after your return and the evenings doings."

She turned to face him again.

"Start your new life with my youngest daughter proper; And I'll not hear you have to make things right first."

Luke shook his head, a tiny smile tuggin' at his lips.

"What makes you think she'll have me Miss Debra?"

A low chuckle floated on the cool nights air.

"If you have half the affection for Linda as she does you, there's no power on earth that'll stop it Lucas Blake. Don't you love my daughter?"

"Yes Ma'am, I'm certain."

"Then it's done and that's it."

Luke paused.

"I'd like to court her a bit before we make things final Miss Debra by bein' married n all. Seems to me a gal needs a little bit of that."

Silence followed before she brushed at her cheek.

"Y-yes... Yes she does Lucas."

Luke nodded back towards the house that J.D. himself built and he'd helped add onto his first year there.

"We'll need another room."

"Two might be better Lucas."

"Two what?"

Linda neared, wiping the much-needed nap from her eyes.

"Too late for you to be wandering at night with no shoes on Missy."

"I thought Luke might like me to fix 'm some more coffee."

"What Luke might like better is a taste of that fancy liquor your Daddy's been hidin' in the tack room for the last twenty years."

"Mama!"

Luke could see the flush growin' on Linda's neck n cheeks in the full moons pale light.

"You'd do well to listen to your mother's words.", he chuckled.

Linda's face twisted in the same familiar way it always had when she wanted to say more but didn't. Miss Debra was till cluckin' about somethin' or other as she moved back toward the house. Neither Luke nor Linda heard. They walked slow, the young woman movin' close after Luke took her hand.

"Mama had me make a place in the loft for you. Said you might need time alone tonight. I'll sort the bunk house for you tomorrow."

"The loft suits me fine Linda Jean."

He paused, squeezed her hand then kissed her cheek.

"Thank you."

They were close to the barn now, hidden in the darker shadows. The chill of the night drew 'em close. Her hands slid around his waist; her cheek pressed tight against his chest.

"Why'd you stop me from kissing you at Lily's Pond."

She peeked up at him, dark eyes questionin'.

"W-was it that bad? I just don't know how Lucas. Only kiss I ever had was when me and Tiff would sometimes... Well, you know."

He'd cradled her face in his hands.

"They were as fine a kiss as any man could ever hope for Linda Jean. It's just we got to take our time now, you n me. Slow down a little."

His first kiss was as gentle as Luke could make it. Taking her hand, he quietly led her inside the barn and after nudging the side door closed behind them, kissed her again... and then again 'fore holdin' her close, head tucked under his chin.

"A wise man once told me that when I finally found the one..."

He rocked her slowly in his arms.

"... and I have Linda; now n forever... That we should take our time, make memories that would do us well in the future n in times of trouble."

He kissed the top of her head, the tip of her nose.

"There'll be only one first time fer everything from here on in Linda Jean. I want ours..."

She drew his face to hers, kissing him hard then pushing away n just starin' at 'im n gnawin' at her lower lip.

"Lucas Blake...."

Turning, she fled the barn.

Luke shook his head remembering how Linda'd run away that very mornin' and the giggling followin' her flight. So this is the way it was supposed to be: feelin' all warm n safe n shiverin' just a bit at the same time?

Miss Debra's calling for supper broke the series of thoughts Luke kept turnin' over n over in his head. The heat of the day had mostly passed, yet somehow or other, the woman that'd been awake even longer then he'd been looked fresh; lady like.

It were an odd feelin' he had when Miss Debra set him at the head of the table. She settled where she'd always been, now directly across from him at the tables opposite end. J.D. had retired for the evenin' he was told. Luke kinda figured but hadn't asked.

Linda, face scrubbed and raven hair tied back, set Lukes's dinner first followed by Miss Debra's. Luke was a little taken aback when she wore a dress again; light blue with a little lace around the collar. It weren't her nature to wear a nice dress one day let alone two. Miss Tiffany, with John cradled nearby, sat next to her mother. An empty chair on Lukes right waited for Linda' til dinner was set. There weren't much said, the entire group worn from lack of sleep. Weren't no pie that night. The stew was good, but a little thin. It were Miss Debra that finally asked what Luke might have on his mind.

"Come Friday, we'll all be goin' to town. Miss Debra will set things right at Nelson's mercantile. You girls 'll get what you need, maybe a few things you don't."

"W-what about Papa?"

It was maybe the first thing Tiffany had asked anyone 'bout the goings on in the here and now.

"J.D. will be fine for half a day alone. Its only proper folks see you and John in mournin' over his Father."

Tiffany looked at her mother; Miss Debra lowered her eyes.

"It's not just proper Tiffany, it's important... It has to be done."

The room got to quiet.

