Ye Olde Spice Shoppe

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The funeral director saw the hesitation, so he stood up and said, "I'll give you and your husband some time to discuss this privately."

Vanessa was so deep in thought she didn't really hear, and Brian didn't want to make an issue out of it. When Vanessa didn't reply, he just thanked the man for her then waited for him to walk out.

"Do you know whether or not your brother had any life insurance? It could cover or defray the costs," Brian offered.

Vanessa didn't know, and it was obvious this was tearing her apart.

"Was your brother a religious man?" he asked.

"What? Oh. No. Not...religious. Spiritual maybe. May I ask why?"

"Just making sure there was no religious reason to either favor or oppose one option or the other."

Vanessa realized how thoughtful Brian was being and told him she appreciated his being there.

"Do you think cremation is...bad?" she asked after understanding the reason for his questions.

"Again, I can't speak for anyone else, but that's my preference for me when I go. So, no, I don't think that at all. For me, being in a box is more disturbing. Sure, I realize I won't know or care, but for what it's worth, that's my take on things."

"That makes sense, and I think Gabe would agree with that," Vanessa said. "And the truth is, money is an issue, so I think I'll opt for cremation, but then there's still the memorial, and I don't even know who his friends are let alone how to get in touch with them."

"We have his phone along with some other personal effects. If we can get into it, we may be able to help out with that."

"I...could we maybe put up a sign or something at the shop? To, you know, let people know?"

"Yes, of course. Anything you need," Brian promised.

"It's just so much to deal with all at once," she replied almost absentmindedly.

"We'll get through this," Brian assured her as he gently laid his hand on her forearm.

Vanessa didn't pull away, she only looked over at him and thanked him one more time just as the director walked back in.

"Have you decided or do you need some additional time?" he asked in that 'I care' voice.

"Yes. I...we want to go with cremation," Vanessa let him know. "And we'd like to have a memorial service. Here."

"Very well. And do you know when you'd like to schedule that for?"

Brian could tell Vanessa was on overload.

"Can we get back to you on that?" he asked the man.

"Yes. Just give me a call at your convenience," the man said as he handed Brian a business card.

He knew the other shoe was about to drop and waited.

"We will, however, need to take care of the deposit today," the man said so nicely it almost seemed like it would be a pleasure to pay.

Half was due now and the other half once the service was complete. Vanessa fished out a credit card and handed it to the man who was typing up the contract on his computer. He set it aside until he finished, hit 'print', then passed the document to Vanessa and waited for her to read it over and sign it.

Brian moved closer, and when he did, Vanessa laid it on the chair's armrest and said, "Oh. Yes. Please read it with me."

"Looks pretty standard," he said after giving it a once over.

"If you'll sign for me, I'll take care of everything else," the older man said, a smile that seemed to be perpetually glued on his face.

Back outside, the rain had temporarily stopped, and Vanessa said maybe it was an omen.

"A good omen."

"Let's hope so," Brian replied as he opened her door.

"So...lunch or the shop?" he asked once he had the car started.

"I think I can eat now. I feel a lot better," she replied, smiling as much as she could.

He offered several choices, and all of them sounded fine.

"You choose," she told him.

"You sure?"

"Uh-huh. I trust you."

This time she smiled differently, and Brian returned it in kind.

"Okay. I know just the place for the kind of comfort food called for in this situation," he told her as he put it in reverse and started backing out.

"This is the best thing I've ever eaten!" Vanessa said after taking a bite of something called The Reggie.

Pine State Biscuits served six different choices of sandwiches, and this one was filled with fried chicken, bacon & cheese, and was topped with gravy. All of the biscuits were made fresh each morning, and Vanessa couldn't believe how good it tasted.

"This is my favorite place in Portland," Brian told her. "I don't come here very often, but when I do, I always enjoy it."

"I can see why! But I'm gonna have to not eat for two days after finishing this!" she told him as she took a second small bite.

"Like you need to worry about that!" Brian said with a laugh as he tried not to look at Vanessa's hard, firm body—again.

"Listen to you," she said, another smile on her very pretty face.

"I'm guessing you're into fitness. I just can't say what kind," Brian accurately guessed.

"Very good...Detective," she replied with a smile before sighing.

"It hasn't always been that way, though. In my youth, the last thing I wanted to do was go to a gym. In fact, there were three years that are pretty much a blur."

"And yet you turned that around. That's pretty amazing in my book."

"I owe it all to Gabe," she said with genuine sincerity.

"I believe you, and yet you still had to do the work, so don't sell yourself short."

"How about you, De...Brian?"

"I'm a racquetball fanatic. I play every chance I get."

"Seriously? I've always wanted to try it, but I've never played before. But I hear it's fantastic exercise."

"It really is. If you're into aerobics, it'll get your heart rate up, that's for sure, and it combines the skills of tennis and jai alai along with the brutal workout."

"Maybe you could teach me to play sometime. Not jai alai. Just racquetball. Well, if I'm here long enough."

"I'd love to," he told her as she continued whittling away the huge pile of carbohydrates and protein in front of her. It also had a ton of fat, but it was obvious that Vanessa had as close to none on her body as a woman who wasn't a bodybuilder could.

They spent the next few minutes talking about fitness, a subject both of them shared and enjoyed. It began with the things she liked starting with the treadmill and ending with Pilates.

"Pilates. Now that's something I've never tried. It always seemed 'too easy' to me, but I'm not going to say anything disparaging about it, because I did that once with aerobics. And then I tried it."

"And?"

"Um...talk about humbling," Brian said with a large amount of...humility.

"Have you used a reformer?" Vanessa asked.

"Uh-oh. I don't even know what that is," he admitted with a little wince.

"It's the Pilates machine that looks a little bit like a rower and...a torture rack."

Vanessa laughed for the first time since they'd met, and Brian couldn't help but notice how much more attractive she was to him when she smiled, and he'd thought she was very attractive when they met.

"Ah, so it's not just doing poses."

"No. That's Yoga. Pilates does do poses, but you work out through the poses. And then there's the...rack. Which adds to the workout. It's not for everyone, but I really enjoy it."

"I hope I'm not out of line saying this, but...it shows."

She smiled again then said, "Oh my goodness. Thank you!"

"You're obviously very fit," he told her.

"Thank you, and I'd say the same thing about you."

Brian didn't brag, so he didn't mention having won several tournaments over the last five years since he really got serious about his favorite sport. And there was no chance he was going to mention that his body fat content was around 12% let alone the washboard abs. He just loved playing, and from his perspective, the health benefits were a wonderful side benefit.

When the server came to ask if they wanted dessert, Vanessa laughed.

"I couldn't eat one more bite!" she told her as she asked for separate checks.

The waitress nodded then looked at Brian.

"No thank you, and please bring me the check. For both of us," he insisted even as Vanessa gave him a 'what are you doing' look.

"I didn't take you as a hardcore feminist," he told her with a smile.

"I...I'm not, but I can pay for my own food."

"I know you can," Brian replied very calmly. "I just don't think it's right since I invited you here."

He watched as Vanessa tilted her head slightly as though she were sizing him up.

"Thank you, Brian," she finally said in a sincere tone of voice. "That's...this is just one more thing that's very kind of you."

He assured her it was his pleasure, then handed his credit card to the girl when she came back.

"So...to the shop?" he asked once they were back in the car.

"Yes, please. I have a key but I've never used. So unless Gabe changed the locks, I'll be able to get in."

When they got to the front door, Brian asked her, "You sure you want to do this? We can come back another time."

"I'm sure. I really need to go inside."

"Okay," he replied as he stood to the side while she got out the key.

Vanessa inserted it into the lock which opened without a hitch. The utter silence inside was eerie, and it wasn't until much later that she wondered why there wasn't an alarm of any kind.

"Can I help you find anything, or would you like me to stay out of your way?" Brian asked as she looked around.

"I'm not even sure what it is I'm looking for. I know he had a will and that he left the shop to me, I just have no idea where anything might be."

"If we don't find anything here, I'd suggest looking for a bank where he might have a safe deposit box."

As he moved alongside of her, Vanessa instinctively put her arm through his then put her other arm on his biceps area as they went to a door that led to the basement.

Brian flipped the light switch then slowly took her down the stairs.

Vanessa blinked back tears as she fondly remembered playing down there on days when there wasn't any school and both of her parents had to be at the shop.

Vanessa spent about a few minutes opening boxes and looking in them as well as taking a quick look at everything else she could see. She spent almost as much time upstairs with most of it on a wall safe she knew was located behind a picture that was behind the counter. She used to love watching her mom or dad open it up and wonder about what was in it.

She'd never known the combination, and there was no reason for Gabe to have ever shared it with her. But now that she needed it, she realized how much she wished he had.

It was a very old analogue lock, so she wouldn't be locked out after several unsuccessful attempts and decided to give it a go. She tried several obvious choices like 1234, 1111, 2222, Gabe's birthday, their parents' birthdays, the day they were killed, and other similar things, but nothing worked. Out of curiosity, she used her birthday—6-4-79—sure it wouldn't work, either.

For at least the third time that day, she was surprised when the tumblers fell into place and the safe opened. Inside was some cash, an envelope with paperwork in it, and a laptop computer.

She pulled out the laptop, and this time she typed in her birthday again, but this time it didn't work. Out of curiosity, she tried her first name, and when she hit 'Enter', the screen came to life.

"My sweet brother," she said quietly as she began searching through its contents.

This was where Gabe kept all of his financial information, and although Vanessa was no CPA, she was able to see that the shop was doing quite well. Her brother told her a couple of years earlier that he'd paid off the mortgage on the building, and that, as a result, he'd finally started making decent money.

"Anything interesting?" Brian asked as she scanned through a bunch of spreadsheets.

"Maybe. I think I might not have too much trouble selling the shop if these numbers are accurate."

"Good news?"

She explained about Gabe owning the place outright, and how the spreadsheets indicated that the store was solidly in the black.

"Nice."

"I also want to see what's in this envelope," she told him as she reached back inside the safe to retrieve it.

When she flipped it over, she saw her name on it, and that made her shiver.

"What in the world is in here?" she mused out loud as she carefully opened it then removed the contents.

Inside was the last will and testament of Gabriel Alan Moore.

"Look," Vanessa said as she showed him the title of the document

"What's it say?" Brian asked, not wanting to read it unless she asked.

Vanessa began reading then looked up at him then said, "No surprises. As I suspected, I'm the new owner of the shop—and everything he has. Sorry. Had. And Gabe also named me the executor of his estate."

Oregon no longer used the outdated word 'executrix' for females, but Vanessa didn't know that nor would she have cared. She had assumed the shop would be hers, but didn't know how estate law worked in Oregon. Seeing it in black and white was the fourth surprise of the day.

"Is that what you want?" Brian asked. "You don't have to accept it. Either the shop or the estate. Or anything else, for that matter."

For the first time, she wondered what it would be like to live there again and to own the shop that had been in her family as long as she could remember.

"I...I didn't know that. But that makes sense. I suppose I just assumed that when you inherited something you had to accept it. And...I've never once given any serious thought about moving back to Portland. But I do love this store."

"Are you considering it now, by any chance?" Brian asked, a pleasant smile on his face.

"No. Well...maybe. I can't help but think about it, but there's no reason for me to stay. I mean, there's nothing else here for me other than the shop. Gabe was my last and only tie to the city and our childhood."

"Well, you have time to think about it. I hate to mention the word again, but you'll need death certificates to do anything. But you can take the will to an attorney in the meantime. Do you know who your brother worked with on legal matters by any chance?"

"I saw something on the laptop. If it's what I think it is, then yes, I'll have the name of his attorney."

It was in fact what she thought, but Vanessa didn't want to trouble Brian any further when she mentioned wanting to see him.

"You're not bothering me, Vanessa. At all," he told her. "You're the only priority I have right now, okay?"

She looked at him in an almost demure kind of way then said, "You've been such a blessing."

"I'm happy to help. And if you want to stop by the law office, let's do it."

He hadn't looked inside the safe yet, so before they left he shined his flashlight inside.

"Vanessa? Did you see this?" he asked as he reached way in back and picked something up.

"A key? Any idea what it goes to?" she asked.

"I was hoping you might know, but my best guess is a safe deposit box."

"But where?"

Vanessa's question was rhetorical, because there wasn't any information with the key.

"Let's hope the attorney knows," Brian said.

The receptionist at the law office of Rathburn and Carter was very pleasant and equally helpful. After checking with her boss, she led both of her guests to the office of David Rathburn, Attorney at Law.

He stood up and shook both of their hands then asked them to please have a seat.

"Would you like a cup of coffee or maybe some water?"

"No thank you," Vanessa said, Brian then saying the same thing.

"I am so sorry to hear about Gabe. He wasn't just a client, he was a friend," David said.

"He was such a gentle soul," Vanessa replied.

"He truly was," the attorney agreed before asking how he could help.

Vanessa produced the will and handed it to him, and the lawyer gave it a quick glance.

"Ah. Okay. I remember doing this up for Gabe last year," he told Vanessa. "You'll not only have the shop—if you want it—but his home, the car, and anything else of value to include money in any bank or credit union. Also any life insurance he may have had assuming you're the named beneficiary. I should warn you you'll also need to pay any outstanding debts from the estate—if you accept the role of executor."

"That could be significant," Brian warned.

"The detective is right, but I also did Gabe's taxes, and barring something about which I am unaware, I can assure you he was making a fair amount of money. At least for the last two years since he hired me."

"Is it possible to take a look at the returns?" Brian asked. "Just so Vanessa has an idea of the way things look?"

"Of course. Legally, she'll need a death certificate, but because that's a given, I have no problem with showing them to her. I just can't let anyone have them until we have the paperwork."

They discussed Gabe's finances, as far as his taxes revealed, and Vanessa not only didn't feel overly concerned about taking over the shop from a financial point of view, she was pleasantly surprised to learn her brother was doing so well.

"Any idea about this?" Brian asked as he asked Vanessa for the key.

"Oh. Sure. Yes, this is for a safety deposit box at Bank of America on NE Broadway. Whatever's in it, will be yours, too, if it's personal or real property or a legal document."

"But she'll need a death certificate, right?" Brian asked.

"Yes. In fact, when you order them, ask them for a dozen. You may not need that many, but everywhere you turn, you'll be asked for one."

Vanessa asked who did the ordering, and the attorney told her he could handle that for her if she wanted to retain his services. She knew that would be easier, but after the funeral home, she also knew that meant more money.

She tried not to show any emotion when he calmly stated his fee, but it was over a thousand dollars.

"I'll take care of expediting the death certificates, I'll file Gabe's will and have you appointed the executor, as well as anything else related to the estate for that amount," the attorney explained.

What might have taken up to two weeks without his help could be done in 3-4 days with it. When she turned to Brian for advice, he nodded.

"I'd do it," he quietly told her.

"Okay. Sign me up," she told her new lawyer who assured her he'd get to work on it ASAP.

"Wonderful. Just see the young lady who showed you in on your way out, and we'll be all set. And this means I'll be able to pick up the death certificates for you, too, so that'll save you some time and effort by not having to go to the courthouse."

Back in Brian's 'detective-mobile', he asked Vanessa if she wanted to go to the bank.

It was nearly 5pm, and Vanessa was tired of running around. Banks closed early, so she doubted it would be open, and she was finally tired of running around.

"No. I think I'd like to go back to the hotel and relax a little," she told him.

"I don't see you relaxing," Brian replied with a smile. "My money's on you finding a treadmill or a swimming pool before the night's over."

Vanessa laughed and told him he was probably right.

"Unless you want to...teach me how to play racquetball?" she said, surprising both Brian and herself.

She laughed when she said that, too, letting Brian know she was only kidding. Or at least that's what she told herself.

"If you're serious, Friday night is a good time to get a court," he told her with the kind of enthusiasm that came from loving the game.

"Oh, no. You've done so much already, and you have to be tired of hanging out with a middle-aged woman."

As he backed out he smiled and said with a straight face, "Listen to you. What middle-aged woman?"

Vanessa laughed again, and this time she said, "Ha! Listen to you!"

Brian chuckled then said, "I'm not only not tired of you, I would love to show you how to play."

She looked over at him, gave him another visual examination, then said, "Well, if you're sure you really don't mind."