Without You I Have Nothing Ch. 14

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
JAScooter
JAScooter
115 Followers

"Give me your luggage, Jennifer. Here are your keys. You're driving because I took the liberty of bringing your car across to pick you up."

"Peter? How's Peter? What happened? Tell me he's not dying. Please tell me what's happening."

Jennifer wasn't interested in anything but news of her love. Intently she listened while Susie explained her relationship with Peter. Jennifer found it difficult to comprehend how Susie came to be next-of-kin.

"Me? In love with Peter? Me - who's pregnant, thanks to Peter." Susie suddenly realized what she had said as the car almost ran off the road.

"No, that's wrong. I'm pregnant with my dear husband's baby - thanks to Peter. When Bill left the Navy, Peter managed to get him a position with the BMW Dealer next door to Peter's workshop. That meant we could support a child and give it a secure home -- a thing we couldn't do before."

"Now I have some home truths for you, Jennifer! I'm Peter's next-of-kin because of you and your 'someone special'. Peter was driving to Bathurst that fateful night and he was going to commit suicide, as he believed he'd lost you to that 'someone special'. He had death firmly fixed in his mind so I travelled with him to save him from himself.

"As a mother would hold a child, I held him close to me on that Saturday night, when the drugs he'd used to assist him to drive those long hours made him hallucinate. I compelled him to look at the 'someone special' problem another way, and I drove back with him in that loaded truck to keep him safe by prattling incessantly just to keep his mind away from his 'so-called' problems.

"Believe me - I think I almost went mad with the noise and the heat of that trip. Not something I want to repeat."

Jennifer pulled into a service station and turned to Susie.

"Are you telling me you and Peter are not lovers? Are you really trying to make me believe that Peter means nothing to you?"

Laughing, Susie patted Jennifer's hand as it clutched the steering wheel.

"My dear, Peter means a great deal to me as a very good friend and 'adopted son'. However, Jennifer, he has eyes and heart only for you. I mean nothing to him as a lover, although I regard him with a great amount of 'motherly affection' especially as he saved me from a rape. He's always been a most considerate gentleman with me."

She turned to Jennifer and looked at her with a direct gaze.

"You, my girl, are the luckiest person I know -- that is, if you do the right thing today and bring him back to a state where he wants to live."

Jennifer leant across and kissed Susie on the cheek.

"Thank you, Susie. Thank you. I was in a hell of my own making and now you've dragged me out."

Susie smiled. "Get this car moving. We have a lot to do yet."

Arriving at the hospital, Susie walked with Jennifer to the Intensive Care Unit and introduced her to the nurses. Knowing Peter's recovery was completely dependent upon Jennifer, Susie gave her a hug as she pushed her toward the door and turned to leave.

"Ring me if you need me. I'm sure you are exactly the medicine he needs. We will all be praying for your success."

In the peace of the Intensive Care Ward, Peter remained comatose. His mind was a bottomless well where he lay immersed in a velvety darkness. It was peaceful lying there, so warm and comfortable. Through the gloom, he could see his mother and father reaching out to him.

Cutting across his thoughts came the words "He's alive but we can't bring him around." A woman's voice carried an authority, which Peter couldn't place. "We've done everything possible, yet we can't get him out of his coma."

Peter's thoughts wandered. That woman was talking about someone and he wondered whom. Why was that woman talking and who was she? He wanted her to just go away and leave him lie there. The black mist was so pleasant and secure.

"We had trouble identifying him. His wallet was burnt in the heat of the explosion." That same voice rambled on.

Peter was not interested in her conversation. He heard a soft sob.

"There, there."

If that damn woman doesn't stop talking I will scream. Peter was aware of this thought making its way into his semi-consciousness, through the peace and quiet he longed for in his blackness.

"Were you close?"

"We were, but we had an argument when I got jealous over nothing."

Peter knew that voice. Where had he heard that strange hoarseness before? Yet the voice was hard to identify, as the sounds seemed to be interspersed with tears.

"Well, he's been lying there like that for over a week now."

Peter just lay there, comatose, unthinking and secure in his darkness.

This woman certainly could talk. She seemed to know everything about that 'he'. "It was as if he gave up, knowing no-one cared."

"I care."

That soft almost hoarse voice - Peter knew it well. But where had he heard it?

"Funny thing, the young woman he rescued was not called Jennifer and was already dead when he pulled her clear of the explosion." The words carried a ring of authority.

A very pungent smell of antiseptic assailed Peter's nose as a cold hand felt his forehead.

"Such a pity and so young too. Extreme shock can cause this traumatic reaction. All we can do is pray that the end will be quick and painless as we wait."

Suddenly Peter realized that the woman was talking about him. He was the person she was discussing. His mind rebelled, wanting her to go away leaving him alone. He knew he was safe in that black mist with no more fighting, no more worries, no more struggles. The pungent smell faded and he relaxed into the silence.

As he drifted once more into darkness, the sweetest perfume possible invaded his senses. Soft wisps of hair lightly brushed across Peter's forehead and his eyelids could feel warm breath. Then two drops of water splashed onto his cheek. Strange! How could it be raining in his safe dark tunnel? Lips lightly brushed his and Peter sensed he could taste Jennifer.

Moving to sit on a chair at the side of his bed, Jennifer buried her head in his hand.

No one disturbed them and she drifted off to sleep.

Waking early the next morning she was unable to lift her head.

"Nurse! Nurse! Come quickly." Jennifer sounded distraught. "He moved."

Peter groaned as he slept.

"Open those fingers." Someone, ordering Peter about, was trying to force his fingers open.

"Open your fingers, I can't move." A hoarse voice he recognized broke through his darkness.

Peter moaned. His eyes gradually flickered open and he looked down at his hand. Jennifer's head was on the edge of the bed and his fingers tightly gripped her hair. Relaxing his fingers, he waited.

Slowly, she lifted her head and those beautiful green eyes came close to study him. Then gently, as if she didn't dare touch him, she moved her hand to his face where it lay cradling his cheek.

"Hello," she whispered. "I waited for you."

Peter tried to sit up but his body screamed its agony at the effort. Jennifer held his shoulders down.

"Lie still!"

"Where am I?" Peter was confused.

"You're in Royal North Shore Hospital - Intensive Care Unit." Jennifer's answer was deliberate.

"What the hell happened?"

"Well," Jennifer paused, uncertain whether to tell the full story.

"There was a car smash. When you arrived at the scene, you fought people who were trying to keep you from the burning wreckage. They said you went berserk screaming 'Jennifer' and that you tore the door off the car using just your hands. You carried the woman's body clear just as the car exploded."

Gently, Jennifer kissed Peter's cheek.

"Believing you were saving me, you almost died, Peter. Moreover, all the time I was being so damn silly. Can you ever forgive me?"

"Forgive you for what?" Peter whispered.

"For doubting you with Susie." Jennifer smiled at his look of shock. "Yes, Susie and I have talked. It was Susie who got me to understand how much you needed me here and we've talked about everything. As you said earlier, she is a very good friend to both of us."

"How long have I been here?" Desperately Peter tried to change the topic of conversation.

"Well, I arrived yesterday afternoon, and you held my hair all night as you slept. Today is your eighth day here."

"Eight days." Peter was almost shouting. "I've been lying here eight days?" Forgetting his injuries, he tried to push himself upright. The sudden heat of the pain in his chest and the blackness threatening to overcome him defeated him as reluctantly he faced the extent of his injuries.

"Lie still, Peter, lie still," Jennifer took both his hands in hers. "Please lie still for me. You've been injured but you'll recover."

"You behave, Mr. O'Brien." The nurse's smile softened her comment as she arrived with the doctor. After examining Peter, the doctor signed the release papers from Intensive Care.

The nurse busied herself removing all the drips and monitors in spite of Peter's complaints.

"You've caused enough trouble as it is. Lie still or I'll call the doctor back.

"We need this bed for a sick person, so off you go. Now you're conscious I'm to take you to Ward 6. This lady has woven her magic and you won't be there long either."

The nurse and an orderly pushed his bed down the long corridor into Ward 6.

"Here's Mr. Trouble himself," called the nurse to the Ward Sister as she locked his bed into place. "If he's not in here with gunshot wounds after an attempted hijack, he's in here after trying to rescue a young woman from a burning car. I was thinking he had an inbuilt death wish, but now I see him with his young lady I've had to change my mind."

"Take care of yourself and listen to Jennifer. She's boss." Laughing, she returned to the Intensive Care Unit.

The stern face of the Ward Sister cracked into a smile. Grinning, she asked, "What would you like to eat?"

In reply, Peter slowly brought Jennifer's hands to his lips. Staring into Jennifer's eyes, he stated clearly, "Her!"

The Sister giggled and Jennifer, no more the embarrassed, insecure woman, looked pleased.

"Good heavens, you've been in a coma for over a week and the first thing you want to do when you come around is attack this young lady. Behave yourself and I'll ask the doctor if Miss Blake's on the menu. Now if you promise to behave, I'll let you shave. You look like a pirate with that growth."

With no warning, she ripped the plaster from Peter's cheek. Ignoring his agonized bellow, she examined the wound.

"That's healing well. You're lucky that's the only reminder you'll have of your adventure once your ribs are healed."

As she left, the Sister called back to him.

"I'll send the policeman in. He's been waiting to interview you for some time."

Jennifer sat at the end of Peter's bed listening carefully as the story of no sleep, pep pills and Peter's version of the accident unfolded.

"No-one could understand why you threw yourself into that fire." The heavily built officer was still not satisfied.

Peter beckoned Jennifer until she stood close enough for him to reach. Wrapping his arm around her waist, he explained.

"I thought the green Mini was Jennifer's and that she was the driver."

Jennifer bent and lightly kissed his scarred cheek.

"I see." Grinning broadly, the sergeant picked up his cap. He patted Jennifer on the shoulder and kindly added, "I'd have done the same."

He coughed and became serious once more.

"However, get this straight. You're to have no more nights without sleep, and no more pills. You were an accident waiting to happen, on those damn things. Your mind had gone. The car wasn't green and it wasn't a Mini. No more working day and night for you. Don't go without sleep, and no more pills."

"I'll make certain of that." Jennifer was very confident.

The officer started to leave the ward when suddenly he stopped, turned and strode back to the bed. Ignoring Jennifer, he resumed his questioning.

"I don't suppose you'd care to explain the scars on your back. You seem to have been brutally beaten - scars upon scars."

Oblivious of the look in Peter's eyes and the grim way he held himself, the officer continued.

"You really are a mystery. We contacted Interpol about you and the scars on your back and received messages from Malaysia and Singapore virtually warning us to mind our own business. Seems you're actually a hero in both countries, but I sure would like to know the story. Even our own security essentially told us to mind our own business. Strange!"

Peter's grim look and the tightness of his lips told the officer he would get no information from him.

As he left, still perplexed and shaking his head, the officer passed the doctor striding into the ward.

"Is there anything else constable?" The doctor asked as they passed.

"No, thanks. All finished. Look after him, Miss Blake. He's a menace to himself." His laughter followed him as he left.

The doctor removed Peter's charts from the end of the bed and studied them carefully before giving Peter a thorough physical examination. He prodded, pressed and finally scanned Peter's eyes. He straightened up with a satisfied sigh.

"We had a dying man in this bed. There was not a thing medical science could do to stop the inevitable, and then this young lady arrived and God arrived with her."

Jennifer introduced herself.

"It isn't often we can say a miracle occurs in a hospital ward and I'm so pleased I have witnessed this one. To say I'm astounded at your recovery is an understatement. All week we had a dying man on life support. This young lady arrives and we have a man with two broken ribs and a scar. But those ribs will soon mend."

The doctor was both perplexed and pleased.

"When can I leave?" Peter looked up at Jennifer while he squeezed her hand. "Hospital is for sick people."

Shaking herself free of Peter's grip, Jennifer walked with the doctor to the doorway where they whispered together for a few minutes. The doctor shook his head but Jennifer was insistent. Her body had stiffened and Peter knew her eyes were flashing.

"Well, I suppose you're right. There's not a thing we can do except observe. Are you sure?" The doctor's voice grew louder.

Jennifer nodded her head vigorously.

All smiles, the doctor returned to the bedside.

"If you can prove in the morning that you can walk unassisted I'll discharge you into Miss Blake's care. You're not to return to work for at least a month. You're to have plenty of rest, good food and ample sleep at the correct hours. Miss Blake tells me she will be in charge of you. You are to listen to her and follow her orders. If you feel dizzy, return here straight away."

He meandered on with some more instructions.

Still shaking his head in disbelief, he concluded. "I suppose as Miss Blake brought about this change in you, she can't go wrong. We could do nothing but she became Florence Nightingale."

Still unable to believe the dramatic change in his patient, the doctor left.

A commotion in the corridor gained their attention and the doors swung open. Susie had arrived. She rushed to Jennifer and gave her a huge hug.

"I tried to stay away but I was like a caged lion at the office. Bill drove me back here to see what has been happening."

She looked across at Peter, her face all smiles.

"I knew it. I just knew it! You would make him want to live. That great bear loves you so much he won't let you go, ever." Susie's effervescent good humor made them both smile.

Jennifer grinned, "I do believe you're right. Now, are you going to tell him or shall I?"

Susie looked perplexed.

Laughing, Jennifer didn't wait for Susie's answer.

"Peter, did you know that you're responsible for Susie's pregnancy. Susie is going to have a baby, thanks to you."

Peter didn't flinch as he assumed the face of the inscrutable East.

"Well, it's an immaculate conception, because in no way am I responsible. Susie, tell the truth. How am I responsible?"

The smile on Susie's face lit the room, and she bent to kiss first Jennifer, then Peter.

"Well, you secured Bill's employment at the BMW Dealer. That gave me the opportunity to have children - something that up until now has been out of our reach. With Bill in the navy, I wasn't prepared to raise a child by myself so we waited. Now, both Bill and I are so very grateful."

Jennifer wasn't the least jealous as she and Susie sat on opposite sides of the bed, holding Peter's hands as they chatted. She realized how silly her jealousy had been. Peter had eyes only for her and it was soon obvious he didn't want to share her with Susie.

Susie noticed as well, and almost dragged Jennifer to the door as she was leaving. She took Jennifer's hands in her own and held them tightly.

"Take damn good care of him. You hold his life in your hands as always."

A quick kiss on Jennifer's cheek and she was gone.

JAScooter
JAScooter
115 Followers
12