You're Always 17 Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Obviously wanting to change the subject so we didn't get bogged down in the quagmire that is our mother, Brooke brightly asked, "Did you wonder how the reunion committee found you?"

"As a matter of fact, I did! How did that come about?"

"Alex hired a heavy equipment operator who listed 'Pitaya Ventures' out in New Mexico as his employer for the past several years. Your brothers remembered how you'd go pick pitayas every May, fix them up like strawberries, and serve them for dessert, so Alex asked Rene for the name of the man he worked for. He said River hired him, but his crew worked under the direction of a guy named Theo.

"We got on the internet and found your company and a little about you from a couple of newspaper articles. Seems you had been married to a doctor but got a divorce after a problem with a senator's son, and then we saw where you guys got these high eight-figure contracts from the state to clean up old wells. The state comptroller lists addresses and phone numbers of principals, so I called the business number and Katrina answered.

"She told me mail sent to the company would be given to you, and we talked a little. She promised to help persuade you to come to the reunion, and the committee - well, Nita - told me you paid up and you'd be coming. Kathy and I checked back with Katrina from time to time, and a few months ago Shannon answered when we called.

"We talked for a while; she said you had changed your mind about coming but she would work on you. Two weeks ago, she called to say she had booked rooms for you here, and we started making plans with your brothers.

"Ken called when you checked in, and then I saw that fancy Denali ride down our road, turn around, and ride back to town. Ken said that was you guys, so I told your brothers. We knew your reservations ran through Tuesday and we were hopeful you'd stop by today, but after seeing you last night your brothers ran out of patience. So here we are!"

"Well, thank you for being creative and persistent. I should have checked back years ago, but I was so angry and disillusioned I couldn't make myself. I was confident that Will could handle Dad - he was already bigger and stronger than I was when I confronted the old man the first time, and Dad wasn't the man he had been when he was younger.

"From the vehicles we saw when we rode by, you and Alex have an excavation and dirt work company, and Will and Kathy have an electrical company. How did that come about?"

"We both worked for Dad, and like you, had to learn how to fix the old worn-out equipment to keep it running," Alex explained. "I had a knack for operating equipment, so after a while, when we didn't have enough work for two, Will would work for old man Jimenez, the electrician. Will was always good with electricity, and he took some construction related CTE courses in high school. Then he took some online courses, and just after his eighteenth birthday he got his first credentials.

"He bought out Mr. J and opened his business at age 19, and I opened my own business as soon as I graduated. You might have noticed that both companies have Carr in the name. After the big middle finger you gave the town when you left, at first we thought that might be a gamble. With the purge of the Smithermans, though, it became a symbol of courage and resistance around town. We didn't really care either way; we're not so proud of our parents, but we're your brothers and we aren't backing down!"

Brooke redirected us again. "Kathy told you she and Will had been high school sweethearts and got married at the courthouse as soon as they turned eighteen. Our story is about the same.

"We got married when I turned eighteen and we had Angela Angel, as you call her, seven months later. I swear we didn't know, but it was the best mistake we ever made, and we're going for number three of four. It's another boy, so maybe we can conjure up another girl before I shut down the factory."

"Don't look at us!" Kathy protested when I gave them an inquiring look. "We're happy with these two hellions, although there may come a day when we decide to add one. Now, let's talk about you and this 'Playboy Bunny' you're engaged to. And don't give me that look; that's what Katrina called her when she texted us her picture! When and where are you getting married, and where are you going to live?"

Shannon gave Katrina a nasty look, and then laughed. "I'd give you hell about that, Lady, but to be honest, it's not the first time I've been called that. In fact, I was Miss December in two 'Playgirls of Texas Tech' calendars!"

Then she looked at me and claimed, "Don't worry, Honey, I just posed in one of my cheerleader uniforms, but I won't say which one!

"Anyway, we're getting married in in my hometown of Highland Park - the one in Dallas, not Amarillo - on October 22. Your invitations are in my luggage in the hotel, I have rooms reserved for you guys and your kids at the wedding hotel, and we'll be glad to fly you on Southwest from San Antonio to Dallas Love Field. Love is much closer to the hotel and church than DFW.

"Mom and Dad offered their Suburban, so you won't have to rent anything. We already have a day care team coming to take care of children during the reception if you choose, so that's one less problem. Oh, and it's still safe for you to travel then, right Brooke?

Brooke smiled, nodded, and said she was thrilled about getting to go!

The conversation moved from topic to topic after that, until River offered to send some work their way, since we work with companies that are also active in the Eagle Ford. Will shook his head and said, "Not unless you can send some help our way first. Seems like you big boys out in the Permian are overpaying your help!"

Shannon laughed at that, and replied, "You can't overpay people to live in Orla, and work in places like Mentone or the badlands of New Mexico, but yes, we do pay well. Pitaya Ventures has the best HR department in oilfield services, though, and it's possible you could influence them to give you a hand - interested?"

"Damn right!" they replied in unison. "Who do we need to contact?" Will asked.

Shannon gestured at Katrina and herself and chuckled again. "We'll get your information before we leave and give you ours. I hope neither of you has a problem with young men or women coming out of trade schools, because you've got three good ones down this way. They require some real-world training, but after he gets them fully trained, Theo has always been pleased with their performance."

Kenneth opened the door and warned, "Dining room opens in ten minutes, so y'all come on and get seated before the lines get long."

We all arose, and the mommies were about to call the children when Kenneth nonchalantly asked River, "Y'all still planning to head northwest Tuesday morning?"

River looked at me with a shrug, so I answered, "That's the plan. Why?"

"Too bad. I got an invite a few minutes ago, and it included 'the Carr boys and whoever they want to bring.' It's not often this happens, and even less often when outsiders and people like us get invited to a songwriters round out in Will's barn. Usually it's his bunch, Tim and Sierra, and some of his and Woody's other classmates and friends.

"Pretty cool though, having songwriters from all over Texas, and usually a few others fly in from Nashville or LA. They sit around the firepit, tell stories, and try out new songs. Wish you weren't going home."

I looked at my wide-eyed fiancée, River, Katrina, and my brothers and wives, and told Ken, "Plans are made to be changed, Bud! I want to see our parents, show these uplanders around, and maybe drink another beer out at Billy Goat, so staying to listen to songwriters is just another good reason to be here a little longer. When is this event?"

"Wednesday night at 6:30. Burgers, brats, wieners, buns, and condiments provided; BYOB. It goes on until no one else wants to sing, so sometimes we have hot dogs for breakfast, too."

Shannon squealed in delight, clasped her hands together, and declared, "I'm a rich, spoiled princess from Highland Park and a Texas Tech sorority chick, cheerleader, and Homecoming queen, but I've already had more fun on this trip than anything I've done before, and now THIS! TMC, you are going to be VERY happy you finally agreed to come down here when I get through with you tonight!"

Everyone in the room except me roared in laughter; I maintained a bland face, and said, "It would be hard to make me happier than I already am, but feel free to try."

More laughter, and then a warning from Kathy, "You two clean up your act now; we're getting the kids, and little pitchers have big ears!"

Shannon got turkey and dressing, I got roast beef, and we traded around enough to know both were excellent. We, as the extended Carr family, decided Sunday afternoon was as good a time as any to drop by the homeplace. We took one of each lunch specials and a pecan pie as peace offerings and followed Alex and Will out there.

I can't say warm feelings flooded over me when I stepped on the rickety porch, or when I followed my brothers and their families through the door and into the living room. Seeing my emaciated-looking mother huddled under a crochet blanket on the rundown couch certainly did not, nor did seeing the skeletal remains of my father sitting in his chair with the remote.

Ten years was long enough for Will and Alex to grow up and start businesses and families, but my parents aged thirty years in those ten, and it didn't look like they had eaten very often, either. Mom was fifty years old going on eighty, and Dad was the ancient shell of the robust man I remembered. Shannon's look of horror immediately changed to sympathy, but my heart remained cool if not cold. They made their bed...

Mom managed to smile for her grandchildren as they swarmed around her, and then for their mothers. She nodded at her younger sons, and then her eyes wandered our way. No sign of recognition for Katrina, River, or Shannon, but her eyes locked on me with curiosity.

"Momma, don't you remember Theo, your oldest son?" Will asked, as he took my arm and nudged me toward her. She looked confused for a moment, and then inquired, "Theo, is that you?"

"It is, Momma. I've been gone for a while, but it's good to see you. This is my fiancée, Shannon Barnes, and these are Katrina and River Payton, my bosses," I explained as I moved toward her. She watched me approach, glanced at the others as I named them, and then turned her attention back to Angela, who stood beside her and gave her a kiss. She patted the young girl, and then looked around the room again, appearing more confused than happy or welcoming.

Seeing nothing much had changed except the extraordinary aging she had undergone, I led my crew over to my father's chair and reintroduced them. He nodded, but made no effort to rise, shake hands, or introduce himself. He did affix his cold eyes on me, and observe, "Well, at least you ain't in prison, like I expected. You never was much account, but beating up on two cops and then runnin' off was low, even for you!"

He always did have a way of pissing me off, and I replied. "Nah, it's not me that's been in prison, it's those two deputies. Ever hear why I beat them up?"

Kathy loudly said, "Little pitchers!" She rounded the kids up and shooed them out the door, and then returned to listen.

"Cain't recollect that I did, other than that you was just plain mean," the old man replied.

"It was because I watched them pull over a car with a young boy and a young girl out on Kendall Lane. My girlfriend and I were parked on a private road about thirty yards away, so we saw and heard the whole thing. Barry Smitherman took the keys from the boy, opened the trunk, and tossed a bag in. He then pulled it out and loudly claimed he found a baggie of marijuana and a bottle of vodka in the trunk.

"He and Clawson made them get out of the car, lean on it, and searched them very thoroughly. The Ramirez girl was already crying - she was fifteen and Rob Garcia was sixteen; he had just gotten his license, and it was their first date.

"The first thing out of Smitherman's mouth was, 'Well, we caught you two with the goods this time! We'll have to haul you to town, toss you in jail, and maybe Monday or so the judge will set your bail. It'll be high, since that is enough dope to classify you as a seller, so you're looking at 5-10 years in prison!'

"I was with Nita Garcia that night, and Robbie is her little brother. She was about to go crazy, but I kept her from screaming and running over there by telling her we couldn't help if they knew we were there. If they did, they'd haul the kids off to jail, charge them with a bunch of stuff, and the crooked judge would see to it that they were convicted and sent to prison, even though both were innocent of anything but riding down a dirt lane.

"Smitherman was standing behind Robbie, and Clawson was behind Mindy Ramirez with his hands on her little hips. 'Of course, there is a way around this, if you want to stay out of jail over the weekend and not serve ten years for dealing dope. Want to know what it is?"

"Mindy was crying so hard she couldn't answer, but Robbie asked what they had to do, between sobs.

"Just take your clothes off and do what we tell you to do. We'll teach you youngsters how it's done, and then you can go practice."

"Mindy, a virgin, began shrieking upon hearing that, and Robbie was shaking his head and begging. Clawson slapped Mindy and told her to shut up or he'd do her right there!"

"She kept crying, so he jammed her head against the door glass with one hand, unbuckled with the other, and let his pants fall to the ground.

"Smitherman pulled his revolver, laid it along Robbie's cheek, and told him to pull his pants and panties off or die!"

"I saw the safety was on, so I moved in behind him and kidney punched him with everything I had. He collapsed and the gun went flying; I kicked him in the ribs and raced around the car to face Clawson, who was trying to find his gun holster among his pants, which were lying in a pile on the ground.

"I did beat the immortal hell out of him, and I admit it, but most of the damage to Smitherman came from Nita kicking him, and Clawson's worst injuries were from Robbie and Mindy kicking him while he rolled around and cried.

"So that's the reason I beat the hell out of two deputies, and I only wish I could have done it each time they did the same thing to other innocent kids!"

The old man scoffed, muttered, and then said, "Weren't your problem. Should have stayed out of it! They was just meskins anyway."

I closed my eyes, shook my head, and said, "Fuck you, Old Man! You never had an ounce of decency in your body!"

I turned and went out the door, followed by everyone else.

"Our house," Kathy ordered.

River drove the Denali around; I walked and raged, with Shannon by my side, letting me talk the fury out. We walked past Will's gate and then Alex's, and a half-mile more in the red sand before I stood, cursed for a minute straight. I then sighed, looked at Shannon, and said I'm sorry.

"I understand, Theo - I really do!" she replied. "I knew what you had said about them, but I wasn't prepared for THAT. And I wanted to slap the shit out of your old man when he said what he said about you and the kids you saved!

"My only problem with you is making me walk this far in this hot red sand! My sandals will never be the same!"

The look of revulsion on her face was must too stinkin' cute, and that was the perfect way to yank me out of my fury. I grabbed her, tossed her behind me, and carried her piggyback all the way to Will and Kathy's, with her giggling and laughing like a kid the whole way!

The Carr boys and their loved ones held a war council, and, after an internet search, had a plan. I had considered buying my parents a double-wide to live out their days in, but it was clear they were too far gone for that. We settled on an 'elevated/advanced care assisted living facility' that had recently been completed on the edge of town, overlooking the river. It might take a court order, but there was no way either could pass a competency test, and it was obvious they were on the edge of starvation, in spite of the food and meals my brothers and their wives brought them.

I agreed to pay for one year in the facility, if my brothers would take care of any other medical expenses and their incidentals. They quickly agreed, since both were on Alex's insurance anyway, so we would do the paperwork at the facility tomorrow, and then the women would con them into making the move. If they balked, we'd start the process of getting the court order by asking for a 'wellness visit' from human services.

They might have been horrible parents, but they were going to have to find another way to kill themselves in their fifties.

My beautiful nieces and nephews were asleep on the two sets of bunk beds in Will's home, and my beautiful sisters-in-law were certain their husbands needed a nap too, because they were fixing hot dogs for the kids in a couple of hours.

With tomorrow looking busy, I insisted my bunch get in the Denali and let me give them the grand tour of beautiful Cowtown and its environs. I think everyone else preferred the 'nap' idea, but I was far too animated and emotional, so they loaded up with me driving, and off we went.

Our father, William Alexander Carr, was the aberration in the Carr family. We descend from a long line of pioneers who arrived in the US before 1770, fought in the Revolutionary War, became successful farmers, ranchers, and businessmen, and served terms in state and national legislatures. Our 5th-great-grandfather served in Andrew Jackson's cabinet before migrating to Texas with his brood of eight children, so we weren't always 'white trash.'

In fact, several of the oldest brick buildings in Cowtown were built by our 3rd great-grandfather and his brother. They organized the first Methodist Church, Masonic Lodge, and public schools, and our great-great-grandfather was the county judge for many years. He was ten years retired when he died, but they still closed the town for his funeral.

Unfortunately, my great-grandfather died young, leaving only my grandfather, who was raised by his mother and a stepfather who resented the hell out of that responsibility. He was mean as a snake, and that passed to his unwanted stepson. As a Smitherman once said in derision, "The blood grows weaker and weaker in your family, Carr, and you're the weakest!"

He recanted that statement when he woke up, bruised and bleeding, but that resulted in my first stay in jail - as a thirteen-year-old! His nose probably still bleeds, but it's straighter after the surgeries than it was.

I recounted my genealogy as I parked in front of the Carr Mercantile, then the United Methodist Church, the Masonic Hall, and the old 'grammar school' that is now a museum. Carrs were instrumental in organizing and building all, and yet, I lamented, here in Cowtown that bloodline came down to my father, William Alexander.

Katrina quickly corrected me. "No, it doesn't. It comes down to William Monroe and his kids, George Alexander and his, and you and whatever kids you have! As you said, your dad is the aberration, but you and your brothers picked up the mantle from your great-great grandfather and are doing wonderful things. As highly thought of as your brothers are at their ages, I suspect by the time they are in their thirties, they will be in leadership positions here."

Having slapped me out of my melancholy, Katrina and River wanted to see Billy Goat Hill, Vincent's Crossing, and other places they heard about in the Pundits' songs, and in my stories when drunk. That's a sad commentary on my life, that I have never talked about home unless drunk, and I don't get drunk very often. Except maybe after I filed for divorce.

1...56789...12