Aldebra

I'm a writer; not a technical writer (and from the bad grammar of the technical writing I've seen lately, you may not want one editing your stories), but a writer and editor of the English language who learned grammar back when grammar was taught in the public schools and elementary school was called "grammar school." Using precise and correct English is what I do for a living. The reason I'm volunteering is that I enjoy the stories here but practically every one of them has grammatical, spelling, and punctuation errors that interfere with my reading enjoyment. Practically all the writers here are hopeless when it comes to the difference between (and conjugation of) "to lie" and "to lay," and at least half the rest leave misplaced modifiers and are lousy at spelling and punctuation! I'm not perfect myself, but I rarely miss catching a grammatical error. I edit heterosexual relationship stories only.

However, while I may sometimes make suggestions I will not attempt to correct your writing style, only your mistakes, so it will still be your story. The only thing I ask in return is that you include, at the end of your preface (an initial paragraph placed before the actual story), "Proofread and edited by Aldebra."

It would be helpful if you would choose what level of grammatical correctness you would like me to use. You could use a different level for each of the characters if you like, for instance if you want one of the characters to sound common and not very well educated, you might choose the "Common" level. The following are just examples, and I would change only the grammar, not the style, even though the below examples may also contain different styles.

1. "Classical": Completely and pedantically grammatically correct (good for historical romance, or to simulate a highly-educated narrator or character who is a modern grammatical purist):

"I shall be 18 tomorrow, and were you to ask me to give my body to you at midnight tonight I should do so, and I would that you and I make love till dawn! I hope you'll enjoy that as much as I. Had I not wanted to give my body to you I'd not have come. My being here is purposeful; I'm not here by accident."

2. "Modern": Grammatically correct modern English, but not pedantically so or old-fashioned:

"I'll be 18 tomorrow, and if you ask me to give you my body tonight at midnight I will, and I hope we make love until dawn! I hope you want that as much as I do. If I didn't want that I wouldn't have come. I came here purposely, not accidentally."

3. Common; ungrammatical but not entirely illiterate:

"I'm gonna be 18 tomorrow, and after midnight I'll give you my body if you want. Me and you can be together all night. I hope you want that as much as me. If I didn't want that I wouldn't be here. I came on purpose, not on accident."

Other: If there's a character whose grammar you don't want me to correct, let me know.

— It would be best if you could send me your submissions in MS Word format. My finished product will be sent to you as a text file.

Location

USA

Member Stats

2 Years AgoMember Since
Last YearUpdated
2Followers
4Following
11My Favorites
29My Comments

Contact Member

Contact Aldebra by clicking here.