All Comments on 'You Wandered Down the Lane'

by A_Bierce

Sort by:
  • 175 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
I haven't read it yet but you get an automatic 5*

For using the line from STARDUST

ibbunkibbunkover 3 years ago

While I appreciate your efforts, I found the story disjunctive an implausible.

Just_WordsJust_Wordsover 3 years ago
I can't.

I'm sorry, but that was hard to read. He tapes his wedding ring to the toilet on page 1 and he's wearing it on page 3? How much blame does he have to accept for her infidelity? And both kids are obnoxious bitches and by all accounts total zeroes. What is the point of this?

gatorhermitgatorhermitover 3 years ago
A sobering and thought provoking portrait (with a good ending)

Millennials are indeed very different. As I wander, still I wonder, who'll stop the rain?

Boyd PercyBoyd Percyover 3 years ago

Wonderful story! I guess all generations think the next one is going to hell in a hand basket. I couldn't figure out the stolen part. Did the name Pauline French have anything to do with it?

5

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Good lord he was a pussy

Why did this guy take so much shit from his 2 asshole kids and cum slut wife? I just don't get it. Wedding vows don't change, just cause the century do. Forsaking all other's still mean forsaking all other's. You can't take a break from your marriage, just cause you want to try a different dick. I kept reading hoping this guy grew some balls and tell his kids to go fuck themselves and for his slut wife to fuck off, but he just didn't grow any. He was focused on using the word FUCK..huh?!. When he banged Lily, I was like there you go, finally. But then he went home to the whore. His kids attitude really irritated me. I didn't like him begging to be in their lives. I would've stop all contact with the daughter once she started spewing her modern day new marriage rule bullshit. The son was just so immature and a bit of an asshole. They took their mother's side. They believed her.. that would've been all that mattered to me. I hold grudges. I don't forget people who has betrayed me. Ehh, I probably won't read this story again. It was boring and kinda didn't make any sense. Most husbands who get the I want to fuck other men talk, usually leaves the whore to fuck to her heart content. without them. The wife clearly moved her boyfriend in as soon as he was gone.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago

YAWN inducing, way, way too much unneeded details.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Truly pathetic

That was a very negative life he lived....is this what the modern generation in America feels? Or is it just you me Bierce??? If it’s the American pie generation...then I feel sorry for the institution of monogamy and marriage...

A few years down the line I am sure 90 percent of American kids won’t be sure who their fathers are!!!

Best of luck..make America grate again!

Harryin VAHarryin VAover 3 years ago

Like every thing else this author has ever written this is vile repulsive irrational disgusting and just downright barely written and offensive

The explanation of human dynamics by the deranged crazy Asian old bitch Is a thing that this particular author has and every one of his stories. It's nothing but moral welter wisdom to the nth degree

The wife Shelley did something really warm. And she did it 1st period she began the affair behind the husband's back rubbed it in his face made fun of his emotions and his reactions and then demanded that he accepted.

She was the one who broke the marriage of thou contract 1st period the fact that the husband hooked up after a sensually the marriage had already ended does not make the 2 things equal.

This terrible awful irrational author does this sort of bullshits psychological ploy with every single story than he writes. It's absurd it does not work and any one with an IQ over 80 knows it's ridiculous

There are other drawings with the story.

turns out that the cheating wife lies to the Son so that when the husband is talking to his son explaining what has happened in the marriage he doesn't believe that his mom is whore.

But throughout the rest of the story that problem is never explained we're confronted. Canner the Sun still blames the husband completely for what happened and still has no idea that his mother is a hoar and never apologizes to his father.

Finally when the husband returns from his trip and the wife is trying to figure out what went wrong the marriage the husband says nothing. He cakes the blame.

Working hard and having old fashion values does not justify open disrespect hatred in school around on your spouse. Yet the husband given a perfect chance to shove it in the wife's face does nothing and says well the problem is me

truly pitiful awful story

SkubabillSkubabillover 3 years ago

Whike no Mark Twzin just like his namesake A_Bierce spins a good story. Well done!

lujon2019lujon2019over 3 years ago

"But she wasn't unfaithful,

**That bullshit lost you a star

.

"I don't think you killed our love, Shelly."

**There went another star

.

Lisa had come home for the weekend. When she told Shelly she was horribly embarrassed that her mother had "acted like such a public slut,"

**And another star - why would Lisa be upset? She APPROVED of her mother being a cock sleeve for randos, as evidence by her refusing to talk to her father for daring to be just as upset as she was. Keep better track of your characters past actions

.

**I know you said you rushed the ending but god damn - the son quit college becuase his mom was a lying whore? Why? The daughter sent an email justifying why she refused to talk to the father she was pissed at for being pissed even though she was also pissed at her mother? The son had to repay student loans - even though the parents were paying for college?

