All Comments on 'A Truth Half Told'

by Cromagnonman

Sort by:
  • 19 Comments
Sidney43Sidney43about 11 years ago

About the middle of the last page I started to see the light at the end of the tunnel. While it is a bit of a stretch to think that Mark would not even inquire who the prospective young lady was before sailing off to find his fortune elsewhere, it is a nice story. The bits of humor sprinkled in here and there definitely made for easier reading.

virago920virago920about 11 years ago
not bad

not bad for half a story now tell us what happened after the two of them tell their lying parents to bugger off and take off to unknown places for 10 to 15 years with no contact. possible scenario, the parents receive an anonymous message that when the youngest grandchild turns 21 all 4 grandchildren will be informed that their grandparents are alive after all.

mcollectmcollectabout 11 years ago
You did it again

I always look for your work and am never disappointed. Good read, but I saw the end way too soon.

SparksWillFlySparksWillFlyabout 11 years ago
Originality

Is gold. Witty and interesting story with a well-executed original twist. I think some more interaction and character development would have moved this up toward masterpiece, but as is it's a five plus.

bruce22bruce22about 11 years ago
Fine piece of work

Complex plot, difficult to believe that it work in the normal world, but as a story very well done and entertaining. TU CM

TavadelphinTavadelphinabout 9 years ago
He did lie to Mark - he said he had not heard of his parents -

But that aside - it was all good -

The upper crust live differently than the rest of us commoners LOL

In any country -

Nicely done -

GoesGruntGoesGruntalmost 9 years ago
Bah!

Should have apologized to Kate an walked away from them all. I suppose if Kate'd been willing to renounce her family and walk away too that might have worked.

Parents on both sides lying like that couldn't ever be trusted again...

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
Finish The Friggin Story

It's nothing if it's not finished, and it's not FRIGGIN FINISHED!

Maitre1962Maitre1962about 8 years ago
I agree with Goes Grunt

I would have told BOTH sets parents to go to hell! They are manipulative bigots!

In his shoes I would have asked Kate to come with me and start a life on our own. I would have renounced BOTH families and would have walked out of their lives.

Otherwise, the story was up to your usual high standard. :D

SampkyangSampkyangabout 8 years ago
1* for the effort

WHAT A SHALLOW group of fucked up characters! NOT a romance! There is zero true love here!

Yuri5Yuri5almost 8 years ago
sometimes reality is stranger than this fiction

it's not that unheard of to be honest. the parents basically wanted to get him into an arranged marriage. he left, they arranged a job for him behind-the-scenes without his knowledge, and tested him out with the girl. not unheard of at all. a bit of a throw-back, but these days, well - the parents would have to fix their attitude, even if all else ended well. thanks for writing

ScorpioJJScorpioJJover 7 years ago
Nice twist

Others say they should walk away to spite both sets of parents. Why? They were right that the kids were a good match and each knew the other wasn't in it for the money. Since money wasn't the motive, why not enjoy it anyway. They will need cash when the next set of kids arrive. Wouldn't want to repeat it too many times though, this is why so many royals and aristocrats became terribly inbred.

Tw0Cr0wsTw0Cr0wsover 7 years ago
@ScorpioJJ 12/17/16

re:

this is why so many royals and aristocrats became terribly inbred.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not really, that mostly comes from them marrying their cousins and _only_ their cousins for generation after generation after generation.

The idea being to keep their power in their family.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago

I'd of told ALL of them to Fu** Off, except Kate. Then I'd wound of told George that I quit, gone to my place packed my things, and move to another country, without Kate. A relationship built on lies won't last long..to bad our parents started this shit..half told truths, BS!

GoesGruntGoesGruntalmost 5 years ago
Just Walk Away

Did it matter that Kate wasn't part of the deception? Yes.

Should Mark walk away? Yes! Yes! A thousand times yes!

Disown both sets of parents. Leave it up to Kate if she wants to come along but there would never be the slightest reconciliation after a deception like that. It's no better than forcing the marriage.

Cracker270Cracker270over 3 years ago

Well written, I saw the ending coming by the end of page two. I would also add that were I in that circumstance I hope I would have the courage to walk out. Those kids don’t have a chance

Diecast1Diecast1over 2 years ago

A very good story, love it. AAAAAA++++++

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

This is a clever story. A good read!

Thoughts: I went methodically to find my wife. 50+ happy years. Most people don't.

I have a friend who insists arranged marriages are the way to go. I have friends from India that tell me it worked for them.

Why? The typical haphazard dating puts the emphasis in the wrong places, instead of on the things that make for a strong and lasting marriage.

This is as story that lets both concept be aired. Really thought provoking.

AnonymousAnonymous25 days ago

Great twist to the story.

Amazing how a person loves someone, and they have to almost come to that realization before they realize they have loved them all along. Makes me chuckle ----

The end was rushed, and it could have been expounded on a bit further. Overall, a good read.

Good job.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userCromagnonman@Cromagnonman
1289 Followers
I'm a pretty normal average male, chronologically well over 18 but psychologically I'm not so sure. I have been writing as a hobby for many years and now that I have time on my hands I am looking to become more professional at it. I enjoy reading, morning walks along the river...

SIMILAR Stories