Winding Creek Pt. 05 - Pragmatic

Story Info
Things 'er settling a bit at the ranch... Damn near anyway..
10.7k words
4.77
2.4k
4
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
JDDebaum
JDDebaum
59 Followers

Lucas Blake were restless this mornin', cleanin' a weapon that weren't in need of cleanin'. Toe tappin' agin the worn wood under his foot as he sat on the porch, cigar rollin' across his lips. Occasionally lookin' n not really seein' the ranch as it moved around 'im. Thinkin' hard...

His wife had tugged his tail pretty good this mornin' after pullin' 'im close n teasin 'im a bit with her fingertips. This, after their first night of cuddlin' n enjoyin' each other a hell of a lot more than they had since her up n down pregnancy.

He were still needin', but figured the glass were maybe half full ag'in...

Luna had done well with her potions n gentle words n guidance n prayer. His wife were feelin' better. Linda Jean were neer herself ag'in... Mostly smilin' n movin' round the ranch; Tendin' the things she loved, teasin' a bit with Smoke n makin' small changes where she thought they were needed.

And then ag'in this mornin'.

"Well...?"

He'd held his tongue 'fore rollin' outta bed, his green eyes flashin'.

"Pesterin' me ain't gonna get it done woman."

She pulled her knees up tight as she could ag'in her chest n wrapt her arms around 'em. Lowerin' her chin n lookin' up at him with hooded eyes, she pouted.

"I want my sister back Lucas. All of her."

"N how in blue blazes is that gonna make her any better then she is Linda Jean?"

Her voice rose, her eyes narrowed.

"I told you... You wanna hear it again!"

She'd pushed. He were finally pushin' back.

She glared at her husband, her dark eyes blazin' n lips pulled so tight they were near white before hidin' herself under the store-bought sheets n then rollin' away. Luke wanted to slap her pretty, widenin' bottom now offered up, but chose not to. Stormin' into his wool pants n grabbin' his boots, he headed to the kitchen. Luna, in her worn, pale-yellow dress, were sittin' a steamin' cup of coffee at the head of tha table. He were still grumblin' n pullin' on his other boot when 'is breakfast plate were laid in front of 'im.

"Life can sumtymes be deefficult Padrone. Miss Linda is feelin... Mmmm... Better?"

Luke looked up into Lunas glowin' eyes, slow shook his head, n then chuckled...

Now, sittin' on the porch, the Walker Colt oiled n glintin' in the slow rising sun on the small table next to him, he tried to enjoy his third cup of coffee. The mornin' were a pretty one. The bird songs mixed in with the sounds of a ranch comin' to life. A sometimes breeze carried those sounds past 'im n then away. Wood being chopped. Chickens fussin. Sounds of horse n mule enjoyin' the sun while a new mustang were bein' broke in the near corral.

Smoke Garcia, clean shaven n wearin' a fresh washed shirt: his droopin' mustache waxed so tight lately it hung well under his chin. Restin' 'is foot on the lower rail of the near corral, he were watchin Boots Handly work a black n white mustang. When he seen Lucas sittin' on the porch, he sharp whistled to the barn. Quick, who were splittin' wood, pulled on his shirt over the top of his worn, once red long johns n headed toward the porch.

"Good mornin' Mr. Blake."

"Mornin' Quick. I'd like Patch tended to n ready when Smoke n me finish practice this mornin'... maybe an hour er so. Ask Smoke to grab 'is pistol n join me."

Quick tried to hide a smile that were tuggin' at his lips as he turned to do as askt. Damn! He were askt, not told. His chest swelled up tight as he strode towards Smoke.

Lucas tossed the leavin's in the glazed cup on the hard packed dirt in front of the porch, grabbed the Walker Colt he had fashioned for J.D. n went inside. Slippin' the fresh cleaned weapon into his gun belt that hung on the peg just below his hat, he collected n strapped the weapon low on his hip n tugged the worn black leather tight. When he turned to call Luna, it were Tiffany that came from the kitchen.

"Luna's in your room with Linda. They have the door closed."

Luke just nodded, takin' note of the cranberry color she'd added to her lips.

"I'll be headin' to the West ranch 'bout an hour er so. I need to see Luis Tee."

Her early mornin' blue eyes softened as she lookt at 'im.

"Want company?"

Damn those soulful eyes.

"Not this time Tiff. Just goin' to be there n back."

He saw a cloud pass over her pretty face as she turned away. Takin' a slow step away, she looked back over her shoulder.

"I could keep Mama company while you men talked."

Luke shifted a bit, wonderin' just how much she knew...

Luke n Smoke spent extra time practicin' with their pistols after putttin' enough distance from the barn n corrals so's not to startle the horses; yet close enough to have 'em get used to the explosions of the black powder firearms.

Luke was slowly takin' to the engraved Walker Colt. It were a bit heavier than his n fit 'is hand a little different. He still needed a little more time with it. The new Colt Dragoon he'd gotten through Oscar fer Smoke were pretty much the same as the modified Walker. Luke had wished he'd made a better offer to the gunsmith who bettered his weapons to join 'im in Winding Creek. The man were far ahead of his time in 'is abilities; shaving the cylinder on the Colt n the special made molds fer it's lead loads. He'd sweetened the pot in a letter after J.D. passed. Luke were still watin' for his response.

The roar of the Smokes Dragoon's shots fired were gettin' bunched closer tagether. They'd filed the hammer a bit on the Dragoon so's Smoke could draw it back a bit smoother n cock it quicker as he drew. The front sight was shaved off to avoid any catchin' that might be had during his slow improvin' draw. After all, the point was to learn to shoot as soon as the weapon cleared n leveled above the slick oiled holster. Luke still bested the big man, but not as often as he had. Smoke were hittin most everythin' he aimed at. Luke was startin' to hit tossed-out wood pieces makin' 'em dance as they skittered over the grazed-on grass. As the two men cleaned n reloaded their weapons, the usual silence that they'd oftin shared were broken by Lucas.

"I'd like yur thinkin' on Quick..."

The way the words were sed made Smoke think a bit. Lucas were askin' 'bout the man inside.

"He wurk hard. He think like hee move... Queeck."

He looked into Luke's eyes.

"Can 'ee be trusted. Yes... Other things... I em not sure. No won knows unteil thee time comess."

Luke held the big man's eyes. There were a long moments silence.

"I will fine out Padrone."

Lucas half smiled, appreciating the man beside him.

"Now sir, if I may ask... Luna."

Linda Jean had told her husband the two were gettin' close... Serval times.

"Things warmin' up twixt you two?"

Smoke damn near blushed.

"Si Padrone. I wood like to make a trip to Gonzales sooon. Luna has askt I meeet her sun."

"Son?"

"I have askt her to marry mee Padrone."

Lucas nodded, then quickly turned, drawin' n palmin' two quick shots. The first threw the piece of broke up firewood into the air... The second spun it over n over 'fore it settled in the grass. Smoke grunted.

"De gun has become part of you."

Luke met his friends' eyes ag'in.

"And when she says yes?"

The wide shoulders tightened a bit.

"We wood like to stay heer Padrone. Raise her son where he wood bee safe."

Lucas Blake slipped the twinklin' steel into the black leather tied tight to his thigh.

"The boy would be safe anywhere with you my friend. You choose where; we'll see you get it."

Luke thought it was the first time he ever saw the bull of a man shrink up jist a bit n sigh.

"She wood like to bee close to Miss Linda... Miss Tiffanee... This is her home now Padrone. I wood like that very much tooo."

Luke extended his hand. His friend took it.

"You just make sure it ain't so close I have ta hear your snorin'."

Smoke Garcia looked to the man that had made him family n offered a rare smile.

"T-thank you Padrone."

The smile vanished as he drew. The dried chuck of firewood leapt into the air. Lucas Blake drew n shattered it. Smoke holstered his still smokin' pistol n smiled again...

Quick had curried Patch n brushed his mane til it shone. Luke's saddle n reins were polished, soft shinin' too. Linda Jean kissed her husband, then held the reins as Lucas swung his leg over the back of the pleased gelding. Tiff stepped forward n handed Luke a small package wrapped in brown paper n tied with twine. It were a wood box of some kind.

"What's this?"

"Something Mama askt we get."

Luke were curious but knew better then ta ask.

"I'll be back 'fore dinner."

Takin' the reins from his wife. the black gelding stepped back, turned and eased away from the women standin' on the porch. A gentle touch of his fresh shined boots sent Patch to the canter they both favored. It were a nice ride to the West ranch; Lucas n Patch travelin' as one.

They passed wheat fields that had been cleared not to long ago; bound n set to dry n then covered to keep the rain off. They'd be gathered, flailed for the grain and then the straw left behind raked away from the grain. Wheat were the best cash crop for the farmers. Oats were harvested next. By the looks of things, corn wouldn't be far behind. Dried n then hand grount, it become the staple fer most. Luke preferred wheat bread over the corn bread that he'd eaten mostly durin' his early years...

---------------------------------------------------- 0 -------------------------------------------------

Debra Ann's blue eyes held Luis Tees near black ones as he slowly stroked her cheek, dippin' in and kissing her lightly, then lookin' into each other's eyes again. His other hand cradled her heavy breast, his hard-skinned thumb lazily circlin' her still taut nipple. Luis liked teasin her. Debra Ann liked it when he did. It'd ben the kind of lovin' they both favored now their time with one n other were as plentiful as they liked. Luis had become even more thoughtful of her growin' needs lately; but he weren't the young buck he once were.

They'd chosen the barn for their most recent couplin'. The day were growin' hot n the smell of fresh straw filled the warm air. Luis crowded her deeper into their just made love nest. The horsehair blankets were softened by the patch work quilt Debra Ann had spread over 'em. With their shared pleasure still minglin' twixt the two of them, he kissed her ag'in, remindin' 'im both of so many years ago.

"Hello in the house!"

Debra Ann smiled at her man that had just given her most everythin' she'd ever wanted. Best thing, there were no guilt now.

"I always thought that boy had a second sense to go with that mind of his."

Luis Tee straightened a bit 'fore callin' out.

"Set your ass on the porch. I'll fetch some fresh home made."

"Many Thanks!"

Luke swung off Patch n looped the shined reins over the rail to the left. After loosin' the chinch strap on the soft glowin' saddle, he fished a dried apple from 'is coat pocket. The black gelding made short work of the fruit before nuzzlin' his owner's hand.

He hadn't been near the Season's ranch in ten years, n then only once. It were a large house with a wraparound porch in front; a much smaller house to the left were connected by a covered walkway. Lookin' toward the barn, he saw Luis headin' his way. A gallon jug filled his left hand, his right was pullin' his near black suspenders over his bared shoulders n chest.

"What brings you out here Luke?"

Luke had thought on it long n hard. Folks never were his strong suit. He figured 'bout halfway here he'd speak to his mother-in-law instead of Luis Tee 'bout his quandary.

"I need a word with Mom."

Luis Tees sweat shinin' face broke into a wide smile. Luke waved off the look, hopin' his father-in-law would leave a sleepin' dog lie.

"Girls been after you ag'in Lucas?"

The smile faded for just a bit 'fore it lit up Luis's face ag'in. Luke could feel the red heat well up in his neck n face.

"It's just hard Luis... Callin' her Mom n all."

The jug was handed to Luke after their shared handshake. The harsh bite of corn liquor were welcomed.

"She'll be here shortly Son..."

Teasin' a bit, Luis dragged out the word son. Lucas shook his head n handed the jug back. Luis winked 'fore fillin' his mouth.

"Been busy in the barn Luis?"

The bare-chested man damn near spit the liquor from twixt his half smilin' lips. Wipin' off his drippin' chin, his words were a little strained.

"Indeed son. Indeeed."

"Lucas!"

Miss Debra were headin' their way, a folded quilt draped over her arms in front of her.

"What brings you here on this pretty day?"

Lucas noted her smile n askin' eyes as she looked between him n Luis Tee. Luis were lookin' at the ground like Choo-Choo did when he got caught doin' sumethin' he weren't supposed to do. When she neared, Luis drew her in close.

"The man needs a word Debra Ann."

She looked over into her adopted son's face. Luke could see the flush in her neck n cheeks n then noticed two shafts of straw tangled in the back of the same matchin', light-colored hair.

Reality slapped him in the face.

"I... Eee... Err..."

The words wouldn't come. Luis took Debras arm n guided her past n towards the house 'fore slappin' her bottom as she slipped by. His mother-in-law turned to look at 'im as she eased her way backwerds towards the house. Lucas could see the light peekin' through her light cotton dress well above her knees to the bottom of the quilt she had in front of her. He reached for the jug before turnin' his own back to his slow retreatin' adopted mother.

Luis bit at his lips before bustin' loose with a peal of laughter that embarrassed both his intended wife and his son-in-law. Luke didn't see Miss Debras ashen face or the wonderful rollin' of her hips as she turnt n bolted for the house.

In the few seconds that followed, Luke swallowed more corn liquor in one pull then he'd ever had in his life. The burnin' liquor hit bottom and the young man struggled to keep it where it were sent. Luis, tryin' as he might, couldn't get his self settled, his laughter still stirrin' the air. Even Patch took note, pawin' at the hard earth n snortin' as his mane rippled along the back of his neck. Luis Tee finally reached fer the jug. Luke handed it without lookin' into the still smilin' man's face...

--------------------------------------------- 0 --------------------------------------------

Smoke Garcia had been up early. He'd seen the candle in the kitchen n watched as Luna went for water n found the fresh filled buckets at the end of the porch. She'd peekt in the direction of the bunk house n smiled. He'd been to the creek n cleaned up 'fore fillin' those wood buckets. He weren't gettin' get much sleep anyway; hadn't since he first met the midwife Luis Tee had sent Quick sixty long miles for.

Near as tall as he was, she were slender with acorn hued skin. Smoke was more than smitten with the deepest green eyes the well-traveled man had ever seen. What drew him even closer: Those all knowin' gold flecked eyes that peered inside you n seen all your secrets. He knew what she saw. N that woman never looked away from him.

During their long ride from Luis Tees south ranch to the Blakes that were made longer by the use of a buck board; she quietly studied the land through the heat n dust much of the time. He tried to speak to her but struggled with his words. After half a day n many awkward miles, she reached across the rattling bench they rode on n laid her hand on his sun blacken'd forearm.

"There are things you must learn first Mr. Garcia. Things you must accept. Then there will be no reason to be unsure. The words will come."

Removing her hand, her eyes began searchin' ag'in. Those were the only words she spoke to him until she askt him to bring her bag n then when she sent for him to choose a place for her garden...

Luna Sifuentes had chosen poorly; her first husband was a good man yet did not have the heart she believed he did. Their simple life was interrupted by the birth of their first n only son. Though Luna had never seen another child like Samuel Rudolfo Sifuentes; her mother had crossed herself n cried at his arrival. Small headed n flat faced n upslanted eyes told of a poor future for the child. He were touched. Luna had refused all offered advice n kept Sammy. Her husband left for the fields one day n never returned. Them that might have need for help from her no longer did. If her mother were not about, they would decline Lunas help as a mid-wife. When the young man 'Quick' showed up at their slow failing ranch with a ten-dollar gold piece and a request from the padrone Luis Tee, the decision had been easy. She'd given the heavy gold coin to her sister n mother to care for Sammy until she returned.

But there would be no return.

Luna knew the moment she met Smoke Garcia's eyes before he bowed his head when she were greeted by Senior Tee; her prayers had been answered. She saw the brute force in the man. The anger that hid the love inside. No one would bully her son, call him the hateful things other children or even men sumtimes did. This was a strong man. A dedicated man. She would make him hers and Sammy's father...

Smoke lingered near as much as he could; here n there as he watched over Luna, Miss Linda, Miss Tiffany n Choo-Choo. He saw how Luna would often take Linda's hand when the ground were uneven or a horse's trail left even the smallest obstacles. She said little, mostly listenin'. The three women were oftin laughin' with John being held by his hands to near walk between the two sisters. It were the first time that long mornin', when Luna looked at Smoke. Her smile said thank you n Smoke could only hope...

-------------------------------------------------- 0 -----------------------------------------------

Linda lay curled up on the slow rockin' porch swing, her head in her older sister's lap. Tiffany's hand gently stroked her raven-colored hair. Luna were keepin' a tite eye on John as she busied herself around the hot kitchen. The sound of Linda's sleepin' breath lulled Tiff to a near nap. Lucas had been gone fer more n four long hours, sayin' he needed to speak to Luis Tee. He weren't sayin' why.

She were still hurt a bit. Lucas had told her no when she askt to go along. She'd even added a touch of the cranberry lip stain Jack had gotten her in what seemed a very long ago. As her mind started to wander in the familiar safe sounds around her, she wondered if any man might see her as she were before that fateful day two months after John had been born...

Tiffany Ann Seasons had near slept through the night before Lil' Jack started demandin' his breakfast. After pleasin' her child's hunger n tendin' to his other needs, she laid him down to a satisfied nap. A stop at the stove to get it warmin n a trip to the covered trough next to house fer a mornin' bucket of water, she paused in the early mornin' air. It were clear n cool fer a change, denyin' the heat that were sure comin' when the sun got up a bit. Takin' a second deep breath, she started back inside.

Breakfast was simple that mornin'. Just coffee fer her husband n Mathew, eggs fer Gretchen n herself. Tom n his wife were visitin' Tom's folks and weren't due back til day after tommorrow. Jack, Matt n Gretchen were headin' to Winding Creek shortly. Gretchen had need of some thread n wanted to see the new fabric Edith Nelson said were comin'. Coffee n sugar were always needed.

Tiff was going to have a day to herself n Little Jack. The hands were there so the recent mother wouldn't be without if she needed.

"Grechen, put tea on that list Ur makin'. You gals are jist 'bout out."

Up less than ten minutes n already her husband was givin' orders... Then he set Gretchen's tea first before hers.

"Thank you, Jack."

Her husband turnt n gave her a half smile.

JDDebaum
JDDebaum
59 Followers