Work Wife

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Katelyn completed her previous thought, "But yea, so we changed up his diet, and I got him to start exercising. Every day before work, we'd go on a five mile run. Trust me, that sounds much easier. Neither one of us was a morning person, and waking up early to run?"

"Yea, before that scare, a zombie apocalypse or something just as catastrophic would have been the only way that would have happened," chimed in my husband. Both he and Katelyn laughed at his joke. It wasn't funny to me. I had missed his 'scare' and now this lifestyle change. It was no laughing matter. Worse yet, Katelyn seemed to know all about it. Was she replacing me as his wife?

"Changing up his diet was definitely the easy part." She looked at my husband as they continued to share in laughter, as if this was all an inside joke. She turned to look back at me, "Since I do all the food ordering for lunch, I simply dictated what he had for lunch. It was like I was his 'work wife'."

And there were those words. It crushed me to the core.

Sadly, I said, "As much as I would love to talk, I'm exhausted."

Steve quickly apologized, "Oh, I bet! Working all day, and then catching the red eye flight out last night?" He got my suitcase from the trunk, while saying, "Why don't you hurry on in. Get a nice hot shower, and then get some rest. Katelyn and I have to have our morning run, and then most of our day will be spent at one of clients, giving a presentation. So you'll have plenty of peace and quiet."

"Plus, I'll pick up the kids after school, and get them to dance class and baseball practice," Katelyn added. Though, I did notice a glance between her and Steve.

Steve then sounded a little more formal, or at least not as personable, when he said, "And then when I get home tonight, we can talk about what's going on with you and why you quit your job?" Maybe there was some compassion as well? I wouldn't know as it seemed my guilt clouded everything.

"Yea, and don't worry about Kelli and AJ. After practice, I'll take them out to dinner," reassured my husband's work wife.

"I figured it would be better to discuss that without the kids around. I'm sure the decision to quit was stressful, and talking about where we go from here would be even more complicated with the kids demanding attention as well."

I couldn't tell if Steve was saying this because he was concerned about my well being, or if he was getting ready to kick me to the curb. My world was crumbling down around me, and I didn't have the strength to continue. Everything went dark.

Epilogue

It's been six months since the divorce, and I'm still in therapy. My therapist says that I'm making good progress. Fortunately, the divorce was amicable. I had problems readjusting back to being the "home wife" in the Swanson household. In that 'short' year that I became Brad's work wife, my family evolved without me. What am I saying? I abandoned them. I thought I could just simply reinsert myself into their lives, but I couldn't. Too much had changed that it was just never the same between me and Steve. I still have a good relationship with my children. Steve, nor Katelyn, did anything to disparage me in front of the kids despite having every reason to do so.

When Steve and Katelyn got married, I had a little bit of a relapse or a breakdown. Their wedding vows reminded me of everything that I lost because of my selfish whims. Steve and Katelyn didn't know it, but I watched from the back of the church. I was happy for Steve because I could tell that he was happy, and he deserved to have a wife like Katelyn. Once he kissed the bride, though, I quietly walked out and called my therapist for an emergency session. I'm struggling, but I'm getting by. Kelli keeps on encouraging me to start dating, but I don't think I'm ready. I know that whomever I date, I would compare to Steve and that wouldn't be fair to my date.

As for Brad? I wish I could tell you that he got the short end of the stick. I wish I could tell you that by me leaving him for Steve that he was totally devastated and suffered a life changing punishment of any kind. But my therapist makes me focus on my behavior. And while Brad may have been the catalyst for my downfall, it was still a choice that I made. I need to be responsible for my own actions. I tried saying that I think he still needs to get his own just dessert, but that's not very healthy. So no, there is no fairy-tale Hollywood ending where the villain falls from grace. People like Brad continue to be self-centered, misogynistic assholes and get away with it.

I just hope that Karma comes around and bites him on the ass the same way it did me.