You Break It, You Bought It.

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I'm sorry, Michelle, I truly am, but you're a very smart woman; you should've weighed the possible consequences before jumping into bed with a sleazeball like Clayton."

She knew he was right. She couldn't even blame it on making a hasty decision, she had days to think about and went ahead anyway. She also knew the fallout from her stupidity hadn't even started yet. She lost the bravado she displayed at the kitchen table. She'd lost any hope of getting him back.

"Okay, Adam, I won't give you any more trouble. I thought by giving it one last try, you'd maybe consent to couples' therapy or something, but I can see that's not going to happen. I'm so sorry."

"I know you are, Michelle, me too. Believe me, if I thought there was a way I could get over this, I'd hang in there, but it's just not going to happen."

"I'll sign the papers when I get home and send them in."

It was probably the saddest voice he'd ever heard anyone use.

Epilogue:

That year, Michelle's parents got tired of Chicago winters and moved to Florida. Michelle got tired of catching every trivial, unimportant story the paper could find and started sending out resumes'. She finally got an offer from the Atlanta Journal and moved. It was a smaller paper and she hated starting over in another town, but at least it was closer to her parents. She never did forgive herself for being so stupid and losing the man she'd always love.

After the engagement announcement in the paper, rumors started to fly. Quite a few of them involved Terry. Just as Adam had expected, a reporter, out to make a name for himself, started to investigate. At Terry's press conferences, the reporter was constantly asking embarrassing questions. The political hopeful wound up losing the election by three thousand votes and bitterly blamed his brother.

Clay had a hard time with the divorce and started drinking pretty heavily. After showing up at a construction site half in the bag, his brother fired him. Feeling sorry for himself just pushed him to drink more. It got to the point where his ex told him he couldn't see the kids if he wasn't stone-cold sober. He finally stopped coming around at all just about the time his ex started dating a nice guy. Clayton just kind of faded from sight and no one really missed him.

It would be a while before Adam would jump into the dating pool again. It was just going to take time before he would ever trust a woman again. Ironically, Charlene, the campaign office manager, bragged so much about Adam's photography that he started getting inquiries and opened a profitable little sideline of shooting portraits. It would never replace his job at the studio, but he was building a nice nest egg for happier times in the future.

If you break it, you pay, Clay.

The end.