Witch of the Wild Woods Ch. 04

Story Info
The Twins arrive at the camp, bathroom encounter.
2.5k words
4.37
5k
1

Part 5 of the 10 part series

Updated 06/09/2023
Created 11/03/2018
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Chapter 4 - Ashes of American Flags

They were deep in the trees now. Two hours into seldom touched wilderness that ran alongside a river. Highway 503 turned into an ever more lonesome road on that last stretch toward Spirit Lake. Nearly a hundred miles of dense, scenic woods toward one of the most deadly active volcanoes along the ring of fire. Sure, it had been decades since tons of ash had been thrown up into the air. That didn't make their destination any less dangerous.

Luna had the window down in the passenger seat. Her monthly 'gift' didn't lend itself to comfortable travel. She'd loosened Lane's pair of blue jeans she was still wearing and reclined in the passenger seat watching the rays of afternoon light sift through the trees, strobing across the empty highway.

"Did you read about the guy who died here during the eruption?" Luna asked, massaging herself. Her face scrunched up, fighting back the pain.

Lane kept his eyes on the road, "Yeah, I think a few dozen people died when it erupted back in the eighties. Did you mean someone specifically?"

Luna nodded, groaned, "There was this one man, Harry something, in his late eighties. He refused to evacuate as the lava came down the mountain side. Kinda makes you wonder, huh?" There was pain in her words, not just from the cramps, the motion-sickness, or bloating. A deeper sorrow hung in the air that neither of the Twins would fully understand until much later.

"I suppose, if there wasn't anything left..." Lane considered. He watched the lonesome road while the words rolled around in his mind. He watched a mental picture of the man staying behind with his house and worldly possessions as molten lava gradually made its way toward him. As the ash fell. Unbearable heat. Suffocation. It wasn't an easy or quick way to die. Lane's parents had reminded him again that material goods were never more valuable than any one person's life. Even the memories attached to valuable trinkets weren't really a part of the item itself. Any memories were locked away in the individual's mind, or soul if there was such a thing. Lane grimaced. He pitied the man who died for stuff and chose not to save himself. It was a despairing reality.

Luna groaned, "There's always something left to discover. The man had no hope. He'd forgotten that tomorrow always comes."

Lane scoffed, "That's funny."

Still massaging her stomach, Luna countered, "No. That's the truth."

"No, I mean, 'Tomorrow always comes,' is almost the exact opposite of what Uncle Dan told me this morning while you were... Busy." Lane caught himself. They'd lived with each other long enough that there was a quiet, respectable dance around openly talking about sexual partners. More often than not however Luna was the one who tap danced right on the line. Lane himself kept more of a healthy distance away from that subject.

"You two were talking behind my back?" She tried to force a wink, but ended up scowling through another bout of cramps.

"No, not directly. When we saw the black wolf-" Lane bit his tongue.

"Wolf? What wolf?" Luna asked in a near growl. Lane drummed on the steering wheel, hesitant to answer. Luna insisted, "Ursa Major?"

"I don't wanna break my promise," Lane spat out. He kept his eyes on the road, the pines, the blue sky obscured behind the branches reaching over the road. He couldn't look at his sister. He knew, he felt her disappointment and the guilt that came rolling behind it.

A moment of silence passed between them.

"You saw another creature, like the one on the shore didn't you?" Luna whispered.

More silence filled their jeep.

With both their windows down, wind rushed through their hair. Crows cawed in the distance. Forest creatures chittered unseen in the woods. The mix of invisible sound and pressing visible stillness all around them was unsettling, lonely, foreboding.

Luna's judgement continued to hang as a knife in the air.

"Uncle Dan speculated that wolf and the leopard, or whatever they really were, might be an omen," Lane started, he waited for his sister to chime in, but the unsettling silence remained. "Working hypothesis: it's on us to live in the moment and not worry about the future. I made a promise. I'm keeping it. We're on vacation. No mysteries. No missions. Just us taking our time--"

Luna reached over and grabbed Lane's hand. She gave it a soft squeeze. That was all he needed to feel reassured that whatever doom was headed their way, they'd tackle it together just as they always had.

"Looks like we're here," Luna said quietly.

A weathered oak sign pointed toward a nearly invisible driveway in the thick line of pine trees off the main road. Turning left from the two lane highway, the orange Jeep tumbled over well worn asphalt. Being conscious not to jostle the Jeep too much because of Luna's state, Lane carefully manoeuvred forward between the pines into a bus-sized archway of overgrown trees and brush.

They made their way up a modest incline and found themselves at a fork in the road. To their left a branching gravel road wound deeper into thick woods, seemingly to nowhere. A line of mailboxes suggested private residences. In the centre of the fork was a small pond with a model lighthouse floating on a pontoon. Their destination lie to the right. Standing on either side of the road were two massive black oak totem poles with a sign that arched high over the road; "Welcome to Trillion Pines Youth Camp."

Lane studied the carvings and felt a chill run up his spine. From the base to the top intricate and surreal depictions of a leopard, a wolf, and a lion all stood intertwined together. At the top of either pool, the animals held up women that appeared half deer, half human. Each Deer Woman held their arms outstretched to hold up the carved welcome sign.

"She's got a nice rack," Luna scoffed.

Lane raised an eyebrow.

With a pained chuckle she pointed, "Of antlers?"

"Sure," Lane admitted and rolled the jeep forward under the sign, into the camp.

The asphalt road snaked upwards at a steady incline. It was a few minutes before they saw any visible clearing in the dense mess of trees and brush. Off to their left, an empty football field sized with a steep downward slope could be seen. There were chalk marks along the edges at random intervals. In all actuality it probably was just a football field, albeit one that heavily favoured one side over the other. On the opposite side of the road, directly across from the sloped field, Luna pointed to an asphalt clearing with a row of bathrooms.

They drove a few minutes more and finally came to an open clearing. Another fork, another sign, and a welcomed absence of creepy animal totems. If they continued forward the road took a sharp upward incline into more thick woods. To the left however, was the first semblance of civilization. The left path dipped down into a horseshoe like cul-de-sac; most likely a drop off for buses full of campers. At the base of the horseshoe was a large, log cabin. There was a distinct blend of modern and western heritage styles in the design of the massive meeting space; large glass windows, stone brickwork along the base and thick cedar support pillars lining the forward deck.

No sign of life on the premises.

To the left of the main cabin was an infirmary and post office. The building was one fourth the size of the main cabin, but of similar design. On their right sat an odd, two story wood building that resembled two Dutch Brothers Coffee drive-thrus stacked on top of one another. An unlit neon sign indicated it was the "Snack-Shack," and a metal posting above it was labelled, "Staff Lounge."

The Twins parked the Jeep in front of the main cabin and let it idle. Lane checked his watch, they were only an hour early. Other than the occasional crow or breeze flowing through the towering pines, there was not a soul to be seen or heard. Reluctantly, Lane cut the engine and opened the door. His feet stepped onto the gravel driveway and crunched toward a circular flower garden across from the Main Lodge. A bronze bell with a large crack running down its side sat in the centre among several burnt lilies that failed to bloom. A bronze plaque and inscription sat at the base of the bell...

"Arise, arise, arise, arise, and lift your spirits to the skies. Gift your flesh to the earth, and upon your climax shall I pull you into my depths. Ring, ring, ring, ring, together we shall sing and conclude our dance around the stars." - Xwa'ni Creed (Cowlitz Tribe, 1805)

Luna clicked her tongue and cocked her head, "Don't think I've heard that one before." Lane tapped his temple. An old habit: taking a mental snapshot of the inscription.

Before adding another rye remark, Luna doubled over and groaned.

Lane rushed to his sister's side but his concern was waved off, "I'm fine."

"Luna, the infirmary is twenty paces to our left. Let's at least get someBenadryl or Midol in you," Lane urged, trying to help his sister to her feet.

Again she insisted, "How about you find the meds and I rest here by the Jeep? Right here on the ground is great. Not moving. Not moving sounds like a good idea."

Lane nodded and sprinted over to the infirmary. He hadn't even reached the door when it was clear there wasn't any sign of anyone inside; no lights and a thick layer of soot and dust caked the exterior windows.

Pivoting on his heels, Lane called back to Luna, "I'm gonna try the staff lounge."

Luna offered a pitiful thumbs up and climbed into the passenger seat of the Jeep.

Much the same as the infirmary, everything was dark, locked, and appeared abandoned. He'd also made a quick circle around the Main Lodge to no avail. In the back of his mind Lane knew his sister would be fine. This wasn't her first period. He'd been there for that. In perspective, she was mildly inconvenienced at best. Whether it was being this far out in the wilderness, the eerie stillness, or lack of humanity, panic still sunk its claws in Lane.

Coming around to the front of the Main Lodge once more, Lane remembered his standard operating procedure. Start at the edges, dummy. He scanned his surroundings. He took a breath and embraced the unsettling emptiness of the woods. Sure enough, there was a sign post to the side of the staff lounge he'd overlooked. Several boards and arrows pointing to their respective dirt trails...

"Boys' Barracks - Southwest Trail"

"Potter's Lake Field - East Trail"

"Girls' Barracks - Southeast Trail"

"Staff Cabins - Western Trail"

"Upper field, Low Ropes, High Ropes - North West Trail"

Staff Cabins. Surely somebody had to have arrived before them. At the very least, there'd be evidence of where the rest of the staff might be meeting. Lane jogged along the white dirt drail lined with rocks and small solar powered foot lanterns intermittently jutting out of the soil on either side. A quarter-mile later and he'd arrived at a complex of five, grey, rustic cabins.

Five grotty wooden steps led up to a raised deck. There five humble three-man cabins stood along with a sixth building directly across from him. In comparison to the faded-grey bunk houses, the sixth building appeared brand new; warm cedar siding, fresh paint, stone foundation. Steam wafted out from a cracked window as Lane approached the new cabin marked, "Bathhouse."

Lane crossed the length of the grey deck as the floorboards creaked underfoot. He heard running water. His hand out and tapped the door. Unlocked. The heavy cedar door gave way without a creek and a wall of steam poured out into Lane's face.

As the steam cleared, there was a clear stylistic shift from neglected Western American architecture to culturally appropriated Japanese. This bathhouse was an elaborately decorated and furnished onsen complete with personal bathing stations, an 'L' shaped hot pool in the upper right corner and a bank of private toilets in the opposite corner. An elaborate black and white wrap around tile mural depicted tree branches reaching out like arms toward the same Deer Woman that stood guard outside the Trillion Pines Gates.

"Are you here to help me?" asked a silvery, pained voice that floated up from the bath.

Lane's previously panicked mind immediately shifted gears into rescue mode. Someone was in trouble and needed help.

"Yes. I can help. Stay calm. Can you describe what's wrong? Are you injured?" Lane spoke calmly, on script, the first aid and water rescue training that was beaten into him played back with perfect synchronicity. It wasn't until Lane caught sight of the girl reclining in the bath that his well played record skipped a beat.

Pale white skin, silvery hair that went down past firm, honeydew breasts. A petite frame that was neither too athletic or visibly unfit. Natural, unshaven... Eye up! Her long silver locks floated around her head like a neutron star.

Lane cleared his throat. Stick to the script; "Are you in any pain?"

She gasped. "I've been marked."

Lane kicked off his boots and waded into the hot tub. The water was scolding, but he approached the girl cautiously, checking for wounds, gashes, slits... Stop staring, you idiot and get to work! Lane forced himself back to his script; "Miss, my name is Lane Woods, I'm certified water rescue and first aid, I'm going to help you out of the tub."

"Lane," She repeated, reaching up for him with both arms.

Lane paused, "Before I move you, does it hurt to move your neck, arms, legs?"

"I've been marked. I need your help," She repeated, making more of an effort to reach out to Lane. Her wet lips parted. Eyes dilated with radiant blue rings around blown out pupils.

Okay, Lane thought, She's Bending at the waist. She was able to move her head. No visible surface lacerations. Lane made the call, a spinal injury seemed unlikely. Her speech was slowed, dazed. Easier to assess someone if they don't drown. Drugs? Maybe a concussion?

Lane made the call and reached down to lift the girl. She barely weighed anything at all. Carefully he lifted the young girl out of the shallow pool and gently set her on the cedar deck. "I'm going to find some towels to get you dry. Where are your clothes--" Lane was about to climb out of the pool himself, but was pulled back by the girl as her arms and feet wrapped around his waist.

"Please, I need your help. I'm marked," The girl whispered as she brought her wet, wanting lips to meet Lane's.