All Comments on 'And Then I Saw Her'

by wayniepoo62

Sort by:
  • 84 Comments
DirtySingleMomDirtySingleMom15 days ago

That was different, thought provoking! A sad ending 5 Stars

bioman57bioman5715 days ago

Sad ending, Different slant on the issue.

TajfaTajfa15 days ago

I have an acquaintance whose wife had full blown dementia by age 40. She ended up in a home and has no idea who he is. Incredibly sad

AardieAardie15 days ago

wrong category.

MightyheartMightyheart15 days ago

5)5

I never saw it comming.

Brilliant writing.

Keep writing.

rublicksrublicks15 days ago

I can relate my wife has two sisters both with this

DickSnugfitDickSnugfit15 days ago

What a load of old cobblers!

Ooh yeah, these two VERY diverse problems present in so many ways that exhibit SUCH polar opposite characteristics, that confusing the two would be somewhat akin to mistaking an elephant for a dung beetle! Unless one has chronic Alzheimer's, of course!

You'd certainly be certifiable to pay a decade's worth of savings to a P.I. rather than a G.P. for a MEDICAL diagnoses!

MattblackUKMattblackUK15 days ago

Dick, in the story you just read, where does it say he hired a private detective? It doesn't. He had a report, which was a MEDICAL report.

MattblackUKMattblackUK15 days ago

A sad story. Happened to a neighbour of mine. His GP treated him for depression, a locum doctor didn't agree and diagnosed early onset dementia. He couldn't recognise his wife or his three children and would become so agitated when they visited him in the hospital that they told them to consider him dead.

gunmakergunmaker15 days ago

A good story but a sad one. Sadly, all to common. One the reader needs to digest for a spell. Give thought to.

GreyMatter46GreyMatter4614 days ago

What a twist. Congrats. thanks

JustOneMansOpinionJustOneMansOpinion14 days ago

You had a few missed words. I guess that helps with keeping the word count down. Married a few months after graduating, 10-year anniversary fund, equals what 28 years old or in that ballpark, and that is stretching the diagnosis of dementia? Not saying it's impossible, just a real stretch. Also, real men don't keep diary's they keep journals. Sounds better. It's a beginning of a story. Drop the diagnosis and change it to some other illness and you might have a good story. 3-stars.

mainer42mainer4214 days ago

What JOMO said.

R410aR410a14 days ago

I watched my brother in law go through this very scenario, including the fits of outrage when he would see her in nursing care. In the end she would become so agitated that he wasn't next to her when she died. But she was 64, not a young lady like the story suggests. What a horrible way to lose the love of your life. For my brother in law, it wasn't that his wife died, but that after 38 years she died not knowing who he was.

RedMockersRedMockers14 days ago

I thought the twist would be medical rather than a side piece, then I thought maybe a woman rather than a man. There is so much dementia in my family, it hurt too much. Cancer would have been easier to take. Still, good story.

Regguy69Regguy6914 days ago

Very sad and very scary. Dementia can be a living death. Having a healthy body and losing my mind is my worst fear. Destroying a lifetime of love and happiness and replacing it with only the misery of watching someone slip away is cruelty at its utmost.

MwestohioMwestohio14 days ago

Interesting left turn there

mathur_nkmathur_nk14 days ago
Not a good story. The msm must stand for her.

No. The story is not good. The feeling of "my marriage and my life.... over" shows weak character of the man. Once he found she is ill and not illicit, he has to stand and be with her in health and sickness. He should assure her she will always remember the love care soft touches of her husband inspite of dementia

robinhodrobinhod14 days ago

I did NOT see that coming. 5 stars without a doubt.

I shed more tears for my wife, who I lost 2 months ago.

We were lucky. She remembered me, and our family, to the end, and died peacefully at home amongst us.

Not early, we shared 62 great years.

Karl_HundassonKarl_Hundasson14 days ago

Tragic. Well written with an unexpected ending.

There is no greater horror than watching a loved one succumb to dementia.

CurrentParameterCurrentParameter14 days ago

Well done. sad story, but original.

hushjfhushjf14 days ago

I'm not understanding. If he spends the money to get a "report" about his spouse and it's a medical report, how does he get one showing a diagnosis of dementia if she hasn't been seen by a specialist? You can't. I read it as he got the medical report done and he's the one with dementia. I'm I missing something?

AnonymousAnonymous14 days ago

Well that was a complete failure as a 750-word story. You really need a LOT more words. Does she have dementia? Does HE have dementia. The Parents? Why would shopping be considered dementia? There's just too many possibilties for this ending. Not good.

lujon2019lujon201914 days ago

it cost 12000 dollar for non medical investigators to discover dementia?

it required his parents and in laws to read a non medical medical report?

AnonymousAnonymous14 days ago

Not early on set. Move to the country hope older and slower like we first met.

Not gonna happen in this life time.

LOVE a slap-hapy-papy #9

Mac_LapuMac_Lapu14 days ago

Nice twist I'm impressed how you crafted the misdirection quite well but had to ask how Sandy was able to be diagnosed as such? Are we to assume the money was spent on several tests and consultations? The misdirection or deception is you were silent on seeking medical help.

WorcoWorco14 days ago

Sad. Real. Loving wives.

AnonymousAnonymous14 days ago

huh?

AnonymousAnonymous14 days ago

Very interesting in that it tricks you into believing something else.

DessertmanDessertman14 days ago

That took me completely by surprise!

A very sad story.

PrincessNutNutPrincessNutNut14 days ago

I'm sorry I can't put a score on this story. Original, truly heartbreaking but so different to anything I was expecting.

Please continue to write stories, it's just that this is beyond what I can cope with.

AnonymousAnonymous14 days ago

very sad and thought provoking

PowersworderPowersworder14 days ago

Well that ending was 10x sadder than I expected.

I've heard of people getting early on-set dementia in their thirties, but is it even possible at 24? (Her age in the story).

AnonymousAnonymous14 days ago

Thanks for sharing...

Found this one difficult to vote on, manly because I don’t see it as being a LW, if you had put it in non-erotic I would have given it a 5*. However, cowering behind a cheating theme just makes the story squalid

AnonymousAnonymous14 days ago

Definitely different from the norm. Well done.

AnonymousAnonymous14 days ago

The parts do not fit dementia and cheating are not related

Burner70Burner7014 days ago

Shut it ( Justonemansopinion) it was a good story. Who cares if a word is misspelled. You still got through it. I bet your old lady cheats on you a lot . But that's just one man's opinion!

AnonymousAnonymous14 days ago

Totally blindsided by the ending. Expected the obvious, great job.

AnonymousAnonymous14 days ago

I appreciate the effort, but your desire to create drama and suspense does not supersede the constraints of reality; which means you can't bullshit the reader and expect forgiveness or understanding. Early onset dementia doesn't align with a woman becoming a argumentative slut, but being otherwise normal. Just the opposite. The reason its "early onset" is because its minor, random, and gradual. Its often a matter of what is forgotten and not done, rather than a complete change in personality or engaging in new behaviors. And it doesn't cost $12,000 to diagnose. Really? You expect a PI to come back with a medical diagnosis?

\

In the sequel you will report that after she was caught fucking around, due to mild dementia of course, she will go on medication and become loving and faithful again. And much much more careful about not getting caught. But even if she does get caught is won't be her fault, right? She's losing her mind! How about a little sympathy here? And she won't be home till Sunday afternoon. Sorry, no sale.

AnonymousAnonymous14 days ago

Not sure why you decided to post it here. Also who and his was the early onset dementia diagnosed. Generally it requires a competence test administered by a doctor and repeated regularly to confirm decline in brain function.

Waldteufel61Waldteufel6114 days ago

Well done! First time in forever the ending surmised me. *****

AnonymousAnonymous14 days ago

Much worse effect than cheating or even dying.

KaeyoKaeyo14 days ago

I looked it up, and up to 8% of dementia cases are people in their 20’s or 30’s. It’s called Young Onset Dementia, and is indeed a sad thing.

I wish the story had been fleshed out more, it was a great premise.

26thNC26thNC14 days ago

Definitely wasn’t expecting that twist. I read too many cheating stories I guess. That was a sad, great story

AnonymousAnonymous14 days ago

Stupid ending bad grammar

AnonymousAnonymous14 days ago

So, was the report on Sandy, on Rick .... or on wayniepoo62?

I can't remember!

\

\

Sorry, the subject isn't funny, but, since he never specified -- I couldn't resist.

dgfergiedgfergie14 days ago

Well.....you got most of us with that one, not sure any of us were expecting that. Sad.......4 stars

demanderdemander14 days ago

Surprise, surprise. D

JoeBetterBNiceJoeBetterBNice14 days ago

Creative twist on a familiar theme, so that gets an above average rating. Look for an editor though, or anyone to read through it and catch typos for you, as you should continue to write and share.

LT56linebackerLT56linebacker14 days ago

WOW!! JUST FUCKING WOW!!! I never thought of it. Horrible. but a great story. you're cruel, sir. Well done. My condolences. The Bear needs to go cry. Sorry.

The BEAR

pepepilotpepepilot14 days ago

Very well done with a subject that few know about.

Just_WordsJust_Words14 days ago

Excellent effort! The trick to writing stories like this is to be able to go back and not find a misstep. The author nailed it!

MikeOrMikeyMikeOrMikey14 days ago

That was very good and I cannot wait to read more.

Boyd PercyBoyd Percy14 days ago

Shocker at the end!

5

FaceForRadioFaceForRadio14 days ago

Wow…surprise ending! Five stars!!

AnonymousAnonymous14 days ago

Original.

.

Not so creditable, unless the PI's happend to be a specialist medical doctor that ran a battery of test without wifey knowing or remembering.

.

Three Stars.

AnonymousAnonymous14 days ago

Almost but not quite, a case of do your research hey! It could be possible for someone by your numbers to get EOD but highly unlikely [ like winning the opposite of a great lottery] Had you said 30 0r over years old bingo. And yes Hushjf is very correct, it takes a lot of professional testing and test to diagnose EOD.

On a brighter note thanks for your offering and look forward to your next offering best of fortune in your endeavours.

AnonymousAnonymous14 days ago

This was a story with a twist I've never seen before.

Well done

5 of 5

16GaDouble16GaDouble14 days ago

A bit of a sad surprise, there.

AnonymousAnonymous14 days ago

I don't understand why he had both sets or parents there to see what the report would contain. If he knew, have them there to discuss. But what if the report came back all clean on anything? What then?

BSreaderBSreader14 days ago
Touching

And emotional, we have a friend who was diagnosis with early on-sit dementia.

AnonymousAnonymous14 days ago

Excellent story in all respects, even the fact that it left me tears. 5S

AnonymousAnonymous14 days ago

Better than average. Cheating would have been a blessing by comparison.

Schwanze1Schwanze114 days ago

Brutal. And now he has to worry about the kids.

DADDY_LongLegsDADDY_LongLegs14 days ago

This piece takes you to so many places in just 750 words. It is almost as if it has the quality of dementia (a case I've seen in the family anyway) where the deep past is vividly present to the person but they have no memories that tie that distant past to the recent past to the present. Dementia is such a sad subject, but if you connect to it I would say go for it. Use your 750 story as a preface to something longer that goes deep into the subject of this dreadful condition.

The person I knew with dementia, someone I loved, would go through phases of near-clarity, at least relative to the chaotic and sometimes cantankerous qualities that would make the person seem a body without a history or personality. This person, even on the best days, would digress into random rambling phases interspersed with strings of numbers, spoken as if they held some inner meaning verging on coherence.

These are just ideas for you from my personal experience in case they inspire your story. I'd love to read your story if you did decide to treat the subject more deeply. I don't think it is something I would want to explore myself. Too much pain there, now that I see another family member going that way.

It would be really impressive if you could use a story to chart the long, slow decline from presence to absence of mind.

If you don't get to it, at least this piece stands alone in its quality. Good work!

JensensloverJensenslover13 days ago

This needs more than a 750 word story. As is, 2* all that build up to that poor ending.

MainefiddleheadsMainefiddleheads13 days ago

Early onset dementia at the age of 23? As a very short story line, I don't think it works well. There are very rare cases of it occurring in a person's 20s, the youngest known being 19 although the diagnosis has been questioned by some. The very few cases in their 20s were victims of pathological gene mutations that triggered hippocampal atrophy.

That said, meh. It's only a story.

MFH

LickideesplitLickideesplit13 days ago

Wrong category. Better in Horror Stories. There has to be a ‘Loving Wlfe’ to qualify. Sandy does NOT. Yes, the ending is a surprise, but the author was cheating his (or her) readers.

LickideesplitLickideesplit13 days ago

Addendum…

Matching with We, the Readers, is the fact that the narrator tells WTR Everything. And even a person with dementia is not likely to have some good days socially … single dimension characters.

2*

and yes, I do fell sorry for a family upon which this curse befalls.

AnonymousAnonymous13 days ago

wow can only agree with DADDY-LomgLegs so sad

AnonymousAnonymous13 days ago

I don't get it...does he have it, or does she? Poor topic to be part of an erotic story site.

EastCoaster1EastCoaster113 days ago

Sorry, Mainefiddlehead...

...you're wrong, trust me. Look up Lewy Body Dementia for one and there are others that can strike at young people.

Five stars for the heartbreak only implied in the story, but it is real.

EastCoaster1EastCoaster113 days ago

Further info: there are many documented cases of child Dementia, usually from a genetic defect, but it DOES happen.

It is VERY sad when it does...

muskyboymuskyboy13 days ago

Horrible diagnosis. Not sure how this is a LW story? Her "unexplained" absences should have been obvious to the husband and especially the PI. Not sure the PI could make that diagnosis and also not sure it ruled out her cheating. Pretty sadist of the author to imply that EOD would mimic a cheating spouse. A real disservice to real EOD patients.

Xzy89c1Xzy89c113 days ago

Ahh, the PI made the diagnosis? Silly.

AnonymousAnonymous13 days ago

Well, I certainly didn't see that coming! Nice shock value, but an unexpected and therefore silly ending. 2*

amanapamanap12 days ago

Smart and short high 4⭐️

oldtwitoldtwit12 days ago

Forget the 750 thing, not that that's not good to start with.

But that was a great story, so unexpected ending, fantastic.

AnonymousAnonymous11 days ago

So how does a PI diagnose dementia? a DOCTOR needs to do that, piss poor story.

AnonymousAnonymous10 days ago

That wasn't even a good start. It was sort of a portrayed of a couple with only the backdrop and no people in the picture.

detroitdave

XluckyleeXluckylee5 days ago

4 stars from Xluckylee for a sad story.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous