Within Pt. 05

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Isabelle." Bernie stood as they entered. "I'm sorry. This must be difficult for both of you. But I know the queen and if prince Alasdair wishes to return to this realm I'm sure she can be convinced."

"She has softened with time then?" Alasdair asked. He turned to Isabelle. "When I came to this realm last time I went against her wishes."

"You definitely paid the price your highness." Bernie said softly and sank down onto the chair.

"And was rewarded handsomely for my willfulness." Alasdair kissed Isabelle's cheek then nudged her towards the table. She blushed under his gaze and took her seat.

"So then." Alasdair sat and turned to Bernie. "What of Haelan? Did he finally take a mate?"

"That is a sad turn of events." Bernie set his fork aside. "He did indeed take a mate. A lovely highborn lass with golden hair and sweet disposition. She died giving birth a few years into their union." Isabelle stifled a cry. Alasdair closed his eyes. "Twins are very difficult for faerie." He looked at Isabelle with sympathy in his gray eyes.

"Did the children survive?" Alasdair asked.

"Yes." Bernie smiled. "He has two strong son's who are the spitting image of their father." He looked at Isabelle. "They've left a trail of broken hearts across the realm."

"They must take after their father." Alasdair laughed. "My brother has always been a free spirit."

"He sounds a lot like his older brother." Isabelle smiled at him. She gave up trying to eat and picked up her plate to take it to the sink. Instead of going back to the table she cleaned up the pots and tidied up around the kitchen. She was so lost in thought she didn't notice that the men had finished their meal and conversation until Bernie brought the plates to the sink.

"Thanks," she said softly. The older man patted her shoulder gently.

"I'm sorry that I upset you," he said softly. She shook her head.

"It's okay." She smiled sadly. "I know I can't keep him here."

"Surely something can be worked out." He gave her a little squeeze. She frowned. "I'm going to head home." He held up his hand when she opened her mouth to protest. "Why don't you take tomorrow off?"

"Are you sure?" She smiled.

"Of course. I'll be fine on my own for the day."

The small group walked to the front door and Bernie left the lovers with a smile and a wave. Isabelle closed the door with a little sigh. Alasdair took her by the shoulders and turned her. She immediately wrapped her arms around his waist. He pulled her close and rested his cheek on her hair.

"Lass," he murmured. "Come upstairs. We will spend the rest of the evening making love." She shook her head. "You don't want to make love with me? Stars, have my charms finally failed me?" She giggled and squeezed him.

"No, you're just as gorgeous as the first night I saw you," she whispered.

"Then why are you refusing me?"

"I'm not. It's just—"

"Not tonight my love." He reached out and flipped off the light. "Tonight is for us. Tomorrow we will think about my summons."

"But—" She looked up at him. He smiled and reached down to catch her knees with his arm. She laughed as he pulled her to his chest and nuzzled her neck. He carried her to the kitchen and looked at the light switch. She obediently flipped it off. That earned her a kiss that lingered as he marched to the stairs.

*************

The summons appeared late in the afternoon the next day, in the form of a tall blond faerie striding out of the stand of trees in Isabelle's back yard.

"Alasdair!" Isabelle was in the kitchen putting a mug in the sink when she spotted him. She leaned closer to the window for another look, then turned to him. He had been sitting at the kitchen table with her, drinking fragrant tea and reading an online newspaper. "There's a faerie outside."

He stood up quickly. "Are you certain?"

She nodded. "A big blond guy with wings." Alasdair was already at the back door by the time she finished. She followed slowly her heart sinking with every step.

By the time she got to the deck the two faerie were face to face. Alasdair threw his arms around the visitor. They didn't break apart for several minutes. She waited on the deck, reluctant to intrude on what was obviously a very happy reunion.

When they did finally separate Alasdair led the newcomer to where Isabelle was standing. She took him in with wide eyes. His features were similar to Alasdair, the same aristocratic angles, the same full lips, the familiar smile. But that's it otherwise they were completely different. The new comer had deep brown eyes, long dark blond hair and his wings were a kaleidoscope of browns with gold streaking through the large feathers.

"Isabelle, this is my brother Haelan."

She put her hand out but Haelan ignored it and pulled her into his arms.

"Thank you," he said softly.

"You're welcome." She looked over his shoulder at Alasdair who was grinning at the pair. "I had no idea faerie are so affectionate."

Haelan released her and stood back smiling at her. "The queen has asked that you return to our realm with me."

She looked at Alasdair. "This is goodbye then?"

Alasdair reached for her hand and pulled her against him.

"Lass—"

"Both of you." Haelan said with a wider smile. Isabelle looked at him with a surprised smile. "You don't think she wants to thank you personally for freeing her son?"

"Lass." Alasdair leaned close to murmur in her ear. "It is a rare for a human to be invited to court."

"Well then, I'd be honored." She said to Haelan. "Would you like to come in for a minute? I'll need to let Bernie know I won't be in tomorrow and lock up." Haelan waved them ahead of him and came inside. He waited in the living room while the two lovers disappeared in different directions. Alasdair upstairs to get something he wouldn't say anything about and Isabelle to the front entry to lock the doors and get her purse. She sent a text to Bernie to let him know where she was going.

Take all the time you need dear. He replied. Perhaps I'll see you there.

She texted her thanks then went to wait with Haelan. He was watching the stairs. Alasdair came down a minute later. He just smiled and patted the satchel he had thrown over his shoulder when Isabelle asked him what he went to get. Haelan led them back outside and waited while Isabelle locked the back doors as well. The three of them crossed the yard and made their way through the trees to the little stream. Alasdair held Isabelle back while Haelan murmured the incantation to open the portal to the faerie realm.

"Humans are not permitted to have this incantation," he explained quietly. She nodded with a little smile of understanding. It would hardly be a secret world if everyone could get in.

The portal wasn't as extravagant as she was expecting. There were no bright lights or loud sounds. It was just a large circular shimmering that appeared in front of Haelan. He looked back at them for a second then turned and stepped through. Alasdair pulled her forward. She squeezed his hand as they stepped into the shimmering and then into a dense forest. The colors stung her eyes making her blink a few times. She looked back at the shimmering, it was already starting to fade.

"Are we there?" She looked up at Alasdair. He was smiling.

"The forest south of the court," Haelan answered. He led them to a small break in the trees then drew his wings back and leapt up, slipping through the branches. Alasdair reached down and caught her knees. She was pulled against his chest as he drew back his wings and followed his brother.

They flew north for a few minutes. Isabelle tightened her grip on Alasdair's neck as she peeked over her shoulder. The forest started to thin and then they were over a small town. She couldn't see much of the houses, most appeared to be built into or next to the trunks of huge trees. She hadn't noticed that they'd started to rise higher till she heard Alasdair make a little noise in the back of his throat. She looked up and saw what they were approaching.

It wasn't the castle that she had been expecting. She gasped softly as they got closer to what appeared to be a gigantic tree ablaze with lights.

"This is your home?"

Alasdair laughed. "Yes lass."

"It's beautiful." Her head turned as she tried to take it all in while they banked around one side of the structure. What she thought was one tree was actually several enormous trees grouped together.

"I thought I'd never see it again." She heard the tears in his voice and rested her head on his shoulder.

"You're home dream faerie." He smiled in response.

Ahead of them Haelan had landed on a wide balcony near the top of one of the trees. Isabelle swallowed, her mouth suddenly dry, as they got closer and she could see all the winged people waiting within the room. Near the back wall the queen was sitting on a throne that seemed to grow right out of the green marble floor. All of the occupants turned to watch as they landed and Alasdair set her on her feet. He pressed his lips to her forehead and gave her a reassuring squeeze before releasing her.

She followed him as he walked forward. The crowd of people parted for him and she stopped just short of them to watch him, trying unsuccessfully to blink back tears. Alasdair reached the dais and went down on one knee bowing his head respectfully. The queen looked down at the bent head of her son for a moment then up at Isabelle. Her lips curved slightly.

"Alasdair." She stood. "Rise and greet your mother properly." He stood and took a step closer. The queen wrapped her arms around his shoulders, smoothing his hair when she felt his arms move around her. After a few moments she pulled back to take his head in her hands and press a firm kiss to his forehead. Isabelle wiped at her cheeks quietly. Haelan moved closer, resting his hand on her shoulder. She looked up at him and was stunned to see tears sliding down his cheeks.

"She never lost hope," he said softly.

"She's his mother," Isabelle murmured.

"Haelan." The queen called to him. "Bring Isabelle here."

He held out his arm for Isabelle to take, which she did after a moments hesitation. He led her forward with a comforting hand over her shaking fingers on his arm. She had to let go to curtsy when they reached the dais. The queen stepped down from the dais and reached out to grip her shoulders. Her green eyes sparkled with tears.

"Thank you." Her voice carried across the room. "And welcome to our realm." A murmur moved through the crowd of people. Alasdair smiled proudly and reached for her as the queen released her and stepped back to her throne. Isabelle took his hand gratefully and let him pull her into his side. The queen smiled at the couple then gave the group behind them a little wave. One by one the people in the room came forward to congratulate the couple and welcome their prince home. Isabelle pressed herself into Alasdair's side as the people passed. She kept her smile in place despite feeling like a fraud. No one there knew the truth of how Alasdair had been freed.

After offering their good wishes most of the people dispersed, only a two stayed behind. Another blond faerie, slightly shorter than Haelan, who had the similar colored wings, moved closer to the dais. A female faerie, who had wings the color of burnished brass, her long coppery blonde hair shining in the bright lights, stepped close to him and took his hand.

"Brother," he said, "This is my mate Andrelle." Alasdair stepped forward to embrace his new family member.

"My brother is a lucky faerie," Alasdair smiled at her when she drew back. She blushed and watched as her mate threw his arms around his brother. When they parted Alasdair turned to introduce his brother to Isabelle. "My brother Malin."

"The savior," Malin reached for her hand and lifted it to his lips. "Welcome to court." His posture was stiff and formal. Her eyes narrowed slightly as she tried to determine what felt so off about the encounter. She surmised it may have had something to do with the fact that she was human.

"Thank you," she murmured. Haelan stepped closer to her right side, Alasdair inched closer to her left. Her chin hitched up a little higher. Andrelle smiled at her and gave her a little wink.

Alasdair looked around quickly. "Where is Roldan?" He asked the queen.

"He's on his way back from the borderlands." She smiled. "He left as soon as he heard this morning so he should be arriving soon. Why don't we go have something to eat while we wait." She smiled at Isabelle who nodded quickly.

The queen led the little group to the stairs and they descended into a softly lit room with a ceiling that was easily thirty feet from the floor. Isabelle looked around in wonder. The walls were cast in shadow between intricate silver sconces but the branches of trees could clearly be seen.

The room was dominated by a large wood table with legs made of tree trunks that had been stripped bare. It was surrounded by ornate stools made in the same style as the table with thick cushioned seats covered in dark brown fabrics. Above the table was chandelier fashioned from a tangle of hundreds of thick twigs. The branches twisted through and around each other without any sort of pattern. The end of each piece held a small white bulb. Isabelle peeked at it as they took their seats at one end of the long table. She leaned towards Alasdair.

"Those look like light bulbs," she whispered.

Malin leaned forward in his seat. "They are."

"I don't understand. How did something from the human realm end up here?"

"We have emissaries that appropriate goods and ideas from your realm," Haelan said as he sat next to her.

"So you have other things too?" She smiled. Haelan nodded.

"I especially enjoy the indoor running water," the queen said, everyone laughed. She gave them a serious look for a moment then smiled. "It certainly makes taking a bath easy." Andrelle nodded in agreement.

Servants started filing into the room, each carrying covered trays of food. As the covers were removed Isabelle was relieved to recognize the contents. The dishes were simple, roasted vegetables, potatoes, succulent sliced beef, a few green salads. She was amazed at how informal it was, almost like sitting down to Sunday dinner at her grandparents house. No one bothered with ceremony, they dished themselves up and passed the dish to the next person. A few of the servants stayed in the room but most disappeared back where they'd come from.

The conversation was relaxed. Isabelle found herself answering questions about herself from the queen and Haelan, every once in a while Andrelle or Malin would ask her something. She in turn asked about their realm and listened intently as they shared little bits of their homeland with her. The queen watched them with a little smile gracing her lips.

A thump on the balcony outside caused a break in the conversation as everyone turned. Alasdair got up as the new comer entered the room. Isabelle turned on her stool to take him in. He was a few inches taller than Alasdair with the same strong build, his resemblance to the queen was unmistakable. He was blond like two of his brothers but where they had dark wings his were almost pure white like his mother's. As he moved into the light of the room she noticed streaks of silver that ran through most of his feathers. He was breathtaking, angelic. And the complete opposite from the brother he embraced with a happy chuckle. The two held onto each other for a few moments before breaking apart.

"Welcome home brother," the new comer said with a huge smile.

"Come." Alasdair took him by the shoulder and led him forward. "You must meet Isabelle." She rose from her seat to curtsy as he approached. "Lass, this is Roldan."

"So," Roldan said softly, "You're the one who managed to do the impossible."

She straightened. "I got lucky," she answered with a little smile.

"Well." He stepped closer reaching for her hand and lifting it to his lips the way Malin had done. "We are grateful for what you have done." She blushed under his penetrating gaze. Alasdair smiled at her and then plucked her hand out of his brothers grasp. Roldan chuckled and moved around the table to take the seat to the right of the queen, it had been left empty on purpose, in deference to his station as first born.

Dishes were picked up and passed to him so he could catch up to the rest of them. The conversation resumed with a few questions about Roldan's trip to the borderlands thrown in. From what Isabelle could gather there was some sort of disagreement between the forest elves and the faerie. Forces from the faerie province were making regular patrols until the situation settled.

"Don't worry lass," Alasdair leaned close to her and took her hand under the table. "We're too far south for them to bother us." She smiled at him and leaned against his shoulder. Her fingers squeezed his. She looked up as a servant reached down to take his plate. Her cheeks turned pink as she realized how close she'd come to leaning in to kiss him. She settled back on her seat. Andrelle caught her eye and smiled.

"Isabelle," the queen said, drawing Isabelle's gaze from Andrelle. "There will be a celebration tomorrow evening. We would like it if you would stay and celebrate with us."

"I would love to." Isabelle answered after a split second of thought.

"Fantastic." The queen smiled widely.

Once everyone was finished the plates were cleared away and the group split into two. The males moving into one parlour and the females to another. Before they separated Alasdair pulled Isabelle aside to wrap his arms around her. His wings followed cutting them off from the amused eyes of his family. The queen waved everyone else off leaving the lovers alone.

"Dream faerie." Isabelle leaned back to look up at him. "Your brother's are waiting."

"I know but I need a moment with the woman I love." She smiled. "To thank you."

"For what?" Her hands tightened against his back.

"My homecoming would have been joyous had I come on my own but having you here makes it doubly so." His head dipped and he kissed her deeply. She melted against him. It was a few minutes before he lifted his head. Isabelle hugged him tightly.

"I'll see you after you and your brother's do whatever it is men do after dinner?"

"Yes my love." His lips pressed against her hair. His wings folded neatly against his back and he let her pull away to disappear into his mother's parlour. He went to his brother's parlour and accepted a glass from Haelan before taking a seat on one of the plush stools next to the fire.

Isabelle sat on a stool next to Andrelle and took the flute of rose coloured liquid from a waiting servant.

"Is there alcohol in this?" She asked softly. Andrelle shook her head with a confused smile.

"Are you—?" Andrelle started to ask.

"We are not permitted to speak of it yet." The queen murmured with a nod at Isabelle.

"Thank you your majesty." Isabelle looked down at her hands.

"I don't understand." Andrelle looked at the queen.

"We will wait till my son has been made aware."

"Oh?" Andrelle reached out and patted Isabelle's knee. "Your secret is safe with me." She lifted her glass. "Congratulations." The queen lifted her glass as well.

*****************

An hour later Andrelle led her down two flights of stairs. Isabelle asked about the castle as they walked. Andrelle explained the structure and the functions of each floor while they descended and moved down a curved hallway.

The castle was built into five massive trees arranged in a circle, the thick branches on the interior of the ring held the stone floors of the five levels of the building. The floors reached between the wide trunks, creating huge balconies. The level closest to the ground was the kitchen, laundry, and some servants quarters though most staff lived in the surrounding town. The next two floors held the royal family's sleeping quarters along with rooms for visiting dignitaries. The fourth held parlors, offices for the royal family, and informal dining rooms. The top floor was reserved for the throne room and open air hall. Each floor had wide staircases that were open in the center so servants could fly from floor to floor rather than take the stairs.