All She Ever Wanted Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"It's the beer man," Trevor bellowed, lugging in a case of honey ale.

"I also got some soda," Rebecca added on a much quieter note, her hands full of plastic grocery bags. "Plus chips and things."

"Hey, good choice," James said from a doorway down the hall, eyeing the box in Trevor's hands. "That stuff is almost as good as mine." Trevor marched off in his direction. Melissa and Rebecca followed after.

Walking into the expansive kitchen they found Daniel tending to popping popcorn in the microwave. Seeing the bags in Rebecca's hands he pulled several sizable ceramic bowls off the shelves in front of him and put them on the kitchen table. "I think we'll have enough to munch on," he said. "And enough beer."

"In Texas this is just enough to wet one man's whistle," Trevor drawled as he and Rebecca deposited their purchases on the table.

"Trevor, I don't think we're in Texas anymore," Rebecca said in a little girl voice. Everyone laughed.

Melissa and Rebecca began dumping bags of chips and pretzels into the ceramic bowls while James and Trevor put the honey ale into the refrigerator, once they'd made sure that everyone had a bottle. As soon as Daniel finished with the popcorn they each took one of the big bowls plus a small bowl for an individual serving and carried them into the living room. They settled in. Trevor and Rebecca claimed the love seat, while Melissa and James each took an end of the full-size couch. Daniel, having put it to a vote, loaded the first DVD which, due to one of the drawbacks of democracy, was one of the guy's selections. He then sat back in the recliner.

Once the movie started Rebecca allowed as how she could think of worse things to do than watch Mel Gibson move and Melissa concurred. An exchange of lighthearted banter continued throughout the film. The mood shifted when the movie Melissa and Rebecca had selected, an intense drama, began. By the end everyone had been deeply affected.

"Whoa, I think it's time for a pizza break," James said as the final credits rolled up the screen. "That was heavy." He asked for everyone's choice of toppings and went into the kitchen to phone in the order.

They chatted about the movie for several minutes and then Rebecca got up to use the bathroom.

"Have you written any new songs lately?" Trevor asked Daniel.

"A couple. Nothing very substantial."

"Any chance I could hear them?"

"Sure, come on," Daniel said, retracting the recliner and standing up. He walked down the hall and into a small room filled with musical instruments and recording equipment with Trevor and Melissa right behind him. "I've got a rough demo of one of them," he said as he flipped a couple of switches and pressed some buttons. A moment later the sound of his guitar backed with a drum machine and electric bass poured through the speakers and then came his voice.

Melissa liked the song. It seemed strange to her, though, given his general depression, that it was very upbeat. Rebecca appeared in the doorway.

"Cute," Trevor said. "It's a fun song. Not much to it but it's fun."

Melissa looked at Daniel expecting him to look hurt but he only nodded in agreement.

"I haven't recorded the other one yet," Daniel said as he turned off his equipment. He pulled his acoustic guitar out of its case and gestured toward the door. "Why don't we go back out to the living room. It'll be more comfortable."

James joined them as they made a semicircle around where Daniel sat on the couch. This song was dark, intensely personal, and left them all silent at the end. The glimpse into Daniel's deep pain was disturbing. Daniel, sensing their shock, broke into a spirited rendition of 'Camptown Races' until the mood had lifted. As he was turning to lean the guitar against the back of the couch, after sliding the pick between the strings, Trevor reached out his hand.

"Mind if I borrow that," he said. "I like the song, yours not Stephen Foster's, though I like his song too. But I doubt if I could sell many records of such gloom and doom."

"Yeah, I know, I wasn't trying to pitch it," Daniel said as he handed Trevor the guitar.

Melissa was surprised when Trevor launched into a soulful version of 'Amazing Grace'. Rebecca and Daniel joined in with harmony, smiling at each other. It was a warm sweet moment. Next Trevor played 'Other Plans'. Melissa felt tears flowing. Hearing him sing it with only a guitar accompaniment filled her with a sense of poignant intimacy.

"Well, buddy," Trevor said when he'd finished, "I assume you're going to the Country Music Association awards since 'Other Plans' has been nominated for Song of the Year."

"I guess," Daniel replied with an obvious lack of enthusiasm. "I'm not sure there's much point, the competition's pretty fierce."

"Oh, I don't know," Trevor responded, "it's a great song and a couple of the songs nominated probably won't make it for political reasons so I'd say you've got a good shot at it."

"Yeah, well, you could be right. It just doesn't feel real somehow. I wish Cathy were here to share this with me." His voice broke. There was another moment of strained silence which Trevor interrupted by starting into one of the other songs of Daniels' he'd recorded.

Trevor was in the middle of playing 'You Can Take Me Home To Mama', the song that had launched his career as a recording artist, when the pizza delivery person arrived. James opened the door to let in a young full-figured woman holding two pizza warming bags. Her eyes grew big as she entered the room. Trevor stopped singing.

"Oh my God, you're Trevor Trent. Oh my God!" She exclaimed. James grabbed the pizzas, apparently afraid she was going to drop them. "I love your music. Can I have your autograph?"

"No place is safe," Rebecca said wryly. "They'll find you anywhere."

"And this is the man who wrote 'Other Plans'", Trevor announced, waving his strumming hand in Daniel's direction with the pick clasped between his thumb and forefinger.

"Oh my God! I love that song," the woman said. "I can't believe this. You really wrote that?" She asked, turning her large grey eyes at Daniel. He nodded with a bemused smile. "I want your autograph too."

"What's your name?" Trevor asked.

"Mindy. Mindy Coleman." She seemed to shrink a little.

"What do we owe you Mindy?" Trevor said kindly, placing the guitar carefully on the floor and pulling out his wallet.

"Twenty five dollars and fifty four cents."

"Here's thirty two. Plus a couple of autographs."

Ten minutes later Mindy left clutching her empty pizza warming bags and expressing her delighted thanks. James had spread the pizzas out on the kitchen table. Daniel set out plates and everyone dug in. Returning to the living room they decided to watch the second movie that Melissa and Rebecca had picked out, a comedy this time.

The time passed quickly. Melissa was more than a little surprised by the level of comfort she felt with these four people, especially the three men. It was fun to relax and enjoy the movie in the company of such lively down-to-earth people.

"Well, we'd better be getting back to the motel," Trevor said as the fourth video ended. "We've got to head for Des Moines pretty early tomorrow. It's been a great day. Thanks Daniel."

Everyone got up, sought out their coats or jackets, and began putting them on while expressing their appreciation for Daniel's hospitality. Daniel followed them to the door and stood there as they got into their cars. He waved as they drove away.

12
  • COMMENTS
1 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousover 18 years ago
Good

Still enjoying your story. Hope to read more soon.

Boyd

Share this Story

READ MORE OF THIS SERIES

Similar Stories

A Mother Always Knows A sweet tale of hope.in Romance
Garage Sale When the end arrives you still have memories to get rid of.in Loving Wives
"I'll see You in the morning." The fallout from just one night with a celebrity.in Loving Wives
It's Just a Number Wife's choices come back to haunt her.in Loving Wives
Are You Fucking Serious? It was a bit of a shock to his system.in Loving Wives
More Stories