All Comments on 'WSIM24B Ch. 07'

by AspernEssling

Sort by:
  • 36 Comments
Comentarista82Comentarista82about 1 month ago

I have to say that somehow I missed the reference about time travel.

****

I'm certainly glad that he got revenge for Nika by killing Anna, although somehow you managed to lose me on how they travel back to 1492. However I'm certainly willing to learn about the politics of the time.

***

You engross us in the tale without bogging us down, and once more I find myself complimenting you on how you structure your words to match the pace of the fighting or the action. That's really is a unique talent.

***

I can certainly see why the captain refused to tell them much about their assignment, but now it intrigues me further because how did the jump occur to the past anyway? I'm either going to have to go back and reread, or just look for more clues and future chapters. Either way, I'm loving the story, and the backstory that Pilgrim created for himself dot dot although how this is going to play out still has me scratching my head at this point. 5

Bobby1601Bobby1601about 1 month ago

this took an extremely unexpected turn, but the story just got a thousand times even more interesting. thank you.

ender2k2kender2k2kabout 1 month ago

I am all in with this story. Great writing. I can’t wait for the next chapter. Thanks

TwinSoulFlamesTwinSoulFlamesabout 1 month ago

OK. I was enjoying this as it was. Then you smacked me with a left hook out of nowhere. Time Travel? That's some Assassin's Creed level shenanigans right there, and I AM HERE FOR IT! Keep it coming!

GortmundyGortmundyabout 1 month ago

I was in Rome a year ago. Amazing place.

hindsight2020hindsight2020about 1 month ago

Wow! This story has taken off!

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

hindsight2020hindsight2020about 1 month ago

Hope this is not a repost of an earlier comment, but I do not see it any more.

This story has taken off like a rocket!

Love the time travel!

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

LlyanderLlyanderabout 1 month ago

Well. There's quite a twist.

StoryvertalerStoryvertalerabout 1 month ago

I love the story. One historic mistake. Pope Alexander, borga, started the building of the st Pieter, but didn't finish the church.

Freddog6601Freddog6601about 1 month ago

Engaging well told story.

Looking forward to the next chapter.

mithanialmithanialabout 1 month ago

Ha nice twist and twist. Looking forward to more.

HaydenDLinderHaydenDLinder30 days ago

Sooooo, we will -NOT- be returning to CWD144......................... uh huh.

You sir, are NO scholar! And CERTAINLY no Gentleman!!!

You have made an enemy for life!

Oh, and 5 Stars on this chapter. Obviously.

I mean, I hate you but this chapter was awesome.

SweboSwebo30 days ago

Yay! Nothing better than 15th-Century political intrigue...well, except for 16th- or 17th-century. I mean, in just 35 years your going to have Holy Roman Emperor Charles V's troops brutally sack the Holy Roman capital because... whoops...things got a bit out of hand with that whole "I need to pay my army" thing. In any case, the Renaissance (or, as I like to think of it, the Very Early Modern period) is a great place to set a story. Love the little throw-away references like that 'Little Painter" working on the Sistene Chapel (some punk named Michelangelo will paint over his frescoes...the nerve).

Of course, Renaissance Rome is not what's where/when this is taking place. But, that said, I think I've figured out what the title means...

This is great fun. I'm almost ready to forgive you for killing Erika/Nika so suddenly. Almost.

Crap. Now I have to wait for the next chapter.

candykinscandykins30 days ago

Oh wow. What a stunning and unexpected turn of events.

AnonymousAnonymous30 days ago

Sweet genre shift from SF to historical fiction. Interested to know where you're gonna take this!

Test56Test5630 days ago

Love it! Very exciting story, the twists are built up to in a logical way one can follow the clues back to their origin.

AnonymousAnonymous30 days ago

Holy cow that went sideways fast - 5 stars and bravo!

James_DuncanJames_Duncan30 days ago

I think you're very brave to go diving into the real world of rennaisance politics and papal intrigue, I hope you've done your research :)

tenyaritenyari30 days ago

Hmmmm WSIM24B.

I'm beginning to wonder if our hero is actually in a simulation. Something is wrong with beta shard 24 of the historical world simulator?

romanwajdenfelerromanwajdenfeler30 days ago
MOREE

We are in dire need of some more chapters!! A lot more! Another amazing story you're brewing there, thank you for your work.

unrealtimeunrealtime30 days ago

“Holy shit!” indeed!

AnonymousAnonymous30 days ago

"Of course there were slaves. The trans-Atlantic slave trade was about to begin, once Columbus and his crew had finished sowing smallpox among the indigenous populations of the Americas."

Yes, a future event explains the presence of slaves better than, oh, the vile Barbary pirates or the Ottoman Turks who did the enslaving rather than part of the selling and buying.

But then again, that would preclude you from blaming white people, so it makes sense.

AnonymousAnonymous30 days ago

Oh well done with that twist!

5 stars

DaFaceDaFace30 days ago

Awesome story. I’m really enjoying your history, too.

Of course you HAD to have a character with a Napoleonic simulation, with a pen name of AspernEssling!

el_otro_hombreel_otro_hombre30 days ago

Surprise twist! I love how you take your time getting there. And I’m actually reading this for plot. Great storytelling!

Lathanar1Lathanar129 days ago

I'm gonna bust a gut if Ezio shows up.

AnonymousAnonymous29 days ago

As everyone knows, the big problem with time travel is the way it screws with the future. But, since we have already seen what the future is (see chapters 1-6), then what is going to happen in Rome is "predestined". The future can't be changed; what happens in Rome just is a record of what happened to make the future that Aspern has written about. Given that, no one would be mad enough to time-travel back on the grounds that changing the future might inadvertently wipe themselves out.

So time travel back to the past stories are problematic. Nevertheless, Aspern is a top writer and his stories remain interesting. I just have to suspend my disbelief as to the time travellers motives.

AnonymousAnonymous29 days ago

Wonderful story and unexcepted twist of action. However, I can see a weak point in the story - Torun de Peregrino, as good catholic Spaniard should attend a Mass every Sunday, but there is no mention of it, and he would completely ignorant to the proper ceremony and his duties as a churchgoer.

ZZchromosomeZZchromosome29 days ago

This is getting even funner. Carry on!

Comentarista82Comentarista8229 days ago

@tenyari

When I looked up WSIM, it indeed said as an IBM acronym "Workload Simulator," and you may be right. After I looked it up (actually after ch 2), I wondered if we would have any "tells" that he was somehow hooked up to a neural interface.

SexySenior56SexySenior5629 days ago

Still enjoying the series even if this chapter had no sex! Good job on your research

bear1999bear199929 days ago

Oh shit...yep I agree. Carry on.

LugejaLugeja29 days ago

A) Thank You AspernEssling for confirming that estonians do excist in future as nation. Being on of the people of that small nation - it is always a lovely suprise to see Estonia mentioned somewhere. B) I would clear up or offer possible reason why Torun is might not be so religois as one of the comments suggested ( Torun de Peregrino, as good catholic Spaniard should attend a Mass every Sunday). His mother is from Estonia - country what is being know for being one of the least religious/most atheist countries in world so it could be her influence for him to lack any interest in religion so far in this story.

Comentarista82Comentarista8228 days ago

While we await Ch 8, I will share this Spanish gem with other commenters: "Peregrino" aside from "pilgrim" means traveler, or "one that passes through strange lands (translated from the General Dictionary of the Spanish Language)," which fits him, also being time-displaced.

AspernEsslingAspernEssling28 days agoAuthor

Hey Comentarista82 - good catch on the name. There is still a word in English: peregrinations. Thank you, too, for your detailed comments. I'm awed by the time and thought you put into them. At this stage, there must be some who think that we are one and the same person (or at least closely related). And no - Comentarista82 is not on my payroll.

Hats off to Swebo and Tenyari, too - they were the first to look closer at the title of the series, and make some pretty shrewd guesses as to what it means.

Thanks to everybody for your comments; your support is the reason why I still post on this site.

AE

sabrinamoanssabrinamoans28 days ago

Loved where this went-did not see it coming and that is always a lovely surprise! Thank you for this wonderful gift.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userAspernEssling@AspernEssling
Still writing. More to come. For those who are interested: you may have noticed that I mention music fairly often. That's because I tend to listen to music while I write, so that certain artists/albums become associated with certain stories. Here are some of the connections. G...

READ MORE OF THIS SERIES

WSIM24B Ch. 06 Previous Part
WSIM24B Series Info