All Comments on 'Maryland My Maryland'

by carvohi

Sort by:
  • 36 Comments
mickymouse113mickymouse113about 10 years ago
Maryland

I assume then that Maryland is a state on the east coast close to Washington DC.

As a non American I would appreciate a tad more info on the general location of Maryland.

I.e South of DC and North of New York? Probably the opposite but then I haven't yet gone over to wikipedia to look it up yet.

An intressting read that was only hindered by my ignorance of the location of Maryland. Also is Maryland like Virginia in having East,North and south Maryland or do you mean the East of Maryland, East End of Maryland?

History is allways a fasinating read as its open to interrpertation based on the evidence available at the time.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 10 years ago
Also from Maryland

I enjoyed your article. Though raised near Baltimore there were a number of things of which I was unaware. I live in Virginia now in great part because of Maryland's high taxes and the how strongly Democratic it is. Of course I believe that high taxes and strongly Democratic go together.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 10 years ago
Informative

As a Baltimore, Maryland, African American woman, I find THIS article very very well written & appreciatively informative. Copied & reprinted for educational purposes. Thank you

AnonymousAnonymousabout 10 years ago
4*s

Excellent history, Carvohi .

I would like to add that in the war ,in one battle. A Maryland union regiment

found itself fighting against a Maryland confederate regiment .Fascinating thing

history huh ?

AMerryMan

AnonymousAnonymousabout 10 years ago
Really?

A history lesson on a porn site? Sorry, but to say this was "misplaced" is an understatement of heroic proportions. Maryland is a piece of dirt defined by imaginary boundaries. Who cares?

tazz317tazz317about 10 years ago
IN EVERY STATE

there are many rivalries, from top to bottom....Sports, food, architecture etc. TK U MLJ LV NV

AnonymousAnonymousabout 10 years ago
Excellent non-fiction historical perspective.

May not agree with your stories but a high "5" on this editorial piece. Since US history is one of our many hobbies - this was/is a well constructed POV. Thanks for sharing.

chytownchytownabout 10 years ago
Thanks***

For the information.

PTBzzzzPTBzzzzabout 10 years ago
The song you discuss, Maryland My Maryland...

is the only State Song that calls for the violent overthrow of our federal government.

Did you know that the grants of land creating Maryland and Pennsylvania overlapped? The Calvert family had a great advantage over the Penn family when the "official" border was negotiated in London, because Penn had not been in the New World and the Calverts had. The Mason Dixon Line was the result of those negotiations as you would well know.

You might be able to find a little about Cresop's Fort online. It was built along the Susquehanna River just south of Wrightsville Pa at a place called Long Level. There is a historical marker there.

I believe his first name was Thomas.

He was physically removed by Pennsylvania Melitia and told to not return.

He called the area "The most beautiful part of Maryland he ever saw."

shadowjack17shadowjack17about 10 years ago
Nice to see some patriotism

Which, yes, in my mind is defined by being insanely proud of your own state first and only secondarily the "United" States. (Does it show a little that this cowboy is from the Great Republic?)

Hey, O Anonymous critic: it's in the non-erotic category. For those of you who didn't get to study English in school, perhaps you should look up the meaning of the term. The best authors here, and Carvohi is, center their stories around things they know or are conversant enough with to make the story "feel" more real. Plus he's apparently Scots descent, which also is a huge plus in my book. People who don't study history repeat its mistakes, folks. And I do admire a man with pride in his state. And having lived for a few months in the oddest part of the nation (the part of Virginia that OBVIOUSLY should be Delaware or Maryland--the Virginia Eastern Shore), I totally get Carvohi's setting stories in the area.

Thanks for the lessons, by the way.

Brendan

AnonymousAnonymousabout 10 years ago
the import of geography

Let me start by saying I am not a self-appointed professor of English. I am a professor of English, with the yrs of reading,study, reading, thinking,and tenure to back it up.

I have been reading certain kinds of loving wives stories and some romance stories intensively for a few yrs now. There are writers here who rank with the best writers at work in any genre. They fall into 2 categories.

First, there is a one writer who for sheer over-the-top exuberance, wild creativity, passionatehumor ranks right up there with Salman Rushdie and Haruo Murakama. (go look them up; worth the small effort) That is StangStar. Writing in a genre is fine; pushing theformula as wildly as he does will set you free from the formula.

The other type of really great writers here are those who take us to a specific place and a way of life that is new to us, but which we can live in through the story. That is the Florida (as I think of it) of DanielQSteele, the Illinois of Rehnquist, the SW Missouri of the Hermit, the Texas of the best stories of Longhorn, the rural Louisiana of the now departed JimBob (his leaving the site was a real loss to literature, not just Literotica) AND Carvohi at his best. Stories like My Life WithSerena and The Curse of the Scots that take us deep into Maryland could appear in The New Yorker or any literary review.

Place creates character; character creates place. Thanks Carvohi.

SparksWillFlySparksWillFlyabout 10 years ago
Thank You

I'm tardy reading and responding, but as a fellow Marylander (Baltimorean), I'm compelled to thank you for this treatise. I commented on the story about the underground railroad on the eastern shore. The Custom House in Chestertown, presently owned by Washington College, was a destination for fleeing slaves. There were many abolitionists among the local residents, mostly church-based, who manned that railroad. My extended family was among them. The college let my wife and I spend a night in the Custom House. Great experience. I am a loyal reader of your stories. Now I have another reason.

ReadTooMuchReadTooMuchabout 10 years ago
Pride?

I appreciate the history lesson. What I don't see is any particular reason to be "proud" of Maryland's history. There was ugliness on both sides of the US Civil War, but I don't see the value in pleading the case that Maryland was actually a "southern" state.

And while most of what you wrote is about ancient history, pointing out that Maryland citizens where still proudly bigoted in 1961 might warm some modern "the south will rise again" nutcase, it hardly seems like something to be proud of.

oldwayneoldwaynealmost 10 years ago
As a long-term Kentucky Resident, I still consider myself a former Marylander.

Like there are no Ex-Marines, I guess I've realized there are no "EX" just "Former" Marylanders. Thank you for your remarks. I appreciate all of your work.

MisterBillBillyMisterBillBillyover 9 years ago
Thanks for the history lesson, no historian that writes our history school books wants us to know ! !

Realy thanks, I was born in Louisiana but lived mostly in Michigan, so what am I, both ? ?

bill.....10, but only 5 worked

JAUNTYOLDONEJAUNTYOLDONEalmost 9 years ago
Yankee !!!

Just to clarify things "Yankee" it's the same as a quicky . . .but you use your hands !!!

MaresEatOatsMaresEatOatsover 8 years ago
May 10, 1861

..only weeks after Baltimore, federalized German Home Guards surrounded and at bayonet point compelled the surrender of state militia in their annual encampment at Camp Jackson (named for the Governor) at Lindell's Grove in St. Louis, Mo. As the prisoners were marched towards the Arsenal, citizens turned out in protest, rocks and bottles flew, a shot rang out, and the Home Guards by rank turned and poured volleys into the crowd. No one knows the full casualty count, but Coroner's teams arriving reported 23 dead (including women, one baby dead in its mother's arms) and 57 wounded. Laying in a ditch, covering his young son from Union bullets with his cloak, was bystander William Tecumseh Sherman. The "Camp Jackson Massacre", together with the ignominy of the Planter's House conference shortly after, turned moderates into Confederates, inspired the General Assembly to vote war powers to the Governor and create the Missouri State Guard - and began the formal war in the state. Formal because, after all, they'd already been fighting Yankee invaders since the border wars of the early 1850s. They had no illusions about what Lincoln's call for troops or the presence of invading federal forces meant for self-government or hopes for peace in their state.

fanfarefanfareover 8 years ago
...and, just to be argumentive...

...My personal ideological bent shades into the ultra-leftist. As a peruser of history, I found myself intellectually unsurprised by the recent agitprop favoring secession by the teapotty crackpots and other American fascists being suborned & financed by Putin's Russian fascists. .

The secessionist's predecessors were traitors eight score years ago, The secessionists are traitors today. Their successors will be traitors a century from now. Just the normal ebb and flow of American society.

However, what has surprised me about myself was the emotional pain I felt. When I realized the apostasy being committed by the secessionists. In their renunciation of their Sacred Oaths to God and Man binding themselves in loyalty to the Federal Government, it's duly elected or appointed officials and the Constitution of the United States of America.

Here I thought I was a materialist atheist...Surprise!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 8 years ago
Mediocre story, just barely readable. 3* .

But whom is this cretin fanfare ?? I have looked up one of its stories, the man is total idiot.

oldwayneoldwayneabout 8 years ago
As a transplanted Virginia who spent most of his life in Baltimore, I applaud you for this effort!

Five Stars!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 8 years ago
Yea, But inner city Baltimore sucks!!

Use to live there 20 years ago and it was lovely. Then the blacks took over and the city is going down hill ever since.

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
Stupid

Maryland is a stupid state with stupid people, Ravens Sucks! O's Sucks! Terps Sucks! Inner Harbor is nasty and you was just ranked as one the worst cities and states to live in.

this site is for erotic stories.... since you are from maryland, i guess you cant read! stupid ass maylander....

(NYC and South FL 4 Life)

foolscapfoolscapover 7 years ago
oldest church in america?

San Miguel Mission, also known as San Miguel Chapel, is a Spanish colonial mission church in Santa Fe, New Mexico. Built between approximately 1610 and 1626, it is claimed to be the oldest church in the United States.

The Church of St. Luke and the Jamestown Church are the two oldest churches still standing in what was the original thirteen colonies, as well as the two oldest Protestant church buildings in the United States. The two are both located in the original territory settled by the British in the early 17th century, though there is some controversy over exactly which one is older. The first Protestant church in America was constructed at Jamestown in 1617, but this was replaced by a larger more permanent structure in 1639.

The Old Trinity Church in Maryland lays claim to being the oldest church in America in continual use. It was constructed sometime around 1675, and became the center around which the town of Church Creek later grew up. There is some controversy about the dating of Old Trinity due to the fact that there are no town records available prior to the 18th century.

foolscapfoolscapover 7 years ago
methodism in maryland

The history of Methodism in the United States dates back to the mid-18th Century with the ministries of early Methodist preachers such as Laurence Coughlan and Robert Strawbridge.

Robert Strawbridge began a Methodist work in Maryland at the same time as Embury began his work in New York. They did not work together and did not know of each other's existence. Strawbridge ordained himself and organized a circuit. He trained many very influential assistants who became some of the first leaders of American Methodism. His work grew rapidly both in numbers and in geographical spread. The British missionaries discovered Strawbridge's work and annexed it into the American connection. However, the native preachers continued to work side-by-side with the missionaries, and they continued to recruit and dispatch more native preachers. Southern Methodism was not dependent on missionaries in the same way as mid-Atlantic Methodism.

PTBzzzzPTBzzzzover 7 years ago
Maryland my Maryland

...the state song calls for the violent overthrow of the Federal government. It is the only, to my recolection, state that does this.

Grew up in Washingon, DC. Used to live in Baltimore, now in southern Pennsyltuckey.

InsigniaInsigniaover 7 years ago
Amazing

That an author would go out of his way to pen a history and not at one time mention the original inhabitants. Nantcoke, Shawnee, Lenape, Powhattan and others were all displaced They don't have an option of flying a flag backasswards to show they lost that war.

Histiry is written by the winners and while you go out of your way to show some untidy events that don't jive with the larger national narrative you missed an opportunity to include the most neglected population in our country.

Lord Baltimore and Calvert were not butchers like Jackson or Chivington but between broken treaties, racist policies, smallpox, liquor and infighting the original inhabitants place in history is relagated to place names like "Towanda" which translates as "where we bury our dear".

When you choose to fly your flag in a way that celebrates traitors you appear a fool or worse to those whose ancestors died on battlefields or prisons like Andersonville.

I enjoy your stories I visited Maryland for only 5 days and enjoyed it tremendously. I have even learned to like those crazy Terp flag helmets since Maryland joined the Big 10. As the son of Scots and Germans as well as Menominee and Lakota I realize that in history one size does not fit all. You don't have to pull a Michner to get a grasp of a place but realize how easy it is to whitewash our history.

Thanks for your piece

StormKing33StormKing33almost 7 years ago
5* Unusual for LW.

Thank you. Liked the lesson.

rightbankrightbankalmost 7 years ago
Well Written

Thanks for the Information.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 7 years ago
Old Family

My Great Grandfather was a Tabacco farmer and general contractor in Southern Maryland. He was a CSA Cool. and road with Gen. Jackson. We always fly our flag the old way. When people tell me, I'm wrong I tell them to look it up, Thanks for the great report. Also save your Dixie Cups, The South will rise again.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Home Sweet Home

Born and Raised on DelMarVa. Caroline County mostly. One of the unfortunate facts of life is that official history is written by the winners.]

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Nice job.

I used to play ball in Delaware. When we played New York we were hillbillies, when we played Baltimore we were yankees.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago
Maryland

Why was it named Maryland?

carvohicarvohiabout 3 years agoAuthor

Someone asked where Maryland got its name. Actually the original George Calvert wanted to call it "Crescentia", but changed his mind. King James I wife was named Henrietta Maria. He decided to name it after her, and called it Terra Marie. That' how Maryland got its name. Pretty cool name. Pretty cool place to live too.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago

I enjoyed and was greay enlightened by your history of the great state of Maryland. Don't know if you've aware, but on Michigan has an unofficial state anthem "Michigan, my Michigan" which utilizes the melody of "O Tennenbaum" as does "Maryland, My Maryland". Keep up your greawriting!

JohnAmalfi4104JohnAmalfi4104over 2 years ago

Hurrah for Maryland from a Canadian who has always wanted to visit there, and who was mistaken for a Marylander by a Marylander in Ontario once.

dirtyoldbimandirtyoldbimanabout 1 year ago

very interesting ad thanks. I could spend hours on Wikipedia checking the people, events and places you mentioned.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous