You're Gonna Love Yourself In The Morning

Story Info
Helping her heal from an abusive relationship.
13.7k words
4.82
8.8k
37
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Trionyx
Trionyx
1,168 Followers

This is submitted for the "Karaoke 2023" Author Challenge. Details of the title song 'You're Gonna Love Yourself in the Morning' follow the story.

-----

'That is one broken woman,' thought Jerry as he watched the new waitress at Joe's Diner serve other customers. She seemed hesitant, failed to look others in the eye and had a soft, almost apologetic voice. Once she saw Jerry waiting at the door, she asked if he wanted a booth or the counter. As it wasn't busy, he chose a booth and sat where he could watch the goings-on in the diner.

"Coffee, Sir?"

"Yes, please. Cream, no sugar."

When she brought the coffee to him, she had forgotten the cream. Upon being reminded, she apologized repeatedly as she ran to get it for him.

"There you go, Sir, and sorry again."

"No harm, no foul. Thank you."

"Do you need a menu or..."

"All I want is this coffee and one of Joe's famous sticky buns, please."

"Coming right up."

Jerry watched her as she hustled from table to table. She was obviously new and needed to make several trips to the tables when an experienced waitress would have handled things much more efficiently. Her voice was soft but he heard her saying 'sorry' over and over again.

A few minutes later she hustled to his booth with the sticky bun while apologizing for the delay.

"No, it's quite alright. I'm in no hurry and you're obviously busy this morning. Please tell Joe 'Hi' from Jerry. That's me."

"Yes, Sir, will do." She hurried off to attend to a table with a family of rambunctious kids and a frazzled looking mom.

Halfway through his pastry, Jerry saw Joe come through the swinging doors from the kitchen and make his way to Jerry's table.

"Hey, Jer, how ya doin'?"

"Fine, Joe. You?"

"OK, I guess," he replied before looking around and lowering his voice. "Got a new waitress. Pretty green."

"Yeah, I see that. Nice, though."

"That's why I hired her. Well, also a favor to Denise."

"How's the lovely wife of yours, anyway?"

"Great. Wants me t' retire but what would I do wit' my time then?"

"Maybe go drown some worms."

"Oh, God, how borin'. I'd go bat-shit crazy sittin' there wit' a fishin' rod and nothin' else to do."

"Well, as one of your loyal customers, I'm glad to hear you want to hold off retiring just yet. So, how did Denise figure in with the new gal?"

"You know she volunteers at th' social center. Well, Nikky, that's this gal, seems she came into town in a beat-up car 'n' needed a job, otherwise she'd be on the streets. I agreed t' talk wit' her. I asked th' usual questions 'n' she said she was new t' th' area, was gettin' away from a 'bad scene' 'n' wanted t' work. Denied doin' drugs. Denise liked her so I agreed t' hire her."

"How she doing?"

"Like I said, pretty green, but she's a hard worker and never complains. Pretty quiet, which can hurt th' tips."

"Well, I hope things work out with her."

"I do too. Gotta git back t' work. Take care, Jerry. See ya around."

After Jerry finished his coffee and pastry, he signaled for the check. The waitress brought it with a sheepish look. "Sorry about the cream, Sir."

"Not a problem, uh, Nicole," he said reading her nametag.

"Oh, please, it's Nikky."

"OK, Nikky it is. I'm Jerry. Nice to meet you," he said as he gave her a twenty.

"Let me go get your change."

"No need, Nikky, keep it."

"Oh, Sir, uh, Jerry, I can't do that! It's way too much."

"It's fine and maybe it will help you remember the cream next time," he smiled.

"Oh, I will and thank you."

"Take care."

Two days later Jerry dropped by the diner again. "Hi, Jerry, booth or counter?"

"Booth, please."

"Coffee with cream?"

"Yes, Nikky. See? You remembered."

"I did and thank you again. I'll go get your mud."

As he sat there drinking his coffee and eating another pastry, Jerry pretended to read the newspaper while he surreptitiously watched Nikky. In the intervening two days she seemed to have become a little more efficient but was still quite reserved, soft spoken and kept her eyes downcast most of the time. She seemed thin and he could see her slacks had some loose wrinkles below her belt as they draped loosely over her ass. 'Looks like she's lost weight,' he mused to himself. At one point Joe dropped a pan in the kitchen surprising everyone in the diner but obviously scaring Nikky. She shrieked, almost dropped to the floor before recovering and going about her business.

Jerry realized something wasn't quite right with her. She had lost weight, was cowering at times, was always apologetic even for the most trivial things and was clearly frightened at the simple, loud noise from the kitchen. And she rarely smiled. 'It's going to be hard to make a go of it here if she doesn't open up to the customers and smile a little,' he thought. He realized he was late for an appointment at work and dropped another twenty on the table before rushing out the door.

On his next visit to the diner, Nikky came up to him with a bit of steel in her eyes, something Jerry liked to see.

"Booth again?"

"Yes, please."

"I'll bring your coffee."

When she returned with the coffee and cream, she looked Jerry right in the eyes. "I want to thank you for your tip again the other day."

"Sure thing."

"But I want you to know something."

"Shoot."

"I can't be bought."

"What?"

"I can't be bought. Don't think 'cause you're giving me money I'll go out with you or anything."

"Nikky, please understand I'm not trying to do any such thing."

"Then why are you tipping me way more than anyone else here?"

"Maybe I like the service."

"Don't try to BS a woman like me. I've been around the block a few times and I've had to deal with smooth guys who try to get into my pants and I won't fall for it. OK?"

"Fine, but I'm not trying to get into your pants. Maybe I see someone who needs a little something extra and I'm trying to help in my own little way."

She froze for a few seconds staring at him before a tear dripped down her cheek. She wiped it away before turning away to help another customer. By the time she returned, she had regained her composure and asked him for his order.

"Two eggs, over easy and two pieces of whole wheat toast with butter, no jam."

"Get in trouble for eating sticky buns?" she asked with a tiny grin, the first he had ever seen from her.

"No, I've got a busy day and need some energy which will last."

"OK. I'll be back with your order."

Jerry sensed a bit of relaxation from Nikky after that. She would even give him a tiny smile when he arrived, something few other customers received, at least from what he could see. He continued to leave generous tips and she continued to thank him profusely. He would watch her as she served the customers and over time, she seemed to loosen up. She moved more assertively, kept her head up and looked people in the eye more. Previously when a customer requested something such as another glass of water, she would apologize like she was somehow at fault. Fortunately, that habit also seemed to fade as the weeks went on. But she rarely smiled and never was flirty with the customers, something most waitresses learn to do to help improve the tipping.

He also noted she seemed to have gained some weight. Her pants had fewer loose wrinkles in them and her ass developed a nice roundness which was pleasing to his eyes.

On one cold, snowy day the diner was empty when Jerry arrived. Joe was over in the corner reading the sports page and Nikky sat idly behind the counter with a crumpled paperback book.

"Hi, everyone."

"Uh, Jerry, we're kinda busy right now. Mind comin' back in twenty minutes or so?" laughed Joe.

"No! I demand to be seated."

"Nikky, see if ya can find dis PIA a place to put his A. OK?"

Once he was seated and given his coffee, Nikky asked what he wanted for breakfast. Jerry decided to keep it simple and requested a sticky bun. "Don't want to overwhelm Joe with too many orders at the same time," he laughed.

When he was half finished with his pastry, Nikky approached his booth with the coffee pot for a refill.

"Thank you. Say, Nikky, can I buy you a cup of coffee?"

"Oh, you don't have to do that, I get all the coffee I want for free."

"I'm sure you do. It was my way of asking if you'd like to sit with me and visit a few minutes, since you aren't busy today."

She looked at him warily before nodding and sliding in the booth across from him.

"So, how's it going? Looks like you've settled in nicely."

"Thank you. Uh, it's going OK, I guess."

"That doesn't sound too enthusiastic. Care to tell me why?"

"Uh, well, I guess I can. I'd like to make a little more than I do. Joe's great and actually pays me well, but it's hard making ends meet. I wish I could make more in tips like Joanne does on the lunch shift."

"Well, those meals are a bit bigger and so the tips are too, I guess."

"Yeah, but she figured out she averages nearly twenty percent in tips and I'm barely making fifteen, even with your huge tips. Her twenty on those bigger meals goes a lot further than my fifteen on breakfast."

"Hmm. You get to keep it all?"

"Yeah. Joe's great that way."

"Have you any idea why you're making less in tips than, uh, the gal you were talking about?"

"No."

There was a pause in the conversation as Jerry debated with himself whether he should give her any advice.

"Nikky, can I maybe make a suggestion? I mean, I've watched you and..."

"So, you've been staring."

"I hope I've not been staring, it's just, well, I sit here several mornings a week and you're the only one up front and every time I look up, there you are."

"OK, what's your suggestion?"

"Ah, well, waiting tables is more than taking the order and bringing the food efficiently. There's a little bit of, well, actually, there's a lot of interaction with the customer. For those few minutes you interact with them, you need to let them think they are the most important people in the world and that you're their good friend."

"Yech. I hate it when the wait staff are all gushy and bubbly."

"Actually, so do I, but a genuine smile and a casual comment can go a long way to building the rapport with the customer."

"I'm pretty busy at times and I don't have time to chit chat."

"I get that, I do. But a warm smile doesn't take any time at all. And it only takes a second to say something like 'I love your blouse' or 'Hope you had a good weekend'."

"And you think it'll help?"

"Yeah, I do. Here, why don't you try it for a week or two and see if it helps? Get a dozen or so canned statements and sprinkle them around. But make sure you don't repeat them to the same customer day after day."

"Yeah, that'd be bad. I might give it a try."

Once her cup of coffee was empty, she stood up and smiled while saying, "Try to stay warm out there."

"Thanks. Will do."

Two weeks later when she brought him his coffee, Nikky looked him in the eye and said, "Eighteen percent."

"Congrats, that's wonderful."

"Umm-hmm and it's all thanks to you."

As he watched her moving around the diner, he was impressed with how much more she engaged with the customers. He even saw her practically flirt with a table full of business men from the insurance company across the street. When she went to pick up her tip, she beamed over to Jerry and mouthed 'Twenty-two.' She had long before quit giving him a paper bill but before he left, she slipped him a blank one with the message 'Thank you. xoxoxo!'

Over the ensuing weeks, she became far more efficient and cheerier. She developed a nice smile and interacted with the customers warmly. Jerry was pleased to see her whole demeanor and attitude improve. He also noted she had continued to fill out and had developed some attractive curves under her white blouse and black slacks. She was particularly pleasant with him and if she had a few extra seconds, she would chat with him briefly.

Jerry was single due to a divorce from his wife a few years before. He had married her too soon after high school and trying to keep a relationship going while attending college and working parttime to pay for it all proved too much. He and his ex had parted once the flame in their marriage blew out but at least they had parted amicably. With no money to split and no kids to worry about, they simply went their own ways after the judge granted them a no-fault divorce.

One morning in the diner, his eyes lingered over Nikky's ass long enough for him to realize he was becoming attracted to her though he didn't know a thing about her or her background. All he knew was she had arrived in town in desperate straits and seemed to be slowly recovering. And he was impressed with her hard work and shapely curves. He wanted to ask her out but remembered his interaction with her early on when she said she couldn't be bought. And he remembered what Joe had told him as well. He would have to approach her very, very carefully.

His first opportunity arose a few weeks later. He was later than usual and the busy morning rush had tapered off. Nikky was tidying up behind the bar while chatting with the only two remaining customers about the game the night before. She smiled at him when he chose his favorite booth and brought him his coffee and cream.

"Morning, Jerry."

"Morning, Nikky. Kinda slow today?"

"No, was busier earlier and now I'm doing little things until Joanne shows up. Just killing time, really."

"Uh, say, Nikky, care to join me?"

"What? Now?"

"Sure, you know, shoot the shit a little."

"Ah, I don't know, uh..."

"Look, I don't bite and we can talk about the Otters and their chances for the playoffs, or something."

"Jerry, are you asking me for a date?"

Suddenly he knew he might have overstepped things a bit. She had been almost standoffish and even told him she couldn't be 'bought' months before. "Uh, no, no date. Just sharing some coffee...and maybe a sticky bun."

After nodding warily, she went to get the sticky bun and herself a cup of coffee. There was a bit of a nervous smile on her lips when she returned to the table.

"Here's your bun. So, what's on your mind?"

"Nothing, really. Uh, do you keep up with the team?"

"Not really. Baseball is...uh, well, it doesn't bring me any good feelings."

"What? There's nothing like sitting in the bleachers eating a hot dog and knocking back a brew while watching the home team."

"Yeah, well, unfortunately baseball brings back some bad memories so I tend to avoid it. These Otters, are they any good?"

"Oh, they're B+, I guess. Sometimes make the playoffs, most times not."

"Hmm."

"Baseball is such an American tradition. You might want to try seeing a game sometime."

"Uh, nope. Too many bad memories."

He wondered what might have caused them before he went on, "Well, you interested in any other sports?"

"Played soccer in high school."

"How'd you do? Your team?"

"Made it to the playoffs two years, ended up third in the state once and won it all my senior year."

"That's impressive. What position were you?"

"Defense. Always trying to keep the other bitches from scoring," she laughed.

'A truly genuine laugh,' he thought before answering, "Important job."

"Yeah, but not very glamorous. Did score one goal, though."

"Great."

"Yeah, coach gave me the game ball for it."

"Do you ever watch soccer on TV?"

"Ah, no. No TV."

"Oh, I see...."

"Look, Jerry, I might as well be honest with you. I'm broke. I'm barely making ends meet. I live in a converted garage behind an old house over on Centennial Street. I walk here to work to save on gas. I can't afford a TV or computer."

"I see. So what do you do when you're not at work?"

"I read, I read a lot. Hit the library regularly. And I write some, too."

"No computer, so how do you write?"

"It's called pen and paper. Nothing special, I do it for me. I always rip things up."

"Ever tried publishing?"

"Now, Jerry, how can I do it with no computer, no email and no money? If I sent a handwritten manuscript in, it would be rejected immediately."

"If you had the ability to use a computer, would you consider trying to publish?"

"I've never even thought about it. It's not possible, so why even waste my time in dreamland?"

Their conversation drifted off to other topics but Jerry kept thinking about her situation. He had no idea if she was a good writer or simply a hack but surely there had to be a way for her to get some help there. And when she talked about soccer, well, her eyes lit up. He wondered if there might be something in the local soccer world for her to consider.

When noontime rolled around, Nikky got up to help Joanne. Jerry left his customary twenty dollars for the coffee and sticky bun. On the way to work he kept thinking about Nikky and her situation. He was getting to know her bit by bit and so far, he thought she was an interesting person. She however played her cards very close to her chest and it was clear to him there was something bad in her past. If only he could break through her barriers somehow...

Two afternoons later he had to drop off a package at a coworker's house. It was four blocks from the diner and across the street from the local high school. Once he had finished, he glanced over at the school only to see a ragtag group of girls kicking soccer balls at a goal. As they didn't seem to be terribly enthusiastic, he figured they'd never win or make it to their playoffs. Curiosity got the best of him and he wandered over to watch the girls. There, the weary-appearing coach was cajoling them, trying to get them to 'put more oomph' into their practice. Clearly, she had not commanded the respect from the girls.

Soon after Jerry walked up, the coach ended the practice and sent the girls to the showers while she went around picking up equipment and loose balls. He figured she was probably in her forties and he guessed she was coaching to earn a few extra dollars on top of her meager teaching salary. Suddenly, he had a wild idea and decided to approach the coach.

"Excuse me, Ma'am, could I take five minutes of your time?"

"Help me pick this stuff up and you have a deal. I'm beat and can't wait to get home for a soak in my bath and a glass of wine."

"Mmm. Sounds nice. Uh, I was wondering if you coaches ever need or use any volunteers from the community?"

"Sometimes, but quite frankly, I think you wouldn't be welcomed by the girls, you being a man and all."

"No," he chuckled, "Not me. I recently met a nice gal who used to play soccer in high school and her team did well and won the state championship. If she's interested, do you think you could use her to help you out?"

"Hmm. Yeah, we sometimes get volunteers from the community but it's usually for football. Some of those dads try to relive their youth through their kids."

"OK. Look, the next time I see her, I'll let her know about you and maybe if she's interested, she'll drop by."

That'd be great. I'm Julie Asherton but the kids call me Coach Jules. We're here four afternoons a week from two-thirty to four. Not on Friday, though. Have her drop by."

The next day Jerry went to the diner shortly before noon. He greeted Nikky with a big smile and ordered an early lunch. When she brought it to him, he asked her to have a seat for a few minutes.

"Nikky, I met the high school girl's soccer coach yesterday and..."

"How'd you do that?"

"I was dropping something off in the neighborhood and the girls were at practice. I went over and introduced myself and chatted with her for a few minutes."

"And?"

"And it seems she would be willing to have a volunteer from the community help her with her coaching."

"And you're telling me this because...?"

Trionyx
Trionyx
1,168 Followers