Winding Creek Pt. 04 - Change

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

He well remembered when Luis Tee would show up so Luke n J.D. could go huntin' er run a string of mustangs to Independence.

He always had some peppermint sticks or other store-bought candy. Luke himself were gifted once with a steel foldin' knife he still prized to this day. Linda would latch onto Luis Tee as they looked at every critter the shyer of the two daughters would catch or were raising. Tiffany would stay back a bit, enjoying whatever Luis brung 'im til Miss Debra would call fer her help with whatever.

Now the soul n heartbeat of the ranch were adrift... Her near blank eyes were focused on who knew what. He covered her hand with his n squeezed lightly.

She smiled, but her eyes didn't.

"I'm headin' for bed Lucas. I'm a little tired."

Pushin' herself from her chair, she kissed Luke on the cheek 'fore headin' off to bed. When Luke went to stand n follow, Miss Debra sat 'em back down with her eyes. The lightly closing bedroom door said they were going to have as much privacy as they were goin' to get unless they went out into the star lit night. Tiffany started clearin' the table as Miss Debra moved to Linda's chair on Lukes right.

"The note from Luis Tee said he'll come calling in the next week or so. He'd like to talk to us. All of us... Together."

Luke felt J.D.s teachin's 'bout family wash over him at the tone in her voice...

John Seasons fidgeted a bit, curled up in his mother's lap. Tiffany looked down as her son struggled with sleep n then back in Luke's direction. He was standin' near the same spot he'd promised to love, honor n cherish her younger sister. Not more than a darker shadow inside a shadow, she knew exactly what he'd look like tonight.

His eyes would be the paler of the greens that seemed to change with his mood. The crinkles around 'em would be a bit deeper with the hard settin' of his jaw. One of the cigars that Judge Pickett had gifted him in a fancy wooden box would slow-roll over his lips occasionally as he figured on whatever were most important in his mind. He mite light it, mite not. Both men believed the expensive, hand rolled tobacco added to their airs. Tiffany had pressed him n Linda both, for Luke to grow a mustache. She truly believed it'd add years to his looks, make him seem a bit older n wiser... M'ybe a touch more handsome if that were possible.

She sighed.

There'd be no sign of the boy tonight that sometimes appeared when family was close. That part of Luke was slow being lost to time as he worked to better their family. Tiff n Linda had spoken about Luke's way; her mother added sum facts sometimes too. The girls never felt more loved or safe than when he were around.

Respected... Safe... Loved...

Tiffany had no fears for herself or son anymore as she agreed to have Luke father John until whatever. She knew Luke would always belong to Linda Jean. Just a glance at them together promised that. Yet, like the child Linda carried and her own son, John, would be a very, very close second in 'is life.

Yet, Tiffany knew he had more to give. Linda did too; said as much. She knew how much Linda hated being pregnant. The horrible mood changes. Fighting for a moments comfort when she tried to rest. Her body changin' with the growing child inside. N this was only the beginning. Linda sorely missed her days of fully tending the ranch she so loved, what with their mother always fussin' bout staying safe and inside the house n all. She also knew what Linda missed even more, but hated herself for not wanting it; the touch of her husband.

Tiff would have loved to have Lucas around when she carried John.

Her pregnancy was no more than an excuse to play sum new, twisted game. She'd never been more than Jack's plaything, him wantin' n her tryin' to please. When she shyly, but proudly, announced her pregnancy, he slapped her bottom in front of everyone n called fer a drink to celebrate. Her husband n Mathew never needed an excuse to 'pull a cork', but this one was dandy. Though Tom seldom joined in, he did that evenin', under the watchful eye of his wife...

As time passed, Jack would talk 'bout the slow changes in her n her body with Mathew n in front of Tom if he were there. He bragged how one night, when the mood took her, she'd got all lovey-dovey n 'couldn't get enough of his cock.' When her breasts started to swell, he made sure everyone knew it, tellin' Matt how they got 'bigger n better' all the time. Mathew soon became obsessed with knowin' all about her breasts... N what went on in their bedroom.

Then one night, after dinner when the two men started their drinking, Mathew told Jack he'd like to sample his wife's charms since there were no worry 'bout her gettin' pregnant... She already were.

Jack looked at her with a half-drunk leer n askt what she thought 'bout that. She angrily stood n started for their bedroom when Mathew grabbed her arm.

"Come on Tiff. What's wrong with a slice from an already cut loaf."

When she tried to pull away, he tightened his hand. Jack started laughin' givin' Mathew his left-handed okay. It were Tom, his face red n twisted that stood n pulled Matts hand way. Towerin' over the sittin' man, he made his thoughts clear.

"My own Mother lost two babies, one young enough we didn't know if it were a son er daughter with this kinda nonsense. I won't see it happen again... N that's a promise Mathew... You too Jack. I won't stand fer it."

The mostly quiet man had said what he meant... N his fiery eyes left little doubt...

Things slowly settled ag'in. Tiffany got bigger N Jack took slow notice of her needs. Mathew would brush up ag'in her now n then, sum times whisperin' she wouldn't be with child forever. One time he filled his hands with her tender breasts in the barn n nipped at her ear. She'd twisted away n hurried back in the house.

Mathew always stayed clear when Tom returned from the fields or were tendin' something er other near the house.

Tiffany often smiled her appreciation to him.

Tom were always hopeful that he'd have a chance at the girl he'd pined after during the years they'd gone to school together. After slowly learnin' n finally acceptin' he never would, he settled on the younger of the Season's two daughter. But still, his look was wantin'...

Tiffany was relieved when Gretchen announced her pregnancy. The two women growed closer then, sharin' the secrets Tiff had stopped sharin' with her husband. Then Tiffany quickly became more then perturbed when Jack started payin' his sister more kindness n attention to her than his own wife.

Mathew would sit back n watch it all, a smirk permanently etched under his searchin' n watchin' eyes.

When it were Tiffany's time, Gretchen n her sister delivered Little Jack durin' a long night of pain with the rain fallin' hard outside. It were late the next mornin' that her child told the world he'd arrived.

Jack used the occasion to get drunk.

It were just over two months that Tiffany's life stopped and the recent blessin' come to no more than another lost memory....

---------------------------------------------------------- 0 -----------------------------------------------------------

Sheriff Rivers rolled outta his bunk n slowly stretched. Years of doin' and not succedin' ran through his body as it sorely complained. The cabin was near cold, the fire reduced to embers some time ago. The light chill in the air had made 'em crawl deeper into the worn quilt 'stead of gettin' up and addin' wood for more heat. Locatin' his boots, he pulled first the right on and then the left over a holey sock. Stompin' his feet to get the blood movin' agin, he done what he shoulda done several hours ago; added to the fire. After gatherin' the makin's fer coffee and fillin' the fire-stained pot, he set it near the slow growin' warmth.

"Damn Bertrum, Ur gettin' old boy."

His alone voice settled as he opened the door n headed fer the outhouse. The cool air added a bit of urgency to his walk. After emptyin' his bowels, he quickly moved back into his cabin.

Upon enterin', Sheriff Bertrum Rivers froze.

Smoke Garcia were sittin' in the better of the two chairs he owned. Startled, the hair on the back of his neck rose up stiff.

"There trouble Smoke?"

The black-eyed face nodded.

"W-what can I do ta help?"

A large. thick finger pointed at the chair that'd been moved across the small table from Smoke. After the clearly shaken Sheriff settled, Smoke laid his newly acquired Colt Dragoon on the scarred tabletop n then the large, polished steel knife that were always on his side..

"Mr. Luke wood like ta know were you have got-ten de gold coins you ben slow spendin' sherife."

Bert Rivers face drained of color.

"You shoul-tent steal from de Padrone."

"I-I never..."

A raised, calloused hand stopped the older man from lyin'.

"I told Mr. Luke I wout keell you slow, but he say no. You were wonce a friend to 'is father."

A low sigh slipped between the Sheriffs tremblin' lips.

"De Padrone say I shoult let you live..."

A slow, uneven smile appeared under the long, waxed black mustache.

"...hee wans to know who'se plan it were to keell him."

Smokes black, lifeless eyes bore into his.

"N-no one Smoke... Billings did it alone... I swear it."

The large brimmed hat was removed and placed on the table. Smoke ran his hand over his coal black hair as his smile faded.

"Mr. Luke sed I shoult ask jist once, then fine de trooth in my own way..."

-------------------------------------------------------- 0 -------------------------------------------------------------

Luke had asked 'bout the goin's on, but his mother-in-law was not sayin'. The days since his return from Luis Tee's were fast movin' n painfully slow at the same time. Linda Jean struggled with their child growin' inside. Miss Debra fretted, yet said nothin' save it weren't right havin' this kinda trouble this early in a pregnancy. Tiffany was told to set Lukes old room where J.D. had passed right fer company. Luke couldn't imagine Luis Tee in the small room...

Lucas Blake had been sent for and quickly joined the small possie that searched for the killer or killers that had way laid Sheriff Rivers in his own home. Tracks were light and the group separated when them n all other sign petered out. Luke n Bill Nelson went south. Jim Crawford n Paul Stevens trailed a bit west then doubled back in case sum one missed somethin'. The group decided to end the search early afternoon of the secound day, each headin' in the quickest direction to their homes.

Lukes ridin' with Bill Nelson weren't as bad as Luke figured it mite be. He were smart, both in book learnin' n experience havin' been in the mercantile business near forty years. He'd worked fer his Daddy soon as he were old enough to push a broom.

Bill met n married the rather plain Edith Hortense under the approvin' smiles of her father n two older brothers, collected the sizable dowry n when it were put together with what he had, gave 'em the means to open his own mercantile. He'd chose Independence, a fast growin' town n soon to be city. With the connections he'd made over the early years and cash in hand, he opened his own mercantile. William Nelson worked long hours, had three girls n grew prosperous. Luke noted the sly smile that appeared n then vanished quick as a startled rabbit when he used the word 'prosperous'.

But bad luck came knockin'. A fire at his store took most everything. What he could salvage was quickly sold. His home n savin's soon followed. He took to drink n Edith set a hard line in the house they rented. After all, her home was half a day n a boat ride back to her people. Bill smirked when he shared this part of his story.

"Shoulda let the woman skedaddle, but I was hard pressed over the girls."

They'd ridden on in silence fer a minute or so when Bill said he'd throw a three-mile loop n meet Lucas at Bonners farm. It made as much sense as Luke ridin all day to find somethin' he didn't want found. Luke figured the man needed sum time to hisself...

The last of the time the two men spent together answered one question n asked another. Luke had listened. Now it were time he askt'.

"How'd you n J.D. meet?"

Bill looked at the younger man, a bit more then half his age. He'd been wonderin' n now was the time Lucas Blake was askin'.

"I was drinkin'... Alone again, when J.D. spotted me sittin' at a table as far away as I could git from most anyone. He walked over n asked if we could share a drink."

He shook his head and met Luke's pale green eyes.

"J.D. still had color in his hair then. Same style buckskins like he always wore n carryin' that damn long rifle. I didn't' know 'em or cared much 'bout nothin' at that time in my life. I remember slapping the table hard n sayin' as long as he was buying!

J.D. set across from me with a just bought bottle of sum pretty good rye whiskey n refilled my glass. We shared pleasantries' for another drink eer two when he asked if I were the man that just lost the mercantile."

He paused, back straighten' a bit.

A slow movin' doe had poked her head out of the Bonners growed corn field. Both men set in watched as she tested the sometimes-moving breeze n ducked back inside the varyin' shades of green when the restless Patch snorted n bobbed his head.

"I'm afraid I took his question a bit peevish n reply'd, 'And if I am.' "

That man never batted an eye at my rudeness.

"I'd like to finish this bottle with ya ta'nite n then have a serious word tomorrow afternoon when we 're both sober. Well, that was pretty much that. Next afternoon he wondered if I mite consider Winding Creek to reopen my Mercantile. He knew n said as much the first year or so wouldn't bring much profit. J.D. said he give me the land cheap and on time. I told him thanks, but I didn't have fifty dollars left to my name for a store, let alone stockin' it. Didn't matter to J.D.. 'I'll stand your first purchase to stock the store. You'll be on your own after that. I want ten percent til the debt's paid, five percent after that to say... five hundred dollers cash. After that, you're on your own.'

I took the deal quicker than a chicken snaps up a bug."

Lucas still held the older man's eyes.

"I'm not for sure how things went south after that. The first years were hard Lucas. We struggled with the store n keepin' food on the table. J.D. never pushed. 'Fore to long, Miss Debra come callin' with that agreement written down you ask'd about... Everything in that agreement were just as J.D. n I shook hands on. The rest sorta happened."

Lucas slowly nodded. He had right to most of what Bill Nelson owned n then ma'be sum.

"You've done what I askt Bill. Even your Missus is tryin'..."

Lucas fished the special made box Jim Crawford's oldest son had gifted him from his coat pocket. Openin' it slow, he handed one of the two cigars it held to Bill and then bit off the end of the other for himself. Bill produced a white phosphorus match n struck it with his thumbnail to light Lukes first.

"Things are doin' pretty good now. We got folks settlin' and from what I can see, your business is good. You pay what you can. Bill..."

He then lit his cigar from the half-burnin' match that was offered.

"... I'm learnin' patience Bill. Ain't got what J.D. had, but Miss Linda says I'm doin' better."

The heavy-set man forced a smile.

"Then things are right between us?"

"Fer now Bill. Fer now."...

----------------------------------------------------------- 0 ----------------------------------------------------------

It been five days since Luke had returned from Luis Tee's. As was her nature, Debra Ann kept a sharp eye to the southwest, searchin'. It were odd though. For so many years it were J.D. she'd fret n watch for; most always from the northeast. Now it was the man who fathered her youngest daughter. That were only some of the news her n Luis would share with their family when he finally got here.

She hoped the arrival of the woman that had birthed over a hundred children in n around Gonzales could offer some relief for that same daughter. Luis Tee had suggested her to Debra Ann and just before he left after his last visit... When she still hadn't made her decision... Luis Tee did.

"I'll be sendin' fer Miss Luna. I'll let you know if I can when she'll be arrivin'."

Debra Ann had held her tongue.

Linda's father had let her mother their child as she saw fit n never said much 'bout Linda's upbringin' other then he was proud of her. He'd come visit the girl regular over the years, always bringin' her something or other. He treated Tiffany mostly the same as he did Linda Jean. She'd tried to keep Tiffany busy during his visits, allowing him to spend as much alone time with his daughter as she could.

It had been a good arrangement, just like it were when J.D. brought Luis Tee home to settle for a bit; see if a partnership could be had. There would be one man around the house mostly all the time and she n the year-old Tiffany would be safer. Luis would free up J.D. to gather mustangs, they'd both would gentle 'em and take turns huntin' when a spirit needed sum time alone.

Luis had always been more than kind to Debra Ann. He'd father Tiffany when J.D. was away n tend to the little things around the slow growin' ranch that made life a bit easier.

He'd even take to the garden now n then. They'd grow'd pretty close.

Luis, many years younger than J.D. n some mite say handsome, looked like a Mexican Indian mix, which he were. Both men had made their home in the mountains for a spell, J.D. a bit longer. They'd crossed paths once n a slow growin' friendship came of it. Now, after a few weeks together, it was decided it were time their small cabin would be added to. Debra Ann would need her privacy.

The two men, when together at the ranch, would sum times pull a cork n waste the night away when times would allow it. Debra Ann would busy herself with Tiff or some quiet chore she put off for just these occasions. As the talk sometimes got louder, she noticed Luis givin' way a bit when prudence called for it.

They seldom involved her durin' these times. Now n then J.D. would find reason to have her come to the small table or out to the porch. Then one night, after she'd changed into her long-tailed night shirt over her chamois, he called for her. She were timid, handin' his pipe n tobacco through the door she'd cracked open then hurrin' back to their then curtained bedroom. Not much was said until Luis left fer a hunt. He'd had a yearnin' for some venison steak.

J.D. had been workin' all day with the mustangs n two new mules that were near ready for the trail to Independence. He'd taken his second cup of coffee with him on an early start to his day n shunned her call to lunch. Debra knew her husband had somethin' on his mind n put a little extra effurt into dinner...

It was after the sweetened bread n cream for desert that he pulled her into his lap as she tried to clear their small table. His hand slid around her waist and he buried his face into the side of her neck. Debra gasped at the first signs of intimacy since several months before the birth of Tiffany. She didn't even mind he hadn't shaved. It had been so long...

"Ya happy with how things are Deb? Two men around, takin' care of things?"

She was n she said so.

"Good, Good... I am too."

She wiggled tighter against him n lifted her face. He then kissed her cheek instead of her offered lips. She peered into his face.

"It'll be seven hard days ride to Independence with the added mules. Four, maybe five days comin' back. Luis Tee has never been there n has no mind to go."

He straightened her in his lap.

"Luis has been good to us Debra Ann. We might get to keep a little gold from this trip to Independence after payin' them that are owed."