All Comments on 'Gunfight at the JD Corral'

by UpperNorthLeft

Sort by:
  • 15 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 month ago

Creative excellence! Two pages actual plot, whimsey, and style.Could see it expanded to a ss collection, novel.Hope the author continues.

OML

16GaDouble16GaDoubleabout 1 month ago

Great fun!

All five for ya'.

Jalibar62Jalibar62about 1 month ago

Demented farm equipment, hot tubs, and awful puns. What more could you want? Eagerly awaiting a Return to Coon Rapids.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 month ago

Enjoyed it 5.

But, on a serious note. Tractors have come along way from my day. Some are now heated and have A/C as well as a comfy captain's chair (with air ride for extra comfort). Some are connected to the GSP (they can drive themselves in a straight line to the end of the field). However, security has never been a pressing issue; eventhough, tractors are very expensive (from between $30,000 to $600,000).

Back in my day as a farmer (about 1968 to 1980) you could go any dealership and spend less than a dollar to purchase a key that would start ANY tractor of that particular brand.

You might ask why I am telling you this? Well, it seems the lack of thought also applies to remote car locks and garage door openers as well. That key fob or garage door remote you have is not exclusive. Many people with the same model you have might have access to your car or garage (it is hit or miss). There is very little if anything done to prevent the same signals being sold in the same area.

Sleep well with this knowledge.

OH did I mention the ability to remotely lock or unlock your front door through the internet.

Progress is not always a good thing.

dudley_tundishdudley_tundishabout 1 month ago

Not really erotic but funny. With the right cast this could be a pretty good movie.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 month ago

This achieved a small amount of amusement and will be rated accordingly.

Comentarista82Comentarista82about 1 month ago

The first twist is the fact there's no gun fight and simply stopping at the title might think JD is short for Jack Daniels instead of John Deere as we learn later.

The very first question I have when I read the story is what is Chris's middle name? I would assume by the tone of the story that his middle name is Fig.

I didn't realize there was a real story behind VIN- locking tractors, where John Deere then locked tractors that a bunch of Russian looters stole and shipped to Chechnya and then used the kill switch so that they could possibly only use them for spare parts (on the site called Medium on 8th May 2022). What makes this so hilarious though as a premise is that while Coon Rapids is an agricultural hub.. it has never been known for hacking activity - - which would almost be exclusively a Russian or Chinese specialty. So when you understand most of the farm mentality, it's highly unlikely any of the so-called high school students would have any hacking skills to pull this off anyway. Anyway when I saw the name of the team as well, I really wondered if you were trying to put the CART before the horse. ;-) Of course, it's even funnier when you realize what the average person uses the letters of IOWA to represent the people that live there.

Partly comical was the guy asking his wife to join him in bed, but then you see words like ooze and wallowed.. making them sound like either snails or pigs. You had me snickering! That was about on par with Tommy Lee burp-spelling words to win the spelling bee... after the computer burped out data for the farm maps!

It surprised me when his mom Marcy was grilling Lily that when it said that Chris and I continued to STFU... I'm surprised you didn't have John Cena crash in through one of the side windows and apply an STF to one of them! But then returning to the bricking of the tractors.. real hackers would never exercise any consideration, which increases the comical nature of this exploit. But I bet those farmers would have been more than sufficiently hacked off at the prospect!

You turn this completely on its head- - effectively manufacturing the twist by having the mom Marcy figure this all out--where a partly FBI-sanctioned team couldn't. That's priceless! Of course Marcy claiming Lily called her a BUTT AUNT.. meant that Marcy should have called Lily a BUTT HEAD!

Love that hilarious frenzy of combines corraling them to the back of the yard where Tommy Lee reenacts his Hay Henge just to top it off with the sticky payback! You have to love that the kids really felt like they got hosed twice! The two-month cell phone withdrawal proved amazingly insightful since teens in a backwater would really rely on it to have contact with a greater world. In some cases it would almost be like chopping off one of their arms for that time.

Well thought-out payback, many good puns and wordplays, and something that made me smile, snicker or laugh nearly the whole time--even the ending! Well done, and I will be following you to see how you progress and reading more of your works. Continue plowing ahead! ;-) 5

LitCritLitCritabout 1 month ago

Totally nerdy and cute! Well done.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 month ago
Meh.

Not erotic. Not realistic, but not silly enough to be even mildly amusing. Not very good.

ThatNewGuyThatNewGuyabout 1 month ago

Brilliant. A delightful, genuinely funny tale that I enjoyed from start to finish. The spelling bee burping scene gave me a good chuckle and I loved all the details of the big scene at the end: the robotic voices, the red eyes, "intruders will be harvested". Just great stuff. I look forward to checking out your other work!

Comentarista82Comentarista82about 1 month ago

I wanted to touch base since the contest finished, and see where the story landed. Sadly, it did not get the views it clearly deserved from what was very original thinking and writing. It may be that the story suffered only from where you placed it in terms of categories, as the winning Tale got nearly 36,000 views versus your about 1.6K. It seems to me that humor and satire is usually going to be a very low- viewed category unless the author in question already has a significant following. On the other hand, I just spot-checked some statistics and think you should be very encouraged by a couple of things: for one, while you've only written 6 stories, the winning entry only has 14; another very interesting item is that you have less than half of the winning entry's story output, yet you have 9 more followers then that author--which means you have 230 followers and the other author has 221. This truly indicates that it was more of the story placement than the story content. And it's certainly not a slam on the other author nor that entry; I would just say maybe get some advice on where your story might perform the best given the particular content? But I do want to encourage you to continue writing, because it's obvious you're writing possesses a great creativity and wit that can only spice up banter and exchanges between characters, so keep trying and I think you have plenty to be encouraged about!

AnonymousAnonymous16 days ago

WHAT?? NOooo gratuitous sex? NO over the top, impossible sexual performances, completely outside the scope of human physiological potential? No nonessential nudity to distract the reader from lackadaisical literary skills? Just how? How in the world do you expect me to give this one star?

Well I don't have change, so just take this 5⭐️ and be content with it!

I liked the fact that you wrote a story that did NOT have the contrived content based on what others 'think' a story (on this website anyway) needs. I have said this several times. The really good story tellers, write the best stories, never succumbing to gratuitous sexual encounters describing herculean bedroom Olympics. You wrote a story that shows love doesn't have to hurt someone. Love doesn't have to strip dignity from innocence. Love isn't about racking up a body count. Thanks for that. — TANSTAAFL

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userUpperNorthLeft@UpperNorthLeft
4/24/24: It has been a hoot collaborating with Jalibar62 on a joint story during the past few weeks under the username: Bay2Sound. Under that username we weave words crafted on the shores of our favorite bodies of water: Chesapeake Bay and the Salish Sea (aka Puget Sound). ...