All Comments on 'Carla Dancer'

by flipnmelonfarmer

Sort by:
  • 7 Comments
nycreadernycreader17 days ago

Nice story; although not much is learned about Robbie and Carla besides their disappointing recent experiences with male/female relationships, their openness to and trust in each other are nice, and the sexual satisfaction which they get together is a reward for the reader.

(As someone whose undergraduate years ended in 1982 and who has not heard Molly Hatchet's recording "Flirting' with Disaster" in decades (I liked it on the radio, many years ago), I appreciated the allusions to rock ca.-1980 (including "London Calling")..)

I gave 5 stars -- although the story's rather short and s bit more copyediting would hvve helped ("too" new the end for "to"; "Clara" once for "Carla"), the story was quite nice, and I liked it.

Ethan/"nycreder".

AnonymousAnonymous17 days ago

Good story, gave it 5.

- but nobody in dorms then had a cell phone or number outside thebdorm you could call. "Will you call me?" would not have been said between people in the dorm.

flipnmelonfarmerflipnmelonfarmer16 days agoAuthor

To Anonymous - glad you liked it! I was in a dorm in 78-79 and we had a phone in the room. Guess that wasn't necessarily common at all schools!

nycreadernycreader15 days ago

Dear "flipmelonfarmer": although computer problems turned some of my earlier Comment to apparent gibberish, I hope that you understood -- or will understand -- that I also liked "Carla Dancer" (if I had not liked it, I would not have given it a 5-star rating, and I would most-probably have not Commented at all.

I will try to retype and successfully submit those parts of my earlier Comment which did not emerge as understandable English (or understandable in any language).

Meanwhile, I will note that in my own freshman (all-male) dormitory at a "prestigious" university in Baltimore, Maryland in 1978-79, I made do with a *shared pay telephone* (Alas; I guess I was "lucky" I didn't have much of a "social life" beyond fellow students who ate with me in a "dining hall").... ; I imagine that *possibly* telephone lines could have been installed in rooms, but my memory does not recall either the university or the local telephone company offering to provide a telephone line (my memory is blank concerning what I did or did not have for telephone service in another (also all-male) dorm in '79-'80; I *did* have a telephone line in an apartment in university-owned housing across a street from the campus for 2 years.

Ethan (in New York City).

nycreadernycreader15 days ago

(Attempt to post a more-comprehensible version of my first Comment:]

Nice story; although not much is learned about Robbie and Carla besides their disappointing recent experiences with male-female relationships, their openness to and trust in each other are nice, and the sexual satisfaction which they get together is a reward for the reader.

(As someone whose undergraduate years ended in 1982 and who has not heard Molly Hatchet's recording "Flirtin' with Disaster" in decades (I liked it on the radio, many years ago) , I appreciated the allusions to rock circa 1980 (including to "London Calling"). )

I gave 5 stars -- although the story's rather short and a bit more copyediting would have helped (I saw "too" near the end for "to", and "Clara" once for "Carla"), the story was quite nice, and I liked it.

Ethan/"nycreader" [who spent 4 academic years on and near Charles Street in Baltimore.]

flipnmelonfarmerflipnmelonfarmer14 days agoAuthor

To nycreader - thanks for the rating and comments and no, I didn't take it as a negative. Glad you enjoyed it! If you've read any of my other stories, you'll likely find that they have much more backstory and character building. I'm actually trying to (sometimes) write shorter stuff - create enough of the characters to make them real and then write a fairly short story about them. And hey, let's hear it for the Class of '82!

nycreadernycreader12 days ago

Thanks for your reply to my Comments, (author of "Carla Dancer") "flipnmelonfarmer"; Thanks also for your salute to those of us who ended our undergraduate years (way back, now) in 1982.

I had *not* read any of your other stories; I may look at at least one to see how much they resemble -- and differ from -- "Carla Dancer".

(I wonder if it might be worth your while to get Carla's roommate to actually make Jake the Nerd "lucky" -- both sexually and in having her be sincerely interested in him as a person -- in another story written from Jake's point of view.)

One note about "Flirtin' with Disaster" -- which I (too) remembered as "Flirting with Disaster" until Wikipedia told me otherwise when I looked it up): I don't think I heard it on radio in Baltimore (by 1982, I was actually listening to a country-music FM station in Baltimore; I don't remember when in my undergraduate years I switched from more "Top 40" AM to that station), but probably during one of my summer vacations in the New York City area, from New York "progressive rock" station WNEW-FM (the current Wikipedia article on that station's history can provide some information on the era of the station's history when I was listening to it (about 1978/1980 to maybe about 1982/1984 (about the time of the rise of Madonna) ).

Ethan/"nycreader".

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userflipnmelonfarmer@flipnmelonfarmer
4/22/2024 - I've spent the last few months writing on Medium as Anton J Pierce. Mostly writing about writing (erotica) but also a couple of short fiction pieces that will make their way to this platform. First (The Birthday Gift) should be out in the next couple of days. Hope ...