A Long Wait

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Stella changed tack and yelled, "You were so upset you couldn't even be bothered to write to me."

"I did write to you but you never responded."

Stella ducked that one and went on, "I loved you when we were children, and when we were teenagers you've no idea how you hurt me with all those girls. I could see it was hopeless so..."

"I loved you Stella," Kirk yelled more forcefully than he intended, "but you never said a word and I thought..."

"That's your trouble Kirk Reynolds, you never think. If you really want to know, I'd have done anything for you but you didn't want me."

"You never said..."

"And neither did you."

"So you end up letting a shit like Nick screw you...Nick, who's now happily spreading the news."

There was another long pause as the combatants regained their breath, and then Kirk said quietly, "You didn't love me, did you; you're only saying that to get at me, to blame me for what you did with Nick."

Also calmly Stella said, "I did love you Kirk, I almost worshipped you, but I couldn't say it until you gave me a sign that you felt the same about me. All the years we were apart it was always you I thought of. Crazy isn't it. I even avoided coming home so I wouldn't have to be hurt, seeing you with...with someone else."

"You know Stella, I've screwed around, but I never wanted any of it to be permanent. I wasn't always sure why, but I suppose I was always looking for you in other women, and could never find you."

"Kirk," Stella said softly, "there's only been the once, with Nick, and that was only one night and I felt dirty afterwards."

Kirk smiled ruefully and said, "I suppose that makes me more of a slut that you."

"Let's not add up the scores, Kirk," Stella replied, "there's no winners in that game, only losers."

"You know I love you very dearly, Stella. When we were kids you were always there for me and I often wasn't there for you, but now, count on me, no matter what."

"No matter what, Kirk? Be careful, I might take you up on that."

"I'll be waiting," Kirk replied tenderly.

"I think I'll be okay now, Kirk, and perhaps we both need time to digest what we've said. Don't let's talk again for a few days; if you need anything there's still Nick."

Kirk smiled grimly and said, "I'll bear that in mind."

Set in Concrete

There was contact with Stella later that day. She rang Kirk that evening with the news that, "It's okay, it's started."

"What's started?"

"My woman's thing."

"You mean you weren't pregnant after all."

"That's right."

"That'll be a relief."

"Yes, but I don't think I'll tell Nick for a while, I'll just keep him in tenterhooks."

"Yes, good idea," Kirk said thoughtfully.

The next day he went to Nick's office.

Nick looked up and smiled saying, "What now old chap?"

"That concrete pour on Friday."

"I thought we fixed that Kirk."

"There's an ingredient I'd like to add."

"Ingredient; what are you talking about Kirk?"

"I'd like to add you, Nick, have you tied down to the reinforcing and watch the concrete being poured over you."

"What...what the hell are you talking about?"

"You Nick, I'm talking about you and Stella; I'm talking about her pregnancy."

"I'm not responsible for her..."

"Pregnancy? No of course you're not Nick, it's one of those other guys isn't it; one of those other guys that Stella screws around with, right?"

"Yes...yes...of course it is."

"Well Nick, you've got one lucky break because, you see, I wouldn't want to go to jail for you, but...and you'd better take this in...if ever I learn that you've tried to screw Stella again, and if I hear that you've been spreading any more lies about her, I might just overcome my aversion to jail and give you your just deserts.

"I hope I've made myself clear because I won't be saying it a second time. And in future I'll do my business with Stella. Good morning Nick."

Ring Out the Bells

It is one of the sadder aspects of our humanity that we tend to condemn most enthusiastically in others the shortcomings or, if you are of religious bent, the sins to be found in ourselves.

Fortunately in the case of our hero and heroine this tendency did not apply, at least in regard to each other.

Having declared their love, in their view what was past remained in the past. Perhaps the only surprise, given how things are these days, was that Stella over the years had only briefly one lover, if that is the appropriate term for such as Nick.

Regarding Nick, he made no further attempts on Stella, nor, as far as could be learned, he did not circulate any more obscene rumours about her. He did however, get his comeuppance.

It came about in this way; in seeking extramarital pleasures he picked on one of the secretaries, with his usual offer of upward mobility. The young lady took exception to this approach, and perchance she had a lawyer sister who specialised in cases of sexual harassment.

The case was settled out of court, but it did come to the attention of the McGregor Constructions Board. This was not the first time the Board had been made aware of Nick's sexual exploits. In the past they had chosen to ignore these exploits since, to give him due credit, Nick was a very efficient CEO. On this occasion however they felt they could not let it pass because if it had come to court they, the Board, might be held in part responsible for the situation.

In order to keep the matter low key they did not dismiss Nick. Instead they suggested to Nick that his talents might be better employed elsewhere. Soon after this suggestion Nick departed the organization going, as he put it about, on to better things. What the better things were was never revealed, nor has anyone found out since.

As for Stella and Kirk, after their long journey to emotional maturity the wedding bells finally rang out, although in fact there were no actual bells ringing. They opted for a quiet ceremony in a rather obscure chapel.

As a final note, let it be said that when, some little time after their marriage, Stella's "woman's thing" failed to happen, there was no gloom, in fact there was rejoicing. There have been two more occasions for rejoicing on similar grounds since then.

It had been a long wait, certainly, but so often the best things are worth waiting for.