Work The Problem Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"The portal is stable," said John. "We did it."

There was a huge cheer from the assembled crowd as the little robot trundled towards the gate into another world. Holly's paw tightened around Ned's hand as the machine reached the plane of the portal. Without any apparent issue it rolled forward and through, and now Ned could see the robot sitting quietly in the middle of the grass. It had the same warped appearance as its surroundings.

Brigadier General Gossett was monitoring the feed from the cable that now extended through the portal. "We've still got good communication with the robot. Video images are now on-screen..." His voice trailed off. Then, much more quietly, he said. "Oh, no."

The assembled group turned to regard the huge screen that had been set up for the big event. In that screen now appeared a gently-sloping ridge, with that same field of gently waving grass marching up towards the crest of that ridge.

And at the crest was a scene of chaos.

Small gray-furred forms darted back and forth along the ridge. They carried what looked like rifles, and were clearly making every attempt to stay low. Occasionally they would poke their head and rifle over the ridge to let loose a shot. Small cracks and distant yelling came through on the audio. Beyond the ridge were several columns of black smoke that loomed ominously over the battle.

As they watched, one of the lagomorphs stood up a little too much to make his shot. A bright red beam lanced out and up from somewhere beyond the ridge, and the unlucky rifleman simply fell apart as if sliced with a huge and impossibly sharp knife. There was a bright spray of blood as his various parts tumbled to earth.

The assembled crowd gasped, and Ned heard Holly give a high-pitched cry of shock.

"We're picking up shortwave radio, sir," said Gossett to the President.

"Put it on speaker." The President's voice was just as tense as Ned felt.

There was a crackle, and the room was filled with the sounds of panicked battle.

"...damn it, keep your heads down! Do not let them get a line-of-sight view of you!"

"Sir, should we fall back?"

"We can't let them past this ridge! Where are the damn mortars?"

"On the way, sir. They finally found them in storage. It'll be at least four hours."

The voice of the commander sounded hopeless. "In four hours they'll be past us."

A new voice broke in. "SIR! New portal has formed behind our position!"

"Of course it has. Is there any movement?"

"None, sir! Just a small wheeled vehicle on this side."

"Take it out."

Before Ned could blink, the robot sparked and jumped as several rounds went through it. The view of battle on the overhead screen went out.

"That was pretty good shooting," murmured Corporal Nowak from behind him.

Holly spun. "I need something blue!" she called. "We need to wave something blue through the portal! That's a signal for truce!"

One of the reporters reached into her handbag and with a few seconds of rummaging pulled out a blue handkerchief. That was quickly brought up to the portal, along with another robot. Holly tied the bit of blue cloth onto the very front of the robot, and everyone watched with bated breath as the new robot rolled forward. It parked beside its fallen comrade, and the air was filled with the sound of radio transmissions again.

"...it's just sitting there, sir. Looks like a truce-flag has been tied on the front."

"The robot has transmission capability, sir," said General Gossett. "Do we make contact?"

Everyone in the room turned to look at the President. Ned had always wondered why anyone would want such a crummy job, and had figured it took a certain breed of sociopath to put up with the constant downsides that came with the position. And now, especially, he did not envy the President one bit. The man seemed to wilt a little under that combined stare, but he quickly straightened up again.

"Radio them, General," he said in a firm voice. "Tell them that we stand ready to offer assistance."