Wings of Fire Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Maybe, but I'm no idea man. Although some of his ideas have been useful from time to time," Ernie replied. They stopped in front of James' plane and Ernie couldn't help but smile.

"Now this beauty, this is one hell of an idea made into reality. Whoever designed this piece of machinery was someone who was truly inspired," he said with admiration.

"Really?"

"Absolutely! It's a well built and properly designed airplane! I wish we had someone that talented, designing planes for us and improving our current planes!" Ernie said sincerely.

"Well, wish granted," James told him, grinning like an idiot.

"What?"

"You just met the designer, good sir!" James told him with pride.

"Bullshit! You're telling me you designed and built this marvel? You're pulling my leg!" Ernie balked.

"Well, designed it, yes. Built it, I did not, but I wish I had. But allow me to take you through everything this plane is capable of," James said. He then launched into a fully detailed explanation of all the plane's features and showcasing some of the more prominent ones. Ernie was floored by how much the kid knew about the plane and was convinced that he was talking to the original designer.

"You really have a knack for this, kid! I'm sold! You got the blueprints for this beaut?" Ernie asked him, giddy as a kid on Christmas morning. In response, James opened his duffle bag and showed Ernie the tubes containing the blueprints. Excited beyond all belief, the big man led James to a small office that was reminiscent of the offices back at the Marino Airfield.

Once inside, James pulled out the tubes and checked them all until he found the relevant one and placed it on the drafting table. He also retrieved the notebook with the list of materials and parts that were required to craft the plane. The two of them were going over the list and the specs of the plane when another person walked into the room.

"Hey dad. This the new guy Tex was yammering about?" a baritone voice uttered behind them. James turned around and got a good look at Ernie Black Jr. He stood taller than his dad, at around six-foot-three and was built much like his father. The biggest difference between the men was that Jr.'s skin was a darker hue, more like that of caramels.

He was also possessed of a strong jawline and blue eyes, which were alert and rarely missed anything. His voice was also gentler than his dad's, with a softer edge to it. He kept his hair cut short and close to his head, like most men of African heritage did. He wore similar getup to his father's, but he wore khakis beneath his coveralls, rather than jeans.

"That's right, son. This here is James, and he's the man that not only flew that beaut to our ship, he also designed it! James, this is my son, Ernie Jr.," Ernie Sr. said by way of introduction and James and Jr. shook hands.

"Ready to get to work?" Sr. asked his son.

"Yeah, but you should head on back to your quarters. Zhade is asking for you," Jr. informed his father. Hearing that, Ernie was pained to have to leave, but knew that he should head on back.

"All right. I'll be back later, but go over the plans and everything we have here. This is a gold mine and it will put us back on top!" Ernie Sr. enthused. "Don't worry about a thing, Jim. You're in good hands."

The older man left just then, heading off to the exit, going deeper into the ship. Both young men watched him go and then turned to face each other when he had left.

"Zhade?" James asked.

"My little sister, who just turned eight not long ago. She loves being with mom, but is a daddy's girl, through and through," Ernie Jr. chuckled.

"Ah! I see! I'm going to take a guess that your mom is a black woman?" James asked tentatively.

"Yeah, she is!" Ernie replied, his mood going sour instantly. "You got a problem with a man who's half black?"

"Take a good look at me Ernie and tell me if you think I would have a problem with it," James told him evenly, trying to calm the man, but also challenging him. Jr. narrowed his eyes and gave James a good look over before his face changed from anger to contrition.

"Damn! Sorry man! At first glance, it's tough to tell that you're not all white," Ernie apologized.

"It's perfectly all right. We've all got shit we deal with, so it's no big deal," James told the man.

"Thanks man! So, I was told that you landed here on the ship and were only a hair's breadth away from being gunned down. But I want to know how you got here, the story of what led you to getting your hands on this plane in the first place," Ernie asked him as he relaxed.

Smirking, James told the same tale to Ernie as he told Captain Greyheart, leaving only his encounters and the money out of the story. Ernie was appalled at the greed and arrogance of the men who had wronged James so grievously. Though he was heartened by his audacity at stealing the plane and was duly impressed with his flying skills. James finished his story and Ernie just sat there, wide eyed and amazed.

"Holy fuck! You've gone through some tough shit, man! I'm surprised that you carried on! That horseshit you went through would have broken lesser men!" Ernie stated.

"Well, thank you for that!" James replied, accepting the compliment gracefully.

"Watch your language, young man!" an authoritative female voice groused. Both men turned immediately to look at the voice's owner and James was again awed by a woman of graceful beauty. Ernie Sr. shadowed her, while he tried to mind a giggling little girl that was going back and forth between him and her mother.

Her skin was darker than Ernie Jr.'s, more like a milk chocolate in hue. She stood at about five-foot-eight, with short and curly dark brown hair and light brown eyes. Her features reminded James of the paintings and portraits he'd seen of various African-American women. Timeless, classical and beautiful. She looked to be close in age to both her son and James rather than older than they were.

She also had the perfect hourglass shape that many women would have killed for, with hips sitting at around forty-two inches around. She also possessed a pair of breasts that were bigger than Captain Greyheart's, but only just at a forty J cup. Having never seen a black woman so beautiful in real life, James was almost instantly smitten with her.

Though he managed to conceal it from the Black men as he introduced herself and Ernie Sr. introduced his wife as Mrs. Raeni Black. Though it was a formal introduction, Raeni brushed it off and told James otherwise.

"Here on this ship, you don't have to call me Mrs. Black. You can call me Mama Rae if you like. I see that you and Jr. are getting on well and that's good to see. I take it we have you to thank for that lovely breakfast we have had this morning then?" she asked him, while minding Zhade, who clutched at her skirts, peeking out from behind them.

"No ma'am. For that, you'll have to thank Ms. Laura Marino, as she was in the galley this morning and was responsible for making it," James told her. "She came with me on the plane when I landed on the airship last night."

"Ah! Well, I will have to thank her for that! Never had a traditional Italian breakfast like that before," she replied, a note of affection in her voice. "So, you're the source of all the hubbub from last night, then? How is it you found yourself here?"

James made to tell the tale, but Jr. told her instead, thinking James could use a break from storytelling. She listened attentively, as did Ernie Sr., having only been told bits and pieces of the whole story. Jr. did a good job of telling it, only making a few minor goofs about how events happened.

"Though I wouldn't use as colorful language as my son likes to use," she said, shooting Ernie Jr. a meaningful glare. "I will agree and say it is a wonder that your spirit hasn't been broken by all that abuse. You are stronger than most men and you will become stronger still. I can always tell strong men from weak ones," she continued, giving her husband a loving look.

"Let me tell you this, James; Do right by the Crimson Sky and they will do right by you. I swear by their honesty, bravery, and loyalty," she finished. With that, the older couple excused themselves to go and take Zhade for some playtime, and to do learning with her. This left James and Ernie Jr. to go over the plans.

Both men engrossed themselves in everything that was to be done. James had some ideas he thought could work with the planes as they were. Ernie was curious if any of the design ideas that were part of James' plane could be incorporated into their fleet. They put their heads together, trying to come up with some viable plans and ideas.

******************************

Laura was helping with the lunch prep when Swoop showed up at the galley, telling her the captain wished to speak with her. Knowing this was coming, she had told Gertrude, and the woman nodded to her when Swoop relayed the message. Doffing her apron, Laura followed the big man back to the officer's deck, and he knocked on the door, announcing their arrival.

"Ms. Marino, here per your request, captain," he said as he opened the door at the captain's invitation.

"Thank you Swoop. That will be all," Michelle told him, dismissing the man with a wave of her hand.

"You wanted to see me, Captain?" Laura asked timidly, intimidated by the older woman who sat in front of her, going over some papers.

"Yes. Please, sit," Michelle gestured kindly. Once Laura sat, Captain Greyheart went into why she had summoned her.

"So, I know of Mr. Brighton's story about how he got here, but I do not know yours. Would you be so kind as to tell me why you left with the man?" she asked.

"Did he not tell you?" Laura asked quizzically.

"He did not. He told me that your story is not his place to tell and that you would be the one to tell me," Michelle clarified.

Laura was happy with James when he took her out of the US and away from her controlling family. Now her respect and admiration for the man skyrocketed as he had respected her privacy enough to not go blabbing to anyone about her past. Smiling, Laura told Captain Greyheart everything about her life. How she had come to be at the airfield, going all the way to where they landed on the airship.

"Quite the tale, young lady! I am even more impressed by how you have handled yourself while in the face of such a patriarchal family!" Michelle said.

"I know you are supposed to be loyal to your blood, but can't a woman make a family of her own that isn't of her blood?" Laura wondered.

"That is why I started this mercenary group. My family was not too unlike yours and I wanted no part in their plans for me," Captain Greyheart stated evenly. Laura looked at the woman with a newfound sense of respect and knew her to be a kindred spirit.

"So, we are not that much different after all, are we?" Laura asked.

"I suppose we are not, considering how you've had James as well," Michelle said with a naughty smirk.

"Wha... how did you..." Laura started, and Michelle laughed.

"It was plain as day on your face when you stepped in front of the bosun to spare him being shot. That and the fact that you told us of his flying instructor, who is a man I respect, you all but told us you were bedding the man," Michelle giggled.

"So, you have..." Laura didn't finish the question.

"Yes, I did. Is there a problem with that?" the captain asked, her eyes narrowing.

"No! I'm just surprised that you allowed him to..." Laura went on, feeling a bit bashful.

"There's nothing to feel embarrassed about, Laura. In fact, I find it is good you have had him. He's not a selfish lover, is he?" she chuckled.

"No, he is not," Laura admitted, feeling a little bolder.

"Was he your first?" Michelle asked, curious about the girl's shyness.

"Si, he was, and it was magical!" Laura said proudly, then flushed at her brazen statement.

"Then the man who will be your husband has a lot to live up to, doesn't he?" Michelle asked with a knowing smile.

"Yes, he does!" Laura admitted.

"So, how about we compare notes on the man, then? We're both women who know what we want and what we like," Michelle asked her.

"Si! So we can better understand ourselves and what we want from men..." Laura began to say.

"... so that we may drive them insane with desire," Michelle finished with a smirk. Giggling, both women put their heads together. They chattered about what they loved and what they wanted, starting with James and going from there. The more they talked, the more these two women realized they had in common.

******************************

After nearly an hour of working, James stood up and stretched, working the kinks out of his muscles. He walked around the office to get his blood flowing, while thinking over his ideas. His mind then wandered to what was said earlier, about what Raeni Black had told him about the Crimson Sky. He voiced his concern over what she had said, asking Ernie his question.

"Your mom said something about doing right by the Crimson Sky and that you guys would do right by me. What did she mean about that? I got the feeling that there was a story there that she wasn't saying anything about."

"Mom always has a penchant for understatement. Since I know your story and that you're no sympathizer with the US, I think it's only fair you know our story," Ernie said.

"It all started, back when my parents met, during the civil rights rallies in the early thirties. Oddly enough, they were on the same side, wanting proper and equal rights for everyone. Since they went to several rallies and stood toe to toe against the Klan, they were drawn to each other," Ernie told him.

"Back then, interracial marriages were still prohibited, so they found a sympathetic priest who married them in secret. That was early in thirty-five, as I was born a little over ten months later. They continued their fight, while trying to get proper jobs and bring me up, until the war broke out."

"My dad was called in to serve and mom was pulled in to work at an artillery factory. It was tough, with my dad not being around, but we managed. Mom made enough from the factory to provide for both her and I, but even then, things were tight. But that didn't prevent us from living life and hoping and praying that dad would come home to us," Ernie went on, his voice taking a nostalgic note.

"It was fun enough, growing up outside of Columbia, North Carolina. Though there was a lot of racism, some white kids I played with didn't show that kind of nonsense. We frequently got letters from dad, telling us how he was doing. He did well for himself as a soldier; got promoted up all the way to Command Sergeant Major. We were so proud of him and there was talk of him going for officer's training. That was before the summer of forty-eight though."

"Dad did finally get back, but things were going crazy by then, with the secession being called for. My parents got swept up in the riots of forty-eight, the both of them standing for the secession. During the riot, they got separated and mom wound up getting arrested. We found out later that they bogus and trumped-up charges. The cops just wanted an excuse to lock up blacks," Ernie said, his voice going bitter.

"We found out that mom was OK, but in lock up. Because of what was happening, the local cops and the governor wanted to make examples of the ethnic races. They severely beat several people and a few of them died from their injuries. Dad found where mom was being held and tried to petition for her release," Ernie said, remembering a painful memory.

"Dad tried to use everything he could to get mom out of lockup, but even his status as a decorated war veteran didn't do much. His pleas fell on deaf ears and neither of us were allowed to even see her. But, because of my dad's service, they allowed us to write letters to her, and we wrote every day."

"When the Exodus happened in forty-nine, mom told us to go to the Republic, to find a better life. We were reluctant to go, but mom was insistent that we do it, because there was no life for me in the US. Despite being the son of decorated war hero, most people still viewed me as a half-breed stain on his name. So, we left, but we kept writing back and forth, keeping the line of communication alive," Ernie told him.

"Wait, the US allows correspondence from Council Lands and the Republic?!?" James interrupted, surprised at this.

"Yeah. Even though they're not on the friendliest terms, they allow mail in and out. The mail that comes in from the Republic and Council lands is screened regularly. It is a pain in the ass, but at least we could still talk to mom. A couple years later, dad got us signed on with the Crimson Sky and we've been with them since. We worked with them for years and amassed a fair amount of money, hoping it would be enough to pay mom's fine."

"On one of our earlier jobs for the US, we got a letter from mom, which seemed cryptic. It was only after dad got rid of all the nonsense in the letter that he found out what she was trying to say. While she was in prison, she learned she was pregnant and had given birth to a baby girl, Zhade."

"Right after she was born, they took away the baby from her and placed her in an orphanage. She didn't know if Zhade had survived, but she begged us to look for her. One guard, who was always kind to her, let her know which orphanage Zhade was placed in. Captain Greyheart was kind enough to grant us enough leave time to get her."

"The matron of the orphanage where we had found her was a kindly old woman who did everything she could to look after the children in her care. Zhade was alive, and we were so grateful that we had found her when we did! The matron had told us she was retiring soon and that many of the children there would be relocated to other orphanages, where she was sure they would be treated badly. Many of the children there were mixed like us, and few families there would willingly take them."

"Captain Greyheart balked at the idea, but she had enough of a heart to arrange for the children to get out of the US. We had to go through official channels for Zhade though and dad burned every favor he had just to get her passage out of the US. Because of our status as mercenaries, it allowed us to take Zhade out because she was dad's daughter. If it was anyone else, they would not have allowed it. The rest of the children and the kindly matron, we smuggled them out, with no one thinking we were involved."

"How did you do that?" James asked, awestruck.

"Let's just say there were folks in the Underground who were looking to help these children and offered their services. Recently though, we got another letter from mom, with another cipher in it. It detailed that she was being frequently accosted by the assistant warden of the prison."

"The bastard was a pig, and he had been trying to corner my mother since she got in. He supposedly had a thing for black women and had wanted her since he saw her. We learned it was him who had given the order to disallow us any form of visitation. The only man who could have overridden him was the warden, but since he'd done it to many other prisoners, there was no suspicion for that action," Ernie said, anger edging his voice.

"In the letter, she told us it was because of a certain faction among the guards and the warden himself that kept the bastard from doing anything to her. But that would end soon, as the warden was retiring by the year's end. Many of the good guards were also replaced by the assistant warden, one by one, over the years. Mom's time was running short."

"We'd tried contacting the warden himself several times over the years, but all communications were directed and handled by the assistant warden. We got lucky and Crimson Sky secured a contract for the US, patrolling the eastern seaboard. We used this time to plan out what we needed to do, to break mom out," Ernie continued dramatically.