"I'll post the need for a hand here at the ranch. I'll expect you ladies to get a good look at anyone who shows up. Too much has changed n I'll need your help in the choosin' of who. Early next week, with Miss Debra's permission, me n Linda will be riding to south canyon to see Luis Tee and what we have as far as stock goes. I'd like'm to see Warrior. Have'm n Linda figure what their gonna do with'm."

Linda covered his hand with hers.

"Oh, n by the way, we'll be stopping at Stewarts mill. We'll be needin' some lumber fer mine and Lindas new room. That is..."

He looked at the opened mouthed girl on his right.

"...if she'll have me."

There were a different kind of silence before the room broke into laughter and then tears after Linda finally squealed her yes. Even baby John added some to the pleasant commotion.

"Now, if Miss Debra agrees, I got a few things in the barn that Linda's been worryin' me 'bout that need to be gave to those who they were ment for."

Luke saw the pleased look cross Miss Debra's face before she spoke.

"You take the girls Lucas; I'll clear the table and keep an eye on John."

It pretty much played out the easiest way it could've that night. Questions were asked and answered n soon laughter started to fill the barn. Takin' special care, Luke first opened the weather-stained wood crate. The girls marveled at the three-piece sterling silver tea set as they work'd to clean mor'n a year in a box and travelin' over two thousand miles.

Luke then unpacked the gold n ivory music box and presented it to Tiffany. She just kept turning it real slow in her hands 'fore lookin' at Luke n then Linda n then at the box again. Luke would come to hate the silent night hymn it held, damnin' the day he said the one spool'd do when he ordered it.

He watched as both girls gently removed the burlap, then linen coverin's off the white n then green rolls of silk. The hand-made roll of lace got near the same favored attention. Linda held on to the white silk most of the evenin' and was caught more n once just starin' at Luke. Even next to the now named Warrior, Luke could think of no gift that were made to make her happier. Miss Debra finally made it to the barn too. Seems even she got curious after a spell. She chased the girls away from her tea set 'fore lookin' at Luke n smilin' thoughtfully.

"H-how'd you know Lucas?"

"J.D. Miss Debra."

Luke helped as much as they'd let'm takin' their gifts to the house before headin' back to the loft to get some much needed sleep.

The next two days were spent fixin' this n that n keepin' an eye on things. Truth be told, he was enjoying stealing as many kisses n what not from Linda as he could. First time he slapped her bottom she blushed. The second, he got a pointed look for a long bit 'fore she finally smiled. She'd retreated back to wearin' her buckskin britches under whatever dress was patched n sewed n such and on it last leg 'fore being sent to the rag bin... Same way she'd always been. A bit more lady like now, back m'ybe a little straighter, but still Linda.

His Linda now.

Sometimes when they were alone together, they remembered growing up. Other times they planned their future and others still, they'd just look at each other n study each other's faces.

Miss Debra had been chased back to the house more n once by Luke sayin' he was back now n she need'nt be bothered with the barn n corrals n such. She'd enough to do with altering the black crepe dress fer Tiffany's mourning period and Linda's wedding dress and fussin' with the garden...

As Tiffany took special care of J.D. n John, Luke took notice she was sometimes just starin' East. 'Bout the third time Luke seen it, he askt why. Tiff turnt to meet his eyes.

"There aren't many prospects for a widow with a child here Lucas. I might be thinking of asking you to send me East. Maybe make an introduction to some of those you knew. You did well there, maybe I could too."

Luke stepped closer n lifting the corner of the blanket John was swaddled in, kissed the sleepin' child's forehead.

"You n Choo-Choo 'ill be staying here... Least til he can tend to some of his own needs. I'll father the boy Tiff... Treat 'm as my own til you say different."

The fair-haired woman smiled as Luke kissed her cheek.

"This is your home Tiffany. John is a landowner now. Folks' mite not know it yet, but he owns most of what you had with Jack. I'll see that he gits what's his n yours."

The lines appearing on her forehead said she didn't understand. Luke just winked n smiled. Tiffany found another smile to give back.

"You needn't worry 'bout much more than that child n J.D. now... m'ybe help your Mama n give your sister some guidance in the here n now."

Luke looked at the boy ag'in before walkin' away with thoughts of Katlyn and the child they might have shared crowdin' his thoughts. Wasn't long 'fore he were pushing all that away once more. What's done is done. Bygones. Linda was waiting n Lord knew her patience were gettin' thin lately.

Seemed all she wanted to do was be with Luke n when she weren't, takin' care of him in some other way or n other. She was worrin' her mother 'bout the weddin' n her dress n who knew what else. This afternoon she n Luke were to have picnic under the sycamore. She wanted to ride to Lily's Pond, but Luke just didn't feel right about leavin' the ranch yet. Things needed to shake out a byt more. The trip to town would come soon enough...

JDDebaum
JDDebaum
59 Followers