All Comments on 'A House Where Nobody Lives'

by Mainefiddleheads

Sort by:
  • 157 Comments
rockthedogrockthedogalmost 7 years ago
Another great story

Always good to see a post by you. Thanks!

LordSlamdawggLordSlamdawggalmost 7 years ago
Fantastic setting marred by irrationally feckless, dicey bad guy )

A red haired man , who runs rampant with farm wives as the bulls whose stud services he markets , must have an ill concealed death wish. I grew up on a 10 acre farm with pure bred Angus cows and Duroc pigs. Farmers aren't blasé or complacent in the slightest about animal or human offspring and not hindered by traditional sentiment or morality when it comes to exterminating vermin that threaten the farm's integrity.

My dad went terminator on German Shephard who crashed thru barn door window to get at family Great Dane bitch who was in season with first with pitchfork , then ax. The luckless beast damaged " the farm " and all compunction went by wayside.

Apart from that Mainefiddleheads did a fantastic job with showcasing rural setting8 and the men who labor with purpose and efficiency to literally wrest a living from that earth. If I had had the talent and work ethic of this author I would have scotched the inflammatory date rape angle and giveaway red hair and made Wendell as a smooth talking lothario, with sociopath tendencies ,who would inevitably get caught given his penchant for serial extramarital seductions.

Wendell earned his icy dunking plus summary exile (and more). Mainefiddleheads description of that scene excelled . Literotica guidelines might well have hindered full justice being meted out. To top it all off I'm a HUGE Tom Waits fan. For the most part I loved how MFH ran with the song's concept.

I'm awarding five stars, despite aforementioned qualms, based on overall merits and faint chance this author's muse just might get kickstarted by listening to T.W.'s ' Gunstreet Girl'.

Full marks *****

266xxyz266xxyzalmost 7 years ago
5*s

Great story! Thank you! A wonderful effort.

thefranzthefranzalmost 7 years ago
@ximand

You are wrong about the drug being introduced late in the story:

"It always worked this way. With alcohol the trick was to add just the tiniest drop to the drink; not enough to knock her out but enough to take any real struggle out of her until her body betrayed her objections and she became his property until he was sated."

and

"The liquor and the sedative had played their concerto to the desired effect and as Wendell removed his shorts his erect prick bobbed before him in victory."

are on page 1.

You might miss it and maybe it serves the authors intent to only emphasize this apect later on, but the references to Sylvia being drugged are definitely there from the beginning.

For me it is a great story bringingin alive a time and place I knew next to nothing about. 5*

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 7 years ago
Wrong place to be

I call your BS Ximand because 9/10 of stories here the evil prevails and are all cucks as you call it, although the meaning doesn't apply here since he DIDN'T know he was cheated on. I don't have an account here because I don't write stories. I like to read well written stories, whether I agree or disagree with the ending. You need to look at your first 2 posts if you want to look at a rant since you obviously had to attack the author personally.

By the way, if I start reading about bs open relationships or true cuckold stories, I stop and and move on to the next story, which is why I haven't been reading much since most of the good writers haven't posted anything new. Of course there are twists to the stories, but just because the other women may have done it on their own accord doesn't mean the rape happening was a cop out. I'm sure you've seen similar stories in the past.

Lastly, I hope you never have to go through what I'm going through. It's the only reason I had to respond to your dumbass comments.

johntcookseyjohntcookseyalmost 7 years ago
Touching

I'm rereading "The Shipping News" and just finished another of Russo's works from Mohawk New York. Such a sense of place. Flawed characters persevering through pain and adversity in search of redemption and contentment. That's what your work means to me - perhaps this one more than any other. And, being primarily a Coloradan and westerner, I love my flights to Maine whenever I'm gifted one of your stories. Thank you.

ju8streadingju8streadingalmost 7 years ago

thank you

another good story.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 7 years ago
Beautifully written.

Thank you

Huedogg2Huedogg2almost 7 years ago
well written story, and alot of anger comments

I agree with ximand and thefranz. Their both right, but alcohol was legal and to be honest, in that time frame, she would be considered a cheat because she drank with someone other than her husband. Think back to your parents time frame, trust was good, but there was not way in hell my father wouldn't kick the shit out of any man that was in his house when he wasn't home. And the breeder would have died alone in that watery grave. 3.5

Impo_64Impo_64almost 7 years ago
I agree with @Huedogg2...

I agree with @Huedogg2...This is a good story but it has some issues that weakens it...For instance: was she the only wife to be drugged? About another wife the story stated: "Oh, it wasn't a rape by any means. It was carelessness that led another man besides her husband to impregnate her young firm body"! I also don't understand why people get angry because some comments pointed this weak points in it. For me, as @Huedogg2 says, the weakest is: "the breeder would have died alone in that watery grave" or any other grave. However this is a good read, well written, so 4*

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 7 years ago
read and enjoyed...HOWEVER

The first kid is born with red hair, people would get to thinking. Most men would caution wife, go to great lengths to not leave predator alone with wife, and make him, and search out another breeder. Petition the Grange to purchase its own bulls.

After the second kid was born...action would have been taken.

Instead you have these stalwart and determined men let guy populate the county, breeding as many wives as his bulls did milk cows.

I admire, respect, and enjoy your writing. I liked this story but given the character you attributed to the husbands, the number of wives he was allowed to breed seems plausible only as not fiction but fantasy.

Your hero was certainly not the type of man to allow three more ''breeding seasons'' to pass before tending to business.

His wife's depression the difficulty in keeping the peace would cmpel him to take some action prior to the breeder's return ollowing child's birth.

Besides the extreme difficulty in those years of a divorce other laws were also in play. The one husband having had his wife succumb, would never let the guy near his daughter. Before she became of age, he would have set a trap, caught wife and breeder in the act and killed her seducer. That action would have been seen and held in the eyes of the law and community to have been justified

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 7 years ago
also

The red hair giving him away, the husbands would certainly not joked about breeder's ''efiminate' dress. They would not have viewed him with amusement and derision but would have feared his arrival and hated him as someone who by actions belittled them

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 7 years ago
lordslamm....

Scotch the red hair and the guy would have a thousand bastards before he was caught.

Strange not one wife told husband about her seductions and seemed all of them welcomed breeding season even hero's wife. Exceptin the time he brought friends.

After first time, if she wasn't willing she would not have let

the guy near her.

Part of their reconcilliation was spicing it up in marital bed. Truth be told, no matter how much I detest the guy, all the dozen of wives on his route greatly enjoyed the sex compared to the staid sex from husbands and given the female nature talked am0ngst themselves and spread word to the as yet uninitiated about his prowess. Much the same as husband's glowingly talked about the bulls

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 7 years ago
as if a cuckdogg or any witless wbc's

could say shit about this writing, total effing morons - this is superb writing far above the infantile and incomprehensible jibberish they usuaaly read or, god forbid, write

boatbummboatbummalmost 7 years ago
Nice Flavor Of Time And Place

I really enjoyed the immersion in rural Maine life during the depression, but like some others, I had a little difficulty understanding Sylvia's character and John's apparent complacency about the situation.

I get the 'she was drugged' business the first time, but after the child was born the following summer, WTF is going on with: 1) allowing scumbag anywhere near the farm for 3 years afterward before taking action; 2) John conveniently being away each time scumbag shows up so he could keep on fucking her; and 3) Sylvia allowing scumbag anywhere near her after her pregnancy the first time? It was only after the gang rape that she woke up? C'mon....

Still a fine, well written story with only a few oopsies, and like others, I'm glad to read something new from you. I'm still working my way through your older stuff, as you can tell from my comments here and there.

Thanks!

WhackdoodleWhackdoodlealmost 7 years ago
Holy handgreandes, this was your best story!

I loved it. 5 stars isn't enough.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 7 years ago
within a couple hours of posting

You already have 26 comments. Most are justified praise.

Some are sniping at each other.

For my part the number indicates you have a substantial, loyal following who respect and admire your ability and look forward to numerous additional stories.

A puzzled frown arched my eyebrows a time or two while reading this exemplary work, but nothing detracted from the enjoyment derived your work.

After reading stories, I work myself through comments, and in some cases such as this one I re-read story...shorter once such as this one I then read again before posting comment.

Now that this4 comment is rivaling length of story I will close with an ardent

THANK YOU!!!

HOPING FOR MORE!!!

oshawoshawalmost 7 years ago

Another great story from you. When you write, it isn't so much that I read the story as I become invested in the story. Your attention to detail is amazing and I appreciate that you continue to entertain us with your stories.

CrkcpprCrkcppralmost 7 years ago
Mainefiddleheads is the man !

This was totally different from just about anything that I've read here on Lit . It's between a wonderful LW story and one of the western non-ero tales of a SwMoHermit or Jake Rivers .

But it still has the wonderful mind portrait that MFH does better than anyone who has ever posted in LW before. ( at least that I've read )

I was raised by my Grandparents since the age of 7 , and my Granddad used to tell me stories that are not all that far from this premise.

He was born in 1911 , and times were totally different. First every man carried a pistol ,( I still have his old Iver Johnson owls head .32 and his S&W .38 ) and if he thought that his wife , daughter, mother or any other female relative had been " done wrong " , we'll there were plenty of old tree laps in the Forrest that no one would ever suspect held a grave underneath .

Was there infidelity , yes , according to his stories when it was just the two of us , it was pretty rife at the time . But every Casanova also knew what to expect if discovered . That old .32 wasn't very powerful compared to today's carry rounds , but sepsis is a awful way to go . That's usually what became of a shooting victim in those times .

But I've digress ! This was a wonderful story , and I thank you so much for sharing it with us .

5 *'s .

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 7 years ago
Another Winner

Mainefiddleheads is one of the best writers left on this site. Others have migrated to Amazon and others have dropped out probably due to the asinine comments left by the losers who are still living in their mommies basement. I have no doubt the BTB crowd have never had any heterosexual relations (no, your hand doesn't count).

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 7 years ago
read carefully

The first time Sylvia and Wendell had sex.

You will note that the author indicates she gave off ''I'm interested'' signals.

She was in habit of adding alcohol to drink every evening to relax. Her panties were not her everyday ones. She did say ''No'' but was more of murmur and though yes she was intoxicated she did not really physically resist. She was frustrated sexually and had to masturbate herself to orgasm, while next to sleeping husband.

Sober in the morning her guilt disappeared quickly and willingly and eagerly participated.

I make those comments not in judgement of her, NOR IN APPROVAL OF PREDATOR'S ACTIONS.

A number of commenters seem to have skimmed over what was written by author.

Guess the author could lend us his insight and intent and I would rapidly apologize if I misconstrued what was written!

Ricco52Ricco52almost 7 years ago
wow

I grew up in a house built in 1784 in NH, and heard all kinds of stories of what happened in it through the years. In the 90's, fresh out of college and just married, I drove for UPS. The back roads of NH are filled with similar houses, but you only get to see the remnants of earlier times, the pickup from the 50's with a tree growing through it, the slowly collapsing barn, the steel child's swing set slowly rusting away, tree covered stone walls hinting of once cleared pasture, and the house standing mute and melancholy. Thanks for the story of one of those houses.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 7 years ago
Good Yarn

Simple story about not so simple lives. Like adding color to old black and white photos from the bottom of the chest.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 7 years ago
Also Confused About Consent

Otherwise great story, but self contradictory on whether women consented or not. If they did, it seems like a lot of willing women there...

gatorhermitgatorhermitalmost 7 years ago
Very good albeit maudlin story

I grew up on a farm in upstate NY and all my ancestors fit the life described here. The only caveat I would note is that most of the farmers would raise their own bull and then eat him before he got too old and difficult to handle and then would raise another. Picky point - the silage goes in the silo and hay goes into the barn. Sorry guess I am anal this morning. The basic plot and tone matched the time frame of the story really well. People talk about the one percent today - the depression was the largest transference of wealth from the middle class to the wealthy in history. AI DuPont ended up with much of the land in FL - he would buy a struggling bank and then foreclose every mortgage and take the land. Then repeat the process. Too bad for the people the gov-mint didn't realize they could just print dollars like is being done today.

sbrooks103xsbrooks103xalmost 7 years ago
Thoughts

As usual, I'm writing as I go, so some comments may be over-taken by later events.

Before i begin, welcome back! You have been missed!

Just beautiful! It was so sad when Sylvia died, but it was comforting that the parted with a hug and a kiss.

I was surprised that we were reading through John's son's eyes. I thought it was John, that his proclivity for solitude came from the dual tragedies with Sylvia.

sbrooks103xsbrooks103xalmost 7 years ago
@Anonymous Re: HOWEVER and @boatbumm

I think you mad the same mistake that I made at first, that Cecil was born from the first time, and John allowed three more sessions. Cecil was born from the THIRD time, and the scumbag was then run off the farm by Sylvia and her mom. I DO question why John allowed him back that fourth year, though!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 7 years ago
4*s

Atmosphere, farmers's life, austere solitude all that and a roving seducer. Cheating wives....Bullbreeding, ice fishing, logging, and maple syrup. 🇼🇴🇼🎭

Overall an amazing story❗ Really liked it alot.

Only question was the timeline of the narrator. The mother died in 1940 or so. Then he states that the youngest brother died in 1957. ...... A minor detail that doesn't affect the overall quality of your work Mainefiddleheads.

Gave you 4*s.

Thank you for the story.

AMerryman

sbrooks103xsbrooks103xalmost 7 years ago
@Anonymous Re: read carefully

"In a single moment he had begun his invasion holding her arms above her head." - Now maybe she didn't fight as hard as she could have, and she was wet, but that doesn't sound like "eagerly participated" to me!

Sidney43Sidney43almost 7 years ago

Won't try to add to what others have said here. Glad to see you back, always look forward to your stories.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 7 years ago
Good story

Thank you.... it was a good story. Some will cast recriminations without realizing people are prone to error.... in this case she was drugged, but weakened by temptation by a seasoned seducer. Thank you again.

KenfromIndyKenfromIndyalmost 7 years ago
Good read

Worth the time to read! Solid characters and story. Interesting time compares to what my Grandfather told me of times in the depression era and after! My grandfather was on farm and was deemed too important to be drafted!

Please keep writing and I will keep reading!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 7 years ago
Just depressing

This should have been in non-erotic!

RhomanovRhomanovalmost 7 years ago
*****

Americana it is. The scenes have changed however scenes like this still exist.

Well done. Very well done.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 7 years ago
Well written as Always

Depressing though.

4

JimC

kimi1990kimi1990almost 7 years ago
Very nice

Once again we are transported through space, and in this case, time, by the word wizardry of MFH. I felt that time and place very strongly. Nice piece of writing. A five from me.

patilliepatilliealmost 7 years ago
Tremendous

offering you have posted. The detail, the flow, the story is as old as time but the characters spring to life off the page. Good job Fiddle!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 7 years ago
We finally know how doggydoo got his name

You banged that Great Dane, right?

Rhsc1Rhsc1almost 7 years ago
Captivating

Enough said...thanks...

sbrooks103xsbrooks103xalmost 7 years ago
@Anonymous Re: "Just depressing"

Category comments are useless. Authors aren't going to change just because some readers don't agree with the category.

The mods have said there will be no changes.

If you MUST complain, complain to the mods.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 7 years ago
4stars

how strong was that drop of alcohol to allow the wife to go full slut mode not only once but twice, and was she still drugged during the morning session romp as well?

Why did she not run, after seeing him come over with his two stooges? was she anticipating round two?

Im just glad he found a wife after sylvia died and had kids. Not sad that sylvia died. Pissed that the asshole wendel got off lightly.

The son at the end? someone was saying john raised wendels bastard. Im pretty sure that was sarahs and johns, and he had no children with sylvia.

Writing and story telling as good as usual.

bruce22bruce22almost 7 years ago
Enthralling descriptions of people and things.

Extremely well written and realistic tale. Not everyone is ready to kill someone even if they deserve it.

amischiefmakeramischiefmakeralmost 7 years ago
original and entertaining!

Well done!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 7 years ago
4 stars.

No children that lived. but cucked for maybe three years, first time 1934- no pregnancy, second time with gang rape 1935, no pregnancy, 1936. baby cecil.

tazz317tazz317almost 7 years ago
THE LAST SOLIQUAY SAYS IT ALL

the new generation fails to uphold those traditions, TK U MLJ LV NV

FD45FD45almost 7 years ago
The width of a nail paring

As I was reading this, I occasionally dipped outside the prose, wondering "Why the fuck am I so engaged in reading about sugar sap?" and 'how many flashbacks is it going to take before I start screaming at the author"?

I read a recent story the yesterday that I had to skim through a LOT because it was tedious.

This COULD have been tedious...but it wasn't. And I cannot elucidate WHY this kept my interest and that other story totally lacked that ability.

Which is maddening to me.

It was well written and it held my interest. Got a bit stupid when she KEPT DRINKING DRUGS. I mean 'Oh my God! The man who raped me for the last three years is giving me an unsolicited beverage AGAIN! Hang on a moment while I loosen my corset stays properly because you always mess them up otherwise. I hope you bought the high quality morphine this time. Let's get this sheet laid over the bed so I don't need to change the sheets. Okay, I'm ready. Cheers!" Glug glug glug.

Milady doth protest too much.

lance_spearmanlance_spearmanalmost 7 years ago
Nice story

And while it technically meets the criteria, I'm not sure LW is really the right place for it. I enjoyed it, but it is not what I was expecting.

ken philipsken philipsalmost 7 years ago
Absolutely Superb - Your Best Yet.

MFH - My congratulations on your best story yet. Heartwarming, real, deep, I am at a loss. Every LW fan no matter what sub-genre they prefer should read and ponder on this truly beautiful little country tale. I definitely want to make the trek from Australia to Maine/Vermont one day. MFH's wonderfully descriptive, precise prose drags me there. Ken

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 7 years ago
Wow. Just Wow.

As Ken sez, might be your best yet and that's sayin' a lot. Great everything: pacing, plot, character development, etc. I woulda given 6 stars if that was an option.

Please keep 'em comin'...

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 7 years ago
A real gem!

I was particularly impressed with the mention of the .38-40 Winchester. You would have gotten bonus points if you named it a model 92!

There was a feller who was much like old Wendell back in the 60s in SW Oregon. Except this guy was a policeman and known for the same offenses. Word has it, he was never seen again, there was a pair of balls soaking in formaldehyde at an aggrieved party's house. It's funny, my dad was friends with many of those men and he was the guy who was called when a pig, cow, horse or anything else needed castrated.

Just sayin'...

BigGuy33BigGuy33almost 7 years ago
Just another example...

... of why I get excited everytime I see a new story come from this author. Five stars. Great!

sbrooks103xsbrooks103xalmost 7 years ago
@Anonymous Re: 4stars

It wasn't one drop of liquor, it was one drop of a drug into the spiked drink.

Huedogg2Huedogg2almost 7 years ago
for all you anon that are addressing me

go to the fetish section and find your mothers. Look your mother's in their eyes and ask them who your daddy is? Then come back and show some respect.

sbrooks103xsbrooks103xalmost 7 years ago
@Anonymous Re 4 stars

WRONG! Wendell 1st and 2nd times, no baby. Her mother said the LAST time he showed up with two others, that time, baby Cecil.

For the prior 4star, the other two guys were supposedly to help with the animals.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 7 years ago
.......Downer

your one of my favorite authors and I don't miss one of your tales, but this one after finishing the 3rd chapter I just couldn't go on, This is about as depressing a story as I've read here in LW and of course it's made even worse because your such a good writer. It's a good story but a lousy read.

Rm (a ct. Yankee)

MattblackUKMattblackUKalmost 7 years ago
Another great story from one of our best storytellers

Thank you for sharing it.

You descriptive abilities brought it all to life.

LickideesplitLickideesplitalmost 7 years ago
Sad but Wonderful Tale ... but ...

It is clear to me that this wonderfully depressing tale belongs in Reluct & NonConsent. Only one wife was clearly adventurous, and she was not the central female! Yeah, Sweetie had orgasms while being raped, but bodies, especially drugged bodies, do that. It does NOT negate the deceit nor the force (albeit chemical) ... and it certainly does not make Sweetie adventurous!

Five IF it were in the correct category.

Drbeamer3333Drbeamer3333almost 7 years ago
Enjoyed it

Thanks for the offering.

Boyd PercyBoyd Percyalmost 7 years ago
What a fine story!

One of your best efforts to date. I enjoyed the mention of canned brown bread. I haven't seen any of that in years. Living in the southland accounts for that.

I wish they had cut off the balls and maybe the dick of the breeder man.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 7 years ago
fine

captured the simplicity of a bygone era. A lost time that we sure could use now.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 7 years ago
Really liked it.

It seemed to capture the era and the location. I don't quite understand wife #1. She was raped the first time but apparently continued for at least three years to have sex with the redhead breeding machine. Then wife's mother claims she was drugged each time. doesn't make sense. If she didn't want the sex she could have left when he came around. More than likely she would have continued if Redhead didn't share her the last time. Nevertheless, this inconsistency did not detract from my enjoyment of the story.

P. s. I think it was the right category. The story focused on marital relations of more than one couple some of which there was no doubt of consent and I wouldn't have read it in a different category.

anon.1

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 7 years ago

While I appreciated the effort and the quality of the writing, I found the story quite boring.

soldierboy50401soldierboy50401almost 7 years ago
Well done.

Very well done. 5*

maxx308maxx308almost 7 years ago
A great read.

Thanks for sharing. 5*****

imanononeimanononealmost 7 years ago
not sure

Great story but I am not sure if timeline with Tim and Sarah Stone work with Sarah's marriage to John. The author says that Tim and Sarah were able to get their marriage back on track. John and Sarah got married in the 40's. When did Tim die so she could marry John? Was there adequate time.

Still a good story. Wish there would have been more development of Sylvia's character. Not enough said about her. She had sex on and off for several years. These must have been voluntary until Redhead Breeder decided to gangbang her. There is no way that she could not have avoided Redhead if she had wanted. Her attitude toward what was happening should have been developed.Did she have guilt or was she enraptured with the better sex she got from the Breeder? We know she felt guilt and depression after the death of child but did she feel guilt about her adultery. It would be nice to know.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 7 years ago
A nice story, but it appears to be tainted with modern sensitivity.

First, everyone in the region would have known what the red head asshole was doing. They breed animals to secure desirable traits, so they are familiar and knowledgeable of genetic inheritance. Second, they would have killed him without regret or remorse. Third, rural women of that era were familiar with guns, and if one of the men hadn't of killed him, one of the women would have. It was odd you made the wife stupid and helpless, but her mother tough and gun savvy. Why would the wife even let the bastard back on her property, much less socialize and share refreshments with him? The first rape made some sense. The subsequent fucking, for years, seemed contrived, and mindless, or intentional. It ruined the rest of the story.

And is there a subliminal cuckolding propensity for your lead character? Is it just coincidence that John plays the role of cleanup man after the red head asshole first breaks his women in, teaching them what real sex is about?

I suspect this was supposed to be quaint and nostalgic. I'm glad others enjoyed it, but in a way I found it insulting and demeaning of rural Maine folk of that era.

xtremeddxtremeddalmost 7 years ago
not sure I should... no story about your story an how wrong you are bout it.

Thanks for sharing on Lit. 5*

OK?

x

gordo12gordo12almost 7 years ago
Well written

But for some reason my mind just couldn't meld with the characters. I ended up with a what just happened state of mind at the end. 4*

pkmapkmaalmost 7 years ago
Thanks

From an old New England boy. You take me back to a time when the village took care of its own problems in a quiet way. Everyone understood but didn't bluster and cause a fuss. You presented life as it was very eloquently. Today we would want it to be video on the evening news with some jerk passing judgement with no brains but lots of opinions. Thank you - a well told tale.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 7 years ago
Take heart!!!!

Don't suffer your critics! They don't realize your well thought out talent and the way you put it to paper. Keep up your excellent work!!!.....Don

chytownchytownalmost 7 years ago
Great Read*****

Very enjoyable read. I love location stories. Thanks for sharing!!!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 7 years ago
What a fine piece of writing

Thank you MFH

Otis

betrayedbylovebetrayedbylovealmost 7 years ago
Damn

No way. Too many redheads in the family. Also too many cucks. Not enjoyable at all.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 7 years ago
@imanonone

John Dawes didn't marry Tim's wife. Probably the first name is the same, but he married the 18 year old virgin seduced by the breeder, who went to the teachers college down at Orono (page 2).

FD45FD45almost 7 years ago

Wasn't Sara the DAUGHTER of one of his friends who was screwed by Wendell?

She was the girl who was 18, just out of the Academy and going off to college.

This is from memory and my first reading, so I might be wrong.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 7 years ago
Too many cucks?!?!?

Talking about your club of cockless virgin wonder-turds? This is excellent writing, enhanced by the shame and rage it generated in the closet-cuckold community.

5 stars!!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 7 years ago
@sbrooks103x

After reading your rresponse to my comment I re-read morning sex description. I concede your point and my failure to develop my statement more fully.

Yes, he pinned her down

Yes, she had fury in her eyes.

But also, Yes within ten minutes she was having an orgasm. That fact us what led to my ''eagerly'' description.

By the way, I enjoy your stories also!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 7 years ago
Very interesting

During this period of history life in the country patterned this tale... Too many readers will not know of this setting... Ask your grandparents and they may discuss this with you. But do not be surprised if they act as you are asking a question from outer space. These facts were left unspoken.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 7 years ago
History

History is full of great stories, some wonderful, some shameful, some horrid. Ask George Santayana about history; it is relevant today as well.

Well written and you did have to pay attention to detail and example.

Great job again.

Tiny Tim

silentsoundsilentsoundalmost 7 years ago
4*

Would have gone for 5* but didn't like anyone in the story and didn't like the lack of details.

Sylvia was an unsympathetic slut who apparently seriously enjoyed every visit from Wendell until he included friends. Endured it my ass! She let him fuck her how many times over the course of three years until she gave birth to his bastard?

What a whore. Seems like that county had more than it's fair share of skanky bitches.

Good thing their husbands liked licking Wendell off their wives so much to keep them.

I hated that when Sylvia was raped, the first time was, that her rapist was an amazing lover and skilled chemist. Don't think that combination would have existed in the scenario you painted but I haven't researched how skilled the rapists were in that era.

Mrs. Stone was a disgusting whore. Mrs. Clay was probably the worst.

Wendell should have been killed but apparently the women enjoyed getting fucked by him too much and having his babies, while the men simply didn't have the balls.

I knew my grandfather and his brothers well. They lived and raised families through the depression. Some fucking around most probably took place but a man getting caught was dead meat.

Even though I hated this story, very good writing. Should have given us the details of the come to Jesus conversation between John and Sylvia.

Very disappointing.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 7 years ago
Dont worry Silentsound

I'm sure the guy fucking your wife behind your back is a much better lover than the guys your grandmother cheated with back in the depression.

silentsoundsilentsoundalmost 7 years ago
Thanks

For the very well thought out and extremely intelligent comment on my comment anon.

P.S. Didn't miss the part about his second wife. Guess John just can't stop cleaning up after good old Wendell! LOL!

sbrooks103xsbrooks103xalmost 7 years ago
John's Wife Sarah

It seems unclear, but I DON'T think that his wife Sarah is related to the Stone's. I don't believe that it was at all common for daughters to be given the mother's name.

Regarding the statement "It seems my father's first wife and my mother shared some experiences with an unsuitable fellow." It's unlikely that his wife Sarah had any experience with Wendell, unless maybe if she went to college out of state? Her mother's experience wouldn't be hers. I think that she had her own experiences with ANOTHER unsuitable fellow. God knows there's no shortage!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 7 years ago
Sarah

Here is a quote from the story regarding Tim and Sarah Stone. Sarah was screwed by the Breeder Man who actually bred her. She confessed it to her husband Tim and had Breeder man's redheaded baby but they did not divorce and stayed together.

Quote: "Both Tim and Sarah Stone were Roman Catholics and divorce was not an easy thing when forgiveness and mercy were the bargaining chips of the day, at least from the public spectacle. So peace under the same roof was needed if just for sanity's sake."

Later it says they (Sarah and Tim) were able to put their marriage back together.

It is too much of a coincidence to have John marry Sarah, who had a mutual experience with a bad man with him, for it not to have been intended to be Tim'w wife, Sarah, who, apparently without any thing but lust (i e no drugs) from the way the scene was described, gave Breeder a blow job and sexed him and got pregnant. The authors intended the reader to think this because they would have written something to indicate otherwise unless they wanted readers to believe John ended up with Sarah Stone, wife of Tim Stone.

I did give this a 5* (and still do) but have some questions. Was it really that much more accepted for women in rural New England to cheat on their husbands? Also, in this case, it is implied that the depression had something to do with it but the story does not indicate that the women screwed the Breeder for financial or other reasons other than pleasure (some did it without the drugs) or initially by drugs and later for pleasure. No one did it for financial reasons related to the depression.

Also, this story does not make the connection between the time and place and the fact of no consequences to the wife for cheating. It may be true that almost a hundred years ago wives cheated without consequences in New England and elsewhere but my reading has seemed to indicate that wives and mothers, although they have always cheated, were more likely in prior generations to receive severe consequences and it was the men of bygone eras who were given a pass on fidelity.

anon.1

MainefiddleheadsMainefiddleheadsalmost 7 years agoAuthor
to help with some questions

First, I appreciate the good comments and constructive criticism. This is admittedly not the typical story in this genre. From this authors perspective the story is not really about Sylvia; it is a tale about Howell's Bend Road, the lives in an old Maine farmhouse and the old Depression era man named John.

Sylvia's first encounter with Wendell Acker was in 1934 and she was drugged by a seductive man with access to a variety of barbiturates, some used in his trade. The use of these drugs would be similar to the use of alcohol and enhancing drugs. Would she have done that being of a sound mind? Probably not but I also tried to present Sylvia as someone different than John, a woman who was raised in different circles and experiences.

The implication was that Sylvia was held in some form of relationship with the 'breeder man' either through a means of coercion, seduction or some combination. I haven't presented her as innocent but I have also avoided having her blatantly promiscuous. Her last sexual encounter with Wendell was in the fall of 1936 and she gave birth to her son Cecil in the summer of 1937. The child them died of pneumonia a month later.

It was in the fall of 1937 when Wendell surfaced again only to be run off by Sylvia's mother while John was off on a job. It was before these events that John, Melvin and Tim made their plans sitting outside the camp not long after the child's birth.

Wendell endured his torments on New Years Eve 1937 and the couple's reconciliation occurred from that point on until after the start of the War in 1941. It was in the summer of 1942 that Sylvia died.

The remainder of the story is contained in the camp vignette where eventually John's second wife is revealed. The second wife is not the ex-wife of Tim Stone nor is she the daughter of Tim Stone. When I was growing up there were three women named Sarah on the long familiar farm road. In this case, I had the young daughter in mind who had been seduced by Wendell at a young age but fortunately escaped his further deprivations by being away to school when he returned the following fall.

I gave her the name Sarah because I had a particular girl in mind, quite unrelated to this story.

I hope this helps clear up some of the questions. I usually try to leave these things to the readers imaginations but admittedly this is a more complex story than I usually write.

Again, thanks for the kind words and encouragement from those I have in mind when I write.

MFH

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 7 years ago
So many people confused by "Sarah"

Really, it has been pointed out before, read this from page 2:

"He had made another conquest on his last visit the previous spring when one of the new families back down the road a piece hired him to tend to their freshening. The family's oldest daughter was getting ready to graduate from the Academy and had just turned eighteen and was going to go to the teachers college down at Orono. "

Now lets go to page 4:

"John Dawes met my mother at a social hosted by the Stutzman family down the road from our place. Her family also lived on the road and she had returned after graduating from the teachers college down to Orono and taking a teaching position out to town. Old Mr. Stone and his wife introduced them and they were a couple from that moment on."

Still confused? SHE IS NOT THE SAME SARAH AS THE WIFE OF OLD MR STONE, SHE IS THE 18 YEAR OLD ORONO TEACHER S COLLEGE STUDENT.

imanononeimanononealmost 7 years ago
Fiddleheads

Thank you for allowing us to know what you were thinking. Nevertheless, I cannot read your mind. By using the name Sarah, while the only other Sarah mentioned by name was Tim Stone's wife, AND by stating she had a similar relationship with a bad man (not going to look up the exact quote) you inadvertently strongly implied it was Sarah Stone. The implication was so strong I don't even consider it ambiguous. I do not down mark for this however. I had thought you were trying to add an interesting coincidental element to the story. A good story and I look forward to more.

anon.1

ejsathomeejsathomealmost 7 years ago
Thank you . . .

. . . for another gem. Big fan. When your name pops up with a new submission, I rejoice. 5*, well deserved. The detail in your wonderfully descriptive settings sets you apart from all the talented writers on this site. Sincerely appreciated.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 7 years ago
Thank you

so tired of other author's lack of imagination and taking the easy way to repackaged previous stories. Your character development is amazing. I always feel that a good story is one that you do not feel that you are reading but rather that you are participating with. Thank you for the entertainment and allowing a momentary respite from my daily problems.

Samson

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 7 years ago
worth saving

If the husbands could come up with a way to undetected attach means to pull predator out of water, they certainly could have doen same for the chain.

Then the only decision would be which to pull out of lake first.

Wonderful writing but husbands came off as being more concerned about continuing to have access to breeder's prize bulls, than they were about predator breeding their wives.

From my multiple times of reading story, I came away with conclusion the husbands just accepted their wives adultery until breeder began bring friends along.

Up until then, the wives certainly enjoyed and looked forward to the breeder's far superior sexual skills and equipment.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 7 years ago
question answered

Any question about Sylvia's willingness th cheat after first time is cleared up with sentence

''John Dawes had been robbed and his own woman was in on the caper''

silentsoundsilentsoundalmost 7 years ago
Thanks for the break down.

That was the picture I had Mainefiddleheads.

Just because I don't like a story or the outcome doesn't mean it is not a very good work.

I was repulsed by repulsive behavior and really desired more in the way of details but I understand that was not this story style.

If this wasn't well written, it would not have had nearly the impact it did.

Well done.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 7 years ago
for worth saving anon

I think the before 1965 years the divorce decision was a difficult thing mainly for rural people. One of the couples was catholic and the the catholic background was a obstacle too. The effect of the divorce caused the loss of the farm in the hard time of the 30s. The 3 wives are not the classical serial cheater materials. One of them wanted more children from the husband after the bastards. I think she wanted her sin to buri with more common kids.

Do not forget the anticontraceptive was less possibility that time...

Once more the author wrote in the story these marriages would have ended in divorce nowdays.

Also do not forget the best solution for a cheating spouse to live other people and every other solution worse and worse....

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 7 years ago
EXTREMELY WELL DONE

Heart touching. Very well written

sbrooks103xsbrooks103xalmost 7 years ago
@Anonymous Re: "So many confused"

You obviously cross-posted with MFH where he said that second wife Sarah was NOT the daughter of Sarah Stone,

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 7 years ago
Brlliant!

I've always loved Maine, regretably only as an "away". The people are real, self-sufficient and very generous with themselves once you get past the New England aloofness. Your story brings memories of many delightful Mainers I have been privileged to know. Thank you.

DFWBeastDFWBeastalmost 7 years ago
Thank you!

Very entertaining story even though a bit dark. I'm always in awe of how you bring the reader into whatever location you're story's setting is in.

Again thanks for the read!

Killian

JbRobertssonJbRobertssonalmost 7 years ago
Loved the story, MFH.

As usual, I loved the story. I really enjoy your writing and the only complaint I usually have is that they end much too soon. This story reminded me a bit of "A Painted House", by Grisham - of course, this one was a lot shorter and covered a much longer period of time.

A couple of things I have problems with though, if you can call them problems: I don't believe a man would have been allowed to stay in a house overnight with no one but another man's wife to keep him company. They were pretty strict about that back then; getting caught alone in a house with another man's wife was a good way to get shot back in the day. Still is in some states. It's more likely the "breeder man" would have been invited to come along to the barn raising, regardless of whether or not the bull have covered the cows yet. And the husband would probably have stood there staring at the man until he agreed to go along - or maybe he would have been offered a nice pallet in the barn.

The second issue: I don't believe those husbands would have spared his life and I'm quite sure they would never have been prosecuted, if ever even charged. It was a different time back then, and I'm not sure our ways today are an improvement. Doing away with a varmint wouldn't have phased men who were living through the Depression. I figure they would have dumped him in the lake, gone home for a good meal, then slept like a baby.

Great story. You keep writing and we'll keep reading. Thanks!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 7 years ago
milking cows daily

You have a wonderful way with words, but your story has all the DAIRY FARMERS away from home for days leaving wifes to predator... not sure who would be milking all the cows-a daily requirement for such operations and doubtful that husbands would neglect their livelihood.

Well written but too many redhaired bastards, too many husbands taking extended leaves during breeder's visits to be believed.

Not sure how the rural males of Maine will view your portrayal of all of them being so sexually incompetent, or their wives to be so wanton.

Despite your comment about Sylvia's portrayal she did come off as a lascivious female who eagerly engaged in adulterous sex until lover brought friends around...you did

write breeder made sure to visit her during several return trips-that only could have happened if she was more than willing. She would have also been quite knowledgeable about her fertile days, the numerous redhaired bastards and thus had to know the likelihood that he would impregnate her.

My take on Sylvia and her husband is neither had much character although the story is written to elicit an admiration of husband and sympathy for Sylvia.

Although I respect your writing ability and enjoy your stories, the husband was a fool and the wife a slattern at least around breeder.

MainefiddleheadsMainefiddleheadsalmost 7 years agoAuthor
anony.. milking cows

Most farms along the dirt road in those days were subsistence farms in that they might have 2 or 3 cows with husbandry chores performed by everybody in the family. They were not particularly working dairies although I recall a fellow who kept 24 milkers and sold to a milk truck twice a week.

These farmers would raise chickens and other livestock but unless they were keeping several head of cattle they would not keep a bull on the premises. A bull doesn't pull it's weight unless he's working the numbers or if he is castrated early for use as an Ox. A young bull would either be sold or slaughtered for the meat.

MFH

12
Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous