All Comments on 'A Summer Sunday in Savannah'

by Dinsmore

Sort by:
  • 76 Comments
george55george55almost 18 years ago
A Summer Sunday in Savannah

I've commented privately several times to Dinsmore. This time I'll do it here. I chose Savannah for my honeymoon. Love the place. Know it's history in helping to protect this country. Dislike the military mindset, but have no problem thanking them for what they do for us. Hopeless romantic, I think this story hit me close to home. Another superlative effort by Dinsmore. Would love to sit down with a full length novel by this author.

duddle146duddle146almost 18 years ago
Enduring Story!

Hi Dinsmore,

What an interesting story. Reading it one feels as if they live a lifetime in your character's shoes. Such beautiful flow, and everything taking place in a logical manner. With it all, there is a air of sweet Romance that pervades the story throughout. Some of us write; but, you create an outstanding story each time out.

duddle146

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 18 years ago
Great

Another winner!

Boyd

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 18 years ago
A Great Love Story

Just loved the story! Great, now I have to read all your others. Please keep them coming! I live in the Savanah area and love it. Was it the Sea Shack?

gatorhermitgatorhermitalmost 18 years ago
Another good one, Dinsmore

Great read, Dinsmore. Concise; lots of punch. I appreciate the underlying values - foundational principles - upon which all of your stories are based.

Is always a treat to scroll down and see a new story from you.

peggytwittypeggytwittyalmost 18 years ago
Great love story

I feel your love of Savannah. I feel the same of Charleston SC Where this younger groundpounder married his life's love almost 40 years ago. I vividly relive that memory of Old Charleston and a young tall woman of quality and sexuality that let me know I would be her only love forever.

Age brings on reflection that only grows stronger with calmness and hope for all who love.

Thank you for the love story

PT

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 18 years ago
Notice To Anyone Who Can Read - Read This

to be entertained while feeling good about the possibilities of life.

Exceptional work Author - Respect is a neat tool isn't it.

With Very High Regard

Tail End PeteTail End Petealmost 18 years ago
Good job as usual.

Another good read from a good author. May I suggest using a thesaurus? The wrong word causes rereads and back ups that destroy the story's flow. ie. Empire State business?

You write really good stories. Make them better by proofing them 'just one more time' before posting.

Thanks.

Tail End Pete

forsaken11forsaken11almost 18 years ago
Dinsmore, You Are a Prick

To make an old war dog like me to shed a bunch of tears..Your story brought back a lot of repressed memories..A beautiful, well crafted tale.. Don't stop, give us more..

Forsaken

TLeeTLeealmost 18 years ago
Thank you

Your story is exceptional. I turned each page looking forward to the next. This could very well be the best story I have had the pleasure to read on this site. Thank you for writing and posting your works for your readers to enjoy.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 18 years ago
Thank You

As a "part time" military officer of some 33 years, I greatly appreciate your explaination of the minds and lives of military personnel who every day put themselves in harms way so that the "average" citizen can sit back and bitch about what is wrong with this great Country that we live in. Thank you!!!!!!!

DesertPirateDesertPiratealmost 18 years ago
You are a special person

Thanks once again for a wonderful tale. I don't have a clue how you do it but please don't stop. Someday you will have to write that novel that keeps peeking from between the lines and I will have to buy it, done deal!

Now this late 70s sub sailor has to say THANK YOU for how you treat the military in your stories. Most people in uniform are very dedicated and honourable just like you write it. Anyone who has served knows that "John Wayne ain't here" and someone that thinks he is will get you killed. When I served we rarely wore uniforms off base. My Dad was a Navy radioman with the beachmasters at North Africa, Sicily, Italy, and Southern France, and in the command ship radio room at Iwo Jima and Okinawa. Three cousins in Nam, all came home, one still has a limp. The son of one of them was in Storm and Freedom. The son of another cousin was on a Cruiser in the Gulf. I have one nephew currently standing guard at Gitmo. do I have a prejudiced opinion about the services? Bet your ass I do! These are the people that give the complainers (who have never done a damn thing but bitch) The right and a chance to annoy the rest of us.

Thanks again!

northbaybearnorthbaybearalmost 18 years ago
Love Embraced! Beautiful!

Another great, warm, tender, rapturous and beautiful tale by a very fine writer. Your descriptions of the love people have for Savannah and its environs makes me want to take my love there tomorrow. Thank you so much for another special story.

In gratitude,

Bruce

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 18 years ago
Exlempary

Well written and developed.

Thoroughly enjoyed the story and all the characters and the challanges they offered.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 18 years ago
Wow,

Well, you certainly hit all of the buttons for me. Having lived in Charleston, and been in Savannah many times, you got that right. Having been reared in the military, and then served many many years ago, you actually repeated almost verbatum discussions I have had with many people over the years.

AND...Oh Yeah! the story was great. I have consistently enjoyed your stories. I surely did this one as well, but perhaps it was too close to home for me to give you an unbiased opinion. Just keep up the good work

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 18 years ago
DAMN!

Great, what more can I say!!!!!!!!!

Beam_of_liteBeam_of_litealmost 18 years ago
Link to this story

was sent to me by a new friend.I have never read any of your work before.After reading THIS story that will change.I look forward to reading all of your stories.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 18 years ago
Bravo!

An extremely fine piece of work, well-researched and, in its own way, timeless.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 17 years ago
Very Good!

I enjoyed your work very much.

Thank You, & keep it up.

JackofMyTradeJackofMyTradeabout 17 years ago
Damn!!

That's it!! You're going to have to do a larger piece of work and incorporate these elements that I've read in your stories. I'm an avid SF/Fantasy reader and your work is easily as good as McCaffery, Foster, Anthony and others. You'll have to keep us, (the readers), posted. Great job!!

AnonymousAnonymousover 15 years ago
Damn, that was good.

A super story. Your characters are alive and captivating. Your story gives an insight into military life/relationships that must be largely unknown outside of the military. I especially like your strong take charge characters. Keep up the great writing.

The NavigatorThe Navigatorover 14 years ago
Outstanding!!

This is up to your usual high standard. As a retired military I applaud your ability to describe the mindset of dedicated, career military officers.

AnonymousAnonymousover 14 years ago
Please write more

I have enjoyed this piece several times since it was originally posted and just wished you were still writing.

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago
Please Write more romances

Please write more romances...... A lot more..... I really feel it suits your style. It was a real pleasant read! Thanks!

GualterioGualterioalmost 13 years ago
I really enjoyed this, especially your depiction of our military

I appreciated your depiction of military men and their motivations and the romance aspect of this story as well. Thanks!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 12 years ago
Excellent

coming from somewhat of a military family it warmed my heart that there are some people in this world who are not biased towards the military. also it was one the most well written roman stories i have read. thank you

AnonymousAnonymousover 11 years ago
As a son of a ARMY father...

I loved this story ...and always have a nod of the head and a thank you for those who serve not only my country but the Neighbours to the South...yeah I'm Canadian...but those who serve in the name of freedom...often have no say in where or when they are called on...THANK YOU...

AnonymousAnonymousabout 10 years ago
Well written story

The author really knows how to capture an audience. Very well written.

A pity only that he believes that the US on their own can decide if a war is legal or not.

I guess, if you are powerful enough, nothing else counts.

SoleSurvivor1969SoleSurvivor1969about 10 years ago
Great memories

Savannah is as close to a "home town" as I've got.

One sister still there. We visit a lot.

My bit of war was 45 years ago.

Never will be past it but my wife' love sure made be as whole as possible.

HansTrimbleHansTrimbleover 9 years ago
This hit home with me on several levels

First, Savannah. In elementary school, a teacher told me that it's the most remarkable city in the USA, and on many trips up and down the Atlantic coast I've detoured to take my traveling companions through that fascinating city, most recently my grandson who was freshly discharged from a five year Army tour of duty, including some of the worst places in Afghanistan. Savannah casts a spell on young and old, men and women, and everyone I've taken there has been moved by the experience. This story showed me that you feel it, too.

Second, military service. You pegged it perfectly. My own service was only two years during the Korean War. I think I learned more and matured more during those two years than in any similar period in my whole life. War is surely hell, but serving our country, defending our way of life, is an honor.

Third, falling in love. You have a rare gift for understanding that rare burst of magic that can come in a flash. It may take years to get to know someone, but sometimes a person who is sensitive and perceptive can fall in love in minutes, or even seconds, when the right person comes along.

Finally, the gift of writing characters that spring off a page and become real in the mind of the reader, was described well here, and demonstrated well, too. How I wish I could do it! As your characters pointed out so well, some of us have the gift but most of us don't.

A very well conceived and well crafted story. Thank you.

TavadelphinTavadelphinover 9 years ago
You do desperately need to have used and editor -

BUT there is nothing lost in the sotry if you pat attention as a reader - so fuck it -

Tear jerker and awesome - it went exactly as one hoped it would with Vanessa - they were the perfect match and belonged where they ended up -

Great story Thank you - write more - please

kjohns2001kjohns2001almost 9 years ago
Damn near perfect

About as close to a perfect story as I've ever read. It has only one flaw really, that being that it is too short. I would dearly love to see this expanded into at least a novels and novellas selection, then perhaps a full length book. It would benefit from having the freedom of a less constrained time line as well as a much broader physical scope. If the lead character's history, both before and during his war years, were added then it would go from a great short story to an exceptional read at any length, but what is here seems more like a very condensed end of the story rather than a complete one. I must say that the author is one of the best I've read, anywhere not just on this site, and it would be a shame if his talent were not given a much broader venue than short stories on a single website.

Skyhawk65Skyhawk65over 8 years ago
Ellipses...

Loved the story. Easily rates a 5. My mini tablet, not so much. You frequently join two or more words with ellipses, like...this. If the words are long my browser has conniptions trying to display the line. The solution is to terminate each ellipses with a space, like... this.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
Terrific

Where does a story like this come from? Great blending of characters, smooth story flow and wonderful interaction. Terrific! Thank you for not wasting my time.

DeKreDeKreabout 8 years ago
Well written, but ...

The war not illegal - perhaps if you consider only the american viewpoint.

There are international rules but, of course, the US are above all that; only others can be held responsible.

You should read what has been written in Nürnberg in 1945/46.

In any case, since Bush lied to everybody, I think the war was illegal even in the states (I don't think the constitution allows presidents to lie to the people).

DinsmoreDinsmoreabout 8 years agoAuthor
Reading comprehension. Read the fucking prologue before you go off on a dumbass rant of stupidity.

One reason I quit writing. Shit brains.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 8 years ago

Tell all the shit brains to go where it is hot, I love all your stories

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 8 years ago
Another asshat

Nicely written ! I hope you start up writing again , if indeed you have quit writing . Sadly , there are no shortage of asshats , are there ? Thanks for writing such interesting stories ! You are appreciated very much !

rightbankrightbankalmost 8 years ago
Thank you for your story Dinsmore;

thank you for your skill and talent

and I am glad to have found your work.

Any chance you will be submitting again in the future? Hoping.

rightbankrightbankalmost 8 years ago
Dear Dinsmore,

I just read through the comments. On behalf of those of us who did read the introduction you took the time to share with us, I would like to apologise for those who spent their whole time looking for ways to look for time links to a specific war/conflict and a Commander in Chief at whom they could point fingers and lay blame instead of enjoying your romantic and literate contribution.

I very much enjoyed the ambiguity. The generality and universality. The common attributes shared from one theatre to another. I think you did an excellent job of removing the issues from the level of international intrigue, bringing them down to the personal, one-on-one, how does it effect the people who carry out the individual tasks, viewpoint. As you forewarned us, it could have taken place at any time following WWII up to an unspecified date in the future (2030?).

Your choice of Savannah as the setting lent itself to the timelessness of the story. The geography, architecture, and cuisine have remained static for generations and will probably still be the same for an indeterminate period. Even the Universities from which the many advanced degrees were earned are "old school" mainstays of higher learning.

On this site there will always be someone in a hurry to get to the "stroke" moment, or to read about the fiery retribution carried out on another cheating spouse, and I truly feel sorry for them. They miss out on many really good short stories. They also deprive themselves of the opportunity to learn about cultures and conditions they have not experienced.

I, for one, am going to avail myself of the opportunity to read more of your works on this site. Since it appears you have chosen to not add to your catalogue here on Lit, can you tell us if your writings can be found anywhere else?

Still hoping.

RB

john1946john1946over 7 years ago
I love Savannah

You couldn't have picked a better setting for the story. I kept thinking about the dinner house you wrote about. There were some great ones for sure. Wonderful memories of Tybee Island and shrimp boils as well. A fun, riviting story. Love the Army connection. Thanks

flarebel2327flarebel2327over 7 years ago
Savannah

having been there many times still has the rustic southern style .never having served because of losing a shoulder joint in 59 a big THANKS to all that have & those that will serve. the Gulf war was to keep I dictator from taking over the whole middle east. the war after 6/11 was also needed because of the sneak attack much like Pearl Harbor 12/7/1941 . if we had a pres, with any balls ISIS would not be nappening . of course he's related to a lot of them

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
Outstanding Story

First time I've read this one, I don't know how I've missed it for so long. I realize the author specifically did NOT set a time frame for this story, but it reads like it came right out of the late 1960's or early '70's, a time and a war that I am personally very familiar with. Regardless of the time setting, it is a great story and I enjoyed it very much. Many thanks to the author. 5 Stars, without doubt.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 7 years ago
One of the things I like about reading

is that a word or phrase will often be one I have no knowledge of and off I go and look it up. In this case it was "low country shrimp boil".

Though stationed for a few years not far from there, I never got to Savannah until 50 years later. You did wonderfully in your descriptions of the area.

Thank you for your stories, thank you for the subject/background. (Though I do disagree with your position on the draft being a bad thing. It might be bad for the service, but the separation of the military and civilian populations from each other is not, IMHO, good for the country.)

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 7 years ago
Outstanding Story

I liked this story a lot. My only complaint would be that the story is too short. Another page or two would have been nice. Other than that the story is perfect. 5 Stars.

TTEDTTEDover 6 years ago
5 STARS....

ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT....TRUE ,A FEW MORE PAGES WOULD HAVE ROUNDED IT OUT, BUT LIKE THE MANUSCRIPT IN THE STORY ,UNNECESSARY...AM ENJOYING READING YOUR ROMANCE STORIES AND FIND THEM VERY ORIGINAL IN SETTINGS AND PLOTS AND SATISFYING IN THE WHOLE ....A DEFINITE IMPROVEMENT ON MOST OF THE STORIES ON THIS SITE....PLEASE CONTINUE TO BLESS US WITH YOUR WRITING....REGARDS FROM NEW ZEALAND...

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
Thank you.

One of my best, I think.

pumpop201pumpop201over 6 years ago
Thanks

Thanks for a wonderful story.

DeKreDeKreover 6 years ago
Are you really naive?

I find your attitude on your country's wars somewhat simplistic. People refusing to participate are a lot more intelligent. Why should anybody suffer just so that some politician's ego gets flattered and some war profiteers get even richer?

I agree with the good job the US did in the second war but since? Supporting every right wing dictator they could find. Especially if he had oil.

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
Why.

Do Americans fawn so much over members of the military?

"Thank you for your service" etc.

Calling a dead soldiers family "gold star" is almost cringe worthy.

The vast majority never see any action and the career soldiers live a comfortable life off of taxpayers money.

Respect is one thing and should be shown but the juvenile soundbites just seem very strange.

Ex soldier btw (not US)

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
The story was very good. The comments of foreigners not so good.

I thoroughly enjoyed this story on several levels, including the notion of instant mutual love. I also believe the author's comments regarding the educational level and integrity of military members are correct.

I served over 20 years myself some of it in combat. I'm also well educated in the humanities, have taught at the university level, speak a couple of foreign languages and attempt to think.

I do not appreciate the comments of the two people just preceding mine, but I do appreciate the USA and Americans even considering that we make a lot of mistakes.

john1946john1946over 6 years ago
Wish I coulid add stars....

I have just re-read for the upteenth time and the story is wonderful every time. This is my first 2nd comment. It has got to be one of if not my favorite. Of course living in Savannah and eating at that restaurant are great memories. And that was the early 70’s. And I was in the army, but Savannah was just after. Thanks again

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago

One of my favorite stories by one of my favorite authors here on Lit. The author tried to obscure the time setting of this story at the beginning, but I think he threw enough subtle clues in to suggest that it took place circa 1970-1971, during the beginning of the end of American involvement in Vietnam. I could be wrong but I don’t think so. Like I said, great story. D. - L, 3/26 BLT 9th MAB 69,70.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
No rating...didn't finish...

couldn't get through the first page. Know it all dicks are just tiresome.

flarebel2327flarebel2327over 5 years ago
morons

all ways have to have someone mouth off about a story & hide his I D . several times I have read this 1 & have picked up something new .even though he tries not to date it seems like Nam comes to mind.

FreeJohnFreeJohnover 5 years ago
Very well done

I've made it a point to read everything that the author Dinsmore has shared here at Lit.

I really like your style and your support for the TROOPS!!!

Former Marine here....Semper Fi

teedeedubteedeedubabout 5 years ago
outstanding

again. Screw the idiots who say otherwise.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 5 years ago
A basic misunderstanding

I rarely comment in stories, but I must thank you for this 5 * story! I didn't serve myself, choosing marriage to a woman who wanted no part of being a military wife over family tradition. That being said, I STRONGLY support, admire, and respect the men and women who willingly place their bodies between their loved ones and the desolation of war.

Reading many of the negative comments, I find a recurring theme centered around the misunderstand I referenced in the title, specifically the nature of national sovereignty. Sovereign nations can never acknowledge or recognize any other authority over their decisions of any kind. Any such limitations means they are not fully sovereign, e.g. the "nations" of Europe vs the EU. As such, a sovereign can only wage war illegally if they have broken their "own" laws to do so. No one else can determine legality in any way. Other nations or states can judge on the morality or justice of a sovereign nation's decisions based on their own sovereign interests but those judgments cannot render such a decision illegal.

I respect my fellow citizens who may argue a decision's constitutionality far more than those who declare the nation's decisions illegal. I don't always find the arguments compelling, but they certainly deserve far greater respect than any slogan chanter on any side.

I certainly don't expect citizens, residents, or subjects of other nations or states to agree with my interpretation of the American Declaration of Independence and Constitution or the rights and responsibilities they codify and recognize (not grant). If they did, they would have already immigrated and become citizens themselves.

If anyone has read to the end of this post, I can only say you exhibit strong moral fiber! Or maybe insomnia...

I would welcome any polite arguments in support or opposition to my statements here. I hope I've made it clear I have no need to agree with you to support your right to speak your mind. Simple name callers, on the other hand, will receive the mockery they have earned.

DeKreDeKrealmost 5 years ago
Anonymous 04/27/19

What about George W. Bush's blatant lies about Iraq? Did they agree with the laws?

Actually Hitler's war actions agreed with the then valid laws, so would you consider he was legal?

DinsmoreDinsmoreover 4 years agoAuthor
What in the world

Does George Bush have to do with this story? Absolutely nothing!

Wolfgang1955Wolfgang1955over 4 years ago
5☆

Great story..we we're forewarned.. makes me want to read more of your stories..

flarebel2327flarebel2327over 4 years ago
spread over

this story could cover any of 3 or 4 conflicts the U S has been in. the central blooming idiots got us into Irac .

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
The voice, was all over your story..

Thank you for this beautiful piece.

Rancher46Rancher46over 3 years ago

This wonderful love story that by the chance meeting between the young army officer (writer) and the mother (Literary Agent) of the young woman who our young Army Officer falls madly in love makes this a romantic story to be enjoyed. These readers who try and make this story into some kind of political statement just don't appreciate a well written love story. It get a 5 star+ from me. Well done Dinsmore, another love great story that has a happily ever after.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Wow! What a great love story read!

I read this story a couple weeks ago and I think it was better the second time. It had amazing character development and kept me interested till the end!

Baton Rouge Cajun Guy

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago

Great romance. Well written. Five Star without a doubt!!!

lukeshortlukeshortalmost 3 years ago
Great Story

You write good stuff. 5*

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago
Great story 5 stars

I've read this one many times and always loved it so much. It is a bit disappointing that his future works never reached the level of his first. Your supposed to get better over time. He never did.

OlgreyfoxOlgreyfoxover 2 years ago

WOW!! Another great story by one of my favorite authors. I am relatively new to Lit, just about 3 yrs reading stories now. I have a lot of fodder to work through but I already have a list of favorite authors. A Dinsmore story is always a welcome friend. I wonder where he went since his last story appeared in 2015. I imagine quite a few folks wonder the same. Thank you so much for sharing your writing talent with us and Kudos for all your wonderful stories.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Good story, though the characters were a bit too perfect.

dirtyoldbimandirtyoldbimanover 1 year ago

great, especially the beginning and part 1 and 2. some of 3 and 4 seemed a little rushed in character development.

G5902G5902over 1 year ago

At least my third reading of this wonderful story!!! Thank you for sharing such an incredibly well written story!!!

AnonymousAnonymous12 months ago

Outstanding! 5⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️s

bigbob2406bigbob240610 months ago

Beautiful !!Thank you very much.

AnonymousAnonymous8 months ago

Sometimes something is so good that to enumerate the many good things seems to be more abot te critic, that the amazing story.

My summary: Thanks Dinsmore!!!

The Hoary Cleric

AnonymousAnonymous5 months ago

I loved it but the main character seemed a little too perfect.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous