All Comments on 'Love is the Drug'

by gunhilltrain

Sort by:
  • 10 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousalmost 6 years ago
Huh?????? Romance???

Huh?????

gunhilltraingunhilltrainalmost 6 years agoAuthor

Well, what category would you put it in?

Northpacific2017Northpacific2017almost 6 years ago
Interesting

Missed the romance, had potential till the end.

NorthPacific

nthusiasticnthusiasticalmost 6 years ago
Correct Category? Non-Erotic

Interesting story, but one of the least romantic tales I've ever read. Romance readers prefer sweetness & light & especially the HEA, none of which were in your tale. Non-Erotic readers, on the other hand, are much more diverse & open to the unexpected.

I'd like to read more of his internet dating experiences. I've certainly got enough of my own. It used to amaze me how difficult it was for a reasonably attractive woman to find a play pal. The guys talked a good game yet seldom actually showed up. I sometimes wondered whether I'd be more successful if I pretended to be married. Do you think it would work?

gunhilltraingunhilltrainalmost 6 years agoAuthor
I'm probably going to move it . . .

. . . as soon as some text edits are approved.

Oh, HEA is happily ever after.

I'm not sure what is going on with dating sites recently. However, pretending to be married might work for a "play pal" if that means short term. And that depends on how you define short term: two weeks? A month?

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 6 years ago

Well written and grammar was spot on. Technical references to internet dating sites vs time of cellphones emerging needed a bit more research though. I agree with most that the romance aspect fell a little short. For what it was, it was well thought out and did the job of a quick episode of what could be an ongoing adventure. Please don't give up. Give your main character more adventures and maybe have a few actual encounters to soothe the romance critics. And skip the song quotes. Reference the song, we can all find the lyrics. Don't waste the time unless they are essential to the story.

gunhilltraingunhilltrainalmost 6 years agoAuthor

Thank you for your comments. The technical aspects of the previous decade are the way I remember them but I may have forgotten some of the details. I'm pretty sure that smart phones (starting around 2007-08?) changed dating a lot through the use of Tinder and so forth.

gunhilltraingunhilltrainover 5 years agoAuthor
Dear Readers:

I decided a while ago not to move this to another category. The story may be disappointing to many of you because it's about romantic expectations that fizzle out - although I think in a humorous way.

Anyway, for a more upbeat love story please look at Woodstock 1975 which is my entry in the Summer Lovin' contest. I don't think I can link from here so you can get to it from the contest page.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago

Guy tries to hook up with some skanky woman online who posts naked photos of herself for general public consumption, wants her anyway, gets stood up and that's romance? Okay, then.

gunhilltraingunhilltrainover 5 years agoAuthor
You're missing the point

Maybe deliberately just to be annoying.

In our society romance has been replaced by mere "dating" (for reasons that are too complicated to get into here). Once personal ads in newspapers were a niche used by the desperate. By the early 2000s online dating sites became popular but with very mixed results (as shown in the story).

There is potential for stories about Tinder and PlentyOfFish but someone else will have to write those.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
usergunhilltrain@gunhilltrain
179 Followers
Time and place matter I suppose. At present I'm between the Metro-North (formerly New York Central) Harlem Division and the NYC Transit Authority's #2 train line. Thus I'm on both the wrong side and the right side of the tracks at the same time. Anyway, for me the Midnight Sp...