All Comments on 'What Now, Dad?'

by Thucydides

Sort by:
  • 54 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousalmost 9 years ago
Chris and Anne?!

I want a story about Chris and Anne! :D

markellymarkellyalmost 9 years ago
Good Read.

A well put together piece and all done at just the right pace. Loved it.

jackh1962jackh1962almost 9 years ago

You have it dead on about those nights being so hard after the death of a spouse. I've been on 6 years of short sleep for that very reason,the days do get better after some time ,which is different for for different people.That empty side of the bed is very hard to get used to when is not supposed to be empty.And I'm not talking about just sex either,it's all the other things that go along with having someone you love there with you too.You were also right about how someone new is not and can not be a replacement fer that person, but is,or will be a new,different love that in no way changes how you feel about the previous one.

dinkymacdinkymacalmost 9 years ago
Nice!

Thanks for sharing.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 9 years ago
Excellent & realistic story line with great twists.

Now continue to write this another chapter or so with a spin off to Chris & the little brother with how they go forward after Kate comes into their lives.

BRAVO!!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 9 years ago
Very good

I think it was a very good story. I loved your Oregon Coast series.

Would love to hear more from both. What will happen to the other brother and what happened to the other Vet's in Oregon Coast.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 9 years ago

I loved this story, and bookmarked it. Now I must read your other stories

Many_MemoriesMany_Memoriesalmost 9 years ago
a beautiful - but hard read ---

It covers a WHOLE LOT of ground in a very good way! Great Read!

photolvrphotolvralmost 9 years ago
Thank you!

You are a very favorite author of mine. Thank you so much for this latest story. I can't wait for the next one. Thanks again!

fixer43fixer43almost 9 years ago
Wait.. no sex???

No paragraphs of hot, sweaty sex? No descriptions of what he did to her, or what she did to him? Yet somehow, I made it all the way to the end of story and never missed it. Compelling proof that there is more to romance, and to a good Romance story.

Excellent story about finding happiness a second time.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 9 years ago
Thank You

A beautiful story

tabbymidnitetabbymidnitealmost 9 years ago
thank you

Outstanding story. An instant favorite. Going to go back and read more of your works.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 9 years ago

Good read, and I didn't miss the lack of erotica. Glad to see that you're back in your groove

ambush184ambush184almost 9 years ago
Good read

I've always liked your style and you didn't disappoint this time. Only complaint is I would have liked it longer. No sex makes a refreshing read. Thanks!

oldwayneoldwaynealmost 9 years ago
Great Pen Name...liked the story too!

Five Stars!

Chief3BlanketChief3Blanketalmost 9 years ago
Ah most enjoyable

a very nice well constructed story with believable characters and story line.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 9 years ago
Excellent

Very well crafted story with interesting characters and storyline. Would have liked it longer but you covered all the essentials. Look forward to reading more of your work. 5*

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 9 years ago
great

excellent.

Sad at first but had me emotional at the end.

Loved, as have all your stories.

Glad to see you publishing stories its been awhile.

crazycujocrazycujoover 8 years ago
life goes on

Glad to see you back, and continuing to write great stories. Thanks......

rightbankrightbankover 8 years ago
dear fixer43

the story didn't need it

ThucydidesThucydidesover 8 years agoAuthor

I wrote this in an effort to sort out stuff that was going on in my own life. Glad people enjoyed it.

openeyes2openeyes2over 8 years ago
You are back!

I read all of your stories again. I am glad to read more of your work on this site. You have a gift. Thank you for sharing that gift.

Daddddy52Daddddy52over 8 years ago
Great story!

Not the story I was looking for, but once I started, I couldn't stop reading it! Plus being from the PNW it hit closer to home. :-) Thanks for sharing a wonderful story!

Russ

rightbankrightbankover 8 years ago
I really appreciate the care you take with your stories

and, having lived in central OR, walked the beaches, hiked the trails, and enjoyed the local wines, I especially like the attention to detail you bring to the people and their lives.

thank you

Chief3BlanketChief3Blanketover 8 years ago
A simple comment

An enjoyable entertaining story.

rightbankrightbankabout 8 years ago
just the romance

this story is just as good the second time around

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 8 years ago

That was really enjoyable! Loved the 'did they makeout' test, hehehe!

HansTrimbleHansTrimblealmost 8 years ago
Please . . .

. . . write some more stories. I've read them all at least twice, and this one four times. I turn to your stories when I need to enjoy real quality writing. I realize that this website caters to amateurs, and I enjoy their honest efforts. But sometimes I need a story that's just right, and you fill the bill. Could you please make this the year when you'll pump out several more real winners?

RemmyqqriRemmyqqriover 7 years ago
not enough stars!

I think I should be able to vote each time I read it!

Your tales are always enjoyable, keep writing for us! (Yeah, I'm selfish)

TheOldRomanticTheOldRomanticover 7 years ago

It seems incredible that such a short history can tell so much.

I loved it.

This story has been sweet and pleasant.

And as added incentive, has not had explicit sex, this story only had romance.

5* for you.

I apologize for my English, is not my native language.

drachir53drachir53over 6 years ago
Sad then Happy Story

I really liked the ending of this story but would have liked to see Chris and Ann’s romance develop some more! Great Love Story, definitely 5 stars!

KRD19254KRD19254about 6 years ago

Nice story but for the BIG MISS.... There are two sons, what happen to the other son? Chris got all the attention and the other son disappeared from the story.

T it looks like you rushed to finished and left lots of dangling story pieces. 4.3*

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago

He was disposing his wife? not scattering her ashes, but disposing of her like she was nothing, not wearing his ring less than 6 months after she died, fuck, my friend died and her husband still wore his ring 3 years later. What happened to the other son? did he dispose of him too? 1*

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago
She got snipped?

She said she got snipped after the 2nd, yet she was ditched by her husband because she couldn't have any children being barren...

abboncabboncover 5 years ago
You idiot!

HE says that HE got snipped after the second child. Read it properly, and get it right before making stupid comments.

Privates1stClassPrivates1stClassover 5 years ago
Superb story

Life is always tough after the loss of a spouse. Your story is written in a loving and respectful way. If you've suffered such a loss, you have my sympathy.

flarebel2327flarebel2327over 5 years ago
snipped

the way I read it the man got sniped , not the lady . went back & read that part.

flarebel2327flarebel2327almost 5 years ago
loved ones

the lady couldn't have children . he was fixed big deal . my late wife & I between us lost 5 . her with her first husband me with & ex wife & 1 with us. have a son from a previous marriage never a problem with him.

GoesGruntGoesGruntover 3 years ago

Didn't much like how the younger son went from "get a girlfriend" to "we don't need her" and how the dad handled it. It felt disconnected, almost like two different families.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
granddaughters name

I understand the son naming the kid after his deceased mother but if the situation were reversed where I was the (husband) one married to the widow it would bug me a bit if they named their son after my new wife deceased spouse.

Just a constant reminder that I am the new kid and she would have more than just fond memories.

Also, after spreading her ashes how could he emotionally even fix a stove and have wine with women? He should be emotionally spent.

Rancher46Rancher46over 2 years ago

A real sweet tale of love after the loss of a spouse. Well done 5 stars

No1_OfConsequenceNo1_OfConsequenceabout 2 years ago

Great story.

I'd like to address one Anon's comment.

Chris, the child in question never fully accepted Kate. He spent little time with her, and was already through his formative years when she came along. Thus naming his first daughter after his deceased mother makes perfect sense. It is not a personal slight to his stepmother in any way. As a step-parent myself, I understand that my role is primarily as a spouse and being more of a positive influence and role model rather than a parent figure.

As far as fixing the stove and having wine, he was able to do that BECAUSE he was emotionally spent. Men compartmentalize. It's what we do and how we're built. The "helping a lady in distress" box is not in any way connected to the "missing dead wife" box. And he was subconsciously looking for any distraction there was to get away from the pain locked into the "missing dead wife" box in the first place. The character did not immediately pursue a relationship with the new woman, because he knew he needed to process the grief first. Good on him, as most people just want the pain to end and will do very questionable things to do that.

LudvigBlomSELudvigBlomSEalmost 2 years ago

Lovely story! One thing that got me thinking was that suddenly there was only one son. Did the other son evaporate?? One is married and the other one wanished. Or is it me missing something??

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

What happened to Steve at the wedding???

What happened to Steve at the end, at the campsite???

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Both sons pestered him to go out then had issues with Kate!! Why did the sons have to call her Prof?? in their home??

And one son disappeared after getting an A in his English paper

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Effen' onions

OU8ME2ICOU8ME2ICover 1 year ago

I loved this story. Thanks for writing it.

Gym52Gym52over 1 year ago

Interesting, what happened with the younger son and his relationship with his father and stepmother.

Gym52Gym52over 1 year ago

Interesting, what happened with the younger son and his relationship with his father and stepmother.

Tundah50Tundah50about 1 year ago

Good story but ending seemed rushed and incomplete

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Short and sweet, the premise deserves a fuller exploration

ca_daveca_daveabout 1 year ago

Good story , bad (rushed) ending. Thank for sharing with us.

oldpantythiefoldpantythiefabout 1 year ago

I liked the story, it brought back a lot of memories. After reading some of the comments I thought I'd share my story, for what it's worth. My wife of 52 years beat breast cancer but died from other issues years later. I wore my wedding ring for a while but then decided I wasn't married anymore because of the "death do us part" bit, not because I didn't love her anymore, instead I wear it on a chain so it hangs near my heart. I'm not looking for her replacement, my kids are grown and I have a great grandchild, but if someone came along that was interested in an oldpantythief, I wouldn't kick her to the curb :)

I don't disagree with anything in this story about how Eric handled his grief or his kids. Everyone deals with that kind of loss differently.

Personally, I don't think this is one of the authors best stories and didn't give it a five like I have his others.

sg1010sg101012 months ago

Well, I have now read all of your stories. According to the list, it seems that you haven't added any stories in a while, at least here. Hopefully you are still writing and posting or publishing somewhere because You Are Very Good at it !

Thank You !

&

BEST WISHES !

Scott

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous