All Comments on 'Road to Nowhere'

by mynameisben

Sort by:
  • 8 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousalmost 12 years ago

witty and delightful! ... hopefully you left her in Yreka -- if not, you definitely need a new travel mate! ;)

kimbaleekimbaleealmost 12 years ago
hahahahah!

You are cracking me up! I hope your shin's okay by now, it seems you have had an extended recovery time. Let me know the next time you have an adventure like this planned and I'll volunteer to ride shotgun. I'll even bring the garmin so we can ditch the map and some snacks so we can skip the gross waitresses. ;) Great story, Ben. What a laugh.

Pirate TregarePirate Tregarealmost 12 years ago
palindrome fan myself!

There did used to be one, though. Went by-by in the 70s or 80s I think. Next door to it was the Yrella Gallery.

There's a Lion Oil in Alabama, I think. And surely there's an Elite Tile somewhere? How about Mr Alarm, for all your security needs?

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 12 years ago
there Probably IS, or WAS.

Try googling a picture of it ........ surprising results. Wiki has .

Harte had arrived in California in the [eighteen-]fifties, twenty-three or twenty-four years old, and had wandered up into the surface diggings of the camp at Yreka, a place which had acquired its mysterious name — when in its first days it much needed a name — through an accident. There was a bakeshop with a canvas sign which had not yet been put up but had been painted and stretched to dry in such a way that the word BAKERY, all but the B, showed through and was reversed. A stranger read it wrong end first, YREKA, and supposed that that was the name of the camp. The campers were satisfied with it and adopted it.

Allegedly.

and further.."The Yreka Bakery moved eventually to its long-time location, 322 W. Miner St., where it remained under several ownerships until it closed in 1965".

Well-Done tale, too.

Kilroy.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 12 years ago
REMINDS ME...

...of the Cat Stevens song...

... that had that refrain...

...

...good times

...THANX

damppantiesdamppantiesover 11 years ago
*snort*

Oh god, Ben.

I think I'll be smiling to myself the whole day now.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Yup. Able was I ere I saw Elba. A man, a plan, a canal, Panama! Eve! Also, I hear ya gotta check out Yrella Gallery. Nice capture of gal pal’s mood.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous