A Phoenix Story: Living The Hand You're Dealt

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Millie, please call me RJ, it's less formal and I like to keep it that way."

Millie replied with a smile, "Thanks, I will."

********

A few minutes after handing her a bathrobe, Scott followed his wife to the bathroom. He closed the door behind them and took Millie in his arms. She was biting her lower lip with obvious fear as she looked up into his face, "Scott, I am so sorry, please forgive me."

Scott looked at the beautiful lady standing before him, "Baby, I love you. There's no need for you to apologize to me for anything." Then kissing her gently, he could taste the tears that started to flow. He leaned against the sink so they could see and hold each other more comfortably.

"You made some really bad decisions last night. Fortunately they didn't end up causing either one of us a lot of grief or pain but they easily could have. We can talk about everything when you're feeling better; I think we just need to take better care of each other from now on. I do so love you Millie."

Millie held Scott close and said through her sniffles, "I love you too sweetheart. We can talk tonight, afterwards you can show me how much you love me, up close and personal."

Scott kissed her again as he replied, "I would love to show you right now, but it will have to wait until tonight. And don't worry, this isn't just another empty promise. We are going to make it happen tonight, even if I have to quit my job. Now take your shower, your stuff is in the gym bag on the floor. I'll see you in a bit."

Millie shivered involuntarily at her lover's comments then sent him out the door as she got ready for a shower.

As Scott left the bathroom he had a lot on his mind, 'I know Millie, she isn't the cheating type. Going to that lounge was a huge error in judgment, even if it was a good set up by Borrows.

'To begin drinking without the other people Borrows had supposedly invited was a major blunder. Dancing with the jerk was way out of line; we do need to talk about those things.

'I know I get focused on the job and she gets lonely. We just need to tweak our relationship. This was a good wake-up call for both of us. We will take the time to sit down and get all our issues resolved.' Scott felt so fortunate to have Millie as his wife.

********

Millie came out a short time later looking refreshed. She found RJ sitting at the small table with breakfast consisting of eggs, toast, orange juice and hot coffee. "Where are the boys?" she asked.

RJ smiled, "Scott is talking to some detectives and Darren has

wandered over to the office to finish some odds and ends. The

corporate big wigs don't seem to be very happy about Mr. Borrows' idea of 'fun and games.' They've decided to offer him a fast track option to a career change."

Millie thought about what RJ said as she sat down and fixed herself a cup of coffee. Leaning back she inquired, "May I ask what the main office intends to do with Mr. Borrows?" She took a long sip of coffee as she awaited RJ's reply.

The cute little blonde cocked her head and a big smile formed on her face as she said, "They canned him, fired his dumb ass with prejudice, without even giving him the opportunity to resign. He has now become a national unemployment statistic."

"Oh," Millie blushed, her red hair making the glow of her neck and face even more pronounced. "I didn't want to..."

RJ interrupted her, "Let's see, Borrows and Spilman planned on drugging then raping you. They are low life scum; the detectives said Spilman is already rolling over on Borrows.

"Seems they've played their sick little game on a few other women and the police are very interested. Hopefully that information and the drink glasses which should show evidence of the GHB or some other date rape drug they used will be enough to put them away for a long time.

"Darren has been watching how Will Borrows operates for some time. Over the last few years, some of the younger married female employees who worked with Darren suddenly resigned after an evening of partying at the lounge in this hotel.

"The other women never talked to Darren, but since this is where I work part-time Darren asked me to keep an eye open. I saw some things that weren't kosher, but since no one complained, Darren couldn't do anything.

"Yesterday Darren found out Mr. Borrows had set up an office get together with four other employees, the only catch being, three of those other employees didn't know anything about it. Well, luckily I had been called in to work last night and could watch over you.

"At first you were sending mixed signals. You were dancing, almost cuddling before you suddenly walked off the dance floor. That was when I was pretty sure you weren't playing along.

"The reason Will kept getting your drinks is Spilman was lacing them all evening, including the two untouched ones at your table. They were slick.

"I was constantly around your table and that had the two of them a bit unnerved. I called Darren, who in turn phoned Scott before coming over to deal with Borrows.

"When Burrows stepped out to get a room, he and Darren had a bit of an encounter before Darren came in to watch over you. Spilman was obviously agitated when he spotted Darren sitting down at your table with no Mr. Borrows in sight.

"Scott and the vice detectives arrived moments after you passed out. They sorted through all the stories and I gave them the glasses from your table which I'd been able to hide before they were able to be washed.

"Spillman was obviously worried, as I was helping Darren get you out the door, I saw him make a beeline for your table. He sure looked upset when he discovered there were no glasses, full or empty.

"Let's just say, while you were resting comfortably the idiots were in for a long night of questioning. Now, with Spilman talking, both of them are about to take a vacation at the taxpayer's expense.

"So you see Millie, whatever you do, don't waste any sympathy for either of them. What they deserve isn't sympathy." RJ seemed pleased with her rendition of events as she told them to Millie.

For her part, Millie just sat in stunned silence. As the full realization sunk in of how close she had come to a nightmarish situation which would have ruined her life forever, tears of gratitude... and fear flowed down her face.

RJ left Millie alone with her thoughts and sat on the balcony taking in the morning sun. Some time later Millie joined her.

Leaning against the rail she said, "RJ, thank you so much for helping me last night. I think I have been on a pity party about Scott's work schedule and just wanted to be around people last night. That will be the last time I ever do anything like that."

Flipping her hair out of her face, she continued with a hint of irritation "I wasn't trying to come on to Will." As she spoke about Will Borrows, Millie's voice switched from irritation to one full of venom and her lip curled in disgust, but she continued. "I don't want anyone else, I truly love my husband and he is all I want or need, I'm so sorry I caused all this hubbub."

RJ looked up and softly replied, "Sweetie, you didn't do anything, Will Borrows and that idiot bartender Spilman did. You were just another innocent victim they were setting up for their sick perverted depravity. You're just lucky I got called in last night and that Darren has been watching Borrows closely for weeks.

"You were on a crash and burn course last night Millie, but like the Phoenix Bird of legend, you rose from the ashes..." RJ's face suddenly took on an almost remorseful expression, as she continued in a small voice, "You got a relatively free ticket to a second chance."

Millie noted that RJ had been very animated in her hand and facial gestures until she started talking about the Phoenix Bird. She said the last few words in an almost forlorn tone.

RJ quickly recovered and Millie asked, "Last night Darren said something about Borrows trying to come out of the closet. Then you said earlier Darren had an encounter with him. Will Borrows is so much bigger and works out regularly. I can't imagine Darren getting into a fight with someone like that?"

The reflection of the sun off RJ's eyes gave Millie the impression they were twinkling as RJ replied, "First off, I'm not sensitive about discussing Darren or his injuries. I understand what you are really asking. How could Darren with his bad leg face off, and hope to hold his own, against someone such as Will Borrows?

"After Darren was hurt in his last year of college he had to learn to use a cane. His physical therapist convinced him during his recovery to enroll in martial arts to help strengthen his arms and legs. Darren's sensei taught him how to use his cane as a devastating weapon. He isn't going to win in a prolonged fight but in a quick or unexpected encounter he can be downright mean.

"When Darren got here last night, I told him Mr. Borrows had gone down the hallway towards the restrooms and the check-in desk. Darren immediately went to find him, after checking the restroom he eventually found Mr. Borrows renting a room for the night. Mr. Wonderful was telling the kid at the front desk he was going to be extremely busy for the rest of the night with his very drunk date.

"Now, when my hubby walked down the hallway towards the lounge he did a 'dumb' thing, but it was all Darren could think of at the time. He waited at a water fountain across the hall from an open mop closet, hiding his cane beside his leg.

"As Will Borrows walked by towards the lounge, Darren slammed the metal handle of the cane between the bigger man's legs from behind. Then Darren reached out grabbed Mr. Borrows' belt, at the same time pulling the cane handle back causing a second trauma to Borrows' groin.

"When Darren told me about his little interaction with Mr. Burrows, he said the sound of air rushing from lungs coupled with the surprise "Oh Ssshhhiiittttt!" was very satisfying.

"Even though Mr. Borrows was doubled over from pain, Darren spun him around facing the mop closet. After getting his cane released which took a few extra violent jerks, he shoved Mr. Borrows in.

"Apparently Borrow's head smacked into the wall pretty hard and he slid onto his knees, face first into a dirty wet mop. Darren turned off the light and shut the door, leaving the dirt bag for someone else to mop up."

Both ladies couldn't resist a good laugh at RJ's corny sense of humor.

"That's where the cops found Burrows, disoriented and confused. The detectives are calling the circumstances surrounding Mr. Borrows' claim he was assaulted as fanciful. They believe he was a bit drunk, wandered into the closet by mistake, and fell."

Millie stared at RJ then said with a growing giggle, "Trying to come out of the closet, now I get it. But didn't the detectives take Darren's statement? I mean he could get into serious shit, sorry, I mean trouble over something like that."

RJ had a mischievous grin as she said, "Actually Scott told the detectives he interviewed Darren and told the detectives my docile little hubby had nothing more to add. Since Burrows didn't get a chance to see who did it, he had nothing more to add either."

Millie looked at RJ and began laughing, "You two are something else. Thank you again."

While studying RJ, Millie was trying to figure out how to word a question.

RJ looked up at the younger woman and said, "Go ahead Millie. What is it you want to ask me?"

Millie blushed at being caught, "Sorry for staring. I was just wondering... did you ever go to college? I'm not trying to pry, but you look and act like you could do more than just deal with lounge lizards."

RJ giggled, "Hmmm, where to start? Ok... let's see... I have a bachelor's degree in art which is all but worthless. I guess I could do something else, but ever since I started working at the lounge part time, I discovered I really like the job and it's a lot of fun. Plus whenever Darren feels up to it and we can get a babysitter, he drops by and spends some adult time with me."

RJ fell silent. From her expression, Millie could tell she was pondering whether to continue or not. "Millie I am also a silent partner who owns a share of the lounge. My working there allows some quiet oversight in the running of our establishment.

"A few years back I came into a small chunk of money, Darren looked around for investment opportunities and I decided on the lounge. So far the gamble has paid off; it's proved to be a lucrative investment over the years.

"I would appreciate if you kept that quiet. None of the other employees or for that fact, managers know anything about what you just learned and I would prefer to keep it that way."

In utter disbelief, Millie asked, "You are a part owner of the lounge downstairs, and you work as a cocktail waitress?"

RJ had to stifle a laugh at Millie's expression, "Yep, I like to keep my finger on the pulse of the place. I am especially glad that I did with the situation which developed last night. It was very fortunate my bartender didn't know who I was. Enough about that, are you feeling better now? Head clear?"

Millie nodded, "You know I am just an average girl from a small town not far from here. I went to school, had boyfriends, experimented with sex, bruised my heart on a couple of guys and met Scott when I was finishing community college.

"I heard being a cop's girlfriend or especially one's wife could be lonely and hard on the nerves. Up until the last few months things had been fine. Now I just want Scott at home with me, I am scared for him all the time.

"We never seem to get time off together and there are times I feel like our lives are just passing by. I'll bet you don't think of things like that with Darren?"

RJ smiled weakly, then said, "Let's go to the ladies room, after that grab some coffee, and then we'll sit back down so I can tell you a story that will probably shock you."

Chapter Two

After returning to the deck with their refreshments, RJ sat staring out over the river. It was a beautiful view from the balcony.

Millie could sense the obvious tension RJ was feeling as Millie watched her nervously play with her fingers. With her lips pursed, she looked at Millie with an intense haunting stare.

"I think it's best to try and tell this in Darren's own words as he has related it to me over the years," RJ said with a deep sigh.

"In high school Darren had been good enough to be a starter in baseball and track... he did so love to run." As RJ stopped for a moment to wipe a tear from her eye, Millie realized for the first time she was about to learn the truth behind Darren's injury. From that point on, she slowly became mesmerized as the story mandated her full attention.

"But, he was never going to be offered a scholarship to any College or University and his parents didn't have the resources for him to attend one of the more expensive prestigious schools. Instead, he chose a small liberal arts college near Madison, Wisconsin for their business school and cheaper cost, trying to get the biggest bang for his buck, so to speak." RJ continued to speak, but her voice was lost as Millie only heard the words as they begin to form a spectacular visual of Darren's story.

**********

Darren enjoyed his first two years on campus, partying, studying, and happily losing his virginity to one of the few women who came his way. Darren knew his lean runner's build was unlikely to attract any of the "A" list girls, but that was okay with him.

In high school many of the real hot babes were too self centered and money oriented. He didn't care for their attitudes... or have any extra money. Darren figured out in a hurry there were more than enough other girls with the so called 'correct attitude' to choose from.

About three weeks before the end of his second year in college, Tonya, his girlfriend of six months, introduced him to a cute little redheaded fireball nicknamed 'Red.' She was a freshman who had taken a liking to the group Darren hung out with. Although bubbly and a bit opinionated, she was not at all unpleasant. She even made a few positive comments about Darren's current relationship with his black girlfriend.

Red told them one night, "I think it's good for different races to date each other. What if my future better half is a better color than I am."

Tonya and Darren couldn't help but laugh before Tonya goaded, "I think he also liked the fact that I was willing to give it up for him." Both girls giggled as Darren blushed a deep crimson.

"I like to think it was the first reason that brought us together," he sputtered.

After licking her finger, Tonya made a hissing sound as she pressed it to her ass, "This, lover, is almost too hot to handle." Winking, she gave him a seductive smile, "But you handle it well."

Darren's shoulders slumped in defeat as he looked at his girlfriend, "Ok, I do enjoy your special attention too."

That had both girls laughing and high fiving.

**********

The rest of the school year went well, wrapping up almost too quickly. Since he and Tonya were going to rent the apartment for another year, the recess gave him the opportunity to go home and make some extra money.

He had hooked a summer job as a delivery man for a family friend, or as his dad called it, the pack animal. It was relatively easy and paid well.

**********

Upon arriving back at school in August, Darren instantly knew something was amiss when Tonya was waiting for him in the apartment with her arms crossed over her perky breasts. If there were any doubts, they vanished with her words, "Sit down... we need to talk." Her tone was pleasant but not warm and her greeting was downright cool.

'Great,' Darren thought, 'back to the dorms. I was looking forward to a fun partner to share the apartment with for another year, maybe more.'

Darren sat down looked up at Tonya and said, "Ok what's up?"

Tonya said, "This is weird, when we started the summer break, I was actually looking forward to spending the coming school year with you. But I met someone a couple of days after I got home and, well, we are head over heels in love.

"I always enjoyed our time together, I can even say I was developing feelings for you, but it wasn't love. At least not like this.

"So I am backing out of the apartment, but not to worry, I got you a roommate to take my place. Only you don't get special attention from this one... sorry."

Darren was a bit confused, "Who? Do I know him? He's not gay is he?"

"Well yeah you know him, only just not too well andhim is named Becca," Tonya replied.

"Who?" Darren asked with a look of utter confusion etched on his face.

"You know... Becca... 'Red' from last year. We kept in touch over the summer and she knew what was going down, so she is willing to share the place with you. There are just no special benefits or touching unless she gives you permission, OK? This way you don't have to lose the place or move back to the dorms."

Darren looked at Tonya, "Well, thanks for telling me up front, and for finding a replacement. I wish you luck. Hope it works out for you."

Tonya bent down and kissed Darren on the cheek, then whispered, "Thanks baby, I knew you would be ok with it." As she was leaving, she turned and waved.

Darren just sat there taking stock of his feelings. It didn't take to long to understand he really didn't love Tonya, but did have some feelings for her. He knew the pain he felt was only his bruised pride from the sting of her unexpected rejection.

'She was the best I've ever had,' he admitted to himself. 'I'm sure going to miss her body..., but I do wish her the best. She's one fine lady.'

With a grin he realized there was a small silver lining to this otherwise dark cloud. Now he didn't have to explain about his little slip with an ex-girlfriend's younger sister at the Fourth of July party.