Pro tip, wait a week after you write a story, let your brain dump the memory of what you "know" you wrote and read it anew to catch your holes and misplaced storylines

green117green117over 3 years ago
Dang I love these puzzle stories...

Did catch the Curtis and Andrea reference... and I got intimations from the locations and some of the cuteness... I should work on the bartender, but I'm guessing JPB and the Landing Strip, but that is at the edge of my ken.

You are going to make half the commentariat annoyed, of course - how dare he not blow up when Shelley humped the guy... hypocrisy be damned.

As for the tale, there is so much hidden that coming to much of a conclusion isn't going to happen - like, Tanner... there is a Tanner out there, but if he is connected I don't know why... since the story (Lost Her to....) didn't give me a hook to make the connection ... let me look... oh goodie! back to FD45! I like quite a bit of his stuff... that would make the bartender... not Ed (that character is either never married, or married thousands and thousands of times... depending on your taste) but maybe Reg. Or someone else.

Anywho, thanks for all the f(ish)un,

Green-something

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
I'm too old

I see that the world had changed. I just had trouble seeing who was happier because of it.

timrivtimrivover 3 years ago

What happened to Shelly?

johntcookseyjohntcookseyover 3 years ago

A challenging and discomforting story of generational moral relativism . I’ll have to ponder this one a bit, and reconsider who, if anybody, to assign white and black hats to, but I suppose that’s the point, isn’t it? A well written and thoughtful piece.

HalfAsianWhoaHalfAsianWhoaover 3 years ago
Hm.

It was a good story but there was just something wrong about it, I just can't put my finger on it. Maybe the disrespectful kids.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Wedding ring?

He took it off and “taped” it to the toilet but had it on in the bar in another state. Careful about the details.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
What Utter dribble

I Dident get to the end, never read so much crap with so many mistakes tapped his wedding ring to the toilet seat, but was still wearing it, omg

Please don't write any more..... Please

Xzy89c1Xzy89c1over 3 years ago
A morality play

With so many contradictions that there was really no story. Just disjointed partial plots. Wish I could have past ten minutes back.

chytownchytownover 3 years ago
Very enjoyable Read****

Long but very entertaining. Thanks for sharing.

luedonluedonover 3 years ago
Now that was a fun family

Just reading the tags -- starting with '20 wasted years' -- says that the lane this story is going to wander down is an an uncomfortable one.

How many more wives in LW stories are going to present their wish to experience a bit of variety as an ultimatum to their husbands? As a general rule, ultimatums are not particularly successful devices for promoting marital harmony. (Or for getting what you want.)

But I thought it was an interesting little wander by Mr Bierce.

Lue

tennesseeredtennesseeredover 3 years ago
A good story

A-B always delivers a good tale. My worst criticism is the plethora of cliches and hackneyed phrases so common in casual writing. That, and the careless editing. Mixing up the new wife's name with the estranged daughter's was cringe-worthy. I suppose we were warned. Overall, a strong read. I'm guessing the "-30-" is the mark of a retired newspaper guy. A fiver.

LordSlamdawggLordSlamdawggover 3 years ago
Enjoyed the Narrator`s Meandering Juberous Quest for Clarity ( & Replacement for Rogue Wife)

The story really gained traction when the author allowed the heretofore faultless, starched white morals author to gain some shades of grey by trysting with 'the girl who got away. Then the wannabe wandering wife gained' some' grace ( if not redemption) by allowing the dissolution of 2 decade marriage to end with class sans her previous "hubby owes me a fidelity hall pass and he' ll just have to deal 'tude'.

The well-written mutual recognition that the marriage had indeed run its course once kids were launched into maws of higher education ( albeit only one of offspring thrived) was foundation for moving on to other partners who hopefully are more suited to spend the autumn of their lives together as their September days dwindle to a precious few. That tidbit played quite nicely as curtain dropped.

Ergo the obvious score

Full marks *****

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Contrived moral relativism

Even the hook up generation has some sense of morality, back stabbing is still frowned upon, whether or not you use the f bomb.

TajfaTajfaover 3 years ago

So they had a normal marriage and it was his fault she decided it would be okay to make him a cuckold? What kind of father had he been to his children? Must have been a terrible dad for them to round on him when their mother decided to be a cheating bitch. I really didn't like this story - oh times have changed and everyone should become cheats and care nought for their partners feelings. Would it not have been better if she had apoken about how she was feeling and suggested they make more of an effort? If that didn't work an amicable divorce could have been the answer. 4 stars for the quality of writing not the content.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
thought i wasn't going to like this story

and in many ways , i didn't. Didn't like other "get with the times, Pop" stories. affairs are breaking a vow to each other. But usually , because part of the marriage is broken. That is where, to my relief, the story goes. Not to a life of relationships outside of the marriage, but a broken marriage. I would prefer he not sleep with his first love, but it augments that story. But the kids need to re-evaluate things.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Seriously?

After all that we live happily ever after? You didn't rush the ending you cut and pasted it.

silentsoundsilentsoundover 3 years ago
Uh uhh...

Miserable unfortunately. This writer is good from what I remember. Must be conducting experiments. This guinea pig isn't having it.

The wife acted psychotic and the children were not far behind.

SunOceanSandSunOceanSandover 3 years ago

The last couple of pages poured Cold Water on what was a fairly good story...

☆☆☆s

HarddaysknightHarddaysknightover 3 years ago
The plot held my interest.

I liked how complicated life became. The one suggestion I would have is to try to avoid meanderings and stick to things which advance the plot.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago

This tale is not particularly original, too long, and erotically empty.

jasonnhjasonnhover 3 years ago
What garbage

Lousy, unrelenting preaching of low morals and loose living. Of course I'm disappointed he jumped into bed with Lily but it made it worse because the author used it to preach more. Once his wife declared her independence to screw around and, even more importantly, her total disrespect for her husband by telling him he would just have to live with it, the marriage was, in fact, morally over. The state issues a marriage license, not a morals license. The paperwork just took a while to catch up.

The kids piling on was just more dumping on the husband who had done nothing wrong. If the wife decided she wanted to rob a bank, should he have "accepted" that as well? Would the kids be "OK" with it? We each get to decide our own moral stance, within the law and standards, and his wife unilaterally abandoned the agreement they had. If she had gotten divorced and then hooked up with others that would have been her choice and respectful of the man she had spent decades with. But she didn't do that. She wanted her safe position with her husband and the fun but risky hook up life. If she had discussed it with him and he had freely agreed (like a moron) she would have been ethically good as well. Nope.

Demosthenes384bcDemosthenes384bcover 3 years ago
Pulled me in upfront but I drifted a way toward the end

Good read that had my heart pounding early on. Having sex, I mean fucking, Lily was too obvious a plot move, negating his moral dominance. I would have preferred they stopped short. I also would've liked a little more background on what was going through Shelly and the kids minds. In fairness, you did warn us up front of the stories shortcomings, so I gave you 5*.

sbrooks103xsbrooks103xover 3 years ago

I have no expertise, but they had $25,000 in a JOINT account. At a MINIMUM, he's entitled to $12,500, so he DOESN'T have to pay the $9,000 back, and IMHO, since there is no divorce action, YET, either owner of a joint account has total rights to the entire account.

No need for the back story about his early marriage and Mark, just go to him an talk.

I don't know why he cares if the times have changed - HE hasn't, and shouldn't have to.

It's not that his kids said "fuck," it's that they (or at least his daughter) thought that there was nothing wrong with his wife cheating.

I don't buy the whole "times have changed" crap. Maybe they have, but that doesn't mean that a relationship formed under the "old" rules can be unilaterally changed.

As has been said, how does he still have the wedding ring that he left at the house?

I can't believe that he gets so shocked at hearing "fuck."

I think after his wife has admitted to being at LEAST inappropriate with another man, with plans to fuck him, that he should be worried about committing adultery. At one point he mentioned her lover touching her UNDER her clothes, but she said he's SEEN every part of her body, so I'd imagine she was naked, and he probably touched her without her clothes in the way.

"Do it! My Depo-Provera is current!" - WTF? They're in the middle of sex, and she gets that specific?

I can't believe that they're worried that he might be just as guilty as Shelly is. This isn't a mathematical formula; he wouldn't even be there if Shelly didn't pull her shit. So, he's not entitled to dump Shelly and be pissed at his kids because he fucked Lilly?

"If it's okay for you and Lily to make love, why is it wrong for Shelly to fuck someone else?" - Because he wouldn't even be there to fuck Lily if Shelly had been faithful!

Lily came down the aisle on "Lily's arm?" I think you meant Iris!

I could have done without his self-flagellation. He was the victim.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Life is the boring stuff in between the highs and the lows

"What happened, Luke? How did it come to this? How did we get here?"

Shelly became bored with her life and circumstances. She decided to do some things to improve her life....get some more training and education and look for another job. Take care of herself and get in better shape to feel better about herself. She also used the boredom as an excuse to justify going out and fucking strange dick

Not once did she think to discuss any of her feelings or decisions with her husband Luke until she sat him down and gave him an ultimatum that she'd changed the rules of their marriage, she was free to fuck and consort with any man she chose and that Luke had no say in the manner except to be be a good little cockold and accept it and to continue to support her slutty ass while she did so.

Well, to all the bored husband and wives out there here's the reality - Most People Live Boring Lives. Most of us (and I am willing to bet on this) throughout our lifetime, have less than 500 interesting days. Which, assuming a person lives for 70 years, is less than 2% of our lives.

The grass is greener on the other side but then again, who really exposes you to their struggles?

To think that you have the most boring life among everyone around you is nothing but a consequence of looking outside for happiness and contentment.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
hmmm

NO just no, trying to psychobabble justification to cheat, to lie, to break your word.

I may be showing my age, but my generation was raised to honor your word,

To treat others how you wanted to be treated. To actually believe in and honor the bill of rights, the constitution, and to put service to others before yourself.

Most of the characters in this tale are morally bankrupt.

The husband should have left and instantly divorced unless you wrote in a lot of remorse and justify him keeping her.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Sorry!

Not for me! I know you were trying to take different slant, but you ended up with a very unlikable, pathetic protagonist. He started out as a man worthy of respect and admiration. To continue to pay tuition for adult children who talk to and treat him as these did is unthinkable. Neither have any respect for or appreciation so someone willing to pay for them to get Ivy League educations. No parents "owes" that to a child. If the wife wants no longer values him as a husband, okay, divorce. Give her the fifty percent and go on.

Also a realistic timeline would help, she is 40? Kids 20 and 21 year old kids? Possible? Yes, probable no. Married at 18 and pregnant at nineteen to a guy with college degree? Possible? Yes, probable no.

OPrimeOPrimeover 3 years ago
Confused

All the husband need to do was tell the wife if she continued cheating they were done. When she did sit down with her and begin the divorce. All this driving around was a waste.

He felt she was wrong and that was all the conformation he needed. If the kids wanted to champion mom, then divorce them too. He didn't need others to validate what he believed. He was supposed to be an adult.

If the wife thought there were problems in her marriage, she could have spoken with her husband.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Dumpster fire marriage

And a boring attempt to equate the wife who broke her vows, dissed her spouse, and announced her intended infidelity with her husband's reaction. Absolute bullshit false equivalency. Don't start no trouble won't be no trouble, as they say.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
way too long

This could be a nice 3 pager. Others used the same concept but did better because of the edits. Sharpen this up and don't have the husband take any blame. If there is any blame on his part it is him not noticing. He said early on she was in that situation because she made those decisions.

A_BierceA_Bierceover 3 years agoAuthor

That was embarrassing

Didn't rush just the ending, rushed the copy edit too. Wedding ring? What wedding ring? Yegods and little fishes!

I've resubmitted to patch that flub and fix a few typos. I hope my fan forgives me.

Danger09Danger09over 3 years ago
Just boring and made ZERO sense.

It was just a bunch of nonsense. 5 pages of nothing-ness. His kids were nothing but assholes. I wouldn't want anything to do with either of those bitches and he was practically begging to be in their lives. Why? I would be so embarrassed and ashamed if these were my kids with that type of moral compas/view on marriage. The daughter was my LEAST favorite. That little bitch can go to hell along with her gutter slut mother. The son sounded like a true loser. The story just didn't make any sense. How was the son working 2 jobs to pay back student loans when he said he was paying for their college? How did he tape his ring to the toilet seat but had it at the bar in another state? This writer was just as confused as we were. Literotica tricked me into reading this garbage. It had it at 5 stars!. I should've known better. Nothing this writer writes is worth 5 stars. All the men in his stories are nothing but wimps and the women nothing but sluts. The wife ruined the relationship when she fixed her dick sucker's to say she was going to date/fuck other men and he just had to deal with it. It doesn't matter she hadn't cheated yet. She already did cheat. I'm sure she discussed this with her would be lover beforehand. She also said they made put and he has felt her up. That is cheating! Just cause he has stuck his dick in doesn't mean the wife didn't break her marriage vows first. The wife showed no remorse, never apologized. and those kids also never showed any remorse or apologized to him for being upset that his wife wanted to whore around. Why would I want any of these turds in my life? The daughter audacity made me mad, she was upset when her friends told her about her slut mom but still never apologized to her dad and even had the nerve to block his number. This guy was such a loser. I didn't like anyone in this story. I didn't like this garbage. I wish I can wipe my shitty ass with it. It deserve to be flushed right down the toilet. I will make sure to stay away from anymore of your stories. 5 pages of pure bordome.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Not good with continuity.

He taped his wedding ring to the toilet, then wore it to the bar??

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
A pleasure

To read a well thought out story, after so many that have been so totally lacking lately.

I thought maybe a ‘4’, but fortunately read Harry’s comment before I marked it and realised it must be a ‘5’.

A few errors but they didn’t detract from the story. Yes I’m from that generation that values manners, honesty and good language and what the fuck’s wrong with that?

TheUnoriginalistTheUnoriginalistover 3 years ago
Huh

Well-written and engaging, but it describes a world that doesn’t exist. Young people these days aren’t statistically more likely than their parents’ generation to cheat or have open marriages...they’re just waiting longer to get married at all.

The Institute for Family Studies published a broad and well-designed study in 2017 which found that people born between 1940 and 1959—that is, people currently between 60 and 79 years old - reported experiencing or engaging in infidelity at higher rates than any other group. Which might help to explain why there is such a large cohort of people in that age range here, writing angry revenge stories.

dragonmann72dragonmann72over 3 years ago

No matter what, I will always give you a five.

I did have a few issues with the story though, he was gone two weeks and whatshisname had already moved clothes into the house. How long did she wait to bring hm over in the first place. Was Luke having to live with it include her moving the new guy in?

I never (as a rule) like stories that deal with dates and times, they get screwed up to easily. Using the numbers in the story and this year, Luke, Lily and Shelly are 66yrs old. Luke and Lily got married in 1995. Text messaging didn't start until 1993. So Tanner, Shelly and Lisa all had cell phones when they first became available, I doubt it.

For Lily to be so in love with Luke, why did she call out for Jake?

Anyway, thank you AB for making me use my idle brain.

hindsight2020hindsight2020over 3 years ago

2* is the best I can do. Way too many logical holes. Too much character inconsistencies. And with 5 pages it is not as if you did not have the room to tie it together.

Good plot idea, terrible execution.

UndrApprctdUndrApprctdover 3 years ago
Another Story Where the Characters Aren't Really Invested

Hard to care if they don't care. Not much depth or realistic motivation.

LenardSpencerLenardSpencerover 3 years ago
Interesting angle

You must remember the "details" in stories. He had been married 22 years when the "talk" happened. But again and again you went on about 20 years together.

He taped his wedding ring to the toilet before he left. But different people kept saying they saw his wedding ring on his hand. Details are important. I agree with you when you say it was a rushed finish. Why did the two adult children suddenly turn against their mother at the divorce when they had supported her views all during the lead up?

MaxiMilfMaxiMilfover 3 years ago
Good STORY but u emasculated hubby

Good STORY and well written. But as I was reading it, I kept saying that the wife was a slut and she destroyed a good marriage. Then you ended it by letting hubby take some of the blame. I believe that you unjustly de-balled him.

lee5456lee5456over 3 years ago
Stupider than Shit

He should not have cheated. He should have dumped the slut & walked away from the Brats

Longhorn__07Longhorn__07over 3 years ago
Interesting Beginning

Sorry, but the story line got lost in the weeds. Very sad.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Agree with last comments. Ring! emasculated!!slut

Cheating is cheating doesn't require physical intercourse.

Emotional and mental also count as much

Vows are forever

Society doesn't totally agree But we have a sick society

jtwheels

kuroneko_dkkuroneko_dkover 3 years ago
1 star

This is what happens in the western world, so many brainwashed people by the news.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Wondering about all the wandering

That was quite a wandering you led us on. I’m wondering, though, what was the point of all the wandering? This tale needs a laundering to clean it up.

Knoxhard

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Moral relativism was/is a Marxist tactic to destroy the west by internal rot.

Gauging by the world around us I'd say it's working as planned.

Look for Yuri Bezmenov on you tube.

Author is too smart to write such a stupid story with so many holes in it.

☆☆

CaOldDogCaOldDogover 3 years ago
Incomplete details

Why did Shelly fell unimportant and why did the children think dad was so out of touch? Did she try for years to get Luke to allow her to grow as a person or did he just expect her to be there when he wanted her? Was she so dumb that she thought that he would accept an ultimatum that she was going to take a lover? The trip down memory lane was interesting and all of a sudden he realized that he and his wife never loved each other and then you ended it.

MormonJackMormonJackover 3 years ago
Glad he dropped her in the end

Couldn't buy into what Mrs. Q had to say: "But she wasn't unfaithful, not in the strictest sense of sexual intercourse outside her marriage." Nope, doesn't work that way... forsaking all others doesn't just mean "sexual intercourse." She had to business searching outside of the marriage. Telling him that he just needed to learn to live her being with other men is clearly a violation of forsaking others.

But fucking-a... maybe I've not caught up to the 21st century.

JLRemora2JLRemora2over 3 years ago
Really?

The writing is okay, however...

The plot is half-assed, the morality rational used is bullshit.

The story left me feeling like I needed to take several doses of testosterone and a long hot shower with lots of soap.

Good luck, tho, I think you could be an excellent writer, if you're a bit more selective of the subject matter, at least here in LW.

Dittybopper6989Dittybopper6989over 3 years ago
Great story.

I think that soon after the talk, they should have applied for the divorce. His leaving his ring was symbol of the end. He also should have hung up on both his daughter and son once they indicated he was out of touch. He was forty and certainly not deserving of shit from his kids.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Terrific

Who knew, a thoughtful story in LW. 5 stars

UltimateHomeBodyUltimateHomeBodyover 3 years ago

Didn't understand the tags.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Finally!

A story with real emotions, and believable characters. Thanks, and don’t sweat the nay sayers.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
What a “family”

Not one redeeming character, they were all horrible.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Hmmm

Husband was a moron and the family was despicable, sorry I hated it!

BigDee44BigDee44over 3 years ago

The comments about “You are wearing a ring” should have been “I can see you used to wear a ring.” Also, why wasn’t Luke upset when Lily exclaimed during lovemaking, “Jake”? Pretty good story. I certainly stuck it out to the door! Could not leave a rating for some reason. 4 stars.

gingerhuntergingerhunterover 3 years ago
A world with no Buddhas

Luke and Shelley are sorry pieces of work. Disappointing that they divorced because they truly deserved each other. With those two for parents Lisa and Tanner were doomed from birth. A role model for each would sure be a blessing but there are none to be found wandering down this lane.

Surprisingly Luke's plan for his trip had potential but that hope was lost when his gurus proved so pitiful. His talks with Mark and Susan were painfully vacuous. Iris' thoughts had moments of promise but she tried to get Luke to run before walking. Knowing him and her daughter so well, she should have realized Do Not Fuck Each Other needed to be her first pearl of wisdom. Some folks just have to be spoon fed.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
She moved the boyfriend in Lready

Marriage was over before he left. She made promise that things might be better for them. I thought he left his wedding ring on the toilet before he left on his trip

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
hubby was a wimp

even the kids act like hubby was a wimp.they talked shit too hubby and he act like its' normal .nobody had respect for hubby.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Thanks for sharing...

Not that it means much, but I’ve followed you on this site since you were a debutante. If there is one thing to say, it’s that you’re definitely improving. I agree that you botched the ending of this tale, but to me your main problem is transferring accumulated knowledge or experience to tangible written emotions. You are almost there! Looking forward to your next posting

luedonluedonover 3 years ago
Re: "Huh" -- Unoriginalist comment

That study The Unoriginalist referred to included the so-called 'baby boomers' who became very experimental during the 1960s-70s period. Social life, home life, working life, and so on were all experimented with.

Some of us had successful experiments. Others didn't. The divorce rate rose. One sociologist wrote: "People say that the institution of marriage is failing. I say it is succeeding. People are trying it more often."

I agree with The Unoriginalist's suggestion that the study he quoted: "might help to explain why there is such a large cohort of people in that age range here, writing angry revenge stories."

Perhaps they were the ones who didn't have successful experiments.

Some of us learned from the experience, which is what you are supposed to do with experiments.

Lue

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
I’m impressed

Congratulations on a superb piece of writing.

I’ve read these stories for years an this is the first time I’ve ever had to leave a comment.

Well done indeed.

someoneothersomeoneotherover 3 years ago
Sad story with no hero

I prefer stories where there is at least one main protagonist that is at least a generally good person. Here, no protagonist is anything close to a hero.

The dialogue was sad, but this is the author's story. I just people don't accept the statements as being rational.

One minor side comment - no lawyer would represent both parties in a divorce or in any contractual relationship, as this would breach ethical rules.

SomeOneTwoThreeSomeOneTwoThreeover 3 years ago

Damn!

This story started so well.

Then slowly, but surely,

flushed down the toilet.

3 out of 5 from me.

onlythelonelyloveonlythelonelyloveover 3 years ago
He don’t know Squat about Swat!

Hi AB

I liked the story and the complexities of the male character. There was some nice work dissecting how out of touch and alienated he was from his own family. This a common theme in the LW category, and I really appreciate what I take to be a critique of common tropes. The aggrieved husband saying he gave everything and gets repaid with bupkis and disrespect. Probably true, but unless there is a Martian slut ray in operation, there are actual REASONS for why people do things. The fact that the children detest him suggests a lot more than he lets on. Our hero is an UNRELIABLE narrator—as many LW narrators are—his viewpoint is all we have to go on until we get to Lily and Iris. When he sleeps with his old flame, she and her mum both ask what it feels like to be a cheater. Super mature viewpoint for this category. Whose story gets to be the basis of judgement as the Eye of God? And why? I would have liked it better if his spouse hadn’t been rubbing stuff in his face by having the boyfriend sleeping over. What? He doesn’t have his own place? It just unnecessarily tilts things in a way it doesn’t have to. You get to firmer ground, but it felt to me like you were trying to wring some final drama!!! For what end?

As an aside: The fact he thinks Swat is a BS school is laughable and also says something about his character’s thought processes. It is a liberal institution for sure, but it is hard core about learning. Students work very hard there.g., a pizza party is where students get together, eat pizza, and STUDY. It is not known for its skilled Jesuitical equivocation! Swearing—this guy obviously hasn’t heard of “Code Switching.” Where has he been living? Under a rock? More evidence about how this guy behaves at home—flexibility is not his strong suit! As for dress codes in school—schools can get in trouble for not applying dress code equally regardless of gender, but if it is applied equally, schools could definitely, can, and DO ask students to change into more appropriate clothing. SCOTUS is pretty clear about this—there is a distinction between protesting the right of free speech in the clothing you wear AND violating the dress code. If genitals are in danger of hanging out, schools can and do regulate that legally; community standards—it all comes down to whether student action interferes with the orderly business of school; you know, to learn...

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
kid the kids know?

unclear if the kids approved or not at thr beginning. good story overall.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Finally an intelligent story!!!

Your character's feeling of "what's the world coming to" is something I often experience when I read the angry misogynistic crap that appears in LW. It's too predictably one sided and the revenge is so over the top that I lose all sympathy for the "wronged husband". Your story felt much more like real life and demonstrated that very very few divorces are as one-sided as portrayed here by the angry mob. So, thank you for a well-written tale that didn't make me cringe.

R.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
stereotype of an american family

everyone hates each other. maga.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
I don't get it

This sure generated a lot of long, passionate comments, many of which were rather negative. I thought this was one of he author's best stories (as I old him in private feedback), in which he describes a character's evolution, going from dogmatic to questioning, realizing he doesn't have all the answers, and accepting that his own behavior can run contrary to his (supposed) beliefs. The author accomplished all this without bludgeoning the reader with the ethical and philosophical dilemmas, demonstrating rather than pontificating. I thought the length was appropriate to accomplish this and what some might consider meandering, I would consider part of the exposition. For me, a very professional effort.

Rocky62Rocky62over 3 years ago

A little commupance to the male interloper woulda been nice too

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago

After all the wailing and gnashing of teeth, it wasn't about Luke being out of step with changing mores, but the fact that after 22 years of marriage he still was carrying a torch for Lily, Sherry was a rebound and he never came to really and truly love Sherry as he should have as his wife. Lack of communication was also a significant factor. Sherry never talked to Luke about her wanting more out of life or that she wasn't happy with their marriage but unilaterally decided to try to get a better job and start an affair.

Notes: the ring issue, mix ups on kids names and colleges, and the entire scene at the bar. Best thing about the bar scene was that Luke got 2 free beers.

Why is it so cool when an author puts in references to other stories, either their own or other authors? I can barely manage to remember to take my pills in the morning let alone catch obscure references to other stories.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago

Good story. I hate cheaters especially when they give ultimatums to their spouse. She cheated emotionally and physically and told him he had to deal with it . His cheating was a reaction to her that he wouldn’t have done or looked for if she didn’t . Also the guy going in his home while he was gone is a no no . I’d have tossed the chair , bed and god knows what else because I’d have went crazy . If I was one of the kids I’d of cut mother out for good . It might be really mean or spiteful but warranted. In the end he got what he wanted but I think I’d be way more destructive financially. Leave her the house and that’s it . I’d have taken money to buy a conff d o or small home for me paid the kids college if there was money, liquidated my retirement and split the savings and checking with her . No alimony, she got the bigger paid off house to sell if she chose . What the wife missed was 95% of men are dick thinking assholes. She was looked at as a local older cheating married mom. All guys want to fuck anything and most dickheads love the married ones , a dominant thing I guess. That’s probably why she left the wedding, because d sad he knew she gave up a hubby who was a good loyal hardworking man with morals for a fresh cock , really sad how it gets to thss as t but it happens often with the wife or husband. The old saying the grass is always greener

GladstonGlieseGladstonGlieseover 3 years ago
Did I just take crazy pills?

Inconsistent in both logic and character behavior. For lack of a better description, this feels like the author didn't understand their own story.

mattenwmattenwover 3 years ago

In terms of content, this story is pure nonsense for me. Above all, the statement that young people do not place as much value on loyalty, respect and love as senior citizens is simply wrong! You'd better do your research! Some statements are simply not understandable (see wedding ring)!

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago

This must be on a different planet! Luke is such a fucking cunt that he is more worried about his kids swearing than his slut screwing some twat.

He's such a pussy lily will be enjoying strange dick before long.

He doesn't blast Shelly the minute she mentions her boyfriend.

His kids speak to him like shit and effectively disown him.

His so called best friend and cousin tell him that Shelley screwing around is to be expected. As for kids having no respect and disregarding loyalty and truth, that is such shit. OK they may have finally recognised that a bunch of letters are only as powerful as you let them be. That so long as it's consensual and safe even legality isn't a big issue. Good luck to them!

He has no argument for Mrs Qi? Shelley admitted to failing any spouse test and threatened to go further. Shelly pushed Luke away 21st century or not, Mrs Qi arguments were BS. There also a thing called conspiracy, Shelly is guilty of conspiracy to commit adultery. That is if you don't believe her emotional affair was sufficient.

When he got home he didn't throw loverboys stuff out onto the street or go and wait to come back and confront him. Not to blame, jesus h christ! If that cat was not mine and killed a songbird I liked in my garden, I'd kill it. He knew she was married and went there. Oh the bank left the vault open, so we can't go to jail... try it.

These kids who disowned him, adults, fuck paying 1% of their college let alone 70% and if they are paying why did Tanner have a loan?

Paying for her flat and alimony... isn't alimony to pay for the flat. Alimony until she gets a better job? Sap!

I would also be looking at the company morality clause looking to get them both sacked.

Most of ire stems from her turning the kids on him (her bs to Tanner widened the gap). If my marriage is over I only have my kids, if they disown me. A man with nothing to lose....

I hope this doesn't reflect the author, because he has a sad existence if he believes the 21st century is like this. Removing the stick over 'bad' language would be a start.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
TRUE MATURITY...............

Has personal integrity. Our protagonist had matured. Everyone else based moral integrity on what this incredibly hateful, selfish immoral society thinks. I applaud his commitment to what's right instead what's simply self serving

Just_WordsJust_Wordsover 3 years ago

The kids were horribly immature. He raised two real duds, but I guess in time the got a little better (just a little). The wife who wants to play was a lost cause. Very few marriages come back from that and even fewer are happy. He had nothing to feel guilty about given the circumstances. It does make we wonder how his life came to that point? How did he raise such selfish kids and why did he marry such a clueless wife?

lee5456lee5456over 3 years ago
Wow

I may be an old man but I still believe in marital vows

JonDoe315JonDoe315over 3 years ago

sorry but the whole sense of new age mumbo jumbo is sickening. the bitch and kids shouldve got their punishment.

WillowghbyWillowghbyover 3 years ago
Infidelity, Inconsistency, and Hypocrisy

Some of the characters do not recognize their own hypocrisy in blaming others for being judgmental, yet practice that very trait. Who "throws the first stone" of infidelity and opens the door to divorce is lost as the story unfolds. An uncomfortable shuffling of the deck chairs occurs with strained tolerance in place of previous relationships, then each person continues their own lifeline - perhaps no more happy than before. While these elements of the story have generated dozens of comments below - it is all so realistic that we seem to have failed to recognize what actually occurs in real life. Sorry A_Bierce, your story is too true to life and not enough of a fantasy to satisfy the LW reader. I admire your rendering of real-life inconsistency and hypocrisy.

Keep 'em comin'.

Schwanze1Schwanze1over 3 years ago
Page 2 reading again

He's getting advice from twits. Walk away, marry again and make another family. Given his age and experience, he should be able to choose better this time.

Then show up at his daughter's wedding, stand up and speak when the pastor asks if there's anyone with a reason why these two should not marry. "Yes, she encouraged her mother to cheat on me. You might want to think twice about marrying the little slut."

Schwanze1Schwanze1over 3 years ago
And

Stupid advice from Mrs. Q. Fuck why. His whole family is beyond worthless. Cut his losses and move on.

Schwanze1Schwanze1over 3 years ago
And

More stupid advice from Q. Dump his whole damn family. Quick.

Schwanze1Schwanze1over 3 years ago
Seriously?

What happened Luke? She became an adulteress, that's what happened you bupid stitch.

Schwanze1Schwanze1over 3 years ago
And

now more namby pamby pussy new age bullshit. And fuck the kids college expenses.

Schwanze1Schwanze1over 3 years ago
Lisa

Oh NOW Lisa has a problem with her mother's behavior because it affects HER.

Schwanze1Schwanze1over 3 years ago
And then

The little cunt said don't call again. Good advice. Why did he call in the first place. Why in the fucking hell is he paying for shit for her???

Schwanze1Schwanze1over 3 years ago
And now

he's shed of his little bastard son. Finally some good news. Oh wait, he called the little bastard one last time for some reason.

Schwanze1Schwanze1over 3 years ago
And then

He married his new wife with a Wiccan officiating while the bagpipes played Amazing Grace and his little slut enabling daughter participated. WTF is wrong with you???

12
Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous