Zombies

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Just get me a bottle of water if you can remember, thanks."

Barry liked to eat healthy and he sometimes went over board. He absolutely refused to drink the police department's water.

"Will do." The members passing each other in the cramped staircase, Claire following in back of Chris and Barry behind Wesker. When they made it down stairs a couple of officers came in from outside and the door swung against the outside wall. "Damn! Wind is strong, hope it doesn't get any worse that's for sure." The two S.T.A.R.S. walked outside and felt cold wind slapping against their faces. Claire wrapped her arms over each other and her teeth chattered. "Hurry, open the door Chris." Chris delved his hand into his right-side pants pocket and felt only the lint there. "Hold on… looking." Chris pulled his hand out and felt his other pockets but only felt the wallet in his back pocket. "Shoot! I left my keys in the office!" Claire voiced her frustration. "Chris! Well go get them before I freeze!" As Chris started making his way to the front doors he put his hands into the jacket pockets to warm his hands. His left hand bumped into small metal pieces and he was happy to know they were his keys. "Ha ha ha, here they are, they were in my jacket the whole time. Let me open the door before you get a cold." As Chris opened the passenger side door for Claire his chuckles barely audible went on. Claire got in her seat and Chris closed the door for her and briskly walked to the driver's side that Claire had opened for him and climbed in.

"Man that's cold isn't it? It wasn't that cold this morning, crazy weather."

"Yeah and look, looks like it might even rain. Those clouds are getting pretty dark. Looks like good times ahead huh?

"Oh yea, as usual I guess." With that Chris started the police issued automobile, turned the heater full blast and pulled out from in front of the police station.

15

Chris and Claire had gone to get their lunch and were on their way back when the officer Claire had sent arrived at the scene. He stepped out of the vehicle and took in the awesome sight of the facility. "Good God." He didn't even close the door to his car but walked in front of the hood and took a good look at everything that was standing there. He didn't know any of the S.T.A.R.S. members closely but he recognized the car ten feet ahead of him. The plates confirmed what he knew, the detectives were still in the mansion some place and he would find out just where exactly. As he walked closer to the facility he noticed one of the doors open to the detective's car. Forgetfulness? Suspicions heightened slightly. Seeing the opened door reminded him that he left his own door open. He sat down on the imitation leather and radioed into the S.T.A.R.S. office. "This is unit 0246 do you read me Claire, this is unit 0246 I'm at the facility. After a bit of waiting he reached a man named Wesker who he wasn't familiar with. "Excuse me sir, may I speak with Claire to let her know that I'm at the facility?

"Unit 0246, why are you at the Umbrella facility?"

"Sir, Claire from special forces S.T.A.R.S. instructed me to check on two agents and see if everything was well. That's all she told me."

Wesker wasn't sure what was going on but he figured Claire must have had her reasons. "How are the agents?"

"I haven't seen them because I haven't entered the premises yet. I only radioed to notify Claire that I arrived at the destination."

"I guess you should carry on then officer. Have you heard or seen anything of importance?"

The officer contemplated the importance of the opened door. "I don't know if it's note worthy sir but the agent's car is parked in the front of the facility and the door is opened. I just thought it was strange that they would leave the door open like that."

Wesker didn't respond right away. "Get in touch within five minutes officer. I doubt anything is wrong but let's make sure. Over and out."

The officer walked back to his cruiser and hesitated closing his door; he looked at his shotgun for what was at least five seconds before finally shutting the door. Officer Roberts walked to the front door of the mansion then opened it. There was nobody in the Main room and so he started to call out for Meloy and Richard without success in return. He walked up the stairs to see what he could find.

16

Chris and Claire drove up to the drive-thru intercom of a taco fast-food joint. They had just left a super-market from getting Claire's sushi and Barry's bottled water. Chris would get his tacos and they would get to the office, eat their food with their comrades, and check in with the police officer Claire sent to the Umbrella facility.

"Are you sure you don't want a taco or burrito Claire?"

Claire's stomach slightly turned with the thought of eating anything as greasy as a taco or as filling as a burrito. "I'm sure, thanks."

"Suit yourself, I'm going to get the combo and maybe I'll have the Orchata. Yeah, that sounds good!"

Claire was happy that her brother could enjoy himself after working hard on his statement. She knew it was a serious one, a suspect had been shot and that was big news in Raccoon City. "Sounds yummy but I'll pass. Give me an Orchata though."

"Alright then."

Chris hollered his order into the intercom and the cashier hollered back that he owed seven dollars and twenty-six cents. The food was a little expensive but couldn't be beat. Chris drove over to the window and gave the cashier a ten-dollar bill and waited for his food to be served. While they waited in the idling car Claire raised the level of heat just below maximum.

"Why don't you roll the window up a little bit?"

Chris rolled the window almost all the way up. "Sure is cold and the clouds are getting darker." One small grain of a droplet fell on the front windshield but neither Chris nor Claire noticed. A few more drizzles fell but didn't persist yet the wind was gaining an edge and the S.T.A.R.S. car's antenna was lightly wavering back and forth. "Snow's going to be bad this winter. "It's ok, at least you'll shovel my sidewalk right?" Chris thought this statement was quite hilarious and gave way to laughter. Claire didn't think much of her brother's antic, so she gave Chris a tired look with the roll of eyes look. The cashier decided to show up while Chris while laughing and was flustered because she didn't look amused either. "Oops." Chris lowered his window and reached out to receive his food.

In a robotic manner and tone the cashier said. "Want some hot-sauce with that?"

"Uh, no thank you that's all right." Chris handed the bag to his sister and fully rolled up his window and turned the heater one level down. The car pulled out of the driveway and got onto the main street. The station was about fifteen minutes away but since Chris was hungry they'd make it in ten. Chris' mind was on his combo meal but Claire was thinking about Richard and Meloy again.

"I wonder if they're ok."

"You wonder if who's ok?"

"Richard and Meloy."

"Oh yeah… Call Barry of the radio and see what's up with the unit you sent."

Claire grabbed for the radio microphone and called into the station. Usually Barry handled the S.T.A.R.S. communications but Wesker was the person to answer Claire's call.

"Wesker?"

"What's going on Claire?"

"Nothing, we just picked up the food and we're heading back. Any word from Richard, Meloy or the police unit?"

"Nothing from Richard or Meloy but the unit did call in. He's checking on things right now. He did say that one of their car doors was open but that doesn't really mean anything."

When Claire heard that the police unit was there and checking on things Claire's hopes were raised but after hearing about the door they dropped back down a bit. What could an open door mean? Richard had sounded nervous, maybe he left it open to check on Meloy but he left the door open. He just forgot to close it.

"Don't worry Claire, the unit should be getting in touch in about five minutes. If not we'll call in and see what happened but I'm sure Richard and especially Meloy are just fine.

"We'll be there in about 10 minutes or so. Tell Barry we have his water. Over and out." Claire rested the radio speaker in its cradle and then sat back in her seat.

Chris saw that Claire was scared for Richard and Meloy and started to wonder whether he should also be worried. He enjoyed both of their company, more so towards Meloy but he and Richard were close as well. Sometimes on Friday nights he liked to go to one of the cities' bars and have a few beers and play a few games of pool with Meloy. Richard was also an enjoyable person; he had a good sense of humor and always liked to talk about different and interesting things. He was really laid back and got along with everyone. He even got along with Brian Irons, the chief of police, and no one really liked Irons very much. Except for maybe Wesker, who at least could have a small conversation with the police chief. Richard and Meloy were both men who Chris trusted. Richard had only been working with the S.T.A.R.S. for five months but in that little time they became friends.

Claire didn't feel in the mood for talking. She would wait until they pulled in front of the station, she would quickly get out of the car and head to the S.T.A.R.S. office to see what police unit 0246 had found.

They drove down the mostly car-free streets at a quick rate. It was about 2:30 and people were mostly at work or in their homes away from the harsh wind. In two and a half hours it would be dark. Brother and sister Chris and Claire didn't speak to each other in the car. Chris had turned on the radio and was listening to his favorite station while Claire seemed not to hear or pay attention to the music. Things continued on that way until Chris turned the corner that led the down the street to their station. Chris pulled in front of the station and hadn't even finished parking when Claire opened the car door and jogged in through the front doors of the Raccoon City police department. Chris hurried and parked, got the food, and headed after his sister.

Claire hurried up the narrow wooden steps, forgetting the food she left behind in the car. The sound of the stair-planks thudding against her boots echoed in her mind and she felt a little nauseous and dizzy. Quickly she opened the door to the S.T.A.R.S. department and found Barry and Wesker talking but she didn't know about what.

"Claire…" Wesker was about to go on but Claire interrupted.

"Did the officer radio in?" Claire eyes were wide we expectation.

"No, I was just about to radio in." Wesker realized Claire's sincerity and thought it was unfounded and harbored mistrust of her comrades skills out in the field. "Were you going to eat first or did you want me to contact the officer?"

"That's ok Wesker, I'll radio in."

Barry was the one to ask what was going on. "What did I miss? Why is their a unit checking on Meloy and Richard?"

Wesker joined in the curiosity. "I was just about to ask the same question. So how about it Claire, what's going on?"

Claire had forgotten that her emotions were the biggest reason she sent out the police unit. Other than that all she had as an excuse for sending the officer out was Richard's abrupt disconnection. "I… mostly because…" Claire was foundering for the right words. Finally she blurted out the unconvincing truth. "I was talking to Richard when he mentioned something about Meloy missing. He hung up but he sounded stressed." Claire waited for Wesker's response.

Wesker and Barry waited for Claire to finish her reason when they both suddenly realized that she had finished.

Wesker's unbelieving look subsided a bit and then he asked. "And what? Is that it Claire? Why did you send a unit all the way out there for that?"

Claire's frustration and worry heightened to new levels. "If everything is ok then I'll admit I was wrong. If not… we better get down there." Claire walked to the little adjacent room of communications equipment and weapon storage; she sat down on a stool in front of an old CB radio and turned the knobs and dials accordingly. The little red power light was on and a soft squeak pronounced itself as so. Claire put the over-sized earphones on and then she picked the microphone up and put it to her mouth.

"Officer 0246 come in… This is Claire Renfield speaking, over." She allowed time for the officer to respond. Claire thought he should have had time to assess the situation and then notify her with what he had found. "Officer 0246 come in, this is Claire Renfield, over. The tenseness of her stomach tightened and she no longer was even hungry for the food she had bought.

Everyone was in the other room hearing in on Claire's transmission. Chris was listening more with fear in his belly then the other two S.T.A.R.S. members. Wesker felt almost amused at how Claire's fear was getting the best of her. Barry sat quietly looking from Chris to Wesker and then back and forth again. His interest into the matter was growing but he didn't feel a very high degree of urgency. Mostly, Barry went along with his superior officer's assumption. As far as brains went Barry wasn't stupid but neither was he outstanding, he was more like Meloy, a field man.

Claire's pleads for officer 0246 to respond went on for another ten minutes without letup. When she stopped she didn't come out but only stay seated on the stool, sulking.

Chris had made up his mind to investigate the matter himself. "Wesker? I think something is wrong."

Wesker had been amused since the begging of Claire's plea for officer's 0246 response. He thought the officer would be calling in at any moment like he had told the officer to do but the officer never radioed back. Obviously he's forgotten what I told him! Damn patrol unit probably! Incompetent slime! Wesker shifted in his seat, "Idiot officer". He got up and walked over to the small office and stood in the doorway; Chris and Barry followed. Wesker was disgusted to see Claire on the verge of tears. Women! You can't live with them and you can't live without them.

Wesker had his temper under control and so he said. "Claire…If the officer doesn't call back within twenty minutes then we'll all go in ourselves but I promise you he will!" There, now you can stop that bellyaching.

Claire felt that whatever they did something had happened to her friends. We all are going to find some ugly truth when we go up there. "I don't think there's going to be any call. He was supposed to have notified us on his whereabouts but he didn't. There's something wrong, I can just feel it."

Wesker realized there was no convincing Claire. "If that is the case which it's not! Then we'll all go down there personally in twenty minutes. Wesker walked back to his desk and sat down.

Chris looked at his superior and then entered the small room that Claire was in. Barry stood where he was taking in the soap opera.

Chris said. "Go ahead and start eating your food and I'll continue trying to contact the officer."

"I'm not hungry anymore; we should try to make Wesker let us all go now!"

Chris knew that his sister was right but he likewise knew his commanding officer didn't think a search and rescue was necessary at this point. "Yeah, in fifteen minutes I'll ask him. You're just going to have to wait for fifteen minutes more."

Claire felt that she had waited for long enough. "Maybe…their still ok? If we go now we have the best chance we'll have."

Chris couldn't argue with his sister any longer. He wore a terribly frustrated expression on his face and retreated towards Wesker. "Hey boss, you have to let me and Claire go to this place. If you don't want to leave yet you can meet up with us their but I think it's safer if we all go together. As a matter of fact I think you should call in Vickers."

Vickers was their pilot, driver, and other S.T.A.R.S. member, the last member of their team. He had been given basic training but he wasn't field material and he didn't seem to mind. The other team members hounded him of his lack of a killer instinct but he went along. He would serve as driver if Wesker decided on calling him in. The helicopter was currently being repaired and wasn't fully operational; the stars would be stuck with dark green Dodge Ram van. It served its purpose but the copter was a lot faster.

"Can't your sister wait for twenty more damn minutes more Renfield? I've been on the force longer than the both of you combined I've seen it all. For some stupid reason or another our men are tied up for the moment. What's twenty minutes more going to take?"

Chris was settled in his opinion; he felt that Claire's worries were warranted. "Sir, I think something is wrong. First, Richard says Meloy is missing then he doesn't answer his phone. Now the officer isn't responding. What more do you need?"

Wesker contemplated what had been thrown to him and felt the shame blanket him. "You're right, I'll call Vickers and tell him to get over here." In a loud shout Wesker said. "Everybody suit up and get ready to roll, 15 min!"

Wesker got on the phone while Chris, Barry, and Claire walked quickly out the door and to the subbasement where the bulletproof vests and automatic rifles were. Wesker knew the phone numbers to all his comrades and so he dialed Vickers' phone number without thinking. The phone rang 3 times before Vickers picked it up.

"Wesker?"

"How did you know it was me?"

"It was either you or my mother."

Vickers laughed but Wesker didn't.

"Get down here in ten. We have an operation. Meloy and Richard might be in trouble."

"Really? What's going on?"

"Just get down here; I'll tell you in the van."

Wesker laid the phone-handle on its cradle and headed towards the subbasement. When he got there everyone had their vests on and they were all checking or loading their weapons. All the S.T.A.R.S. members had hand-held guns. Chris and Claire had automatic 9mm guns while Barry carried his precious Colt Python. Wesker had the same issue as Chris and Claire except his gun was painted black while their guns were chrome. While on serious operations each member carried an M-16; there were eight clips, forty bullets a clip, all the clips were in various places in their fatigue pockets. None of the Stars were talking; all their attention was focused on their preparation. Chris was adding a mechanical contraption to his 9mm that allowed his gun a rapid-fire option. It changed the look of his gun immensely by elongating it. Most of the contraption was a handle, like a shotgun handle. It could be strapped to his arm, which he preferred. Claire reached into the upper chamber of her locker and pulled out a purple velvet pouch, her lock pit set. She placed it into a hip pouch that she had also gotten from her locker. Barry was wiping at his very clean very shiny Chrome Python. He was wearing a belt that held about 50 bullets and there was a large hunting knife strapped to it. Wesker was the only one to lock his locker. He spun the knob in the direction it needed to go; he heard the lock release. Wesker's locker was somewhat messy; there were grenades (some of them were gas and the others were explosive), a vest (with a couple of bullet marks on the chest), and some papers scattered here and there that he never bothered to file correctly. He slipped quickly into the vest and loaded his M-16 with a full clip. He put the extra clips into his pockets and fastened the grenades onto his legs at the appropriate places. Legs were the least possible area to be shot. When a person gets shot it's mostly in the torso. He never gave much consideration to the possibility of his grenades being shot at. He never wanted an opportunity to present itself where he was in view of the enemy.

1...345678