Winter Workers

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Ahha... hehehe. By the powers of the moon and the sun, that was an experience!" Mikansu giggled. She leaned back against him, and her paw brushed against his as it rested over her torso. "That was fun. We could have been doing this months ago. I wish I'd asked you earlier. But then again, all that anticipation made it even better, I think? What do you think?"

Anori just groaned. "Mnrahh..."

"Ahaha. Yeah, I think you enjoyed that too." Mikansu let out a happy sigh, but then suddenly Anori felt her tense up. Raising her head, she bumped her snout against his. "Uh, hmm. Anori? Look at that."

Anori blinked his eyes open and tried to get his thoughts straight. The first thing he saw was Mikansu's face, which was a nice thing to see. "You're so pretty. I'm not supposed to say that because its unprofessional, but I like your face."

That made her laugh again. "Hah, why thank you! I like your face too." Mikansu licked Anori's snout, but then her gaze sharpened and she peered up. "Look at that, though."

Anori turned his gaze upwards. A whirling vortex of magical energy was rising upwards, gradually spreading out into huge waves of colour that covered the whole sky. The magic continued to rise upwards until it reached the storm, where it caused branching bolts of lightning to arc through the clouds in its wake.

Finally the vortex passed beyond even the upper atmosphere, and in majestic silence all that energy exploded into wispy, slowly pulsing waves of green energy that filled the night sky, occasionally showing red shades too. Aurorae weren't normally visible at this latitude, but they'd blasted out so much raw magical power that the night sky had been set alight.

"Wow. Did we do that?" Then Anori realized something else--the sky shouldn't have been visible at all. They should have only seen the stone ceiling of the shrine, but now they could see sky and clouds and trees. "The shrine is damaged."

The shrine was more than damaged, it was demolished. The magical outburst had blown apart the simple structure, and its constituent stone bricks were now scattered all around the field.

"Ahahah, whoops," Mikansu muttered. She didn't sound apologetic at all. "What an evening."

Anori tried to get to his feet, but then he found he was still joined at the hips to Mikansu--his erection was still rigid and throbbing, while her groin muscles clenched down on him--in typical canine form, neither of them was going anywhere for a while. Nature wanted him to stay here for a while longer, and make absolutely sure that he'd bred his mate.

Mikansu let out an unhappy grunt when his movements tugged on that point of contact. "Noooo, hey don't do that."

"Sorry." Lying down again, Anori hugged Mikansu's body against his. Admittedly it was extremely comfortable to feel her warmth against his body, as her fur brushed against his. "What was that last big spell you did? The one that used all that magical power?"

"My spell? It wasn't my spell. It was our spell, and oh, Anori, I think you know exactly what we did," Mikansu happily replied.

With a grunt, Anori bumped his snout against Mikansu's neck. "That's a vague response..."

"Hahaha. That was a taste of the oldest, most primitive form of magic--the one that existed before all others, before anything else--creative magic."

"Creative magic?"

"Yes. You must know the story?"

"I know many stories. Which one do you refer to?"

Mikansu laughed, contented but amused. "The first story, the story of life. Once upon a time, the world was nothing but dead, formless chaos. But then from that vast field of lifelessness emerged a tiny portion of perfectly ordered pattern. And that pattern was special for it could replicate and creating more pattern like itself. With vast speed it spread across the chaos and filled it, but in doing so the perfect order became impossible, and the pattern turned against itself. Different patterns emerged and competed against each other, growing ever more complex and capable, adapting and balancing to the everchanging environment. Living, reproducing, dying--again and again and again. Forever it will continued, never to end! The cycle turns eternal."

Mikansu went still, and her voice got lower. "That is the grand game. All are in it, yet none can ever win. The best you can earn is a chance for a fragment of your own pattern to continue in the next round. Those who choose not to play lose by default, and their pattern will be lost to time. Be productive, or be forgotten."

There came a long moment of thick silence. Anori blinked. He wasn't sleepy anymore. "People say Winter is the dark season, all about death and coldness, but I've never heard any Winter spirit get that existential! Is that what Spring spirits think about? Goodness."

"Ok that might just be me. Most of the... fertility and productiveness of spring is just down to needy, horny instinct. Animals don't think about legacy, they just do what they want, and what they want is to hump each other." Mikansu's tail flicked, brushing against Anori. "And I did, or do, very much want you to hump me."

Anori was still thinking. "Generative magic. So you mean... we... we just..."

"Oh yes. Yes we did! You and me, Anori. You and me." Mikansu let out a pleased sigh. "Ahhh, Anorrrri. I like saying your name. It's fun to drag out. Or to moan. Haha," she giggled, then looked thoughtful. "How many do you think there'll be?"

"How many what?" Anori asked.

"How many in the litter of pups we just had the pleasure of making."

"Oh." Now that lust no longer dominated his mind, Anori felt a sense of deep clarity and perspective. Had he just, with no planning or even real consideration, decided to breed Mikansu and create new life with her? Hopefully he wouldn't come to regret this. Currently all he felt was a sense of warm, relaxed, lovely affection for Mikansu as they lay together. That was surely another mammalian trick--flood the brain with happy chemicals to make him emotionally bond with his new mate--not that Anori minded at all. He'd spent a year with Mikansu, working with her in various places as Winter swept around the world, but now their relationship was becoming something else.

Mikansu took his paw and moved it to the flat of her belly. "Have you done this before?"

Anori bit his tongue and shook his head. "In the last ice age, I did pair up with lesser spirits several times." Things had been simpler back then--he had been a much less powerful spirit, barely past the threshold for even being a greater spirit. Acting like an animal had been easier than it was now. "I've sired a few litters of lesser spirits, but never any greater spirits."

"Yeah, I'm the same. Had a litter of lesser spirits once, but this shall be a first for the both of us, because I want to make some greater spirits. How many children do you want? The spell isn't fully set yet. I can push the number, within reason."

Anori thought about it. Raising a lesser spirit was even easier than raising a normal animal--a lesser spirit had the body and the instincts of an animal, but with an added dose of rudimentary intelligence and magic that made them all the more quickly independent and survivable. But a greater spirit carried true intelligence and wild magic, and that required proper, slow nurturing. "I'm not sure. Maybe we should have talked about it before... before all the sex."

Mikansu let out a bark of laughter. "Hah. We're talking about it now. Sometimes you just need to kick off a project before you get into all the planning and details. And we burned a lot of power in that creative spell, so there is potential. In Spring, for spirits with a wolf form, not a dog or dire wolf form, the all-time record is twenty-five in a single litter."

Anori let out a choked cough. "Ahkkem. How would that even...?" He briefly had a mental image of him and Mikansu being surrounded by a swarm of little, barking wolf pups. "No, no that's far too many."

Mikansu nodded. "I concur. Cause if we push the number too high, it'll spread the magic out thinly and some might end up being lesser spirits, or not even spirits at all. I want greater spirits. Average litter size is maybe... four to eight? I feel like with four or five, I could guarantee most of them are greater spirits."

"It's not just about what our magic can do, it's about what we can do. Since neither of us has done this before, how about we start with a smaller number?" Anori countered. "How about just one pup--one new greater spirit, for us to raise together?"

Mikansu shook her head. "Not just one! Three? We haven't raised greater spirits, but we've both done lesser spirits before. Surely it shouldn't be that much harder?"

"Are you sure?" Anori made eye contact with Mikansu. "We're making greater spirits. They could very well end up smarter than us, with more magic than us. Is it a good idea to be outnumbered?"

"Now you're making me feel like for all my Spring experience, maybe I still don't know enough..." Mikansu muttered. "Ok, two. Two pups for our first litter then. Then if they both act mischievous and run off, you can chase after one, while I chase after the other. And if this works out... maybe another litter in time?"

"Now that's a plan."

It was calm and quiet for a while. Aurorae continued to dance across the night sky, partially obscured by grey clouds that sent snowflakes drifting slowly downwards. Then Mikansu spoke again. "Should we fix the shrine?"

Anori waved a paw and tried to use a repair spell, but the various stone bricks barely shifted from where they lay scattered across the snowy field. He shrugged. "Wheysiu dikialo... Eh, whatever. The shrine wasn't in use anyway."

Mikansu laughed. "That's probably the first time I've ever heard you say whatever. So casual! Are you out of magic? You really spent it all for me? Inside me..."

"I'm not out of magic. I'm just... a little low on willpower right now."

Mikansu looked pleased. She reached a paw back and patted Anori on the neck. "Aww, did I mate you so good that I knocked the workaholic trait out of you?"

"Maybe temporarily. I think I really like you." Anori sighed, and he hugged Mikansu against his body as the two Winter workers relaxed together. "Cuddling is also nice."

"Mhh, yes." That peaceful, pleasant moment stretched for a little longer, but then Mikansu suddenly perked up and raised her head. "Did you see that?" she murmured.

Anori had not, but before he could even say anything, there was a flutter of white wings. A snowy owl flew over the demolished remnants of the shrine and landed on the one portion of wall which was still standing. "Frozen fractal flakes of snow, what on earth happened here!?" hooted the owl. With her large yellow eyes she surveyed the surroundings, before her gaze fell upon the two wolf spirits. "Who's that over there? Who's been messing around here? The whole shrine is gone! And there are aurorae across half the continent. What happened?!"

Mikansu lowered her head and tried to hide behind Anori, who was in between the owl spirit and her. Anori recognized the owl as one of their fellow greater spirits of Winter--but he wasn't sure how to respond. With Mikansu it had felt comfortable and easy to let his formal professionalism slip away so they could just talk, but with someone else, it suddenly felt embarrassing to get caught like this.

The owl flapped over and landed on a closer piece of stone brick. "Haikron, is that you? No, wait, Anori! You of all people...? What was that huge burst of power earlier? Did you do that? And hey now, hold on a moment, is that Mikansu with you? What have you two been doing--?"

Anori shared a glance at Mikansu, and they both nodded. "Let's get out of here," Mikansu murmured.

"Good idea." Ignoring several pointed questions from the owl, Anori pulled open a portal around himself and Mikansu, and in an instant they were elsewhere.

---

A few weeks later...

Anori paced around nervously in the snow. He had been putting off this conversation, but now the time had come for them to confess. "I hope he doesn't mind. The Winter Lord has always been very understanding, but all the Winter spirits are so busy that I feel a little guilty about this."

Mikansu was sitting leisurely on large flat rock nearby, and she peered upwards at the clear blue, cloudless winter sky. "Don't feel bad. You know this is standard protocol, right? I checked with Branos. There's a leave entitlement for this."

"Well of course it won't be very practical for you to keep working when the moment comes, but for me--"

Mikansu shook her head. "I get maternity leave, but you get paternity leave too."

Anori blinked. "Wait, really? Then... how come no one ever seems to takes it?"

"Are you asking me how come the greater spirits of Winter never seem to get each other pregnant? I really don't know. Maybe everyone's just too busy? Cause it isn't for a lack of sexual desire. Have you seen how much time Siga and Kamilia spend with each other? There's some serious sexual tension between them."

"Kamilia? He's Siga's aide, so of course they spend a lot of time together. And yes I agree they work well together, but they wouldn't... wait, or would they?"

Mikansu smiled a wolfish grin. "And you were only supposed to teach me how to be a Winter spirit, but we worked so well together that..." Letting her voice trail off, she patted a paw against her belly. Today her fur was a pale white colour that matched Anori's coat. And though her physical form showed no obvious signs of it, things were happening.

Anori didn't think any of the other greater spirits had noticed yet, only him, but buried deep in the bright raging fire of Mikansu's magical energy was a barely noticeable distortion. There was this tiny bit that was part of her, but not fully her, because it was part of him too. The seed had been planted, and that miniscule spark of life was now smouldering. They'd done that, together.

"Oh yes." Anori felt a flush of warm affection, and he walked over to touch his snout against hers. Mikansu darted out her tongue to lick him, which quickly become a proper kiss.

But then came the flap of large wings, and the Winter Lord flew over the treeline and landed in the snowy field beside them. The downdraft from the ice dragon's wings kicked up enough snow to obscure how the two winter spirits had been embracing each other.

"Winter Lord!" Turning towards Lord Hazak, Anori bent his forelimbs and bowed his head, while Mikansu hopped up from her rock and stood beside him.

"Hello, hello! Sorry I'm late, my last meeting ran overtime," said Hazak. He smiled warmly at the two wolves. "Anori, Mikansu, good to see you two again. I do so enjoy chatting with my greater spirits. But this time you said there was something important to discuss?"

"There is a personal matter that we need to inform you of."

"Yes?" Hazak prompted.

"I just thought you should know that..." Anori drew a deep breath, then he gestured to the wolf spirit beside him. "Mikansu and I are in a relationship. Not just the usual co-worker relationship, that is. Personal. I mean romantic."

Hazak didn't look as surprised as Anori had been expecting. "That's good."

"Is it good?" Anori asked. Then he quickly added, "Uh, yes! Yes it's good for me. And her. Us."

Mikansu was less professional about it. "Damn right it's good. I'm taking Anori. He's mine now."

Hazak laughed. "Good for you two, then. You both always worked so well together--I can't say I'm surprised that this happened. May you bring each other happiness." A wry grin crossed the ice dragon's face. "So when will you be making some new greater spirits?" he teasingly asked them.

"Ah. About that..." Anori muttered.

Mikansu wagged her tail. "We're way ahead of you on that. Speaking of which, Anori and I will need to take a hiatus from Winter after this continent's season."

Now Hazak did looked surprised. He frowned at both Winter spirits, then he focused his gaze on Mikansu, peering at her spirit form, and he also saw that tiny distortion in her magical energy. "I see. That is... that's incredible news. Congratulations! Of course you have my full support to take your leave from work responsibilities. I was going to assign you two as forward vanguard again for our next move to the eastern hemisphere, but no worries. Wow... I'm impressed. Congratulations again. Do you mind if make an announcement about this to the other greater spirits during the next weekly meeting? Just to keep them informed."

"Heh. Let them all know." Leaning over, Mikansu placed a sloppy, affectionate lick right on Anori's snout--he flinched a little from how unprofessional it was to do that right in front of the Winter Lord, but Hazak looked amused.

"You two really do set the example for what our greater spirits should do." Hazak nodded to them both. "How long will you be on hiatus? Three months? Six?"

Anori spoke up. "We'd like one year, if the season can make do without us."

Mikansu smirked. "It will make do."

"Quite right--we will," Hazak agreed. "Take the time you need. But just make sure that you do come back to Winter, yes? Don't go transferring off to another season..." He waved a paw at Mikansu. "We need you both here. Don't you dare steal Anori over to Spring!" he said jokingly.

Mikansu nodded earnestly. "I've had enough of Spring--the pollen makes me sneeze. I really like it here. Winter is cool and quiet. And there aren't many people, but everyone's friendly."

Anori smiled. "We'll be back next year. We won't follow you when you when Winter moves off to the eastern hemisphere, but we'll rejoin you next year when Winter comes again to the northern continent here. Both of two and, hopefully, a few more little sprits."

"I look forward to meeting them," Hazak said, and he dipped his head in a low, respectful bow towards them. "Do keep in touch!"

---

Two wolf spirits darted through the forest, weaving around tree trunks and leaping over gnarled roots. Red and orange leaves were littered across the ground, shed from tree branches which were now bare, but the two spirits paid little attention to their surroundings as they ran. One wolf was chasing the other, playfully nipping at the other's tail--but then in another moment it was the other wolf spirit chasing the first one, as they both enjoyed the simple pleasure of speed.

Suddenly they came into a forest clearing and almost ran headfirst into another creature--a large moose had been nibbling on the bark from a tree, but the abrupt appearance of two small wolves made it hurriedly lift its head, showing off an impressive rack of antlers.

The wolf spirits were just as startled and they hurriedly came to a stop, with one wolf crashing into the other's side. By comparison, the huge moose made it all the more apparent how small the wolves were--they were young, tiny creatures, barely more than puppies. They hadn't even reached the stage of having a lanky, adolescent, half-adult appearance. They were just pups, and even a large fox could have outsized either of them.

"Ow!" yelped one of the wolf pups, as his sister crashed into him.

"Hey!" grumbled his sibling. "Watch it!"

"You watch it!" A squabbling playfight would have broken out, if not for the moose's presence.

Regardless of their tiny size and the consequent lack of threat posed, the moose still reacted defensively. "Grrrah!" With a loud grunt, it lowered its head to display its antlers and took a few quick steps forward. It wasn't a true charge, only a show of might, but it was enough to make the wolves flee.