A Bangin' New Year

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Mmmm, good points," Louis remarked.

Jose wrote "NICE!" on the legal pad sitting in between them without ever taking his eyes from the front. Bri saw Katie covertly flip her off by scratching her cheek with her middle finger.

Bri knew what she did was low, but she just did not want to work with Erin. She knew Erin's uptight, nitpicking, drill sergeant ass would make the training miserable for her and throw her off her game. She wanted to do well for the bonus and end the year as the top earner. She sat back with a satisfied smile. However, for a newbie, she underestimated just how sharp Allen was and the lengths anyone would go to avoid working with Erin. "Well, I think the opposite is true, " Allen spoke up.

"You do?" Louis asked.

"Yes, I also think she will benefit from hands on, but with a challenging audience like Miami as you mentioned. As an exec, those are the main participants she will be interacting with anyway. Not the ones in the smaller cities. Plus, the very best way to learn is with the best and we all know who that is." Allen pointed to the sign on Bri's chest and sat back in his chair. Checkmate. Bri was two seconds away from stuffing the certificate down his throat.

"Both good points," Chuck acknowledged. He looked at Erin. "Well, your call. Whatever you think it best."

"Let me think," Erin said.

Bri held her breath. Don't be a bitch. Don't be a bitch. Don't be a bitch. Don't be a bitch. She thought to herself. After what seemed like forever, Erin finally pierced those sea green eyes right into Bri's and sealed her fate. "I will go with Bri," she said.

Bitch! Bitch! Bitch! Bitch! Bitch! Bitch! Bitch! Bri screamed inside of her head. Everyone else sat stunned and just happy to be out of the line of fire. Allen smiled. "Ok, that will work, Chuck said. "And I like the idea of you being a part of the actual training instead of just shadowing. So you and Bri take on St. Luke's, and Jose, you join Beth and Crystal for the training at Hillside Medical. Jose just nodded at Chuck and then drew a sad face on the legal pad. Bri's heart sank.

As Bri made her way wearily back to her cubicle, she passed Chuck. "Hey, thanks for training with Erin," he said.

"Yeah," Bri answered solemnly. "Whatever I can do to help."

"You know that will not be the only opening we have," he said cheerfully."

"I know I know, Bri answered."

"Just think about it." Chuck gave her a wink and headed towards is office.

Bri went to sit at her cubicle. The company had been after her for a year to apply for one of the team lead positions that were always opening up. She had been with them four years and they had invested a lot in her. Besides her many years of training and workshop experience, any time a special conference opened up, Bri was always one of the select few that was sent. The company was looking for her to step up and take more of a leadership role. She was somewhat already in the role as she became an unofficial mentor to the new trainees and helped them learn good training strategies, best ways to prepare, and how to write up reports.

Bri knew it was time to step up, but feared the sacrifice. As a team lead, it was no more hanging out and goofing with her friends after a training session. Team leads attended 10 trainings a year and the rest was administrative duties, such as meeting with execs, writing up reports, and making sure the team was on track and producing quality presentations. She would definitely have to clean up her act and be more serious. Bri hated responsibility.

But the role did come with more perks. She didn't have to do any actual trainings and the bonuses were much bigger and based on performance of the team overall.

Plus, there were also other opportunities she was missing. Aztech was a young company and eager to have their employees just as competitive and skilled as the ones from the more established medial companies. Aztech had a tuition reimbursement program where they would pay for an employee's Masters or PhD degree in full if they committed to a certain number of years working with them beyond graduation. Bri knew she should take advantage of it, but preparing a graduate school application usually got pushed to the side when trying to map out which bars and clubs she wanted to hit at the next city destination.

The evening before leaving for Miami, the four of them found themselves at Mackenzie's throwing back drinks. Bri throwing them back the hardest. "This fucking blows!" she shouted as she swallowed her Jell-O shot. She put up her hand to signal the bartender for another, but Jose grabbed it.

"Ok, you have had enough, he said. "We still got to fly out tomorrow."

"I do not want to this presentation with her!" Bri yelled out. She was really drunk.

"Calm down, Bri, it is not that bad," Jose said. Forever the peacemaker.

"Easy for you to say," she replied. Since Jose had deprived her of her Jell-O shot, she went for his beer.

"Listen to him, Bri," Beth chimed in.

Jose tried to grab his beer back. "Look, it's just a 4 hour presentation," he said. "You do that together and you are done. You don't even have to ride back to the hotel with her. We can all meet back after the training and have a bomb New Year's Eve. Hell, we're flying to Key West the next day. Just think about that."

Bri began to consider it.

Crystal added her two cents. "Yeah, Bri. Don't give her the satisfaction. Four hours and you're done with her ass. Plus, it looks really good if you pull this off. Training a future executive and all."

"Sure does," Beth offered.

Bri took all of this in and thought for a moment. "I guess you're right. I just got to get through those few hours. Not so bad."

"Damn right," Beth agreed. "Now let's plan for what's really important. New Year's Eve night, baby!"

By the time Bri drunkenly stumbled into her apartment around 1am, she was actually feeling a little better about the training. It looked like things were going to work out fine. She had a flight out to Miami at 11am. Luckily, it was a late training so after the plane landed, she had time to get to the hotel, change, and ride over with Erin to the hospital. After the training, she was dropping Erin like a hot potato. She planned to take a separate cab back to the hotel where she had time to get a little bit of rest before Alejandro's car would come and pick them up and take them downtown to his penthouse. Bri was not making any excuses for what she did that night and was open to everything. After spending hours working with Erin, she was going to need it.

On New Year's Day, Alejandro's private jet would fly them to Key West for two days and then bring them back to fly out on the 3rd. Bri couldn't wait. Still drunk, she began to half-heartedly pack before she gave up and went to crawl into bed. She had enough time before the flight to finish packing, get her training materials organized, and work off the hangover she knew she would have when she woke up. Setting her alarm for 8, she settled deep into the covers; feeling better about the training and looking forward to the New Year's Eve bash.

She got the call around 4:08 am. It was a shrill ring from her home phone that pierced the quiet apartment and had Bri jump up in bed with her heart pounding. In a momentary daze, she didn't know what the sound was until she looked at her nightstand. Panic seized her as she knew the only people that called her on that phone were her family and if they were calling at this hour, it was an emergency. Bri rushed to grab the phone. "Mom?!"

"Good morning, Bri, we need to get going." Bri didn't recognize the voice. "Huh, who the hell is this?"

"It's Erin McKinnon. I didn't have your cell number and got this number and your address out of the office directory. Look, we have a 6:30am flight and I will be by your place in a taxi in about half an hour."

Still half asleep and in a daze, Bri was trying to make sense of it all. "Who? Erin? What are you talking about? The flight is at 11. Why the hell are you calling m-"

"There has been a change of plans. I was talking with Louis and Chuck late last night as we were getting the budgets ready for the teams and we thought more about your idea of being hands on, but staying with a smaller audience. So I suggested we take Allen and Katie's assignment and they can do St. Luke's with Jose. They get to grow, as you suggested, and I get the other experience. Bri sat dumbfounded. "But their assignment is in Amherst. That is 4 hours away from Miami!"

"Yes, that is why we have to take the earlier flight to fly into Miami and then another plane to fly into Amherst."

"This is bullshit," Bri protested. "You can't just change the plans like that. And why didn't anyone tell me earlier."

"We left several messages. Check your phone."

Bri looked at her phone base to see that four voice messages were on it. In her drunken stupor, she had not even checked when she got home.

Erin continued. "Plus, we have the right to change any plans because we are the bosses and we did. This is about work, Bri. The job you're getting paid for. Not what city you prefer to be in to party. Be ready when I get there." With that Erin disconnected the line.

By this time, Bri was wide awake and seething mad. She felt like throwing the phone against the wall. So she did and watched it bounce hard and crack on the floor. It landed right next to her open suit case that still needed to be packed. "Shit!" Bri shouted as she jumped out of bed.

The next half hour witnessed her racing like a mad woman to try and get everything ready. By the time Erin arrived with the taxi, Bri was still running around trying to get everything together. Being a chronic over packer, she had to make 5 trips to the taxi and came out with clothes, toiletries, and training materials in suitcases, shopping bags and in her arms. Erin just stood by the taxi watching her and grumbling a few remarks about the meter running, the budget, and being properly organized. Bri's arms were too full to slap her. As the taxi finally took off for the airport, Erin rode up front as Bri used the entire backseat to finish packing unsuccessfully.

The airport became an even bigger disaster. By the time they arrived it was almost boarding time for the plane. Bri's last bag would not close and she still had belongings in shopping bags. Everything was spread out on a bench and the floor as the other airport patrons bustled around them. It was an embarrassing mess. Bri looked over at Erin. She stood red-faced and impatient as she waited for Bri and holding her boarding pass and neatly packed luggage. Bri eyed her carry-on bag.

"Hey, how much room do you have in that suitcase?" Bri asked her. Bri figured she expertly packed lightly. Erin looked down at the bag. "Why do you ask?"

"Come on just help me out. Without waiting for permission, Bri rushed over and grabbed Erin's suitcase, opened it, and looked inside. "Just what I thought," Bri said. The bag had been neatly packed with a set number of clothes, two slim shoes boxes, and books.

"Mind if I put some things in here?"

"No, it will make it too heavy for a carry-on."

"Then we will just check it."

"I never check my bags. I pack efficiently enough to have the one suitcase and this shoulder bag to carry on the plane."

"Well we can't all be as perfect as you. Plus, it's your fault I'm in this mess since you didn't give me adequate time to pack."

"You knew you were flying out today. You should have already been packed. Why did you bring so much stuff anyway?"

"Oh, get off it Erin and just help me." Bri began stuffing her items into Erin's bag, but there were still many of her clothes and shoes left over. Bri started taking the shoeboxes and books from Erin's suitcase. "What are you doing?" Erin protested. Bri shoved the items towards her. Just put these in your other bag to carry on. Erin reluctantly took them from her and stuffed them in her other bag. Bri was finally able to get everything in, but the bag looked seriously over stuffed, as did her other two bags. Erin reluctantly helped her get them all over to the counter at which Bri was charged additional fees for each bag because of the weight. Erin scowled at the amount.

"Hey, don't you travel with SamrtTags," Erin asked as she watched the bags ride to the back on the conveyor belt. "Never do," Bri answered. "Waste of time and money." Erin rolled her eyes as they rushed towards security.

Bri still had her training materials in shopping bags, which caused a significant hold-up and much snickering at the security check point. Security called ahead to the ticket counter to hold the plane. By the time Bri and Erin boarded, they were greeted by a full plane of passengers giving them the stink eye for delaying the plane's departure. When they finally got to their seats, both women were beyond embarrassed and furious with the other. Bri got stuck in a middle seat between an angry Erin and a huge guy in a window seat.

Bri stewed as the plane ascended into the air. Usually her last minute, fly by the seat of your pants high jinx always seemed to work out without the embarrassment or hold ups. Erin was already ruining her vibe. With her hangover still throbbing and the lack of sleep catching up with her, she figured she might as well use the time on the plane to rest. She laid her head back in the seat and closed her eyes.

Erin had other ideas. Bri heard Erin pull down her meal tray. Bri popped one eye open in time to see Erin pull Bri's tray down as well. She pulled out her laptop and then placed some documents on Bri's tray.

"Ok, let's go over the training agenda and then what the layout for the day will look like."

"Erin, I have been doing this same training for years. I don't need to go over anything and would like to get some rest since you got me out of bed at the butt crack of down with no warning." Bri let her seat back.

"I really want to go over this. You may know it, but I don't and we have not worked together before in this type of manner." Erin glanced down at her with those sea green eyes. Bri noticed a change in her demeanor and put her seat back up. Was that nervousness in Erin's eyes? Bri looked closer. Wow, she is terrified Bri thought to herself. Bri sighed and grabbed one of the documents. Since she wanted to end the year as highest ranked trainer, she decided to go over the agenda with Erin so they would not completely embarrass themselves once again.

By the time they landed in Miami, they had thoroughly gone over the entire agenda and Bri was feeling better. She tended to be like that. She could be seething mad about something and then get over it just as quickly. Just fly into Amherst, knock out this training, and then back to Miami, Bri said to herself. However, at baggage claim, Bri's anger returned as they were the last ones left standing waiting for the three luggage pieces. "Where the hell is it?" Bri demanded out loud.

"We have to get going. The plane for Amherst is going to depart soon," Erin said worriedly.

Bri cut her eyes at Erin and then stomped over to the attendant in the little office area for their airline. Erin followed.

"Hey, our bags have not come in yet. Can you check on it for us?" Bri asked the attendant.

"Name, please?"

"Brianne Miller."

The attendant picked up the phone. "Did you label your luggage? Makes it easier to track."

"Um...no."

Bri heard Erin stewing and grumbling behind her. The attendant was on the phone a few seconds and then hung up. "I'm sorry Ms. Miller, but it looks like the bags have been misplaced. She handed Bri a paper and clipboard. "Go ahead and fill out this claim form and we will get a search on it as quickly as possible."

"You lost our luggage?! All of our clothes?" Bri screamed.

"I'm really sorry ma'am. We will locate it as soon as we can."

Erin was fuming. "Just great. Great. All of our stuff is lost. No clothes or anything. You just had to use my suitcase. Who the hell packs that much? What are we supposed to do now, wear our training materials?!"

"Well it would certainly be an improvement over what you usually wear," Bri shot back.

The attendant began to shift nervously.

"Just fill out the damn form. Our flight is about to leave. Again." Erin said.

Bri angrily filled out the form and gave it to the attendant. Next, the two of them, once again, dashed like mad to the other side of the massive airport to make the plane. They made is just in time. It was a small, dinky plane and sitting at the back, Bri and Erin could feel every bump.

"This is just great," Bri complained. She looked down at her sweatshirt and faded jeans pants. "What the hell am I going to where?"

Erin rolled her eyes. "We will just have to find you something when we get there. We may have a little time, but not much."

Bri looked her over. Of course, Ms. Perfect had the sense enough to wear a blouse and dress pants on the plane. Although out of fashion, it was passable for a training session. And of course, she was wearing one of her scarves.

"Just had to say we would do the Amherst presentation," Bri snipped.

"Don't blame me. You should be more prepared."

"I have been doing these presentations for years without a hitch. The one time I'm with you and my whole day goes to shit." With that Bri turned her body and tried to rest her head for the rest of the bumpy ride.

Once they and the few other passengers arrived at what barely could be called an airport, they found a driver to take them to the only local clothing store open on New Year's Eve. Bri was horrified at the limited offerings in the small town and settled on a very conservative blouse and old time skirt. She grabbed some hard black shoes to complete the outfit. They did not have any coats and the weather in Amherst was significantly colder than Miami. It was also expected to get worst and rain was coming.

Bri looked in a mirror. She looked terrible. Erin was even fashionable compared to her and actually smirked once she saw Bri emerge from the dressing room. Again, Erin was seconds away from being slapped without knowing it.

By the time they arrived at St. Luke's they had stopped speaking to one another. Bri took a moment to duck into a bathroom and put cool water on her face. "Just get through this training," she said to herself. "It's New Year's Eve. You can do this."

Taking a deep breath, Bri left and found her way to the training room. Erin had begun to set up and training participants were beginning to file into the room and sit down. They both looked at one another as if to say, "Let's just put everything aside for these next few hours." Both women were about getting their shit done.

Once the training started, the old Bri kicked in. Her instincts returned and despite a horrible morning and questionable outfit, she was right back to her funny, charming, and easy going self. By the time their last break came around, she had calmed down considerably.

Bri was spending the break texting back and forth with Jose and the girls. Even with the setback, things looked like they were going to work out. After the training was over in an hour, they would get a ride back to the airport and wait for the plane to take them back to Miami. Since they started so early, there was still time for Bri to rest and get some shopping done if they still did not find her luggage. She could rest and be ready for the parties tonight and Key West tomorrow. She was feeling better.

There was also another bright spot that she hated to admit. Despite everything else, she and Erin worked well together. Who would have thought? Through the entire training, they were complimentary, gave each other space, and supported one another. Bri expected the typical Erin response of being bossy and taking over, but it was the opposite. She completely respected Bri's role in taking the lead. Yet, she contributed in her own way by backing Bri up and offering her considerable knowledge on the history of Aztech, and every piece of medical equipment they made and distributed. The training participants appeared engaged and satisfied throughout the entire time. It was a very smooth training and Bri was sure the evaluations would put her in front for trainer of the year. That bonus was going to be nice.