All Comments on 'Christmas Eve Visit'

by jonthechaosman

Sort by:
  • 18 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago

I couldn't vote on this story. I think it was written well, although it was short. The reason I could not vote is because it was so sad, sorry.

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
Wow man...

That was heavy!

I thought it strange, may be some kind of emotional protective response from me, but your brief vignette brought back a memory of my own.....

A million years ago, it seems-back in our early 20s, a few buddies of mine lived a bachelor existance in what was absolutely a party house. After the first year of christmas decorating, they never took down the tree. It stayed up in the corner of the common room year round. People invited over would always ask why didn't they ever take down the tree? The running joke was that they were too busy and/or drunk and/or stoned to get around to it. "may be tomorrow". And the "real" reason was that some drunk asshole vomited in the damn box that the fake tree had come in, so there was no way to store it. And so that damn tree stayed up year after year, until they finally moved out.

But it seems the real reason was actually that Dan, (the main guy on the lease), didn't have too many happy memories of Christmas. He was the only child of parents with a bad marriage; he spent too many christmases looking forward to something special, that never amounted to anything more than disappointment. His first "Merry" Christmas was the first one that he spent, on his own- but with roommates/friends, and parties. It was admittedly corny, but keeping that tree up year-round helped him to realize that there COULD be magic at christmas time, and it WAS something to look forward too after all. At the very least, all of the questions about 'why was the tree up' would stop for about a month or so.

The answers as to 'why' for this story DO rely in the basic human need to get out and about with other people. Isolation and lonliness become a breeding ground for despair. I'm not sure this message will help you win any holiday story contest. But I am sure that it is no small accomplishment, to tell such a big story with so few words.

It is a good job to bring about such emotion with your writing.

I just fear that MOST people won't be so receptive to sharing these feelings.

Sadly, the score will probably reflect this. But keep writing anyway, and thanks.

SW_MO_HermitSW_MO_Hermitover 9 years ago
Outstanding Tear Jerker

*Well written and so, so sad. You could sure feel his sorrow. The only thing that would have made it better was if, somehow, on Christmas Eve Santa had arranged a replacement for him. 5 *'s.

Sid0604Sid0604over 9 years ago
a sad tale...

Well written. So much pain. I hope there is a sequel where he finds a reason/someone to live for.. to love.

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
WOW! A very powerful story.

The way you have thought about what you want to say and can put it so succinctly, is a huge affirmation of your talent. To be able to convey the emotion and the raw realities of grief in such a short is masterful. It is really melancholic and exposes such a rawness that I seldom see or feel vicariously through literature. Moving.

betrayedbylovebetrayedbyloveover 9 years ago
Jeez

Oh man. Sad just doesn't give this justice. This fate should never happen to anyone. Damn this tale choked me up.

God help all of us

mel_pomenemel_pomeneover 9 years ago
Sad and touching

This was a truly remarkable piece of writing, John. I hope that putting it down so lucidly might help you to move on. I would like to think that is what your wife would say, too. Thank you, and I hope your Christmas is better than you expect it to be -- five stars and a big hug.

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago

I cannot imagine the pain of losing my wife or children. Such a sad tale reminds me to be even more thankful for the love and time I can spend cherishing my loved ones. If this is a reflection of a terrible ordeal you are facing my heart and prayers go out to you.

jonthechaosmanjonthechaosmanover 9 years agoAuthor
Thank You

Thank you everyone for your comments. Please know that this is not real. My wife and kids are alive and well. The idea started on a day I was feeling pretty blue. I thought about my family to cheer myself up, then it occurred to me that not everyone could do that. I then thought of how horrible it would be to lose my family, especially with the holidays coming up. The result of those depressing musings was this sad tale.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 9 years ago
pain

Real, emotional pain. Powerful words, Jon. Excellent story.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
this really did happen

just before christmas last year ( 2014) a grand father,a grand mother and thier grand daughter were run down and killed , in the middle of Glasgow,,,exactly as you described ,,,,,check goodle

agamemnon2262agamemnon2262over 8 years ago
Sad

This story just tucking sucks!

Pasqual_ClementePasqual_Clementeover 2 years ago

A Hauntingly Sad Christmas story. Well Done!!! Thank-you.

-

Pasqual

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Solid

orneryonezorneryonez4 months ago

That one destroyed me!

RePhilRePhil4 months ago

Wow can’t really see clearly now let the tears dry before I comment further

RePhilRePhil4 months ago

How many have the same Christmas. Too many I would imagine

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous